monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

McGentrix

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 03:39 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

There’s a Bigger Prize Than Impeachment

Keeping Trump in office will destroy the Republican Party.

I'd like to see more of you get behind this experiment.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 03:40 pm
@hightor,
Yeah, I’ve considered the eventuality of Trump remaining in office, and it destroying the Republican Party. I think the chances are just as good that it could go a long way toward destroying our country, though.
livinglava

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 04:04 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Yeah, I’ve considered the eventuality of Trump remaining in office, and it destroying the Republican Party. I think the chances are just as good that it could go a long way toward destroying our country, though.

What is being destroyed is democracy, i.e. the ability to have a reason-based public discussion about issues and policy, without it turning into a war for dominance between opposing factions.
Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 04:58 pm
@revelette1,
David Brooks wrote:
The first force is Donald Trump, who represents a threat to the American systems of governance. Centuries ago our founders created a system of laws and not men. In our system of government there are procedures in place, based on certain values -- impartiality, respect for institutions, the idea that a public office is a public trust, not a private bauble.

When Trump appears in the Mueller report, he is often running roughshod over these systems and violating these values. He asks his lawyer to hamper an investigation. He asks his F.B.I. director to take the heat off his allies. He tries to get the relevant investigators fired. I don't know if his actions meet the legal standard of obstruction of justice, but they certainly meet the common-sense standard of interference with justice.

Our founders created a system where the President is 100% in charge of the executive branch.

The government's decision to shut down this investigation doesn't run roughshod over anything other than the Democrats' desire to abuse the law to persecute people who disagree with them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 04:59 pm
@hightor,
Joe Lockhart wrote:
Just as Speaker Gingrich did in 1998, Speaker Nancy Pelosi could direct the impeachment of President Trump because she can. Unlike in 1998, she stands on firmer ground: The Clinton case involved an egregious personal mistake and purported steps to cover it up; the Trump case involves an effort to thwart an investigation into a foreign attack on our democratic system.

Not even close. The Bill Clinton case involved serious crimes to cover up his sexual predation.

The Trump case involves no criminal activity.

Joe Lockhart wrote:
Inevitably the news media and the political chattering class, of which I count myself as a card-carrying member, has focused on the party politics of impeachment. With the benefit of hindsight, impeaching President Clinton was a disaster for the Republicans. Mr. Clinton's job approval was at a record 73 percent the month he was impeached, Democrat's defied the odds and picked up seats in the midterm elections and Mr. Gingrich returned to the private sector.

Leftists never tell the truth.

Bill Clinton's impeachment did not even begin until AFTER the election.

Joe Lockhart wrote:
For Democrats, leaving Donald Trump in office is not only good politics -- it is the best chance for fundamental realignment of American politics in more than a generation. Mr. Trump is three years into destroying what we know as the Republican Party. Another two years just might finish it off. Trumpism has become Republicanism, and that spells electoral doom for the party.

Actually it is going to spell the Republicans holding the White House for 20 years (or even longer).
oralloy

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 05:00 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

The country is going to be fine. It is delusional leftism that is going to be destroyed.

But that's OK. Leftists are bad news. The destruction of their demented ideology is a good thing.
neptuneblue

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 06:13 pm
@oralloy,
Equality isn't delusional.
oralloy

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 06:33 pm
@neptuneblue,
True. But the left's perpetual denial of reality is.
neptuneblue

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 06:36 pm
@oralloy,
And whose reality are you speaking of?

oralloy

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 06:39 pm
@neptuneblue,
Reality does not belong to anyone. Reality is just reality.
neptuneblue

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 06:45 pm
@oralloy,
My reality does belong to me. Whole and to the furthest extent. What I interpret you saying is that I have no rights, other than having to abide by what YOU think is good for me.

So I reject that notion.

I have a say in my own life. Republicans want/will take that away. So, yeah, I'll fight that with every step. Now THAT"S reality for you.
oralloy

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 06:57 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
My reality does belong to me. Whole and to the furthest extent.

No. Reality is just reality. It does not belong to anyone.

neptuneblue wrote:
What I interpret you saying is that I have no rights, other than having to abide by what YOU think is good for me.

Where did I say anything even remotely like that?

neptuneblue wrote:
I have a say in my own life. Republicans want/will take that away.

I doubt that they want any such thing.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 07:06 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Leftists never tell the truth.

Lol! I can't believe you even went there...
oralloy

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 07:12 pm
@neptuneblue,
There is something about reality that leftists just don't like.

I don't know what it is about reality that they dislike. But whatever it is, they really don't like it.
neptuneblue

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 07:20 pm
@oralloy,
Yep, I agree.

I don't like mass murder.
I don't like rape.
I don't like discrimination.
I don't like voter suppression.

Yep, I REALLY DON"T LIKE IT.
oralloy

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 07:26 pm
@neptuneblue,
Is "voter suppression" a euphemism for "not letting Democrats cheat"?
neptuneblue

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 07:33 pm
@oralloy,
When have you ever known me to use euphemisms?

Would you like me to start?

oralloy

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 07:40 pm
@neptuneblue,
If it's not a euphemism for "not letting democrats cheat" then there is no voter suppression.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 08:38 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
The only reason you think there is a more persuasive story against Hillary Clinton is because it’s a required core belief of the Republican Party religion that Thou Must Hate Hillary, the she-beast threat that mysoginists must fear and if possible, destroy.
Really ? On what basis do you presume to know how I formed my judgments on the matter? Shall I accuse you of doing the same thing, but from a different perspective? I suspect you would find that both presumptuous and insulting - as do I.

glitterbag wrote:
This malarkey about the ‘dossier’ is a false flag, it wasn’t prepared by the Russians to help Hillary...it was the work of a former Intell professional. There is no guarantee that every sleazy allegation in that document is true, but it smacks of classic Russian disinformation woven with truth.
I never suggested the dossier was prepared by Russians, Instead I indicated it was based on information provided by Russians and was likely known to the Russian Intelligence services. Do you disagree with that?

glitterbag wrote:
Russia and her satellites are masters of the game, it’s not really all that surprising that you and a few others are hopelessly compromised because of your inability to sift thru the allegations.
How the hell do you claim to know that I am unable to "sift through" the information available to me? I believe my experience and ability in dealing with conflicting reports about sometimes complex issues is at least equal to that of some deskbound analyst, and unlike them I have directed and led the action of people and a wide variety of organizations in dealing with the results … and have learned a lot about reported information generally in the process.

More to the point I have provided a very plausible estimate of Putin's likely motives here, based on objective facts. And it does not support the current media line. In addition it also appears that the leaders our Intelligence agencies were themselves compromised in the matter, and took their marching orders from a politically motivated administration seeking to discredit an opponent in a then forthcoming election. So much for their objectivity and integrity.

glitterbag wrote:
Our allies see all of this and I guarantee you that they also collect Intell and will make the decisions on how to best protect their own interests. It may involve isolating the US if they determine we are not trustworthy.
Our allies will act in their perceived self interest in every issue, as they always have.. I strongly suspect that most of them are aware of the Obama Administration's likely deliberate misuse of laws and procedures governing domestic surveillance , as well as the criminally careless handling of compartmented security information by our former Secretary of State, If there is any threat to their trust of our information management it is likely that.

In any event in this post Soviet era our European allies don't appear to be very interested in their own defense, much less that of other NATO allies like Poland and the Baltic States(and it is obvious that they plus Hungary and Slovakia are aware of this to as they and Poland have created their own sub regional defense alliance.) Germany in particular is clearly more committed to their Russian relations than that of her NATO partners, including the U.S. (history isn't over and the "united " Europe is slowly but inexorably moving back toward a 19th century model).