monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 04:44 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
I won't give you a thing for linking to the Huff Post, of course they will take Harris's side.

Um, the reason they "take Harris's side" in this particular instance is because the whole premise of the accusation is specious. There's a link to a video of the incident provided in the article. If you're reading something from a "left-wing" source it's understandable that you would be skeptical; I often feel that way reading links from right-wing sources. But when a link to the video evidence is provided then you're only criticizing the commentary not the facts. The right-wing take on this "incident" is asinine.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 04:53 am
@blatham,
Quote:

The first joke I can recall cracking (great word) and I recall it clearly - was in first grade.

Me too! I'd heard a joke on the radio — it was a common set up but the punchline had been changed. So one day the teacher asks "What's black and white and read all over?" Some girl answers "A newspaper." Kids laugh once they get it. hightor raises his hand and says, "An embarrassed zebra." Only the teacher laughed — hysterically.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 05:11 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
The wall will be built and Trump will coast to victory in 2020. More gnashing of teeth will not prevent the inevitable.
https://therightscoop.com/breaking-trump-will-declare-national-emergency-at-the-same-time-he-signs-budget-bill/

There are other things we could easily do as well as build a wall...

When one of those assholes is deported, they need to tatoo the word "DEPORTED" on one of his wrists. Then, if the asshole is ever caught in the US again, hang him. These stories about US citizens being preyed upon by guys who've been deported ten or twenty times should not be happening.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 05:31 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
]Building the wall via an emergency declaration is hardly contrary to the rule of law.

Seriously? You chose THIS as an answer?? Bypassing Congress for funding isn't how the framework was built. And you know that. Or not. Maybe your "intelligence" isn't much at all...

oralloy wrote:
I think that's pretty unlikely.

We'll see.
oralloy

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 05:54 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
Seriously? You chose THIS as an answer??
I like facts. They've always been good to me.

neptuneblue wrote:
Bypassing Congress for funding isn't how the framework was built. And you know that. Or not.
I don't recall the laws governing national emergencies ever being struck down as unconstitutional.

neptuneblue wrote:
Maybe your "intelligence" isn't much at all...
An IQ of 170 isn't too shabby.
neptuneblue

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 06:10 am
@oralloy,
The FACT is, this isn't an emergency.

No other president has tried to usurp congressional power to declare an emergency for funding they didn't get. Other presidents have been smart.

Only 12 yr olds care about spouting off their IQ score. Every one older than that just doesn't care. Except for you....
oralloy

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 06:29 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
The FACT is, this isn't an emergency.
The President doesn't agree with your assessment.

neptuneblue wrote:
No other president has tried to usurp congressional power to declare an emergency for funding they didn't get. Other presidents have been smart.
Things change. It's a new century and we're going to be doing things differently from now on.

neptuneblue wrote:
Only 12 yr olds care about spouting off their IQ score. Every one older than that just doesn't care. Except for you....
Now hold on here. YOU are the person who started a discussion about my intellect. Don't go pinning that on me.
neptuneblue

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 06:37 am
@oralloy,
Well, the president is stupid, what else is there to say.

For someone who says they care about the rule of law concerning the 2nd amendment, it certainly is a surprise you'd agree it's constitutional to bypass Congress for funding. By the way, it's not.

As for intelligence, there's many posters here I would LOVE to sit down with and pick their brain.
oralloy

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 07:13 am
@neptuneblue,
I'm not familiar enough with the National Emergencies Act to make my own assessment as to whether it is constitutional or not.

It does not seem to have been struck down by the courts so far. However, people are free to launch new legal challenges against the law if they wish to do so.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 08:07 am
Quote:
Two US citizens are suing US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) after they were detained in Montana for speaking Spanish.

Ana Suda and Martha Hernandez were held by a CBP officer last May after he heard them speaking Spanish in a grocery store.

Agent Paul O'Neal questioned the US citizens for about 40 minutes and asked to see identification.

Both believed they were being detained, according to court documents.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) filed the suit on behalf of Ms Suda and Ms Hernandez.

"Speaking Spanish is not against the law," ACLU staff attorney Cody Wofsy wrote in a press release, arguing this CBP action "reflects an out-of-control agency emboldened by a vehemently anti-immigrant administration."

The lawsuit seeks to stop the CBP from detaining anyone without cause for speaking Spanish or for their accent, as well as compensatory and punitive damages.

Ms Suda, who was born in Texas, recorded the original incident on her phone. Ms Hernandez was born in California.

Agent O'Neal says in the footage that he was asking for their identification because they were "speaking Spanish, which is very unheard of up here".

Once the incident went public the agency said it was "committed to treating everyone with professionalism, dignity and respect".

The CBP's nondiscrimination policy prohibits using racial and ethnic stereotypes to conduct stops or searches, but the language over how agents decide to question people is vague.

Census data says about 41 million people speak Spanish at home in the US.

The country is the second largest Spanish-speaking nation in the world, with more Spanish speakers than Spain itself when bilingual people are included.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47249977
gungasnake

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 10:00 am
https://www.dumbenergy.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_uaQp42-4AIVQCmtBh1k9wAnEAEYASAAEgKqevD_BwE

Wid, solar, "renewables(TM)" = stupidity
0 Replies

gungasnake

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 10:03 am
Quote:
Ana Suda and Martha Hernandez were held by a CBP officer last May after he heard them speaking Spanish in a grocery store.

Mighta been telling a racist joke in Spanish....

"..an den he point de peestol at de leetle burro....."

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 10:13 am
@izzythepush,
So the best negotiator in the world, failed to close a deal with a divided Congress that included money for his long-promised wall.
And it is official now: US taxpayers, not Mexico, will be paying for Trump's wall.
izzythepush

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 10:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Not only that it's to be taken from other allocated funds, chiefly Defence. Now's the time for any wannabe terrorists to attack American interests.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 10:51 am
@izzythepush,
If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 11:03 am
As Will Saletan put it...
Quote:
"America is a failed state and Trump is its warlord"

Over-stated? Lou Dobbs wants an investigation of Chief Justice Roberts because he is operating as a liberal.
Quote:
LOU DOBBS (HOST): Let's ask ourselves -- this is a man running the organization, the top law enforcement agency in the country, the Department of Justice working with him, and he just creates out of whole cloth this ridiculous narrative, talking about the president's integrity and colluding with Russia without a damn bit of evidence of any kind at any quarter. The only, only unlawful act, acts in this thing -- have revealed -- has been revealed to be the acts of the investigators. These corrupt excuses for public servants sitting on the most -- two of the most of prestigious organizations in our government.

JAMES FREEMAN: And I'd like to hear from the FISA judges, because I don't think many Americans had any idea how easy it would be for an administration to turn the surveillance powers of the government which we thought were intended to go after terrorists and bad guys, not an opposition political party --

DOBBS: It turns out that Chief Justice John Roberts, who is in charge of the FISA courts, is, after all, a liberal -- and has now -- well, he has now acknowledged as such. This is -- it looks like partisan work that reaches even to the Supreme Court.

FREEMAN: I blame John Roberts for a lot. I don't know if this one we can hang on him, because I think --

DOBBS: Oh, I don't blame --

FREEMAN: -- I think it's very possible, when we get the full story, that those judges were misled.

DOBBS: I'm going to hang -- oh, I don't think there is any doubt. But this is a chief justice who put all left-wing judges into those FISA courts. It looks like a complicity that goes beyond. And only for the sake of appearances should, at the very least, no chief justice put all liberals onto any court.

FREEMAN: I'm for courts that are not all liberals, I'll agree with that.

DOBBS: Okay, and you want to give the good chief justice a pass?

FREEMAN: On this, I'm not -- I don't think he's the villain in this -- in this particular story.

DOBBS: Oh, I don't think he's -- I'm not suggesting he is the --

FREEMAN: I blame him for going south on Obamacare --

DOBBS: Let me be very clear, i'm not suggesting he's the villain -- he's one of, I think, many suspects that should be investigated thoroughly by William Barr. Do you not agree?

FREEMAN: I agree that we need to know what happened here. We need to understand how two years later we are still waiting for collusion evidence.

DOBBS: You know, that's a nice journalistic outlook, but as a citizen don't you think we ought to investigate and bring to justice every one of those S.O.B's who sat at the top of the Department of Justice and the FBI, and tried to usurp the Constitution, abused their power, and tried to depose a lawfully elected president?

FREEMAN: Yes.

DOBBS: There we go.
MM

And then there's Hannity:
Quote:
Sean Hannity wants new Attorney General William Barr to prioritize investigating Trump's enemies
Hannity's enemies list features a slew of Obama-era officials, including Hillary Clinton
MM

0 Replies

blatham

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 11:20 am
Quote:
In July, 2017, North Korea test fired an intercontinental ballistic missile. President Trump initially dismissed intelligence reports of the launch as a “hoax,” according to former FBI Director Andrew McCabe. Trump often refuses to accept intelligence findings, but in this case, his reasons were … interesting.

“He thought that North Korea did not have the capability to launch such missiles,” McCabe writes. “He said he knew this because Vladimir Putin had told him so.”

Trump has met repeatedly with Putin in unusually secretive circumstances, barring other American officials from attending and leaving no recording of the discussion. Putin has apparently influenced Trump’s thinking on North Korea in other ways. Last year, the Wall Street Journal reported, as an aside within a somewhat light story about how to persuade Trump, that Trump wanted to halt joint military exercises with South Korea because Putin had suggested it.
Jon Chait
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 11:25 am
Quote:
There's always a tweet.

In 2014, President Donald Trump railed against then President Barack Obama over his use of executive power on immigration. Fast forward five years and Trump is expected to do the same thing.

"Repubs must not allow Pres Obama to subvert the Constitution of the US for his own benefit & because he is unable to negotiate w/ Congress," Trump said in a tweet on Nov. 20, 2014.
Benen
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 11:37 am
More Trump as warlord news
Quote:
In January, two-thirds of Americans -- including more than a quarter of Trump's own party -- expressed opposition to a national emergency declaration in Quinnipiac University polling.

A CNN poll earlier this month had a similar result. A Fox News poll released Wednesday showed slightly more support for a national emergency declaration, but nearly 1 in 5 of those who voted for Trump in 2016 opposed his taking this action. Overall, support for the move in the Fox poll was similar to a poll the network conducted in January.

A Post-ABC News poll released in January makes another point clear: Opposition to using a national emergency to build the wall is actually higher than opposition to the wall in general.
Benen

Neither Trump nor most of the Republican party give a damn about what citizens actually want. That's true here, it's true regarding access to abortion, it's true regarding treatment of immigrants held at the border, it's true regarding access to medical insurance, it's true regarding gun restrictions, it's true regarding taxation of the very wealthy, it's true regarding a broad range of policy questions.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 11:43 am
@blatham,
Trump claims that you can’t smuggle drugs at ports of entry, which would likely surprise the Border Patrol
Quote:
[...]
“A big majority of the big drugs, the big drugloads don’t go through ports of entry,” Trump said. “They can’t go through ports of entry. You can’t take big loads because you have people. We have some very capable people, the Border Patrol, law enforcement, looking.”

“You can’t take human traffick-- women and girls, you can’t them through ports of entry, you can’t have them tied up in the back seat of a car or a truck or a van,” he continued. Border agents “open the door. They look. They can’t see three women with tape on their mouth or three women whose hands are tied? They go through areas where you have no wall."

“Everybody knows that,” he concluded, singling out House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.). "Nancy knows it. Chuck knows it. They all know it. It’s all a big lie. It’s a big con game.”

This is, to put it bluntly, nonsense.
... ... ...