monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

gungasnake

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 03:12 am
Leaked Transcripts of Lisa Page’s Closed-Door Testimonies Reveal Obama DOJ Refused to Pursue ‘Gross-Negligence’ Charges Against Hillary; Obama Spy John Brennan Aware of Phony Dossier Early August 2016, Tipped-Off Democrat Harry Reid AND MORE

https://www.theepochtimes.com/transcripts-of-lisa-pages-closed-door-testimonies-provide-new-revelations_2763452.html
0 Replies

gungasnake

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 03:14 am
@coldjoint,
We need two walls. I do not want anybody dopey enougbh to vote for Justin Trudeau just waltzing in here either.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 03:37 am
@nimh,
Quote:
If you go back far enough it shouldn't be hard to find one, though.. Lots of ugly history in US immigration restrictions.

I think what I can safely say is that I can't recall any other major presidential candidate expressing similar sentiments in the modern era. There!
hightor

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 05:03 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
That from a Leftist Christian organization, do you agree with that too.?

If you think I automatically endorse anything with a "left" label on it you're wrong. The people who characterize themselves as the "Christian Left" have a lot more faith in humanity than I can muster.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 05:06 am
Down the Rabbit Hole With Donald

Quote:
If you had to pick the weirdest moment of the week, would it be:

The Coast Guard tries to buck up its unpaid civilian employees by suggesting they consider becoming dog walkers or giving music lessons.

In order to dramatize the dangers of life without a Mexico wall, Donald Trump goes to visit a Texas border city that just had its lowest crime rate in 34 years.

The president rebuts critics who say walling off a country is sort of medieval by pointing out that all cars have wheels and “a wheel is older than a wall.”

Multitudinous fact checkers point out that a wall is actually older than a wheel.

Feel free to add your own. Whatever you say, I’ll probably believe you. It’s as if we’ve fallen down a rabbit hole and landed in a Wonderland totally devoid of wonder.

Even if you really, really want Donald Trump to be a total failure hurtling his way back toward civilian life, it’s not comforting to have a president who’s so out to lunch. Just think about that trip to Texas. McAllen, the city Trump chose to demonstrate the terror of wall-free borders, was recently listed by U.S. News & World Report as one of the best places to retire in the nation. But the president, who was making only his second trip to the border since he took office, assured the public he knew how terrible things are because “I have been there numerous times.”

And that was just one tiny piece of his week! The big news, of course, was our catapult toward an all-time government shutdown record.

Pop quiz: When Trump was invited to comment on the pain of the unpaid government workers, did he say:

A) That it’s better than being killed by an illegal immigrant.

B) That a lot of them think it’s worth missing their salaries to get a wall.

C) That he, too, had to suffer by spending the holidays in the White House.

D) All of the above.

O.K., I know that was too easy.

It does feel as if we’ve fallen down a rabbit hole into an alternate universe that is definitely not Wonderland. Just keep telling yourself that it isn’t going to last forever. Soon the presidential primary races will be underway and concerned citizens will have something to talk about besides the Mad Hatter. It looks as if the Democrats are going to have lots of serious policy discussions. And the fact that this week Beto O’Rourke posted videos of himself having his teeth cleaned is just one hint that there will also be plenty of cheering diversion.

Meanwhile, your best options near-term are either to get together with friends and drink heavily, or crawl under your bed and assume a fetal position.

If the floor under the bed looks too dusty, you can always hire a government employee to vacuum.

Just for the sake of perspective, try to imagine how the nation would have responded if Trump’s week had happened under Barack Obama. Obviously Obama didn’t have a yen for border walls. But he was a big proponent of gun regulation — suppose, just for the sake of comparison, he told Congress he wanted billions of dollars to confiscate all the automatic weapons in the country.

Then imagine the opposing party dug in its heels, and Obama announced he was going to veto any spending package that didn’t include his plan. The government shuts down. Then Obama makes a special address to the nation from the Oval Office. “My fellow Americans: Tonight I am speaking to you because there is a growing crisis over guns,” he begins.

No fair pointing out that at least he wouldn’t sound like he was gasping for breath every time he read a sentence off the teleprompter.

By now, in our parallel universe, the nation — which had heard the gun speech several thousand times before — begins to drift away or debate whether his sniffling was from hay fever or nerves. Nobody’s mind gets changed, but the next day congressional leaders try to sit down and work out a compromise that might, say, invest a lot more money to enforce the existing laws. Obama ignores them and demands, “Do all guns go?” When they say no, he slaps the table, walks out the door, and lets the government just … stop. And maybe whines a little bit about how he had to spend Christmas in Washington.

Well, obviously Republicans would be shrieking for Obama’s impeachment. But Trump just goes babbling along. Secure in his conviction that the best way to protect our safety involves stopping the pay for air traffic controllers.

When a reporter asked whether he accepted the old Harry Truman line about how “the buck stops here,” our president responded that “the buck stops with everyone.” He won’t even admit where the buck stops! Do you think that’s because he’s just incapable of accepting responsibility or because he doesn’t know who Harry Truman was?

On the plus side, in the future you can tell your grandchildren that you were there when the government set records for not being open for business. For now, take a federal worker to lunch.

nyt
gungasnake

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 06:27 am
If anybody was meddling in the US election in 2016, it was England and not Russia...

https://larouchepac.com/20190110/part-i-british-role-coup-against-president-now-exposed-will-you-act-now-save-nation
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 06:51 am
The ignorance of these idiots is astounding. England may have a football team but it's not a country in its own right. The country is the United Kingdom, that includes Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Anyone who can't even get the country right isn't going to get anything else right. Putin's lackies really are incredibly dim-witted.
blatham

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 07:23 am
@hightor,
Goddamn. I am in love with this woman.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 07:52 am
@izzythepush,
Hahaa!

England — that's the country where they speak British, right?
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 08:12 am
@hightor,
Depends on what you mean by the modern Era. My favorite was always the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882--it said outright, no pussyfooting around.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 08:14 am
By the way, check out the immigration exclusion acts of 1907, 1917 and 1924. In those days, neither the Congress nor any president was embarrassed by such legislation.
blatham

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 08:38 am
Quote:
When Elizabeth Warren began her presidential campaign last week, and the commentariat tumbled into its collective navel pondering the senator’s “likability,” it infuriated those of us who hoped the political press would improve upon its abysmal performance in the 2016 election.

“The prospect of repetition is grim but, from the early signs, all too likely,” wrote Washington Post media columnist Margaret Sullivan.

The press critic Jay Rosen bemoaned that “after the debacle of 2016, the horse race model and ‘game’ schema that have instructed campaign journalism for at least 40 years are up and running again. It appears the bosses have no better ideas, and no will to develop them.”

Warren, perhaps more than any candidate in the horeserace journalism era, is tailor made for a more substantive model of campaign journalism that doesn’t really exist yet. She lacks the decades of baggage, real and fabricated, that made nitpicking Hillary Clinton’s every statement and decision irresistible catnip for journalists. She has celebrity status within her party, like many presidential candidates do, but she fostered hers not through the power of raw charisma, but with a relentless focus on the way our political economy has screwed regular people. Before she was a senator she built a federal consumer-protection agency from scratch.

The reflexive obsession with her likability, while incorrect on its own terms, looks even stupider against the backdrop of Warren’s career successes, which are, by no coincidence, a perfect match for the growing political consensus that the fleecing of the American middle class has made politics extremely combustible.

Why didn’t we do better? I think the answer lies where so many problems in political journalism lie: with the media’s misbegotten habit of prizing partisan balance over its obligation to faithfully represent political reality to consumers. But there’s a better way to cover presidential politics, and with the failures of 2016 still fresh on everyone’s mind, there’s never been a better time to propose fresh approaches—even ones that challenge old dogmas...
more from Brian Beutler here
snood

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 09:34 am
@blatham,
Great piece
hightor

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 09:36 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
In those days, neither the Congress nor any president was embarrassed by such legislation.

That's not surprising, giving the common attitude at the time, and it's exactly why Trump's blatant racism is so glaring. While racism itself has never gone away, since the sit down strikes and school desegregation in the '50s it's been considered rather gauche to reveal one's intolerance on the public stage, you know, unless you're at a Klan rally.

(By "modern era" I mean post WWII.)
blatham

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 09:39 am
@snood,
Hi snood!
Yeah, it is. Brian Beutler at Crooked is always worth paying attention to. And when you're there, do not miss Pod Save America with former Obama staffers Jon Favreau, Tommy Vietor and Jon Lovett (smart, smart young guys).
0 Replies

gungasnake

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 09:46 am
https://www.mintpressnews.com/the-integrity-initiative-and-the-uks-scandalous-information-war/253014/
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 10:03 am
There seems to be a growing consensus among Republican politicos that Steve King's racism and white-culture-superiority ideas (long held and long voiced) are now politically problematic for them. I have no doubt that this change is the result of polling and focus group testing in tandem with the undeniable electoral losses suffered in November (related to the surging activism of women and minorities).
blatham

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 10:18 am
I watched Vice the other night. Aside from Bale's quite incredible capture of Cheney's physicality and voice, I wasn't much impressed. It's good to be reminded of this recent history but I thought the casting (other than Bale) to be almost uniformly bad. Steve Carell as Rumsfeld, for **** sake. And then there's the directing and the Reader's Digest style sympathetic portrayal of Lynne Cheney and David Addinton. Etc.

Moral of story - if you want to produce a film about a matter this serious and consequential, don't hire the writer/directer responsible for Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, Step Brothers, The Other Guys, and Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues and website Funny or Die.
farmerman

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 10:57 am
@blatham,
maybe Tarrantino??
After listening to the Terry Gross interview on "what really happened with Spiro Agnew" I see a docudrama that could be interesting AND entertaining.
coldjoint

Sat 12 Jan, 2019 11:08 am
@blatham,
Quote:
related to the surging activism of women and minorities

That surging activism is the money surging from the Lefts wallets instigating trouble by division and outright lies. Turning Mexicans(Latinos) against blacks and women against men so whatever misery that arises can be blamed on Trump or his party.

Miserable people made miserable by what they are told to believe and never question. That is Left, no original ideas, just grievance and victim hood.