monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Baldimo

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 02:16 pm
@maporsche,
Is there any in-depth coverage on the stats like this from 20009?
Quote:
The Census Bureau estimates that 45.7 million lacked health insurance at any given time in 2007. But fewer lacked coverage for the full year, and more did without for one or more months during the year. All three numbers are likely to be higher for 2008 due to massive job losses.
Twenty-six percent of the uninsured are eligible for some form of public coverage but do not make use of it, according to The National Institute for Health Care Management Foundation. This is sometimes, but not always, a matter of choice.
Twenty-one percent of the uninsured are immigrants, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. But that figure includes both those who are here legally and those who are not. The number of illegal immigrants who are included in the official statistics is unknown.
Twenty percent of the uninsured have family incomes of greater than $75,000 per year, according to the Census Bureau. But this does not necessarily mean they have access to insurance. Even higher-income jobs don’t always offer employer-sponsored insurance, and not everyone who wants private insurance is able to get it.
Forty percent of the uninsured are young, according to KFF. But speculation that they pass up insurance because of their good health is unjustified. KFF reports that many young people lack insurance because it’s not available to them, and people who turn down available insurance tend to be in worse health, not better, according to the Institute of Medicine

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/06/the-real-uninsured/

0 Replies

Baldimo

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 02:17 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Sure, but it really gained steam as of 4/15/2009 when it began to hold organized protests.

Yes, as a movement against the ACA, not a movement against Obama as many leftists claim. I was at the Denver rally that year, I know what it was all about.
maporsche

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 02:18 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

And the **** show continues into week three
Quote:
Trump leans on ‘fake news’ line to combat reports of West Wing dysfunction
The president appears especially irked by the growing narrative of Bannon as the real power in the White House.
Politico
But it is not as if we are surprised in this. Another three weeks and we ought to get to a nuclear confrontation with somebody.

I LOVED his tweet telling us "I call my own shots" in response to SNL and Joe Scarborough. I have a feeling that it's going to be a funny meme for a while.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/02/06/joe_scarborough_is_bannon_calling_all_the_shots_trump_i_call_my_own_shots.html
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 02:20 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
Sure, but it really gained steam as of 4/15/2009 when it began to hold organized protests.

Yes, as a movement against the ACA, not a movement against Obama as many leftists claim. I was at the Denver rally that year, I know what it was all about.

Well....it's also as many leftists have SEEN.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tea+party+protest+signs&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSzNvFpfzRAhVj_IMKHab8DtUQ_AUICCgB&biw=1216&bih=693
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 02:25 pm
As some of you perhaps gather, I am concerned about the future of functioning (if imperfect) democracy in the US. A path back towards sanity is difficult to see. But I do have one idea which I think worthy of consideration.

That is, enhanced redistricting.

In this scheme, districts will be drawn such that Canadians determine the candidates and party to lead America forward.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 03:08 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
The Bill of Rights is a list of individual rights, not group rights.

And who makes up the militia? Individuals. And they have they right to keep and bear arms in connection with their role as potential militiamen.
blatham

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 03:10 pm
Such a dick, this guy
Quote:
Mitch McConnell: Obstruction from Democrats ‘Has Reached New Extreme Levels’
mediate
wmwcjr

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 03:21 pm
@blatham,
I agree.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 03:25 pm
Yesterday. . . .

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4f/03/d8/4f03d8eb7ed5733e1c70dc73dc2306bb.jpg

Today. . . .

https://imagesoffunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Putin-holding-baby-Donald-Trump-photoshopped-painting.jpg

Laughing
0 Replies

Baldimo

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 03:36 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
And who makes up the militia? Individuals. And they have they right to keep and bear arms in connection with their role as potential militiamen.

It doesn't say that.
Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

So the 2nd Amendment is the only Amendment out of the Bill of Rights that applies to groups and not the individual?
blatham

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 03:47 pm
Jesus christ. There's a third example now of Conway lying about Bowling Green.
Quote:
[Obama] did that because, I assume, there were two Iraqis who came here, got radicalized, joined ISIS, and then were the masterminds behind the Bowling Green attack on our brave soldiers,” she added.
dailybeast
hightor

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 04:03 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
...I am sure your next post would involve some kind of challenge to my manhood or something.

Well, actually, no. That would be pretty stupid.

I don't happen to know anyone who has been affected by any of these laws but I have read the horror stories of people trapped in an almost Kafkaesque hall of bureaucratic mirrors, and there are lots of tales of DEA atrocities as well. And don't try to take pictures of industrial food processing lots.

I don't feel that these laws represent egregious violations of personal freedom; the reasoning behind them is not to restrict thought or expression, it's not as if we have some sort of "thought police". There's been a concern about domestic terrorist attacks — do you feel this concern is overblown? — and electronic communication is really too tempting for criminals not to use and law enforcement not to surveil.

The laws which cause the objectionable situations you list can be altered through legislative action because they address specific activities deemed to be illegal. If infiltrating a political group to determine whether it is in violation of the tax code is objectionable, then the government can develop another method of investigating and enforcing tax laws. But the political group's crime was violating campaign contribution laws, not holding abhorrent political views.

The examples you list have grown up as our population has increased, our technology has advanced, and the complexity of our social problems has challenged law enforcement, corporate marketers, and the government bureaucracy. I don't see a repressive ideology at work — but I do see ACLU lawyers at work and cases thrown out of court. It's up to our representatives to continually address the consequences of laws on the books and when enforcement tactics are seen to be problematic with regard to constitutional issues it is their job to revise the law, or its implementation, as necessary. The maintenance of freedom and liberty is a process and I've never felt that this process itself has been threatened.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 04:07 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
So the 2nd Amendment is the only Amendment out of the Bill of Rights that applies to groups and not the individual?

No, it applies to individuals in relation to service in a militia. It doesn't give "the militias" that right, is says "the people".
Baldimo

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 04:12 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
No, it applies to individuals in relation to service in a militia. It doesn't give "the militias" that right, is says "the people".

It says the People,see an individual right to bear arms, there is no quantifier for this, and the Amendment doesn't even point that way.

Which other Amendment in the Bill of Rights has such a quantifier?
oralloy

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 04:20 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Quote:
A county Republican official in Michigan has apologized for suggesting that there should be a crackdown on "violent protesters" and calling for "another Kent State."

"Taking a lot of heat for a very poorly worded tweet yesterday," Marquette County Republican Party secretary Dan Adamini tweeted on Friday. "Sorry folks, the intent was to try to stop the violence, not encourage more."
TPM
I love the "it was poorly worded" excuse. But it is a bit better than the more common version, "I was taken totally out of context". He also said:
Quote:
"Violent protesters who shut down free speech? Time for another Kent State perhaps. One bullet stops a lot of thuggery," he tweeted the same day.

Aside from somebody having the idea that Kent State had any positive social consequences or motivations at all, the thing to concentrate on here is his use of "violent protesters". In all the protests so far, whether those of a racial context or the more recent anti-Trump, anti-authoritarian sort, the proportion of protesters who were violent was exceedingly small. Where the violence is made the identifying marker of what has gone on (while all the rest is ignored) then the speaker is moving right into the sort of response/rhetoric which is absolutely typical of the authoritarian response.

The bad thing about Kent State was that innocent students were accidentally killed.

Certainly there is nothing wrong with gunning down violent mobs of liberals.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 04:22 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Trump is giving the people back their freedom that the federal government has been slowly eroding away over the past 20 or so years.

Examples? You hear this all the time but I've lived here for the past 20 or 30 years — and more — and I really haven't noticed a decrease in personal liberties. I'd really like to know what freedom has been eroded.

The rampant violations of the Second Amendment would count.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 04:23 pm
@blatham,
http://www.democraticunderground.com/emoticons/rofl.gifhttp://www.democraticunderground.com/emoticons/rofl.gifhttp://www.democraticunderground.com/emoticons/rofl.gif

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-B_LhIix150E/WJUDg8AbfFI/AAAAAAAA1PA/OTOMt5cGyMEBenAZY6NLCEFzp2JSeayAgCK4B/s320/Bowling-Green-Massacre-Memes.png

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/02/03/22/3CCF7C6500000578-4189342-image-a-2_1486161000182.jpg

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/219/059/4e1.jpg

oralloy

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 04:26 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Since the entire general populace is a potential militiaman, that means the right applies to everyone.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 04:30 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

People have the right to use their arms for self defense as well.
oralloy

Mon 6 Feb, 2017 04:36 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Such a dick, this guy
Quote:
Mitch McConnell: Obstruction from Democrats ‘Has Reached New Extreme Levels’
mediate

No big deal. All Senate Republicans have to do is abolish any rule that Senate Democrats use to obstruct Mr. Trump's nominees. Problem solved.
0 Replies