monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

glitterbag

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 09:55 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Lol! Yep, you have absolutely NO clue what colleges research. I'm surprised your advanced intelligence didn't stop you from posting drivel.

Oh come on, you're not surprised....hell, no one's surprised. But I am happy that you said it.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 09:55 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
That you think posting facts that you dislike means that I deserve to be subjected to childish sniping sums up everything that is wrong about you.

Get over it. I post facts too. You aren't the only one with a brain. Although I do claim to have a better sense of humor.
FreedomEyeLove

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 09:58 pm
Here, from one of your leftist news sources even...

University of Missouri Fires Melissa Click, Who Tried to Block Journalist at Protest

A University of Missouri professor whose shout of “I need some muscle over here,” to remove a student journalist from a demonstration sparked an international debate over the limits of protest and a free press, has been fired, the university announced Thursday.

Melissa Click, an assistant professor of communications, was captured on video on Nov. 9 trying, with dozens of others allied with the protesters, to prevent photographers from approaching the protesters’ encampment on the flagship campus in Columbia. When a young man making a video recording identified himself as a journalist, she told him to leave, grabbed at his camera and called out, “Hey, who wants to help me get this reporter out of here? I need some muscle over here.”

Later, it emerged that she had been involved in a confrontation with the police in October, along with students who were trying to block a homecoming parade.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/26/us/university-of-missouri-fires-melissa-click-who-tried-to-block-journalist-at-protest.html
FreedomEyeLove

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:00 pm
@FreedomEyeLove,

Boy, this sure looks like free speech to me! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:04 pm
@FreedomEyeLove,
FreedomEyeLove wrote:
Do you remember that professor that tried to shut down those conservative students a year or two ago from speaking on campus. She had glasses, and she was caught on video asking for some "muscle" to rough up the students.
I can't remember her name, but it was a big news story.

I don't. It sounds vaguely familiar, but I think I only heard superficial details about it.

I do remember the case where leftist students ran rampage over a campus and terrorized professors with no opposition from the authorities, until a bunch of white supremacists got wind of it and bombarded the college with death threats and finally forced the authorities to take control of the situation.

0 Replies

neptuneblue

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:06 pm
@FreedomEyeLove,
For every one article or video you post, I can produce three to refute your claim.

coldjoint

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:09 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
I can produce three to refute your claim.

Then do it.
oralloy

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:10 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
Get over it.

When you rely on childish sniping as your means of argument, you should not whine when you are criticized for your poor behavior.

neptuneblue wrote:
I post facts too.

If so, they went unnoticed due to your childish sniping. You should learn how civilized people discuss facts. Your current manner is boorish and infantile.
neptuneblue

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:11 pm
@coldjoint,
Manana.
neptuneblue

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:16 pm
@oralloy,
*Sniff.

I feel oh so awful.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:18 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
Manana.

Anxious to see how many were hoaxes.
0 Replies

FreedomEyeLove

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:20 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
For every one article or video you post, I can produce three to refute your claim.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh please, as if your thoroughly discredited leftist 'sources' matter.

Pretty hard to dispute video evidence.

But the more important questions is, why is your goal simply to 'refute my claim'?

You make that statement as if the goal shouldn't be to find the objective truth.

Those who's goal is simply to silence others do not have truth on their side. If they had the truth, they would want opposing voices to speak up, if for no other reason than to make them look like fools with their own words.

Answer me this, why are leftists afraid of someone like Ben Shapiro for example speaking on campus if they have nothing to hide?
0 Replies

FreedomEyeLove

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:24 pm
Quote:
There is no denial of free speech on campuses.

The 'tolerant left' for your own eyes to see

FreedomEyeLove

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:30 pm
Evergreen Ranks as One of the Worst Colleges in the U.S. for Free Speech

Evergreen State College—the small, progressive, public liberal arts school in Olympia that made national headlines over student protests last year—has been ranked as one of the worst universities in the nation for free speech by the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE), as the Seattle Times reports.

FIRE, an organization with the mission of defending "freedom of speech, legal equality, due process, religious liberty, and sanctity of conscience," referred to the saga of former Evergreen professor Bret Weinstein in their analysis. They write:

One year ago, this small, liberal arts college in Olympia, Washington was unknown to most of the country. Now it has achieved a kind of infamy, at least in higher education circles.

It started when Evergreen State College staff decided to invert their annual “Day of Absence.” Traditionally, that’s a day when people of color leave the campus to illustrate how much the community depends on them. In 2017, however, Evergreen’s administration decided to ask white people to leave campus instead.

Biology Professor Bret Weinstein responded to this request on a staff and faculty email list, objecting to the idea of asking people to leave rather than having a group voluntarily leave. Weinstein’s message ended with: “On a college campus, one’s right to speak — or to be — must never be based on skin color.”

Some weeks later, after the Day of Absence had passed, 50 students showed up outside Weinstein’s class. They shouted and chanted until he came out, accusing him of racism and demanding his resignation. They yelled over him when he tried to talk and blocked him when he tried to leave. Students then occupied the library, surrounding the college president’s office. They reportedly blocked entrances with furniture. ...

Protest is good. Calls for censorship are not. Disagreeing over how to stand up for diversity is not a good reason to intimidate or attempt to silence anyone.

Weinstein, for his part, agrees with the FIRE's ranking, although he disputes the Times protrayal of the unrest at Evergreen. Times higher education reporter Katherine Long wrote that Weinstein "questioned an event called Day of Absence, in which white students who chose to participate were asked to go off campus to discuss race issues, while students of color remained on campus." Weinstein says white students weren't "asked" to go off campus, they were ordered to. And according to minutes recorded during a meeting of the Equity Council in January 2017, Rashida Love, at the time the head of the campus diversity office, "secured commitments from 15-17 faculty members to require that their students participate" in the event.

"The mainstream press can not seem to get this story straight," Weistein told me in an email. "It wants to paint the picture as if I took offense at something minor, when in fact, I responded to coerced racial segregation in the way any decent person should: by saying that it’s wrong, and refusing to participate. It is negligent to report the story as if whites weren’t asked to leave campus, and as if students in many programs weren’t required to participate. The new structure for Day of Absence was blatantly illegal, and the documentation is now readily available. The fact that the Seattle Times won’t correct the story even after the facts have been brought to their attention makes it clear that their portrayal isn’t really news. It’s a bedtime story designed to make people feel better about what is happening than they should."

But what happened at Evergreen is more complex than just a disagreement over the Day of Absence, as Weinstein told me during an extensive interview last month, and it began well before spring of 2017. Weinstein says that the whole battle stemmed from an equity plan that college president George Bridges and others attempted to impose upon the school, with, according to Weinstein, no opportunity for debate.

"Equity" has become something of a buzzword in recent years, but the basic principle is that institutions should strive for equal outcomes for everyone, regardless of circumstances like race and privilege that may help or hinder student success. It's the step after diversity: First you diversify the student body, then you make the environment work equally for everyone.

At Evergreen, an Equity Council appointed by the president was tasked with formulating ways of increasing equity on campus. One of Weinstein's central objections to the Equity Council's proposal was that it recommended revising hiring practices so that faculty would be prioritized based on their ability to put equity at the center of their teaching, and that this recommendation was well outside the bounds of the Equity Council's stated mission. To Weinstein, it looked like anyone who didn’t center equity in the classroom would be ineligible for hire at Evergreen, and anyone who refused to comply could be pushed out.

“Taken to its logical conclusion,” Weinstein and his wife Heather Heying—who was also a professor at Evergreen—wrote in a Washington Examiner editorial, “this policy would mean hiring no more artists, or chemists, or writing faculty, or any faculty, really, unless their research or training could be defended on the grounds of ‘equity.’ That would spell the end of the liberal arts college.”

The equity plan, not the Day of Absence, is what started it all, but over last spring, tensions on campus continued to mount. Student protesters first took over Weinstein's class, as FIRE noted, and then the entire campus. They barricaded themselves in the library, took over administrative offices, and there were reports of groups of students patrolling the campus with batons and bats, calling themselves a “community watch."

The scandal escalated after Weinstein appeared on a Fox News segment called "Campus Craziness" with Tucker Carlson. Afterward, Weinstein's colleagues argued that by appearing on the conservative news network, he had put the campus in danger, and 90 of his colleagues signed a letter to the administration demanding an investigation.

Weinstein, who describes himself as "deeply progressive," takes issue with this, insisting that crossing ideological lines is necessary to an open society, and that it was the students’ behavior that put the school in danger, not him. Whoever is to blame, alt-right media outlets like Breitbart, Heat Street, and the Daily Caller soon picked up the story, and viewers from all over the country began sending racist emails to some Evergreen faculty, staff, and students.

There were threats of violence as well. On June 1, 2017, after weeks of student actions, an anonymous threat was phoned into the Thurston County 911 Dispatch Center. “I’m on my way to Evergreen University now with a .44 Magnum,” the caller said. “I’m going to execute as many people on the campus as I can get a hold of.” The threat was false—the caller, it turned out, was at home in New Jersey—but the school was shut down. Authorities were so concerned about campus security that they decided to hold last spring's graduation off campus.

In the ensuing months, at least six faculty members resigned from Evergreen, including both Weinstein and Heying, Rashida Love and another employee who opposed Weinstein, and the head of the campus police. The school paid out nearly $750,000 in settlements, including a half-million to Weinstein and Heying. They say after legal fees, it's about two years joint salary.

Evergreen did not immediately respond to request for comment, but in a statement published by the Seattle Times, officials said that the school “has always been a college that embraces difficult issues through dialogue and debate. We value the freedom of speech and expression of all our students, faculty, and staff. Throughout the events on our campus last spring our commitment to the freedom of speech of our faculty members, staff and students remained steadfast.”

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/02/14/25815286/evergreen-ranks-as-one-of-the-worst-colleges-in-the-us-for-free-speech
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:38 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Like ColdJoint said: then do so.

The result of such an endeavor would be an interesting debate of facts.

That would be far more interesting than childish antics.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:38 pm
@FreedomEyeLove,
It all boils down to money:

Trump vows to 'fix' student loan debt
By Katie Lobosco, CNN

Washington (CNN)The Trump administration is floating several policy proposals to address student loan debt, as college affordability becomes a popular topic for Democrats on the 2020 campaign trail.

"Student loan debt. I'm going to work to fix it. Because it's outrageous what's happening. You're not given that fair start," President Donald Trump said Thursday during an executive order signing event in the East Room of the White House.

The order aims to protect free speech on college campuses, but also includes two provisions related to student loan debt.

"We're going to work very, very hard to get it fixed. We're going to start with 43 million people in the United States are currently working to pay off student loans, and we'll be talking very soon," Trump said.

At one point, he joked: "I've always been very good with loans. I love loans. I love other people's money."

The executive order directs the Department of Education to publish more information about graduates' income and debt levels, aimed at making it easier for students to choose which colleges might be best for them based on the value of the program. This data is already available on the government's College Scorecard website, but the order directs the department to add information on specific degree and certificate programs to the school-level data.

The order also directs the department to come up with policy proposals that would hold colleges accountable for student outcomes.

It comes on the heels of an announcement Monday by the White House that urged Congress to include a cap on student loan borrowing as lawmakers consider updating the Higher Education Act. The proposal suggests limiting how much the parents of undergraduates and graduate students can borrow from the federal government. Currently, they can borrow as much as they need -- with the price tag set by schools.

Some research suggests that unlimited borrowing may encourage colleges to drive up the price of tuition. But Sen. Patty Murray, a Washington state Democrat who's the ranking member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, criticized the loan cap proposal. In a statement, she said it would "hurt students" and ignores the fact that most students can't afford college without taking on debt.

The Trump administration has also proposed simplifying student loan repayment and expanding the Pell Grant program to low-income students who are enrolled in short-term career training programs. Those priorities were outlined in Education Secretary Betsy DeVos' fiscal year 2020 budget proposal, released last week.

Over the past two years, the administration has been criticized by Democrats as siding with for-profit colleges over students. Under DeVos, the Department of Education attempted to roll back an Obama-era rule designed to help students cheated by for-profit colleges get relief on their education debt.

After DeVos was sued by attorneys general from 18 states and the District of Columbia, a court ordered her to implement the rule and forgive $150 million in student debt.
FreedomEyeLove

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:41 pm
@neptuneblue,
CNN is your 'source'? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Not like they have an agenda at all!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

FreedomEyeLove

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:43 pm
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:53 pm
It's fighting too many fronts.

On one hand, you have people that want free college for all. Tuition free for anybody who wants it.

I disagree with that. College is a cost of a higher learning experience.

But passing on unnecessary costs such as security for "conservative" speakers that can withhold federal research grants isn't keeping costs down, it's attributing to student debt that may now have a limit placed on it. Just because a stupid speaker thinks they have the "right" to come on campus.

I reject this notion.

All of it.

No to free college. And NO to increased tuition because some idiot wants to cause trouble.

Face it guys, you can't have it both ways. Want "free" tuition? It's coming if WE can't stop the outflow of tuition dollars.

No video or article can top that.
oralloy

Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:57 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
But passing on unnecessary costs such as security for "conservative" speakers that can withhold federal research grants isn't keeping costs down, it's attributing to student debt that may now have a limit placed on it. Just because a stupid speaker thinks they have the "right" to come on campus.

These high security costs come about because leftists think it is OK to use violence when they dislike what someone else has to say.

Start throwing leftists in prison whenever they get violent, and these security costs will drop.