monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Tue 6 Aug, 2019 05:40 pm
Republicans stand firmly against group-think. They celebrate diversity not just in matters of gender, race, religion, and ethnicity but also as regards political thought.
Quote:
After criticizing Trump, Nebraska Republican is urged to leave party

...As part of his series of tweets, McCollister added, “When the history books are written, I refuse to be someone who said nothing. The time is now for us Republicans to be honest with what is happening inside our party. We are better than this and I implore my Republican colleagues to stand up and do the right thing.”

This apparently didn’t go over well with the legislator’s colleagues. Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts (R) denounced the comments as “baseless” and said he stood with Trump.

The state GOP, meanwhile, called on McCollister to leave the party altogether.
Benen
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 6 Aug, 2019 05:45 pm
Quote:
Facebook let Trump's campaign run over 2,000 ads referring to immigration as an “invasion”
At least nine other Republicans have also pushed the white supremacist, anti-immigrant talking point in Facebook ads.
MM
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 6 Aug, 2019 06:27 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
According to Laura Cruz-Acosta, communications manager for the El Paso city manager's office, the president has an outstanding bill of $569,204.63 for police and public safety services associated with a February campaign rally.
Texas Tribune
Golly. What a surprise.

theRump still owes D.C. $7 million in inauguration costs:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/trump-still-owes-dc-7-million-in-inauguration-costs-as-he-plans-july-fourth-gala/2019/06/13/c55565b6-8df5-11e9-8f69-a2795fca3343_story.html

I recommend the good people of El Paso impound Air Force 1 until all payments are paid Twisted Evil
blatham

Tue 6 Aug, 2019 06:31 pm
@BillW,
Good plan, Bill.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 6 Aug, 2019 06:33 pm
@BillW,
you know what it costs to park and maintain that bus?
BillW

Tue 6 Aug, 2019 06:34 pm
@farmerman,
That $500,00 debt would just keep being increased! Maybe it would go on so long that forfeiture is a possibility?
farmerman

Tue 6 Aug, 2019 07:09 pm
@BillW,
its your plan. I submit that you should go for it. we can drive that sucker all over and get free drinks. SHOTGUN!!
blatham

Tue 6 Aug, 2019 07:11 pm
@farmerman,
partee partee partee
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 6 Aug, 2019 07:13 pm
Mensa Moments
Quote:
Mediaite
Louie Gohmert: Charging El Paso Shooter for Hate Crime Will Be ‘Used to Lock Up Preachers Someday’
blatham

Tue 6 Aug, 2019 08:47 pm
I just bumped into this Scientific American piece from October 2015. Some of you will be familiar with elements of this story already.
Quote:
Exxon Knew about Climate Change almost 40 years ago

A new investigation shows the oil company understood the science before it became a public issue and spent millions to promote misinformation
HERE
BillW

Tue 6 Aug, 2019 09:11 pm
@blatham,
As with car companies and crashes (and oil), car/coal/tobacco companies with smoke, chemical companies with pesticides/herbicide, and on and on and on.......
0 Replies

Builder

Tue 6 Aug, 2019 09:39 pm
Speaking of cars......

Quote:
Ford Motor announced Tuesday that it would cancel plans for a $1.6 billion Mexico plant and launch a Michigan expansion in a move that may be viewed as a capitulation to Donald Trump.

Ford CEO Mark Fields said the company would spend $700 million and add 700 jobs to "transform and expand" its Flat Rock, Mich. manufacturing plant to make autonomous and electric vehicles.

"Make no mistake about it — Ford is a global automaker but our home is right here in the United States," Fields said at a press conference.

source
glitterbag

Tue 6 Aug, 2019 10:58 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Mensa Moments
Quote:
Mediaite
Louie Gohmert: Charging El Paso Shooter for Hate Crime Will Be ‘Used to Lock Up Preachers Someday’

I missed that!!!!!! Holy Longhorns Batman, the next time Texas threatens to secede from the Union I suggest we take them up on the offer, have a contract ready to sign and ship the whole kit and caboodle to Mexico. (Hands down, Texas and Kentucky are neck in neck for sending the most 'out-house crazy rats' to Washington, D.C.
hightor

Wed 7 Aug, 2019 04:04 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Comprehension never was your strong suit, right?

The poll refutes what you're discussing this page above.

Goldberg wasn't discussing Trump's popularity — looks like you might have a comprehension problem.

Quote:
Not much being said about the Ohio shooter.

So we're keeping score here? Hell, John Wilkes Booth was a Democrat. The issue is gun violence and easy access to high capacity magazines. Had the guy issued a political manifesto there might have been more attention paid to the possibility of a political motive. Betts seems to be more like the "sickos" Trump is always talking about.
oralloy

Wed 7 Aug, 2019 05:27 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
The issue is gun violence and easy access to high capacity magazines.

What's really odd is that you actually understand this. But then whenever leftists sabotage their own movement with a deranged focus on trying to ban pistol grips on rifles, instead of trying to point out reality to your fellow leftists, you attack me for trying to point out reality to your fellow leftists.

I realize that pointing out reality to a leftist is a thankless task. But you do realize that when the NRA defeats the left's extremist positions again and no gun control is passed, the lack of action is going to be your fault?
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 7 Aug, 2019 05:28 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Ford CEO Mark Fields said the company would spend $700 million and add 700 jobs to "transform and expand" its Flat Rock, Mich. manufacturing plant to make autonomous and electric vehicles.

Outstanding. Thank you Mr. Trump!
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 7 Aug, 2019 05:49 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Do you think the Russians consider you worth keeping?

So you think that anyone who defends Israel from your false accusations must themselves be Israeli?
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 7 Aug, 2019 05:50 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
2. I would also add that Obama is actually one of our best presidents over the last 60 years or so.

Yet it was Obama who made the most catastrophic blunder of any President ever.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 7 Aug, 2019 07:34 am
@hightor
Just got to reading the NYRB link you posted a couple of days ago, Burning Down the House. Here's a line near the end that resonated with me
Quote:
Once, a well-known journalist whom I won’t name remarked, as we commiserated over the infuriating, deteriorating state of affairs we were covering, “You know that someday we’ll ditch this journalism crap and become terrorists.”
McKibben is quite a guy.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 7 Aug, 2019 07:45 am
@glitterbag,
Wouldn't it be wonderful if Mexico actually did wish to take over Texas. But sadly they aren't that stupid or self-destructive.
0 Replies