monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:05 pm
@BillRM,
Personally, I'd sooner those bombers were in Venezuela than Russia.
0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:10 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Would the Monroe Doctrine apply? I thought it was meant to deter imperial adventures in America's back yard. The Russians haven't invaded Venezuela, they were invited in.

That where the good old Monroe Doctrine corollary come into play where we had claim broad police powers to keep order in South American as we see fit.

Next we and the EU nations do not recognize the government who invited them in as valid for that matter.

The Russians are fishing in trouble waters far from their home and slapping back would not be uncalled for.
coldjoint

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:11 pm
Quote:
Pennsylvania Muslim lawmaker: Prayer in name of Jesus is “Islamophobic"

And.
Quote:
Time for all Christians to convert to Islam. Anything else would “offend."

She is deadly serious.
Quote:
Movita Johnson-Harrell has now provided more proof that this was correct. By calling Borowicz’s prayer “Islamophobic,” she is in effect saying that the public expression of the Christian Faith mocks Islam and despises Islamic teachings.

The lesson is clear. If the advice of the cosseted, suburban Western Christians who were excoriating me for the Garland event is to be heeded, Christians should make no public expression of their faith at all, and convert to Islam, so as to avoid mocking, provoking, and offending Muslims, and poking them in the eye.

Who is going to convert to Islam so Muslims are not offended?
Quote:
So Harris says that Christians must not flaunt their religion. Not coincidentally, that is exactly what Islamic law says about Christians: that they should carry on their worship quietly, behind closed doors, and never make public display of it. Oh, and by the way, speaking of flaunting one’s religion, Movita Johnson-Harrell wears a hijab. Harris is not on record objecting to that kind of flaunting one’s religion.

https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/273279/pennsylvania-muslim-lawmaker-prayer-name-jesus-robert-spencer
hightor

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:42 pm
@coldjoint,
Robert Spencer wrote:
The lesson is clear. If the advice of the cosseted, suburban Western Christians who were excoriating me for the Garland event is to be heeded, Christians should make no public expression of their faith at all ...

Interestingly, Matthew has Jesus saying something very similar:
Quote:
Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in synagogues and on street corners so that people can see them. Truly I say to you, they have their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you (Matthew 6:5-6).

Of course stupid controversies like this could be easily avoided if religion were left in the churches, mosques, and synagogues and separated from civil functions of the state. Build the wall!
izzythepush

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:52 pm
@BillRM,
How would you do that. Military incursions by the Yankees would turn Maduro into a hero.

You weren't successful at hearts and minds in Vietnam either. Remember how that turned out?
coldjoint

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:53 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
be easily avoided if religion were left in the churches, mosques, and synagogues

The Islamic people take it everywhere. You are offensive because you are not a Muslim. Hard to comprehend? Does not matter, that is what Islam teaches. I am all for separation of church and state. Islam cannot separate the two. If you wish to see Muslims in politics this comes with them, and so does terror.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 03:13 pm
@BillRM,
I wouldn't call it a joke....it can carry a max of 88,000 pounds ordnance.
blatham

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 04:22 pm
These people lie every day. And they lie about their lying. What do you do with people who are this morally degraded? Removing them from power is the only way forward. They aren't going to suddenly change on their own.

Quote:
White House counselor Kellyanne Conway was in high dudgeon this week, telling reporters that she not only opposed the investigation into the Russia scandal, she was insulted by the allegations surrounding it.

Quote:
“The idea that any of us, and me as a campaign manager, would cheat, steal, lie, cut corners, talk to Russians, was an insult from the beginning.”

That’s an interesting set of complaints, especially given her use of the phrase “any of us” – as in, any of the top officials who helped run Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign.

What’s less clear is what, exactly, Conway finds so insulting. Let’s take her complaints one at a time.

Is it outrageous to think a top member of the Trump campaign would “cheat”? Well, no, not really. Conway’s predecessor in the president’s political operation was Paul Manafort, who was recently sentenced to several years in a federal penitentiary for, among other things, committing fraud.

Is it outrageous to think a top member of the Trump campaign would “steal”? I’m afraid not. Rick Gates, who served as the deputy chairman of the president’s political operation conceded last summer he may have helped himself to some of the money raised by the Trump inaugural fund.

Is it outrageous to think a top member of the Trump campaign would “cut corners”? Actually, Donald Trump himself has been directly implicated in a hush-money scandal that ran afoul of federal campaign-finance laws.

Is it outrageous to think a top member of the Trump campaign would “talk to Russians”? Well, as it turns out, despite Conway’s previous assertions that no one from the Republican campaign team spoke to Russians during their attack on our elections, we now know more than a few Trump campaign officials and advisers had these communications.

In fact, the last time I checked, former White House National Security Advisor Michael Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about talking to Russians.

In other words, it appears that what Kellyanne Conway described as wrong to the point of being insulting happens to be true.
Benen
coldjoint

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 04:38 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
These people lie every day. And they lie about their lying.

And they don't apologize? Go figure.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 04:42 pm
More on scumbag liar types
Quote:
After starting more political fires than he put out, Rudy Giuliani lowered his media profile recently, though Donald Trump’s lawyer did sit down yesterday with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, who had some interesting exchanges with the former mayor.

The host asked, for example, “Is there an innocent explanation why so many Trump associates were meeting with Russians during the campaign?” Giuliani replied, “It wasn’t that many.”

As the Republican lawyer made the comment, viewers saw on screen a list of 16 Trump associates who met with Russians during the Kremlin’s operation against our elections.
Benen
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 04:49 pm
CNN Poll: Majority says Trump not exonerated of collusion after Barr's summary

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/cnn-poll-majority-says-trump-not-exonerated-of-collusion-after-barrs-summary/ar-BBVj9ai?ocid=spartandhp
georgeob1

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 04:55 pm
@blatham,
Do you consider opinion pieces from MSNBC Such as the one you posted above to be unbiased and objective with respect to Trump? How about Fox News? I consider all of their "reporters" and a couple of others to be mere propagandists. except Baier & Wallace. MSNBC is the same, or worse.
coldjoint

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 04:58 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Majority says Trump not exonerated of collusion after Barr's summary

People are sure hooked on that word. Nothing amounted to a chargeable level. In this world, that is exonerated. If he were on the Left there would be parades.
georgeob1

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 05:10 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Majority says Trump not exonerated of collusion after Barr's summary

People are sure hooked on that word. Nothing amounted to a chargeable level. In this world, that is exonerated. If he were on the Left there would be parades.

"Exonerated" depends on both the facts and the beliefs of one who addresses them. Clearly many or most Democrats, don't consider Trump exonerated of either the "collusion with Russia charge or the stir regarding obstruction of justice.

The simple facts are that Mueller was charged with the examination of the collusion question and his report clearly concludes that he has found no evidence supporting a probable cause finding on that matter. Under the law the Attorney General determines whether an obstruction of justice has occurred, and he has said no. In short the legally designated officials have concluded there is an absence of probable cause, and as a result, no legal basis for legal action against the President on either matter.

Does that constitute exoneration? In the strictly legal sense it certainly does, in that there is no basis for follow-up legal action, and under our law the basic principle is that one is innocent until proven guilty.

In the eyes of other beholders, particularly those who are political opponents of Trump it evidently does not. That is their right, but their opinion in the matter has no legal standing.
coldjoint

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 05:23 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Does that constitute exoneration? In the strictly legal sense it certainly does, in that there is no basis for follow-up legal action, and under our law the basic principle is that one is innocent until proven guilty.

How did that work? The presuming of innocence working lately? Democrats refuse to respect (due process) the laws, and anybody that sees them differently, that they say they are defending.

I never thought a major political party could be so anti-American and still get votes.

blatham

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 05:45 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Do you consider opinion pieces from MSNBC Such as the one you posted above to be unbiased and objective with respect to Trump? How about Fox News? I consider all of their "reporters" and a couple of others to be mere propagandists. except Baier & Wallace. MSNBC is the same, or worse.

Quote:
unbiased and objective
No such creature exists. We all bring our biases and preferences and they inform or color how we see the world. So you are going to have to get much more discerning in how/when you make such claims of bias unless you want to simply equate everyone with everyone else. However, as an epistemological methodology that's not going to get you anywhere helpful.

Quote:
MSNBC is the same, or worse.
So first of all you have the problem I've noted right above. Secondly, I have no evidence you know much at all about what goes on at MSNBC. You've watched how many hours of Maddow's show? How many hours of anyone there? I gather you are getting these claims from others.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 05:46 pm
@coldjoint,
A brief summary does not constitute any "law." It's only an opinion (of the AG) and I'd like to see the rest of the report to form my own opinion. If need be, then give my opinion to my State's Congressional representatives and Senate members. And to allow them to do their job accordingly.
BillRM

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 06:27 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I wouldn't call it a joke....it can carry a max of 88,000 pounds ordnance.

That nice as it would make a large and pretty fireball in our sky as no such bomber is going to be able to reach US airspace an it is zero possible threat park on a runway in Venezuela.
BillRM

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 06:40 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

How would you do that. Military incursions by the Yankees would turn Maduro into a hero.
You weren't successful at hearts and minds in Vietnam either. Remember how that turned out?

Give me a break it is not Vietnam it is in our backyard with out neighboring nations able less alone willing to support any conflict with the US.

It you wish to have a recent analog it would be the nations of Panama or Haiti.

Sending in the US marines to deal with such minor matters have a long history.

In fact a choice in my opinion should be given to Maduro of leaving with some of the wealth he had rip off of his nation or being place in Noriega old cell.
glitterbag

Wed 27 Mar, 2019 06:49 pm
@BillRM,
You're right, it's zero threat sitting in Venezuela. That aircraft was used during the Cold War for long range reconnaissance and it carried conventional and nuclear weapons. The USSR suspended the flights in 1992 when everybody pretended the Cold War was over and Putin resumed the armed flights in 2007. In 1992 it was considered a big deal, by 2007 it was on page three in the Washington Post, hardly made a squeak. I just don't trust the Russians and I think they are emboldened by the blob of jello in the White House.
0 Replies