monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 06:36 am
@blatham,
Your entire beloved democrat party including St. Hillary is slagging Northam. I seem to be on their side, while you approve the race-baiter. Interesting look for you.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 06:40 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
I trust he earned that nickname.

I don't know what "earning" such a name would imply. It would seem to me that, in the guy's career of public service, that if he were acting as a racist there would be more examples than this stuff dug up from the past and the alleged "refusal" to shake the hand of a debate opponent — from the video it doesn't look as if he even knew the guy's hand was being offered. Yet the media descriptions would make it seem as if he flat out refused rather than the simple explanation that his attention was directed at the host at the time. I think he's getting this treatment because of the abortion controversy and I'm not piling on without a much better reason to conclude that he's a "racist".

You are definitely entitled to this opinion, but you are quite distinctly alone in MSM with it. I thought MSM were your chums. Maybe you just have a much lower bar for bigots. Anyway, to each his own.

Hightor sides with Coonman. Check.
neptuneblue

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 06:44 am
Sorry, Republicans. You can’t call out Northam for racism and give Trump a pass.
That’s hypocrisy, full stop.

By Tom Nichols

Tom Nichols is a professor at the Harvard Extension School. He is the author of “The Death of Expertise: The Campaign Against Established Knowledge and Why it Matters.”

Finally, the GOP is calling out a chief executive for his appalling insensitivity on an issue of race: Saturday, via Twitter, Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), the highest-ranking Republican in the House of Representatives, decried that chief executive’s “past racist behavior” and said “He should resign.” In two tweets posted on Saturday, Republican Party chair Ronna McDaniel listed off what she sees as that same chief executive’s callousness on race, including, apparently, his appearance, in a photo, 35 years ago, in which one person is in blackface and the other is wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood. The conduct that these Republicans denounced clearly deserves condemnation, no matter how or when it occurred.

Unfortunately, they’ve reserved their scorn for one chief executive, Virginia’s Gov. Ralph Northam, a Democrat, and held back when it comes to criticizing a chief executive from their own party, President Trump, for his racially divisive statements and public positions. That is naked hypocrisy.

Northam, without doubt, brought this criticism on himself: Friday he released a statement apologizing for appearing, in a 1984 medical school yearbook photo, “in a costume that is clearly racist and offensive,” saying, “I am deeply sorry for the decision I made.” Then on Saturday, he went before live cameras to say, “I believe then, and now, that I am not either of the people,” in the photo in question. A risible, flimsy explanation, unacceptable for anyone, let alone the governor of a state.

Republicans, sensing a relatively rare moment when, for once, the other party had to own a race-relations debacle, joined Democrats in calling for Northam’s ouster. In addition to McCarthy and McDaniel, Virginia GOP chair Jack Wilson called on Northam to step down, saying the governor has “lost the moral ability” to lead. Ever since Election Day 2016, when Trump’s supporters promised he wouldn’t be as awful as his critics — including me — warned he would be, Republicans have longed for a moment when they could at least pretend to gain the high moral ground.

But while Democrats, and decent people everywhere, have a right to demand that Northam step down, Republicans who continue to support a party dominated by Trump can’t be taken seriously on this point.

Trump’s record on race issues is abysmal. For years, he fueled birtherism to attack President Barack Obama. He once argued that a federal judge, Gonzalo Curiel, couldn’t be impartial in a case involving Trump because, as Trump said, “He’s a Mexican. We’re building a wall between here and Mexico.” Early in his presidential candidacy, Trump called for a “total and complete ban on Muslims entering the country.” In office, he ruminated on America needing more immigrants from places such as Norway and fewer immigrants from “shithole” countries, referencing Haiti, El Salvador and African countries.

Despite polls taken at various times during his presidency which show that significant percentages of Americans either see Trump as racist or, at a minimum, someone who has “emboldened” racists, the president still enjoys the support of members of his party in Congress and 78 percent approval among Republicans in the latest Washington Post/ABC News poll. For the most part, the party has indulged his race-baiting comments and his crude handling of racial issues. But somehow party leaders, who stand firmly behind him, and a national party which just passed a resolution expressing “undivided support” for him, seems to have no qualms about calling out Northam.

How Northam got all the way to the Virginia statehouse without the yearbook photo being discovered will wind up as a case study in future training for political opposition researchers and for reporters. Regardless of how it happened, it’s fair to view his inconsistent statements and conclude that he never thought he would have to explain any of this until after it became public. That disingenuousness is damning in itself, and if the voters and elected leaders of Virginia decide that this episode disqualifies him from serving honorably in office — it appears they do — that’s their choice. (I happen to agree with them.)

Democrats don’t have completely clean hands on race issues; if nothing else, the Northam episode illustrates that. But when commentators such as David Limbaugh ask if Trump supporters must “forfeit the right to pass any moral judgments” because of their continual excuse-making for him, the only reply is: yes. Criticizing Northam for “past racist behavior” and his present equivocation after more than two years of overlooking an astonishing record of divisiveness reflects little more than a self-serving, morally repellent double standard. There are plenty of good arguments for kicking Northam out of his job. The newfound racial piety of a party that sold its soul to Trump isn’t one of them.
Setanta

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 08:23 am
Oops . . . perhaps Hightor is not alone in the so-called MSM. Since when is Hightor a part of the so-called "mainstream media?" Lash, the alleged progressive, strikes again.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Setanta

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 08:32 am
@blatham,
Don't use words like oeuvre when talking about our progressive honeybunch--she don't speak no French. That is so unfair.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 08:44 am
@Setanta,
L'œuvre récompense la maîtrisse.
hightor

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 08:45 am
@Lash,
Lash, I don't believe I have to jump on this MSM bandwagon. I think the rush to get out in front and condemn the guy is party politics, pure and simple. Dems think this shows solidarity with black voters, Republicans are acting like gleeful hypocrites. I haven't learned of any facts that would suggest that Northam has shown himself to be a racial bigot. If and when I do, I will change my opinion but not until then. I'm not a politician and I don't have to take positions to shore up any base of support. I shall continue to withhold judgment until all the facts are in and the media **** storm has died down.
Quote:
I thought MSM were your chums.

Well, good to have that cleared up.
Quote:

Hightor sides with Coonman.

This is so unnecessary. I chose to give Northam (not "Coonman") the benefit of the doubt after the right-wingers went after him for his remarks about the abortion bill.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 08:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
In which case Lash will suffer as did 800,000 Federal employees thanks to her president, President Plump. No payday for Lash!
0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 09:32 am
@neptuneblue,
Agreed.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 09:54 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Quote:
What was his nickname in the yearbook? Coonchucker?

One account I've seen claimed that those guys were into taking names from the old Amos/Andy program, e.g. "Amos", "Andy", "Kingfish", "Calhoun", "Lightnin" et. al.

Says the adolescent who calls the former President "Obunga".
izzythepush

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 10:47 am
Quote:
Friends and relatives of inmates stuck in cells without power or heat at a prison in New York have held a protest against their detention conditions.

Protesters outside the Metropolitan Detention Center, a federal facility in Brooklyn, chanted: "Where is the heat"?

Many inmates have not been able to contact the outside world for days, following a partial power failure.

Members of Congress who visited the prison on Saturday described the situation there as a "nightmare".

"It is like living in a closet without lights," said Representative Nydia Velázquez, a Democrat whose district includes the prison.

She said temperatures in some cells were as low as 49 F (9.5C).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47107326
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 12:08 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Says the adolescent who calls the former President "Obunga".

At least he says something, you add nothing.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 12:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
L'œuvre récompense la maîtrisse.

What is the French for "put a sock in it"?
coldjoint

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 12:46 pm
Some people here enjoy gossip, I won't mention any names.
Quote:
Jussie Smollett: Update on a LYING HOLLYWOOD SCUMBAG

Quote:
It should be pretty clear to all who followed this story, that Jussie Smollett is just another lying Hollywood scumbag.

He’s just an anti-American, anti-Trump run of the mill Hollywood racist.

https://theblacksphere.net/2019/02/jussie-smollett-update-on-a-lying-hollywood-scumbag/
Sometimes gossip is true, this is one of those times.
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 12:48 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
Sorry, Republicans. You can’t call out Northam for racism and give Trump a pass.
That’s hypocrisy, full stop.

By Tom Nichols

Tom Nichols is a professor at the Harvard Extension School. He is the author of “The Death of Expertise: The Campaign Against Established Knowledge and Why it Matters.”

Finally, the GOP is calling out a chief executive for his appalling insensitivity on an issue of race: Saturday, via Twitter, Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), the highest-ranking Republican in the House of Representatives, decried that chief executive’s “past racist behavior” and said “He should resign.” In two tweets posted on Saturday, Republican Party chair Ronna McDaniel listed off what she sees as that same chief executive’s callousness on race, including, apparently, his appearance, in a photo, 35 years ago, in which one person is in blackface and the other is wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood. The conduct that these Republicans denounced clearly deserves condemnation, no matter how or when it occurred.

Unfortunately, they’ve reserved their scorn for one chief executive, Virginia’s Gov. Ralph Northam, a Democrat, and held back when it comes to criticizing a chief executive from their own party, President Trump, for his racially divisive statements and public positions. That is naked hypocrisy.

Northam, without doubt, brought this criticism on himself: Friday he released a statement apologizing for appearing, in a 1984 medical school yearbook photo, “in a costume that is clearly racist and offensive,” saying, “I am deeply sorry for the decision I made.” Then on Saturday, he went before live cameras to say, “I believe then, and now, that I am not either of the people,” in the photo in question. A risible, flimsy explanation, unacceptable for anyone, let alone the governor of a state.

Republicans, sensing a relatively rare moment when, for once, the other party had to own a race-relations debacle, joined (Democrats) in calling for Northam’s ouster. In addition to McCarthy and McDaniel, Virginia GOP chair Jack Wilson called on Northam to step down, saying the governor has “lost the moral ability” to lead. Ever since Election Day 2016, when Trump’s supporters promised he wouldn’t be as awful as his critics — including me — warned he would be, Republicans have longed for a moment when they could at least pretend to gain the high moral ground.

But while Democrats, and decent people everywhere, have a right to demand that Northam step down, Republicans who continue to support a party dominated by Trump can’t be taken seriously on this point.

Trump’s record on race issues is abysmal. For years, he fueled birtherism to attack President Barack Obama. He once argued that a federal judge, Gonzalo Curiel, couldn’t be impartial in a case involving Trump because, as Trump said, “He’s a Mexican. We’re building a wall between here and Mexico.” Early in his presidential candidacy, Trump called for a “total and complete ban on Muslims entering the country.” In office, he ruminated on America needing more immigrants from places such as Norway and fewer immigrants from “shithole” countries, referencing Haiti, El Salvador and African countries.

Despite polls taken at various times during his presidency which show that significant percentages of Americans either see Trump as racist or, at a minimum, someone who has “emboldened” racists, the president still enjoys the support of members of his party in Congress and 78 percent approval among Republicans in the latest Washington Post/ABC News poll. For the most part, the party has indulged his race-baiting comments and his crude handling of racial issues. But somehow party leaders, who stand firmly behind him, and a national party which just passed a resolution expressing “undivided support” for him, seems to have no qualms about calling out Northam.

How Northam got all the way to the Virginia statehouse without the yearbook photo being discovered will wind up as a case study in future training for political opposition researchers and for reporters. Regardless of how it happened, it’s fair to view his inconsistent statements and conclude that he never thought he would have to explain any of this until after it became public. That disingenuousness is damning in itself, and if the voters and elected leaders of Virginia decide that this episode disqualifies him from serving honorably in office — it appears they do — that’s their choice. (I happen to agree with them.)

Democrats don’t have completely clean hands on race issues; if nothing else, the Northam episode illustrates that. But when commentators such as David Limbaugh ask if Trump supporters must “forfeit the right to pass any moral judgments” because of their continual excuse-making for him, the only reply is: yes. Criticizing Northam for “past racist behavior” and his present equivocation after more than two years of overlooking an astonishing record of divisiveness reflects little more than a self-serving, morally repellent double standard. There are plenty of good arguments for kicking Northam out of his job. The newfound racial piety of a party that sold its soul to Trump isn’t one of them.

Neptuneblue, I thank you for posting the above article. I want to add some of my own personal comments:

We can only hope that the republican party will follow the lead of the democrats, by condemning and asking Donald Trump to resign.
The democratic party and the democratic leaders are telling Northam to resign. Okay republicans, it's time for your party to follow the lead of the democratic party by telling Donald Trump to resign.
I guess we will finally see elected republican leaders across the nation tripping over each other trying to be the first to tell Donald Trump to resign.
The democrats are telling Northam to resign. Now, the time is long over-do for the republican party to tell Donald Trump to resign.
coldjoint

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 01:01 pm
Quote:

Covington Lawyers Send Legal Notices to Over 50 Media Orgs, Politicians and Celebrities

Makes my day.
Quote:
The list of potential lawsuits includes presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren, the New York Times, CNN, Maggie Haberman, Savannah Guthrie, Rep. Ilhan Omar, and many many more. Preservation letters were sent out on Friday.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/02/covington-lawyers-send-legal-notices-to-over-50-media-orgs-politicians-and-celebrities/
coldjoint

Sun 3 Feb, 2019 01:05 pm
Quote:
Totalitarianism: Buying A Hammer Now Makes You A Terrorist In The UK

Quote:
If you need a hammer for any reason, the United Kingdom’s counter-terrorism policing unit will consider you a potential terrorist. They are also asking that anyone who sees someone doing something suspicious, like purchasing a hammer, to report it to the enforcers.

Who thinks anyone from this country has any brains or backbone at all?
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-02-01/totalitarianism-buying-hammer-now-makes-you-terrorist-uk
0 Replies