monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

glitterbag

Wed 14 Aug, 2019 06:05 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:

What about those shovel ready jobs Obama promised? How much taxpayer money was wasted on that scam?

It would be more accurate to say 'shovel ready projects'. What it means is the money was only used for major projects that were already planned out and were desperately needed but local governments didn't have the money to begin the project. In the county I live in we had a major project we desperately needed to correct a broken major storm drain problem that was dumping silt into several creeks and also eroding land at such a rapid rate that several houses were in danger of collapsing. That might seem like a 'too bad' for you situation, but we were so far down on the 'doable affordable' list, it would take about 62 years before it would be addressed. The potential damage had it gone on for 62 years could have been catastrophic.

If you actually cared about these issues you could look them up. I just pointed out one project that I have personal knowledge of.....and the money didn't go into Obama's construction company (because he didn't have one) and unlike Trump's pet projects, the shovel ready projects helped the communities that exist in these United States. You could say 'infrastructure' and that would be accurate.

As far as how many tax dollars were used to repair those huge broken concrete drains............just a little over what it cost the tax payers to fund 4 of Trumps weekend soirées at Mar-a-largo. I'm not counting the tax dollars that are spent protecting all of Trumps children as they go gallivanting around the world making deals with dictators and squandering the reputation of this country.
Builder

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 02:06 am
@glitterbag,
About as informative as a lottery ticket,
and half as useful
snood

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 03:25 am
@Builder,
About as informative to you as a lottery ticket would be to a chipmunk. There, fixed it for you.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 04:39 am
Gibraltar already droped legal proceedings against the crew of an Iranian supertanker detained since 4 July, and had been due to lift the detention on the ship this morning, but:
US seeks to seize Grace 1 as Gibraltar moves to release
Quote:
15th August 2019
The US Department of Justice has applied to seize the Iranian supertanker Grace 1 in Gibraltar, just hours before the Gibraltar Government was poised to release it.

Gibraltar had been due to lift the detention on the ship this morning but the move by the US means the decision has now been adjourned until 4pm today.

The developments were revealed by Joseph Triay, the lawyer for Attorney General Michael Llamas QC, during a short hearing in the Supreme Court of Gibraltar.

Mr Triay said: “This application was to have taken a very different turn. It was to have been an application for no further order of detention.”

The grounds for the US application are not clear at this stage but the court was told it was a request from the Department of Justice for mutual legal assistance.

The case has now been adjourned until 4pm this afternoon while Gibraltar’s authorities consider the US application.

Speaking in court, Chief Justice Anthony Dudley made clear that were it not for the US move, “the ship would have sailed.”

In a separate development, a spokesman for the Gibraltar Government confirmed that the captain and three officers of the Grace 1 had been released from arrest.

The Grace 1 was seized in British waters around Gibraltar on July 4 on suspicion it was shipping 2.1m barrels of crude oil to Syria in breach of EU sanctions.

The UK and Gibraltar insist the Grace 1 was stopped because of its destination and not because of the Iranian origin of its cargo. EU sanctions prohibit the direct or indirect supply of any economic resources including crude oil to Syria.

But two weeks after the Grace 1 was boarded by Gibraltar law enforcement agencies supported by British Royal Marines, Iran’s Revolutionary Guards seized a British tanker, the Stena Impero, near the Strait of Hormuz.

The UK sees that as a tit-for-tat move and says there is no parallel between the detention of the Grace 1 in British waters and Iran’s decision to capture the Stena Impero in international waters.

Walter Hinteler

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 08:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
The Grace 1 supertanker is free to leave Gibraltar, the Gibraltar Supreme Court has ruled, following the publication of new regulations.

The United States Department of Justice had put in a request for the detention of Grace 1, to be considered by Gibraltar's Attorney General this afternoon. The supertanker was set to be released today, following an indication by the Attorney General that he would make no further order for its detention. The matter has been adjourned till 4pm.

Hearing the matter in open court this morning, the Chief Justice noted that the AG's application for no further order of detention, made by Joseph Triay, would mean that 'the ship would have sailed'.

But following an initial request, a formal application was made by the US Department of Justice at 1.36am for the vessel's detention under a separate order. According to the Government of Gibraltar, the US DoJ "applied to seize the Grace 1 on a number of allegations which are now being considered".

However, in a private hearing, the Chief Justice ruled that no US request for detention of the Grace 1 had been presented to the Supreme Court,
Gibraltar News
Walter Hinteler

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 08:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Trump urged Israel to block the entry of Tlaib and Omar, and seems to be successful.
It's not so easy to convince a court.
Region Philbis

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 09:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,

could you imagine Obama pulling a stunt like that?

me neither...
neptuneblue

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 09:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
WHY would he block his own government members?

Is he FOR America or is that just a slogan to him?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 09:24 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
It would be more accurate to say 'shovel ready projects'.

Except that wasn't the selling point of the stimulus spending, it was suppose to create jobs, not cover the expenses that cities didn't want to provide for their own services and projects. How many people were hired to complete that project? I'm willing to bet the answer is no one, the city already had the employees but used the money for a project.

Quote:
What it means is the money was only used for major projects that were already planned out and were desperately needed but local governments didn't have the money to begin the project.

Once again, this goes against the selling point of the program Obama was pushing. It was suppose to stimulate the job market, not cover expenses for cities, that sounds like a misuse of govt funds, if no one was hired for the "shovel ready jobs".

Quote:
That might seem like a 'too bad' for you situation, but we were so far down on the 'doable affordable' list, it would take about 62 years before it would be addressed. The potential damage had it gone on for 62 years could have been catastrophic.

The question is, why did the county put such a critical project so far down the list? What other crap where they wasting money on that they couldn't fix a major drain issue that was effecting taxpayers?

Obama lied about his jobs program, and the media as usual covered his ass. If they "fact checked" Obama half as much as they "fact check" Trump, Obama would be close to Trump in the lying dept.

This quote from Obama says it all:
Obama, Dec. 3 2009: The term ‘shovel-ready’ — let’s be honest, it doesn’t always live up to its billing.

https://www.factcheck.org/2009/12/obamas-economic-speech/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/11/01/the-reason-that-shovel-ready-stimulus-didnt-work-is-that-there-wasnt-any-stimulus/#1127362ddc5e
glitterbag

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 09:37 am
@Baldimo,
That's how you wish to characterize it for reasons of your own.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 09:42 am
@Region Philbis,
Actually, I didn't find any country which made efforts to block the international travel of elected lawmakers. (I might be wrong.)
Baldimo

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 09:43 am
@glitterbag,
Forbes and Factcheck.org disagree with your assessment. The outcome of the program was a failure, the MSM at the time did the soft sell of the failure but it was a failure none the less. It's amazing how the leftist media covered and continues to cover for Obama's lies and failures.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 09:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
People in the UK sure did try to block Trump from coming there. What short and convenient memories you guys seem to have.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/01/18/europe/uk-parliament-debates-trump-ban/index.html
Quote:
But Monday, the Republican presidential candidate is entering unfamiliar territory, even by his larger-than-life standards, as members of the British Parliament hold a debate over a petition calling for the U.S. businessman-turned-politician to be banned from the country.
revelette1

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 09:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Trump is just contemptible, there is no other word for him. Nothing he does or says surprises me unless it is something half decent. I am tired of him being the focus of the world and wish he was gone.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 09:52 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
People in the UK sure did try to block Trump from coming there. What short and convenient memories you guys seem to have.
I searched for a president/head of government, who tried successfully to block elected lawmakers of his/her country to travel internationally.

Besides that, not only people in the UK try to block Trump from coming there, people in other countries do a lot and similar about other persons and things - freedom of opinion, I think.
Baldimo

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 10:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
So your claim in the last post was incorrect, there have been countries before who tried to block politicians from entering their country. I noticed that you slightly changed the wording in this post to look for a leader or head of govt for a country who tried to block lawmakers from traveling to their countries.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 10:34 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

So your claim in the last post was incorrect, there have been countries before who tried to block politicians from entering their country. I noticed that you slightly changed the wording in this post to look for a leader or head of govt for a country who tried to block lawmakers from traveling to their countries.
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I searched for a president/head of government, who tried successfully to block elected lawmakers of his/her country to travel internationally.
The above is my original post, nothing changed, neither slightly nor adding something.

Besides that, I hadn't thought posting here something what Israel does - my post is pointing at Trump's efforts to convince Israel to block
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Trump urged Israel to block the entry of Tlaib and Omar, and seems to be successful.
izzythepush

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 10:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Fascists like Baldy hate it when people exercise their democratic rights. There was a petition to ban Trump which I signed because I didn't want that slobbering piece of **** contaminating the air over here. It was debated in parliament because it reached the required amount of signatures, but there's no way the Commons would ban a US presidential candidate.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 10:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Quote:
Separately, the United States Department of Justice has requested that a new legal procedure for
the detention of the vessel should be commenced.
That is a matter for our independent Mutual Legal Assistance authorities who will make an
objective, legal determination of that request for separate proceedings.
The Grace 1 is therefore now released from detention under the Sanctions Act by operation of law
as confirmed this afternoon by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
From the statement of the Chief Minister
0 Replies

Baldimo

Thu 15 Aug, 2019 10:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Did you miss this line you typed?
Quote:
Actually, I didn't find any country which made efforts to block the international travel of elected lawmakers. (I might be wrong.)