monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Real Music

Fri 15 May, 2020 12:10 am

https://i.imgflip.com/xyf64.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 15 May, 2020 04:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
“The darkest winter in modern history” may soon be upon us, while Trumpists are obsessed with a new conspiracy theory writes Michelle Goldberg in a NYT opinion

Obamagate Is a Fake Scandal. Rick Bright Described a Real One.
Quote:
Recently people on the right have started pushing a ludicrous pseudo-scandal they’re calling Obamagate. It holds that investigations by Barack Obama’s administration into Russia’s attack on the 2016 U.S. presidential election were a form of illicit sabotage of Donald Trump and his team. The story doesn’t really make sense, which is why, when asked about Obamagate, President Trump couldn’t describe it. But at the heart of the conspiracy theory is “unmasking,” the routine practice by which national security officials find out the names of Americans who appear on intelligence intercepts of foreign actors. Trumpists have tried to turn this into a sinister and portentous term.

Obamagate exists to rewrite the history of Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference to make Trump the victim, rather than someone who actively sought Russia’s help and then took steps to reward the nation’s president, Vladimir Putin, for providing it. Trump often accuses others of misdeeds that he is guilty of; recall his sputtering response to Hillary Clinton calling him a Putin puppet in a 2016 debate: “No puppet! No puppet! You’re the puppet!” In Obamagate, he is accusing his opponents of politicizing intelligence because of a political vendetta, which is what his administration is currently doing.

Richard Grenell, the erstwhile Twitter troll now serving as the acting director of national intelligence, just released a list of Obama officials whose “unmasking” requests revealed the name of Michael Flynn, who would soon become Trump’s national security adviser. Flynn had lots of sketchy contacts before Trump’s inauguration. Besides a call to the Russian ambassador at the time, Sergey Kislyak, that he lied about to the F.B.I., he was also tied to a purported scheme to kidnap and extradite a Turkish cleric living in Pennsylvania, among other escapades. Naturally, his name surfaced in foreign communications monitored by American intelligence agencies, communications that national security officials had good reason to want to learn more about. Republicans, however, seem determined to pretend to believe that Flynn was the target of a deep state plot.

This sub-Benghazi conspiracy theory could be cropping up now because the right hopes to use it against Joe Biden, who as vice president requested one of the unmaskings that turned up Flynn’s name. It’s even possible that Trump’s lawless attorney general, Bill Barr, might use Obamagate as a pretext to open an investigation into Biden. But Obamagate is also a way to distract at least some segment of the country from a very real and very grave scandal: Trump’s calamitous mishandling of the coronavirus crisis, exemplified by suspected political retaliation against Dr. Rick Bright, one of the government’s foremost vaccine experts.

Last week Bright, the former head of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, a federal agency responsible for vaccine development, filed a whistle-blower complaint. He claimed that his attempts earlier this year to get the government to take the new coronavirus seriously were rebuffed, and that he was removed from his job after resisting pressure to fund “potentially dangerous drugs promoted by those with political connections and by the administration itself.”

On Thursday, as Trump was on Twitter asking Senator Lindsey Graham to drag Obama before Congress, Bright testified before a House subcommittee. His message was devastating. He described months of government lassitude early in the coronavirus outbreak, and an administration that has yet to even formulate — never mind execute — a plan for containing the pandemic.

Below viewing threshold (view)
hightor

Fri 15 May, 2020 04:43 am
The Conspiracy Theorists Are Winning

America is losing its grip on Enlightenment values and reality itself.

Quote:
Friday prayers at the Mustafa Mahmoud Mosque, Cairo, September 21, 2001. Two thousand worshippers, some tense, some angry, some oblivious to the grim new reality. The preacher, Ahmed Youssef, vented his anger in two directions: at al-Qaeda (“gangsters,” he called them), and at the United States, which he described as a paragon of hypocrisy.

The founder of the mosque, Mustafa Mahmoud himself, displayed no such complexity. I met him after prayers. He was an old man, a famous physician and philanthropist, and an Islamist of influence. His television show, Science and Faith, was watched by millions.

“I understand you want the answer,” Mahmoud said. His aides had already shared with him some of my questions, which included: Why did al-Qaeda attack America? What is the cause of their rage?

I said, Yes, I want the answer.

“Waco,” he said. I’m sure I looked baffled. Mahmoud went on, “The Branch Davidians attacked the World Trade Center, the McVeigh people. The Mossad gave them help. Did you know that the Israelis who work at the World Trade Center were told to stay home that day?” This, he said, he knew from the internet.

It was only 10 days after the attacks, and the schematic of a convoluted 9/11 conspiracy theory was already being rendered across the web. Mahmoud told me that no Arab could have executed the attacks, because Arabs “aren’t coordinated enough to do this.”

“What does bin Laden know about American air travel, anyway?” he asked. “He lives in Afghanistan.” Mahmoud was strident in his conspiracism, except that his arguments, to him, weren’t conspiracy theories at all, but provable, credible truth, hidden from honest men by perfidious schemers. In a column published before the 9/11 attacks in Al-Ahram, the largest state-directed newspaper in Egypt, Mahmoud had described the nature of the deepest threat to civilization: “What exactly do the Jews want? Read what the Ninth Protocol of the ‘Protocols of the Elders of Zion’ says: ‘We have limitless ambitions, inexhaustible greed, merciless vengeance and hatred beyond imagination. We are a secret army whose plans are impossible to understand by using honest methods.’”

By the time of the attacks, Egypt had entered a state of civic decomposition. The people loathed their leaders, and the leaders feared their citizens. Ordinary Egyptians were impotent in the face of universal corruption and cynicism, periodic food shortages, political repression, and profound economic insecurity. In this climate, people who were legitimately flummoxed by the complexity of the modern world found in conspiracy thinking a comprehensible explanation for their unhappiness. Anti-Semitism, often manifesting itself in the form of the Protocols, a century-old Russian forgery that posited the existence of a Jewish plan for global domination, was one tool used by the powerful to direct anger away from the governments that failed them. Countries “where vicious anti-Semitism is rife are almost always backward and poor,” Walter Russell Mead once wrote. They aren’t backward and poor, he argued, because the Elders of Zion have conspired against them; they are backward and poor because they lack the ability to “see the world clearly and discern cause and effect relations in complex social settings.”

The Middle East is a cauldron of conspiracy, a place where the most bizarre theories often have real policy consequences. Saul Lieberman once said, “Nonsense is nonsense but the history of nonsense is scholarship.” I would add: The influence of nonsense, when unchecked by science, by direct observation, by a shared epistemological reality, can be profoundly damaging.

Eight years later, in a windowless Austin, Texas, warehouse, the conspiracy theorist Alex Jones was explaining to me why he, like Mustafa Mahmoud, disbelieved the investigated and proven truth of what happened on 9/11. Jones is a top-tier conspiracist, a professional one, too, and I visited him at his headquarters to find out for myself if he actually believed the idiocy he peddled—that the government controls the weather; that Bill Gates is secretly a genocidal eugenicist. The list of absurdities has no end. It always seemed outlandish to me that otherwise smart people (Mustafa Mahmoud was one of Egypt’s leading physicians) could sincerely believe in theories that stand in opposition to logic, Occam’s razor, and accreted fact. My assumption about people like Jones was that they were nihilistic grifters, exploiting innocent people seeking to satiate the deep human need for coherence.

Jones told me he was busy; I could have 30 minutes. Four hours later he was still talking—we were having dinner at a Mexican restaurant by then—and I was looking for an exit. He was nuts, and therefore exhausting. It was an afternoon filled with statements like this: “We’re living under tyranny. The bankers, the New World Order, they’re using the War Powers Act to grab our guns. This isn’t a republic. Come on, if you say the bankers are forcing fluoride on us, if you call 9/11 an inside job, they’ll destroy your life, that’s how evil they are.”

I had spent years in the Middle East listening to complicated nonsense, and I was familiar with the long and dismal history of Russian conspiracy-mongering. It was always a relief to know that in the United States, conspiracism was usually—not always, but usually—a marginal phenomenon. Men like Jones were more often than not a source of bemusement, not a cause for fear. Healthy societies develop antibodies to protect themselves from fantastical thinking, and America, democratic, free, and transparent, was a healthy society.

I was wrong, of course.

“Your reputation is amazing,” Donald Trump told Jones in late 2015. “I will not let you down.”

And he hasn’t. Trump does not defend our democracy from the ruinous consequences of conspiracy thinking. Instead, he embraces such thinking. A conspiracy theory—birtherism—was his pathway to power, and, in office, he warns of the threat of the “deep state” with the ferocity of a QAnon disciple. He has even begun to question the official coronavirus death toll, which he sees as evidence of a dark plot against him. How is he different from Alex Jones, from the conspiracy manufacturers of Russia and the Middle East?

He lives in the White House. That is one main difference.

This improbable question—how did a person with a weakness for conspiratorial thinking achieve the presidency?—might be among the most consequential of the coming election, which is not merely a political contest, but a referendum on Enlightenment values and on reality itself.

Nonsense is nonsense, except when it kills. And conspiracy thinking, especially when advanced by the president of the United States, is an existential threat.

theatlantic/goldberg
Builder

Fri 15 May, 2020 04:44 am
@hightor,
Quote:
America is losing its grip on Enlightenment values and reality itself.

That's gotta be a close second to the funniest thing you've ever posted here.
blatham

Fri 15 May, 2020 05:57 am
@glitterbag,
Yes. And that's fine with his party.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 15 May, 2020 06:53 am
@hightor,
Quote:
This improbable question—how did a person with a weakness for conspiratorial thinking achieve the presidency?—might be among the most consequential of the coming election, which is not merely a political contest, but a referendum on Enlightenment values and on reality itself.

I wonder what sort of answers one would get if we were to ask the anti-lock down protesters to describe the Enlightenment?
hightor

Fri 15 May, 2020 07:13 am
@Builder,
Quote:
That's gotta be a close second to the funniest thing you've ever posted here.

It's not even close — this one gets the prize; it's hilarious:
Builder wrote:
Anyone who thinks they landed that thing on the moon, and then dropped it back in the ocean of Earth, isn't too bright. 
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 15 May, 2020 07:15 am
@blatham,
The "Enlightenment"? Wasn't that funded by Soros?
blatham

Fri 15 May, 2020 07:23 am
What if Trump doesn't want to be re-elected? His situation seems to me quite like The Dude's dilemma in an evil version of The Big Lebowski.

Of course, there are two huge problems for him; legal jeopardy and his narcissism (can't be seen as a "loser").

What a mess that guy's head must be.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 15 May, 2020 07:25 am
@hightor,
Yes. Check the etymology. "Enlighten" is what Jewish people do to your wallet.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 15 May, 2020 07:28 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
The "Enlightenment"? Wasn't that funded by Soros?
Most likely.

(Haskalah, from 1831 also referred to as the "Jewish Enlightenment", was a movement that originated in Berlin and Königsberg in the 1770's and 1780's and spread from there to Eastern Europe. It was based on the ideas of the European Enlightenment and advocated tolerance and an equal position for Jews in European societies. The last phase of the Haskalah ended in Russia around 1881 with the rise of Jewish nationalism.)
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 15 May, 2020 07:35 am
Not sure if you guys have seen the video of this but it's pretty damned funny. McConnell got caught in his lie and had to come clean (he tries to smile but it's not a comfortable moment for him). Good on Baier for pressing it like he did.
Quote:
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) backpedaled on Thursday night after accusing former President Barack Obama administration of leaving President Donald Trump unprepared to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I was wrong,” the GOP leader told Fox News host Bret Baier. “They did leave behind a plan.”

“So I clearly made a mistake in that regard,” he added.

During a virtual Trump campaign event on Monday, McConnell had made the false claim about the Obama administration, which has been manufactured by Trump in an effort to shift blame for his own administration’s feeble response to the outbreak.

“We want to be early, ready for the next [pandemic], because clearly the Obama administration did not leave to this administration any kind of game plan for something like this,” McConnell said on Monday.
revelette3

Fri 15 May, 2020 07:57 am
DeVos Funnels Coronavirus Relief Funds to Favored Private and Religious Schools

blatham

Fri 15 May, 2020 08:03 am
Quote:
Hospitals Knew How to Make Money. Then Coronavirus Happened.

Surgeries are canceled. Business models are shifting. Some of the hardest-hit hospitals may close, leaving patients with fewer options for care.
NYT

This is not, of course, happening in Canada because our hospitals are not profit-motivated private enterprises but are operated by the provincial governments (with funding from the federal government). There are various private enterprise services available alongside hospitals and family doctors (dentistry, vanity surgery, etc) and undoubtedly they are suffering but essential medical delivery is not threatened as is the case down south.

This situation makes even more clear how the American system, with it's insane and immoral reliance on greed, is really pretty fucked up. Think of all the money that goes into the pockets of investors, corporate entities, lobbyists, advertisers, etc which could instead go towards medical service delivery.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 15 May, 2020 08:06 am
@revelette3,
Of course she does. There's no difference ideologically between DeVos and the Koch crowd except that she's also a religious lunatic.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 15 May, 2020 08:08 am
@blatham,
Does the justice department work for the Trump campaign now? Barr thinks so
Quote:
The US attorney general seems determined to turn the DoJ into a fully-fledged arm of the Trump re-election team

It was enough that last week, the US Department of Justice did something completely unheard of: it moved to dismiss the guilty plea of a cabinet level officer, former national security adviser Michael Flynn, for lying to the FBI. The department’s argument was so preposterous that within days, nearly 2,000 former department officials signed a letter in protest of William Barr’s “assault on the rule of law”.

A week before the motion to dismiss in the Flynn case, Trump had tweeted that a prosecution like Flynn’s “should never be allowed to happen … again.” The day that the motion was filed, Trump told reporters that the Obama administration officials had targeted Flynn to try to “take down a president. In co-ordination, Trump campaign manager BradParscale issued a statement saying: “[T]he Obama-Biden officials responsible for these misdeeds must be held accountable.”

Immediately after the filing in the Flynn case, Barr went on national television and attacked the FBI, pointedly disparaging its 2016 investigation into Russian interference and letting it be known that FBI officials or ex-officials were under examination for prosecution: “[J]ust because something may even stink to high heaven and … appear to everyone to be bad we still have to apply the right standard and be convinced that there’s a violation of a criminal statute.”

Then Wednesday, Barr’s press spokesperson, Kerri Kupec, upped the ante in the high stakes effort to lend political support to Gen Flynn and to Trump’s partisan political interests. Kupec complained about an allegedly nefarious effort involving Joe Biden to “unmask” Flynn’s identity during the investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election.

She said this to Fox news correspondent Martha MacCallum: “Martha, what happened to candidate Trump and then President Trump was one of the greatest political injustices in American history and should never happen again.”

It is remarkable how quickly Flynn’s fate is put aside and the focus shifted to the president.

When has a justice department press person ever issued so nakedly political a statement?

Biden was among several people who asked that the intelligence committee to identify the unnamed American who had been recorded in a conversation with Russian ambassador Kislyak about Obama’s newly imposed sanctions in December 2016. It apparently doesn’t matter to the Barr justice department that that the rules were scrupulously adhered to in this “unmasking”. It also doesn’t matter that such requests are permitted if the identity unmasked is necessary to understand the information, and that such requests are hardly unusual. The National Security Agency handles such unmasking requests in thousands of cases: 10,000 in 2019 and nearly 17,000 in 2018.

upec’s statement tracks perfectly with Mr Trump’s partisan campaign messaging and with the president’s efforts to present himself and his most loyal followers as victims of a conspiracy. The DoJ has now been let loose in search of nefarious activity by Biden, and in the hope it can cast his way a McCarthyite shadow of suspicion.

Barr, the attorney general, is by no means the first occupant of that office to do political work for or serve as a political ally of the president who appointed him. Indeed, Edmund Randolph, the first attorney general of the United States, was a close ally of George Washington, having served as the general’s chief of staff and personal secretary. During Randolph’s term, Washington relied on him for support on matters that went well beyond the formal duties of his office.

Other attorneys general have followed in Randolph’s footsteps, serving as close political allies of the president. Examples from the early years of the country include Andrew Jackson’s attorney general, Roger Taney, who worked hand-in-hand with Jackson to end funding for the Bank of the United States.

In the 20th century, Franklin Roosevelt’s attorneys general regularly helped him in political battles. Some of those battles involved the justice department and some did not. Other close political allies of the president who appointed them include Robert Kennedy, who was appointed at 35 by his brother John, and widely criticized as unqualified for the job. President Reagan’s second attorney general, Edwin Meese, was a longtime friend of, and political operative for, Reagan.

But throughout American history, when presidents have appointed political cronies to be attorney general, they were looking for people only to help them pursue a policy agenda.

Nixon’s efforts to enlist John Mitchell in the Watergate cover-up and get one of Mitchell’s successors, Elliot Richardson, to fire the Watergate special prosecutor stand out as important, but rare, exceptions.

Other presidents have neither expected nor asked their attorneys general to use the vast investigatory and prosecutorial power of the justice department itself to intervene in criminal cases to help cronies, to buy the silence of those might threaten him, or to discredit political adversaries. That is a new and dangerous ballgame.

Using the justice department in this way undermines the integrity and professionalism of the lawyers and prosecutors who work there. It turns law into an arena for gaining partisan advantage and settling political grudges.

Having gotten away with doing the same in his dealings with Ukraine, the president has an attorney general who is only too happy to go beyond merely politicizing the DoJ. He seems determined to turn it into a full-fledged arm of the Trump campaign.
bobsal u1553115

Fri 15 May, 2020 08:14 am
https://i.redd.it/fxkfjoptury41.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 15 May, 2020 08:32 am
From my Jamaican friend, Malaise:

How freaking mad and racist do you have to be to declare that the African-American President (who served two terms without as much as a scandal ) committed the worst crime in history.

This stuff is more laughable that the birther crap. The criminally negligent Con should be dragged out of the WH in a strait jacket.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 15 May, 2020 08:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
[Barr] seems determined to turn it into a full-fledged arm of the Trump campaign.

He is. But it is not because he admires or respects or agrees with Trump. It is entirely because, as with McConnell or many other Republicans/conservatives he sees Trump as a vehicle for his extremist political ideology which holds that liberalism and secularism are illegitimate (and even Satanic) phenomena that must be denied any sort of place in American culture and politics. If he was an Iranian, he would be an Ayatollah. And a bad one.