monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Wed 4 Dec, 2019 11:14 pm
@Brand X,
The Committee could accept the 10 charges from the Mueller Report as fact without debate and incorporate same into Articles of Impeachment as is.
0 Replies

snood

Wed 4 Dec, 2019 11:40 pm
@hightor,
Where do you get this stuff? You put “race traitors” in quotes, as if that’s a term you’ve heard used commonly? By who? The thing that keeps me responding to the last few of your posts is this bent you’re showing for using hackneyed talking points.
Seriously, what public figure have you heard refer to a black cop or federal agent or anyone as a “race traitor”? For that matter, who have you heard saying that in private conversation?

It’s kind of important not to be using incendiary words like this casually - if they are no more than dramatic imaginings - and acting as if they represent reality. I’d think we’d leave that kind of thing to the coldjoints and Oralloys.
Lash

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 12:08 am
@snood,
Coming right up!
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 12:08 am
@snood,
Quote:
I’d think we’d leave that kind of thing to the coldjoints and Oralloys.

Well you have not. Your end your post with an insult. Do not lecture anyone, it is not your place.
glitterbag

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 12:20 am
@coldjoint,
Oh come now, you were flattered, admit it. Somebody noticed you and your err...ah...stuff....it's ok, we all like to feel important (more or less....carefull)
Walter Hinteler

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 02:13 am
@glitterbag,
What really surprises many here in Europe is that Republicans are not convinced of the President's misconduct even by a still overwhelming burden of proof. The fact that he himself constantly speaks of a "perfect telephone call" and an alleged democratic "witch hunt" reinforces this misconception.

The fact that his personal lawyer Giuliani was on a business trip for a TV documentary - in Ukraine of all places - doesn't make this view any better.
snood

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 06:13 am
Twenty-one days before Christmas, Trump has given final approval to a plan that will remove 700,000 people from the federal food stamp program.

Ho ho ho

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/04/us/politics/food-stamps.html
blatham

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 07:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
What really surprises many here in Europe is that Republicans are not convinced of the President's misconduct even by a still overwhelming burden of proof.
This is a bit complicated, Walter.

To oversimplify, I think we ought to differentiate 1) the people who come out to Trump rallies and who watch FOX from 2) his cabinet or senior GOP politicians like McConnell or the Republican Intel and Justice committee members along with right wing media persons and the broad array of entities that fund and organize to maintain/increase Republican power.

That first category are swimming in misinformation/disinformation and mostly seem to be incapable of objective thought. The second category is where we'll find the Republicans who are mostly quite aware of what Trump has been up to but who do not care.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 07:18 am
Quote:
Bill Kristol
@BillKristol
"Facing the prospects of nuclear annihilation, yesterday’s Leftists preferred a communist future. Facing the prospects of electoral defeat, today’s Republicans prefer to advance Russia’s propaganda...The GOP is the Russia propaganda party."
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 07:24 am
Quote:

Greg Sargent
@ThePlumLineGS
· 21h
It's time to stop calling Trump a "Russian dupe." The truth is much worse.

Trump is an *active and willing* ally of Putinism, and he is *knowingly and deliberately* aligning himself with it, to serve his own corrupt and malevolent ends.

New piece:

https://washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/12/04/stop-calling-trump-russian-dupe-truth-is-much-worse/

Right on the money.
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 07:58 am
@snood,
Quote:
You put “race traitors” in quotes, as if that’s a term you’ve heard used commonly?

Commonly, no. But it is out there, and while usually used by white nationalists, it can be found on the left as well. (And by "antifa" if they can be considered "left".)

and here's an article from a left-wing publication:
Why Obama is a Race Traitor

I don't feel that my comments critical of these attitudes were beyond the pale of acceptable political discussion.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 08:17 am
Historical fact with relevance for today:

Every major official convicted of crimes in Iran-Contra were pardoned by outgoing President George H W Bush. Approved by Bush's AG - William Barr.
revelette3

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 08:30 am
@blatham,
Don't surprise me in the least about William Barr. Sometimes we forget the more unpleasant aspects of the Bushs' in this day and age of Trump.

As a reminder we should read the following from the NYT

What the C.I.A.’s Torture Program Looked Like to the Tortured

Quote:
Drawings done in captivity by the first prisoner known to undergo “enhanced interrogation” portray his account of what happened to him in vivid and disturbing ways.

Sorry to keep editing, but I am reading as I go. I am reminded I was strongly disappointed in the Obama administration in not making these people pay for torturing and absolute war crimes. Saying he wanted to go forward not back, looking back, just seems trite to me. It is outlawed now, but still, not enough has been done to make reparations.
revelette3

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 08:32 am
Pelosi Says House Will Begin Drafting Impeachment Charges vs. Trump
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 08:39 am
@revelette3,
I actually see Bush Sr and Jr as much more benign creatures than people like Barr or Cheney or Addington or Gingrich or Norquist. That last group all manifest a malign level of authoritarianism which I think is quite absent in the Bush boys. Where Dubya or dad would be quite uncomfortable with dictatorship, those others would be quite at home in such an arrangement.
revelette3

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 08:45 am
@blatham,
Well, perhaps they were too benign, W Bush to allow torture to go on under his watch and his authority. We know Cheney was mostly at the heart of his administration, still, he if he disagreed, I never heard it.
blatham

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 08:49 am
Yikers. I did not know this. Trump PR hack Stephanie Grisham twice arrested for DUI in 2013 and 2015. Mug shots below.

https://www.nydailynews.com/resizer/eU1_CqbAckNwRSgB84ZWMXE0koY=/800x512/top/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-tronc.s3.amazonaws.com/public/OXCC6LGSKVDE7OX32Q5TDWKM4E.jpg

Quote:
According to cops, Grisham also had a loose relationship with the truth before becoming White House spokesperson. During her 2013 arrest outside Phoenix, Grisham, driving on a suspended license, told police she hadn’t been drinking, then blew a .105, which earned her a DUI.

She told cops she’d earlier taken a Xanax after they reportedly pulled her over for speeding in an SUV and smelled booze on her breath, which she denied.

"She then blew directly in my face and I detected the odor of intoxicating beverage to be even stronger (along with the odor of gum in her mouth), according to a police report on The Smoking Gun.

Grisham pleaded guilty and the penalty was reduced to reckless driving, according to the New York Times.

She pleaded guilty again after being busted behind the wheel in 2015 and sentenced to a treatment program.
LINK
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 08:53 am
@revelette3,
There's no good excuse for what happened while W was President. But intentionality is important. He lacked the knowledge, confidence and strength of character to hold such a position competently and with integrity but he was, I truly believe, without the zesty appetite for evil demonstrated by those others.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 09:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Its very much like how our Revolution occured.
1 There was a third of the pop that felt satisfied as British citizens

2 There was another third who hated anything British

3 The last third were the "who really gives a ****"

This last group as what helped decide the outcome , state by state.
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 10:06 am
Trouble in paradise?

Quote:
North Korea threatened Thursday to resume insults of U.S. President Donald Trump and consider him a “dotard” if he keeps using provocative language, such as referring to its leader as “rocket man.”

Choe Son Hui, the first vice foreign minister, issued the warning via state media days after Trump spoke of possible military action toward the North and revived his “rocket man” nickname for North Korean ruler Kim Jong Un.

The comments came as prospects dim for a resumption of nuclear diplomacy between the two countries. In recent months, North Korea has hinted at lifting its moratorium on nuclear and long-range missile tests if the Trump administration fails to make substantial concessions in nuclear diplomacy before the end of the year.

Choe said Trump’s remarks “prompted the waves of hatred of our people against the U.S.” because they showed “no courtesy when referring to the supreme leadership of dignity” of North Korea.

She said North Korea will respond with its own harsh language if Trump again uses similar phrases and shows that he is intentionally provoking North Korea.

“If any language and expressions stoking the atmosphere of confrontation are used once again on purpose at a crucial moment as now, that must really be diagnosed as the relapse of the dotage of a dotard,” Choe said.

apnews