monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 03:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Quote:
Which is why I have to say right now — in fear of God knows what — that I cannot see the tiniest chance of Elizabeth Warren winning the presidency,
Andrew's certainty on this question isn't worth much given the man who is now in the WH and predictions made about this same question. That is, predictions by everybody including Trump himself.

Quote:
for the same reasons as Mondale, Dukakis, Gore, Kerry, and Hillary.
The last three of these candidates won the popular vote. Gore and Hillary both were mere inches from winning. Sullivan is attempting to draw a black/white framing here in aid of his thesis on "electability" as if this is some obvious and undeniable political factor available to all. (And let's note that it avoids the rather important point that "electability" says nothing at all about the capabilities of such an individual to be effective once elected - thus about whether his/her tenure will help or hurt the Dems and the country).

Quote:
If the Dems want to put their huffy principles above their need to win elections, they’re welcome to.
Frankly, I don't know what the **** he's talking about here. I suppose the implication is that ends justify means with the standard attending blindness on how means always alter the ends. Does he want Dems to engage in voter suppression, gerrymandering, purposefully stacking the courts, constant misinformation campaigns, etc?

Quote:
Just don’t call everyone who actually wants them to win a misogynist, okay?
False dilemma. For **** sake, Andrew.
Setanta

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 04:12 pm
@hightor,
Many years ago, while reading more deeply into American history, I was often dismayed by the evidence of a deeply ingrained racism in our society. Many years after, I saw the evidence that it is the same in other cultures. That did not lessen my dismay. For example, I have always admired Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., our 26th president. I never thought I'd like him personally, but I admired his performance in office--that is, until in a fit of pique against Taft, he ran as a third candidate in 1912, and thereby handed the White House to Woodrow Wilson, who was without any doubt a confirmed racist of the Lilly White variety.

But then I read a biography of Margaret Sanger, which alleged that Roosevelt had described her as a race traitor. I was able to confirm this at a university library by reading earlier biographies of Roosevelt in which the authors had no qualms about repeating his remark. Roosevelt thoroughly embraced the concept of "the White Man's burden" (see the poem by Kipling). To Roosevelt, Sanger was a race traitor for promoting birth control--when as far as he was concerned, the world needed as many white babies as possible so that they could one day grow up and regulate the lives of the muddle-headed brown and yellow and black babies.
coldjoint

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 04:24 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
To Roosevelt, Sanger was a race traitor for promoting birth control--when as far as he was concerned, the world needed as many white babies as possible so that they could one day grow up and regulate the lives of the muddle-headed brown and yellow and black babies.

So was Sannger's attempt to eradicate the Negro race somehow better?
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 04:46 pm
@Setanta,
It's a tad horrifying to realize that one could, almost certainly, make a ton of money with a plea to the religious right in the US for donations to a new godly start-up enterprise dedicated to the the laboratory production of millions and millions of caucasian babies.
coldjoint

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 04:56 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
production of millions and millions of caucasian babies.

So all religious people are racists, and you are temporarily out of spam. Next.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 05:37 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
If the Dems want to put their huffy principles above their need to win elections, they’re welcome to.
Frankly, I don't know what the **** he's talking about here.

I think it's something the left in the US really needs to wrap their heads around. I totally get what he's saying.

I wouldn't discount his analysis so lightly.
ehBeth

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 06:49 pm
Axios:

Quote:
JUST IN: The Washington Post is reporting that Trump has repeatedly sought to conceal the details of his face-to-face conversations with Vladimir Putin from members of his own administration, going as far as to confiscate notes from his own interpreter.

truly a time to miss MerryAndrew. I'd love to get his take on this as a former govt interpreter.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 06:52 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

What huffy principles? What are those principles, you must know since you totally get him. I have asked about values too and never get an answer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 06:55 pm
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2018/12/11/america-is-friendlier-to-foreigners-than-headlines-suggest

Quote:
Moreover, Americans seem to be growing friendlier to foreigners. This year Gallup reported that a record 75% of them think that immigration is good for the country, up from 66% in 2012. On the pollster’s migration acceptance index, which measures how comfortable people are with foreign neighbours or in-laws, America ranks ninth in the world.
Builder

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 07:10 pm
Interesting timing, for this bill.

Quote:
H.R.25 - To promote freedom, fairness, and economic opportunity by repealing the income tax and other taxes, abolishing the Internal Revenue Service, and enacting a national sales tax to be administered primarily by the States.

source

When Australia got the GST (sales tax 10%) it was supposed to abolish income tax.

We got screwed on that one.

Even had to fight the gov in court to get rid of certain "luxury" taxes, like the one on flavoured milk.

0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 07:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
up from 66% in 2012.

Your propaganda was working like a charm until Trump came along. And remember these are legal immigrants. That is very important.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 07:29 pm
Families of Sandy Hook shooting victims win legal victory in lawsuit against InfoWars, Alex Jones
By AARON KATERSKY Jan 11, 2019, 2:49 PM ET

Six families of victims killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School won a legal victory Friday in their fight against controversial radio and internet personality Alex Jones.

A judge in Connecticut has granted the families’ discovery requests, allowing them access to, among other things, Infowars’ internal marketing and financial documents.

The judge has scheduled a hearing next week to decide whether to allow the plaintiffs’ attorneys to depose Jones.

The plaintiffs include the parents of five children who went to the school as well as family members of first-grade teacher Victoria Leigh Soto and Principal Dawn Hochsprung, according to a statement from the plaintiff's attorneys.

According to the statement, the plaintiffs allege a "years-long campaign of abusive and outrageous false statements in which Jones and the other defendants have developed, amplified and perpetuated claims that the Sandy Hook massacre was staged and that the 26 families who lost loved ones that day are paid actors who faked their relative's deaths."

It goes on to say that "Jones' actions subjected the families and survivors of the Sandy Hook shooting to physical confrontations and harassment, death threats and personal attacks on social media."

"From the beginning, we have alleged that Alex Jones and his financial network trafficked in lies and hate in order to profit from the grief of Sandy Hook families. That is what we intend to prove, and today's ruling advances that effort," Chris Mattei, one of the attorneys representing the families, said in the statement. "We look forward to gaining access to Infowars' internal marketing and financial documents to show that Jones has built an empire as nothing more than a conspiracy profiteer, as alleged in our complaint."

Jones has sought to dismiss the lawsuit.

"Plaintiffs suffered a horrible tragedy," his defense attorney, Jay M. Wolman, wrote in a motion to dismiss the lawsuit. "Alex Jones and Infowars are not responsible for this tragedy. To punish them for First Amendment protected speech on this matter of public concern will not bring back the lives lost."

Wolman did not immediately respond to ABC News' requests for comment.

The judge’s ruling on discovery gives the plaintiffs access to any communication Jones had about the Newtown massacre and to documents that could point to the inner workings of Infowars.

Builder

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 07:38 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
The judge’s ruling on discovery gives the plaintiffs access to any communication Jones had about the Newtown massacre and to documents that could point to the inner workings of Infowars.

Interesting. Jones is a disinfo agent.
0 Replies

livinglava

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 08:47 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Many years ago, while reading more deeply into American history, I was often dismayed by the evidence of a deeply ingrained racism in our society. Many years after, I saw the evidence that it is the same in other cultures. That did not lessen my dismay. For example, I have always admired Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., our 26th president. I never thought I'd like him personally, but I admired his performance in office--that is, until in a fit of pique against Taft, he ran as a third candidate in 1912, and thereby handed the White House to Woodrow Wilson, who was without any doubt a confirmed racist of the Lilly White variety.

But then I read a biography of Margaret Sanger, which alleged that Roosevelt had described her as a race traitor. I was able to confirm this at a university library by reading earlier biographies of Roosevelt in which the authors had no qualms about repeating his remark. Roosevelt thoroughly embraced the concept of "the White Man's burden" (see the poem by Kipling). To Roosevelt, Sanger was a race traitor for promoting birth control--when as far as he was concerned, the world needed as many white babies as possible so that they could one day grow up and regulate the lives of the muddle-headed brown and yellow and black babies.

You're never going to find any shortage of racism and other forms of collectivism, because that is how simplistic minds work. People look at a cloud and think about it as a cloud and not as a system of countless individual water molecules interacting with each other.

It takes a rigorous, intelligent mind to critically reflect on the assumption of group unity, homogeneity, and so forth. People long for a simpler world view for the sake of mental expedience and racism, like nationalism, sexism, etc. gives them that false-yet-comforting clarity. It is so comforting that they fight against the prospect of having to acknowledge that there are individuals with individual lives that make up what they perceive as the 'race,' nation,' or other collective.

The idea of needing more or less babies of any category based on categorical assumptions is in itself a departure from individualism. Fortunately, we now have the concept of culture as a way of understanding collective behaviors and identities as being an interface between humans and their collective perceptions of each other, but even culture has become racialized and collectivized by the same mindset that reduces individuals to races for the sake of simplicity and clarity, however false.

Still, once we start focusing on the individual level, we still see that individuals are subject to certain cultural factors more than others not because of something inherent or genetic about their bodies, but because of how they are socially situated. E.g. we can't assume that poor people will want access to high intellectual achievement when given the opportunity even though there is nothing biological preventing them from striving to focus their minds and make the necessary sacrifices. They might just develop different priorities based on enculturated perceptions of what's meaningful and important vs. what isn't, and to them having access to cultural wealth historically reserved for those allowed in 'the Ivory Tower,' isn't important as having access to the social status, money, and other privileges that come as fringe benefits to being an academic intellectual.

So, yes, racism is disappointing as are other forms of collectivist thinking/projection, including nationalism, but the question is whether you can imagine one nation, class, race, ethnic-region, or other category as being less collectivist/racist without automatically applying the very collective/racist gaze you're trying to be critical of.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 10:50 pm
More reality.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 11:12 pm
The gigantic scale of British interference in US politics and elections...

http://www.bearfabrique.org/integrityinitiative.pdf
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 11:55 pm
US Ambassador Richard Grenell threatens German firms over Russian pipeline
Quote:
German companies building the Nord Stream 2 pipeline between Germany and Russia received letters from US Ambassador Richard Grenell warning them of "a significant risk of sanctions" if they did not pull out of the project, Germany's mass-circulation Bild am Sonntag has reported.
[...]
In the letter cited by Bild am Sonntag, Grenell wrote that the pipeline would make Europe dependent on Moscow and increase the threat of Russian interventions.

"We emphasize that companies involved in Russian energy exports are taking part in something that could prompt a significant risk of sanctions," the ambassador wrote.

The paper also quoted a Grenell spokesman who said that the letter should not be seen as a threat, but as a "clear message of US policy."
roger

Sun 13 Jan, 2019 01:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Walter Hinteler wrote:

The paper also quoted a Grenell spokesman who said that the letter should not be seen as a threat, but as a "clear message of US policy."

[/quote]

Sounds like a threat to me. I do agree this would make Germany vulnerable, but it seems a reprehensible thing to do to an ally. If he hadn't included the threat, I think the message would have represented a useful opinion.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 13 Jan, 2019 03:39 am
@roger,
Since taking office, US Ambassador Richard Grenell has disregarded international practice, diplomatic traditions and interfered in the internal affairs of his host country. A kind of mini-Trump he is.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 13 Jan, 2019 04:18 am
Quote:
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says he is optimistic an agreement can be reached with Turkey to protect Kurdish fighters in Syria after the US leaves.

He was speaking in the United Arab Emirates following a phone call with his Turkish counterpart.

US forces in northern Syria have fought alongside a Kurdish militia against Islamic State (IS) militants.

Turkey, however, regards the People's Protection Units (YPG) as a terrorist group and has vowed to crush it.

Mr Pompeo is touring the Middle East to try to reassure allies following President Donald Trump's abrupt announcement last month that US forces would withdraw from Syria.

Talking to reporters in Abu Dhabi, Mr Pompeo said the US recognised "the Turkish people's right and [Turkish President Recep Tayyip] Erdogan's right to defend their country from terrorists".

"We also know that those fighting alongside us for all this time deserve to be protected as well," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46853979

Pompeo gets more like Chamberlain every day.
0 Replies