monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Region Philbis

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 06:49 am
@blatham,

nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate...
snood

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 06:51 am
@Region Philbis,
I’ll bite. Who’s the puppeteer?
Region Philbis

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 06:54 am
@snood,

(lead character in Being John Malkovich)
snood

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 07:05 am
@Region Philbis,
Ah. Big Malkovich fan - but never watched that one.
Region Philbis

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 07:14 am
@snood,

self-depricating humor at its best...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 09:00 am
@blatham,
I first heard it mentioned in a soap. I can't remember which one, someone asked if it was like the Numbskulls.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-no_JiSCTdC4/UNtk9wYfshI/AAAAAAAAL5Y/XjWH0DBw8P4/s640/image2.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 09:01 am
@snood,
It's a good film, bit weird but very good.
revelette1

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 09:09 am
Quote:
Donald Trump's call with Ukrainian president drips with impeachable crimes

Let us count the ways. The White House readout of President Donald Trump’s phone conversation with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky shows that the American president has committed a multitude of high crimes and misdemeanors, all of them impeachable. Even without considering the many prior offenses that were surfaced in the Mueller report and in the special counsel’s prosecutions of numerous Trump allies and associates, including in the Southern District of New York, this readout — which must be the least incriminating version the White House could compose despite its remarkable skills at shading the truth or falsifying it altogether — is utterly devastating.

The “high crimes and misdemeanors” that the readout reveals — to use the Constitution’s term for impeachable offenses beyond “treason” and “bribery” (both of which the readout comes close to establishing) — begin with Trump abusing the foreign policy powers entrusted to the president by Article II in order to serve his own political interests rather than the interests of the American people.

Those interests were defined here by a bipartisan decision of the Congress we elected to represent us in world affairs using its Article I spending power: Congress decided that it was in our nation’s security interest to provide nearly $400 million in aid to the beleaguered patriots of an American ally fighting a bloody battle with an American adversary. The ally was Ukraine. The adversary was Russia, which had — not so coincidentally — tried to help Trump win office in 2016.

Even if this action weren’t payback to Russian President Vladimir Putin and yet another indication of how beholden Trump is to that brutal dictator — which it may well have been — it was a blatant usurpation of Congress’ Appropriation Clause authority for Trump to withhold the aid the Ukranians needed. When asked by Ukraine’s president in this July 25 phone call to purchase more Javelin missiles from the United States for defense purposes, Trump responded that he would gladly do so, although — he actually used the word “though” — he would greatly appreciate that foreign president’s aid in, among other things, gathering evidence to effectively help prosecute Trump’s main rival for the presidency in the forthcoming election.

Imagine the outrage, not to mention the judicial rebuke, that would have followed if Congress had overtly conditioned aid to a country being overrun by Russia upon that country’s agreement to apparently advance the political ambitions of the incumbent president! That this plainly unconstitutional condition was instead subtly interposed by Trump himself only makes the matter more egregious.

Campaign finance law is clear

In addition, despite the Department of Justice's conclusion to the contrary, the campaign assistance that Trump sought in implicit exchange for his releasing the funds Congress had appropriated and Ukraine desperately needed clearly violates the same federal laws governing our elections that the president arguably violated to get himself elected in the first place — namely, the statutes making it illegal for a candidate in an American election to solicit or accept anything “of value” from a foreign source.
Americans deserve transparency: It's time for all the cards to be laid out for Congress.
Making Trump’s lawlessness all the more egregious was his enlisting William Barr, the nation’s attorney general, to work with Trump’s own consigliere, Rudy Giuliani, in digging up dirt in Ukraine on former Vice President Joe Biden, a leading candidate for the opposing party’s presidential nomination, and Biden’s surviving son, Hunter.

Never mind the cruelty and vindictiveness of selecting this particular target for his rage. Sadism is not an impeachable offense. Never mind the odds that the president’s hatred for his predecessor, President Barack Obama, probably drove his obsession with hurting Obama’s handpicked vice president. Envy isn’t impeachable either. And never mind that there is no credible evidence that Biden or his son violated any law. Even if they had, for a president to conscript the highest law enforcement official in the land, one paid by and legally bound to serve the American people, to do his personal and political bidding in an effort not only to smear but to also criminally prosecute a political foe is the stuff of novels about banana republics, not of the America I know and whose Constitution and laws I have spent a lifetime defending.

The least of it is that using personnel paid by American taxpayers, whether civilians like Barr or military personnel like the pilots involved in landing at the Scottish airfield near Trump’s failing golf course, is a way of supplementing his congressionally fixed compensation in violation of the Domestic Emoluments Clause of Article II. Worse than that is any president’s very decision to turn the Department of Justice into his personal law firm and weaponizing it against his political opponents, one of many violations of the president’s Oath of Office.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/09/25/donald-trump-ukraine-phone-call-impeachment-transcript-column/2442422001/

Had the Ukraine began investigating and something else came out about Hunter Biden, then perhaps the story would have been about Hunter and Joe Biden. However, instead, our president got caught committing treason and high and crimes and misdemeanors. Then got caught covering it up.
izzythepush

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 09:12 am
In other news.

Quote:
England thrash United States 45-7 in Rugby World Cup

England hit their World Cup straps with a seven-try demolition of the USA to make it two bonus-point wins from two.

Billy Vunipola and Luke Cowan-Dickie scored first-half tries from driving mauls after skipper George Ford went under the posts after six minutes.

Four more in the second half - two from Joe Cokanasiga, one apiece from latecomers Ruaridh McConnochie and Lewis Ludlum - were a fitting reward for a much-improved performance in the heat and humidity of Kobe.

In a World Cup becoming defined by safe tackling technique, US flanker John Quill was sent off for a horrible shoulder charge on replacement Owen Farrell, the England talisman lucky not to suffer serious injury.

But the man Farrell had come on for, Piers Francis, may himself face retrospective action after a questionable challenge in the opening moments of the game.

England's set-piece was dominant, the US forwards unable to cope at the scrum or to find an answer when their opponents set the maul.

Tougher tests lie ahead in the shape of Argentina and France but England will travel to Tokyo this weekend in much improved mood.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49840190

I don't like rugby, but ******* yesss!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 09:27 am
@Builder,
I'm not his judge and I know **** about the law in the US but to me, a president who invites foreign meddling in his country's election is a traitor, simply by doing so.
farmerman

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 09:43 am
@Olivier5,
Its getting even more interesting since its been revealed that the underlying information re: the transcript, has been either transferred into unknown file bins or has been destroyed.
"It often isnt the crime that gets you, its the cover-up"> Welcome to 1974
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 09:48 am
Whistleblower Complaint

It's from the NYT, but I am sure it is available elsewhere if you do not have a subscription.
revelette1

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 11:37 am
I am wondering if William Barr is going to down the Trump Titanic or if he will desert. (just heard that phrase from John Bremen on MSNBC).
0 Replies

nimh

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 12:06 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Quote:
Jacques Chirac, the former French president who championed the European Union, but whose later years were blighted by corruption scandals, has died aged 86.

It's funny, I kinda remember it the other way round. Initially he was just a mediocre president with a universally known history of corruption (which he only escaped because he was given immunity), who was re-elected chiefly because left-wing divisions turned the second round into a referendum on his far right challenger Jean Marie Le Pen. But then the Iraq War came, he came out in opposition, his image quickly changed into that of a bold and prominent international statesman, and he successfully maintained that in the ensuing years. Just my impression mind you, and I guess international and domestic perspectives may have differed as well.
izzythepush

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 12:19 pm
@nimh,
He stood up to Bush, unlike Blair, so you've got to give him that.

International perspectives do differ, I've already said how I view him.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/looneytunesshow/images/4/42/Black_Jack_Shellac.png/revision/latest?cb=20130522083327
0 Replies

RABEL222

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 12:21 pm
@revelette1,
This will be ignored by the senate and most of the trumpies as fake news. He could shoot someone on one of d c's main streets and the senate would pass a law making it legal.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 12:42 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Had the Ukraine began investigating and something else came out about Hunter Biden, then perhaps the story would have been about Hunter and Joe Biden. However, instead, our president got caught committing treason and high and crimes and misdemeanors. Then got caught covering it up.

There was an investigation going on when Biden was VP, he threated to withhold funds unless the prosecutor was fired... Everything points to Biden, that's why the left is having such a fit right now. Biden's illegal gambit has been exposed, mostly by Biden himself.

Walter Hinteler

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 01:04 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
... when Biden was VP, he threated to withhold funds unless the prosecutor was fired...
That was the position of the wider U.S. government, as well as other other governments and international institutions.
hightor

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 01:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
That was the position of the wider U.S. government, as well as other other governments and international institutions.

Don't confuse him with facts.
engineer

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 01:22 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Whistleblower Complaint

It's from the NYT, but I am sure it is available elsewhere if you do not have a subscription.

Other link, not behind a paywall: https://intelligence.house.gov/uploadedfiles/20190812_-_whistleblower_complaint_unclass.pdf