monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sun 13 Oct, 2019 10:19 am
@snood,
Your question is better than any answer I have for it, snood.

But I suppose I can say that reporters have been very successful in finding sympathetic voices within and around this administration who find cause to reveal stuff which has later proved to be accurate.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 13 Oct, 2019 10:36 am
My recent trip to Portland, Oregon set me on my heels as I saw the huge increase in homelessness since I moved away 9 years ago. I'd estimate it at something like 5X greater.

My conclusion is that this, along with much else, is a consequence of the increasing disparity in wealth in the US.

And such disparities in wealth, where 1% of the population possess as much wealth as the remaining 99%, and where most of that wealth held by the 1% is actually held by 1/10 of of them, can only lead to huge disparities in political power. Where citizens feel powerless, they aren't wrong. Where the .1% feel very powerful, they aren't wrong either.

I really do believe that Sanders or Warren or Biden or whomever MUST continually point to this factor and bring Americans to a greater appreciation of how they are being shafted and how their political voices and preferences are being effectively erased. Some consensus on this has to build and grow for things to change.

And, done well, will I think be a political winner.

Rant terminates.
RABEL222

Sun 13 Oct, 2019 02:20 pm
@blatham,
It ant a rant when its true.
Sturgis

Sun 13 Oct, 2019 02:24 pm
@RABEL222,
Actually, a rant is any lengthy and impassioned statement, pro or con.
coldjoint

Sun 13 Oct, 2019 02:44 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
It ant a rant when its true.

Well it is not true. Homelessness is caused by mental illness and drug abuse. Income inequality has always been there. Blaming the rich never gets old.
Sturgis

Sun 13 Oct, 2019 02:53 pm
@coldjoint,
The gap between the wealthy and the power incomed has grown. While costs...including food, rent/housing, medical, clothing, etc.etc. ...have risen dramatically, salaries for those on the lower tiers has not. In many cases, salary remains fully stagnant (no increase for years), in some of us essentially stagnant, as increases do not equal even a small percentage of c.o.l. increases. In other cases, full time workers have been faced with reduced hours. Reduced hours often resulting in not just less income, but, a lack of health insurance coverage. The top tiers don't have to worry or even think on that. Many of them life off of substantial dividends, increasing their wealth hourly.
coldjoint

Sun 13 Oct, 2019 03:31 pm
@Sturgis,
Wages have been increasing at the fastest rate in years. You have been, or are, misinformed.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 13 Oct, 2019 03:53 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Re: RABEL222 (Post 6912003)
Actually, a rant is any lengthy and impassioned statement, pro or con.

What? We're now going to start ranting about ranting? What have we come to?
Sturgis

Sun 13 Oct, 2019 03:57 pm
@blatham,
Ghoulish Giuliani has made it a a fun fad. He rants on most everything.

...maybe I should not have used the word 'fun' there...
coldjoint

Sun 13 Oct, 2019 04:37 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Ghoulish

Ghoulish is selling baby parts and letting aborted babies born alive die. The moral high ground is not on the Left.
MontereyJack

Sun 13 Oct, 2019 09:09 pm
@coldjoint,
extreme right wing wild-eyed nonsense.
coldjoint

Sun 13 Oct, 2019 09:21 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
extreme right wing wild-eyed nonsense.

Both are documented facts. One explained by the governor of Virginia.
MontereyJack

Sun 13 Oct, 2019 09:24 pm
@coldjoint,
blatant misconstrual of Va actions.
coldjoint

Sun 13 Oct, 2019 09:31 pm
@MontereyJack,
How? He said make the baby comfortable while the mother and doctors pass a death sentence. o ways to misconstrue that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 14 Oct, 2019 12:21 am
@MontereyJack,
White House reporters condemn fake video showing Trump killing press
Quote:
(Reuters) - The White House Correspondents’ Association (WHCA) condemned on Sunday a video that depicted a fake image of U.S. President Donald Trump slaughtering members of the news media, shown at a gathering of his supporters.

News of the video was first reported by the New York Times after someone who attended the gathering leaked a cell-phone video of it to the newspaper.

“The WHCA is horrified by a video reportedly shown over the weekend at a political conference organized by the president’s supporters,” Jonathan Karl, president of the association, said in a statement.

“All Americans should condemn this depiction of violence directed toward journalists and the president’s political opponents,” he said.

“We have previously told the president his rhetoric could incite violence. Now we call on him and everybody associated with this conference to denounce this video and affirm that violence has no place in our society.”

The video shows Trump’s head superimposed on the body of a man wearing a pinstriped suit opening fire at a “Church of Fake News” with some parishioners faces with logos of various news organizations, the Times reported.

Reuters has not obtained a copy of the video for review and had not been able to contact organizers of the event.

But the political action group hosting the event, American Priority, said in a statement on Twitter that it had not been aware of the video and did not approve it.

“It has come to our attention that an unauthorized video was shown,” the group said, adding that the video had been shown in a “side room.”

“This video was not approved, seen or sanctioned by the ... organizers.”

American Priority states on its website it supports free speech as protected by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

A spokesman for Trump’s campaign said he knew nothing about the video, the Times reported.

“That video was not produced by the campaign, and we do not condone violence,” said spokesman Tim Murtaugh.

Trump’s son, Donald Trump Jr, and a former spokeswoman, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, were scheduled to speak at the three-day conference in Miami but the Times reported that neither had seen the video.

“I wasn’t aware of any video, nor do I support violence of any kind against anyone,” Sanders told the Times.

The Times reported that the video appeared to include edited scenes from the 2014 dark comedy “Kingsman: The Secret Service”.

Event organizers, speaking to the Times, denounced the violence in the video and are investigating as to how it was shown.

“American Priority rejects all political violence and aims to promote a healthy dialogue about the preservation of free speech. This matter is under review,” organizer Alex Phillips told the Times.

Trump, during his campaign for re-election for 2020 has repeatedly called the media “the enemy of the people.”

A gunman killed five people in a Maryland newspaper office in 2018 in one of the deadliest attacks on journalists in U.S. history.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 14 Oct, 2019 12:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Macabre Video of Fake Trump Shooting Media and Critics Is Shown at His Resort
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/dyzzFWS.jpg
WASHINGTON — A video depicting a macabre scene of a fake President Trump shooting, stabbing and brutally assaulting members of the news media and his political opponents was shown at a conference for his supporters at his Miami resort last week, according to footage obtained by The New York Times.

Several of Mr. Trump’s top surrogates — including his son Donald Trump Jr., his former spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders and the governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis — were scheduled to speak at the three-day conference, which was held by a pro-Trump group, American Priority, at Trump National Doral Miami. Ms. Sanders and a person close to Mr. Trump’s son said on Sunday that they did not see the video at the conference.

The video, which includes the logo for Mr. Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign, comprises a series of internet memes. The most violent clip shows Mr. Trump’s head superimposed on the body of a man opening fire inside the “Church of Fake News” on parishioners who have the faces of his critics or the logos of media organizations superimposed on their bodies. It appears to be an edited scene of a church massacre from the 2014 dark comedy film “Kingsman: The Secret Service.”
... ... ...
hightor

Mon 14 Oct, 2019 03:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
To think that this would have been unbelievable not that many years ago...

Quote:
"He strikes the late Arizona senator John McCain in the back of the neck. He hits the television personality Rosie O’Donnell in the face and then stabs her in the head. He strikes Rep Maxine Waters. He lights the head of Senator Bernie Sanders on fire"

"He takes Senator Mitt Romney, Republican of Utah, hostage before throwing him to the ground. Then he strikes former President Barack Obama in the back and throws him against a wall

"The clip ends with Mr. Trump putting a stake into the head of a person with a CNN logo for a face. Mr. Trump then stands on the altar, admiring his rampage, and smiles."."

source
Builder

Mon 14 Oct, 2019 05:28 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Trump then stands on the altar, admiring his rampage, and smiles."

Sounds familiar.

source
edgarblythe

Mon 14 Oct, 2019 05:29 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote: