monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 04:45 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
were this reversed would we think that the GOP or Dems would take the others talking points that we see now? Id really like to see whether the GOP would try to soft peddle a presidents improprieties ?

As long as Democrats keep conducting witch hunts, it is reasonable for Republicans to keep responding in kind.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 04:46 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Doing it with a foreign power is a felony violation of campaign laws and trump started the whole conspiracy himself.

So I guess we should drag Hillary off to prison for the Steele dossier?
oralloy

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 04:48 pm
MontereyJack wrote:
Doing it with a foreign power is a violation of campaign laws and trump started the whole conspiracy himself.

The notion that "having the Bidens investigated" counts as a campaign contribution is quite a stretch.

And even if campaign finance laws had actually been violated, that would be a minor matter that would be best resolved by imposing a fine.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 04:54 pm
Check this out
Quote:
Michael Pillsbury, President Donald Trump’s informal adviser on China, can’t seem to decide whether China gave him dirt on 2020 candidate Joe Biden’s son or not.

On Wednesday night, Pillsbury told Fox News Business host Lou Dobbs that he had brought up Joe Biden’s son, Hunter, to his Chinese associates during a trip to Beijing a week ago (the same week Trump openly asked China and Ukraine to investigate Biden).

However, Pillsbury said the Chinese refused to tell him anything.

“I’ve never seen them get so secretive in my entire life,” he told Dobbs.

But in an interview with the Financial Times several hours later, Pillsbury said the complete opposite.

“I got a quite a bit of background on Hunter Biden from the Chinese,” he bragged.

The adviser told the Financial Times that the information was related to the alleged $1.5 billion Hunter received from China, a baseless conspiracy theory Trump and his allies have been peddling over recent weeks.

On Thursday morning, Pillsbury was back to claiming he hadn’t gotten any information from the Chinese and bizarrely asserted he hadn’t given an interview to the Financial Times, even though the reporter has screenshots of their exchange.

“The Chinese did not give me any intelligence on Hunter Biden,” Pillsbury said during an interview on C-Span. “I don’t know where the report came from.”
TPM

Have you ever, and I do mean ever, seen such a collection of lying dirtbags as this crowd?
oralloy

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 04:58 pm
@blatham,
Are any Chinese criminal charges pending against the Bidens yet? 30 years of hard labor sounds about right to me.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 04:59 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Nonsense. Just doing what the constitution says to do for lawbreakers.

The Constitution does not say to remove presidents from office for trivial offenses.

Not to mention the fact that it is a huge stretch to claim that Trump has committed even a trivial offense.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 05:18 pm
Jesus. Jon Chait gets it right on the money. This is the GOP position.
Quote:
The punishment for Trump rigging the election should be decided by the election he's rigging.
NYMag
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 05:24 pm
@oralloy,
The author of the Steele dossier was written by an ex British spy which started with the republican campaign and Hillary merely continued financing it. On the other hand, Trump used carrots such as a White House visit and Military aid to the newly elected President of Ukraine, a foreign government which makes it illegal. It's not rocket science you know.

Which is why two associates of Giuliani's were arrested on campaign violations for helping Giuliani dig up dirt on Biden who is a political opponent for Giuliani's "client". which is Trump.
revelette1

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 05:30 pm
@blatham,
Check out CNN and Cory Gardner using laughable distraction to get out of answering a simple question.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/10/10/cory-gardner-trump-ukraine-questions-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/
oralloy

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 05:30 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
The author of the Steele dossier was written by an ex British spy which started with the republican campaign and Hillary merely continued financing.

So when do we haul Hillary off to jail?

revelette1 wrote:
On the other hand, Trump used carrots such a White House visit and Military aid to newly elected President of Ukraine, a foreign government which makes illegal.

The notion that "investigating the Bidens" counts as a campaign contribution is quite a stretch.

revelette1 wrote:
Which is why two associates of Giuliani's were arrested on campaign violations for helping Giuliani dig up dirt on Biden who is a political opponent for Giuliani's "client". which is Trump.

I thought they were arrested for trying to funnel foreign money into US campaigns.
revelette1

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 05:35 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
So when do we haul Hillary off to jail?

There is a difference in a person in another country and a leader of a country.

Quote:
The notion that "investigating the Bidens" counts as a campaign contribution is quite a stretch.

The legal term is "anything of value." You can't get more of value than getting dirt on a political opponent.

Quote:
I thought they were arrested for trying to funnel foreign money into US campaigns.

It's all connected. I'll look again to make certain.

From my previous post wherein I posted a link and posted the whole article. It's back a few pages.

Quote:
Since late 2018, Mr. Fruman and Mr. Parnas have introduced Mr. Giuliani to several current and former senior Ukrainian prosecutors to discuss the Biden case.

Mr. Parnas in July accompanied Mr. Giuliani to a breakfast meeting with Kurt Volker, then the U.S. special representative for Ukraine negotiations. “We had a long conversation about Ukraine,” Mr. Volker wrote in his testimony to House committees last week. During that breakfast, Mr. Giuliani mentioned the investigations he was pursuing into Mr. Biden and 2016 election interference.

House committees last month sought documents and depositions from Messrs. Parnas and Fruman related to their interactions with the Trump administration, Mr. Giuliani and Ukrainian officials. The initial notice from the committees set the dates for their depositions as Thursday and Friday.

Quote:
The indictment references a congressman, identifiable as Mr. Sessions, whose assistance Mr. Parnas sought in “causing the U.S. government to remove or recall the then-U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine.” The indictment says those efforts were conducted “at least in part, at the request of one or more Ukrainian government officials.” Mr. Sessions didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Messrs. Parnas and Fruman told the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project in July that they told Mr. Sessions last year that Ms. Yovanovitch was “bad-mouthing” the president. They later donated to his campaign.

So, someone who funneled foreign money to campaigns, donated to Sessions.
RABEL222

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 05:43 pm
Question? Do you think Trump will wait until he leaves the presidency before he starts building his Turkey Trump towers as payment for withdrawing u s troops from Syria?
revelette1

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 05:48 pm
@RABEL222,
Who knows, I thought he would leave a long time ago. It's a crazy world right now. I feel as though we are being led by mobsters in the WH and parts of congress and Barr's office.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 05:48 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
There is a difference in a person in another country and a leader of a country.

Not according to federal election law. It merely refers to "foreign nationals".

revelette1 wrote:
The legal term is "anything of value." You can't get more of value than getting dirt on a political opponent.

That is quite a stretch. The term "anything of value" means gifts like Rolex watches or luxury vacations to the Bahamas -- gifts that could bribe a corrupt politician.
revelette1

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 05:51 pm
@oralloy,
And you are saying getting damaging information on a political opponent in an upcoming Presidential election is not of value? Of less value than a watch? You're fooling yourself.
blatham

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 06:00 pm
@revelette1,
Ain't that something. And he's not the only one who can't manage to coordinate brain and tongue on a yes/no question.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 06:06 pm
Because my memories are rather diminished, I thought I'd better go back and refresh myself on the Clinton impeachment timeline.

January 1994 - Janet Reno approves investigation of Clinton re Whitewater
August 1994 - Ken Starr takes over from previous investigation head
September 1998 - Starr releases his report to Congress
*note that's four years in duration
October 1998 - Congress announces impeachment investigation
December 1998 - GOP controlled House votes for impeachment
January 1999 - Senate trial begins
February 1999 - Senate trial ends.
Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 06:16 pm
Good point from Ed Kilgore...

"Trump's strategy is to win while losing the popular vote". That's clearly right. And to do this, he of course has to get the right wing voters in a state of near-violent insanity. Every word he speaks between now and then will have this as it's goal.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 06:16 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
And you are saying getting damaging information on a political opponent in an upcoming Presidential election is not of value? Of less value than a watch? You're fooling yourself.

It's quite a stretch to count "information about political opponents" as being of the same nature as a gift of a Rolex watch or a luxury vacation in the Bahamas.

But if such information does constitute something of value, then it's time to send Hillary to prison.