monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Blickers

Mon 12 Nov, 2018 10:05 am
@Builder,
Quote Builder:
Quote:
since it was you who claimed that 80 leaders attended, when the official story says 60.

Don't have a list; do you Walter?

Just a random guess?

Irrelevant, as usual. There were only 60 actual countries at the end of WWI anyway.

I'd ask if you had a point with all this, but by now we all know your point is spout accusations while you find some reason to push Russian talking points.
Blickers

Mon 12 Nov, 2018 10:16 am
@hightor,
Quote hightor:
Quote:
It is, then, understandable that the authors seek to mend America’s broken institutions by making it easier for legislators to shut the people out—at least a little bit, from time to time. Making it harder for activists to launch primary challenges against incumbents in safe districts, for instance, really would make it easier for Congress to fulfill its constitutional duty of checking an errant executive.

So the authors of this book think political parties should be even more instutionalized than they are now? Political parties are not even mentioned in the Constitution.
livinglava

Mon 12 Nov, 2018 10:39 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

So the authors of this book think political parties should be even more instutionalized than they are now? Political parties are not even mentioned in the Constitution.

Madison saw in political parties the tendency to factionalize:
Quote:
Moreover, Madison feared the formation of a certain kind of faction. Recognizing that the country's wealthiest property owners formed a minority and that the country's unpropertied classes formed a majority, Madison feared that the unpropertied classes would come together to form a majority faction that gained control of the government. Against "the minor party," there could emerge "an interested and overbearing majority," Madison warns (Dawson 1863, p. 55-56). Specifically, Madison feared that the unpropertied classes would use their majority power to implement a variety of measures that redistributed wealth. There could be "a rage for paper money, for an abolition of debts, for an equal division of property, or for any other improper or wicked project," Madison warns (Dawson 1863, p. 64). In short, Madison feared that a majority faction of the unpropertied classes might emerge to redistribute wealth and property in a way that benefited the majority of the population at the expense of the country's richest and wealthiest people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_No._10

Could he have been any more accurate in foreseeing the future?
Blickers

Mon 12 Nov, 2018 11:23 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
Madison feared that the unpropertied classes would use their majority power to implement a variety of measures that redistributed wealth.

Madison needn't have worried. For the past few decades, the top 1% have been taking it all.

https://i.imgur.com/WHyki02.jpg

At this rate, in forty years the top 1% will have 99% of the wealth of the whole country.
coldjoint

Mon 12 Nov, 2018 11:35 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
For the past few decades, the top 1% have been taking it all.

The sharpest angle on that chart is the Obama years, but just four of those years. Why not continue until 2016 to show how well the 1% did during Obama's terms?

izzythepush

Mon 12 Nov, 2018 11:40 am
Quote:
A Republican senator from Mississippi is facing criticism for a joke she made about lynching.

Cindy Hyde-Smith was filmed praising a cattle rancher, saying: "If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row."

She is facing a run-off later this month against a black Democrat in a state with a history of race killings.

Her opponent, Mike Espy, called the comment "reprehensible" but she says the reaction has been overblown.

The video was published on Twitter on Sunday by a Mississippi blogger, and showed Ms Hyde-Smith meeting supporters.

No other context for the comment was offered in the clip.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46182140
coldjoint

Mon 12 Nov, 2018 11:42 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
A Republican senator from Mississippi is facing criticism for a joke she made about lynching.

She made a joke. The UK is a joke.
Below viewing threshold (view)
farmerman

Mon 12 Nov, 2018 11:50 am
@coldjoint,
Did ya see the hangdog wimpy look Trump was sporting while Macron was scolding him on Saturdays events. Trump makes you believe hes a strong man until someone who aint afraid of him calls him out, then he just sits and mopes.

MontereyJack

Mon 12 Nov, 2018 11:55 am
@coldjoint,
non sequitur much?
izzythepush

Mon 12 Nov, 2018 12:15 pm
Quote:
An armed security guard at a bar in suburban Chicago was killed by police as he detained a suspected gunman, according to officials and witnesses.

After gunfire erupted around 04:00 local time on Sunday, Jemel Roberson, 26, chased down an attacker and kneeled on his back until police arrived.

Moments after police came on the scene, an officer opened fire on Roberson, who was black, killing him.

Friends say Roberson was a musician who had dreams of joining the police.

"The very people that he wanted to be family with took his life," Patricia Hill, the pastor of Purposed Hill church in Chicago, told WGN-TV.

Roberson worked as a gospel musician at several nearby churches, and also had found work at Manny's Blue Room in Robbins, Illinois, where the shooting occurred.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46187460
MontereyJack

Mon 12 Nov, 2018 12:19 pm
@coldjoint,
You do know how these things work, don't you? That was not your post I was referring to, as youwould know had you actually clicked on the link, rather than spouting off.
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 12 Nov, 2018 12:37 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Robbins, Illinois,

Where the liquor is behind a cage with the employee inside that cage with it. Stores only have one way in and out to prevent theft and the windows have bars. I have been there. The town, a southern suburb of Chicago, has been abandon and no one intends to clean it up.

I would lay the blame at the feet of the corrupt Democratic machine in Chicago, not the cops.

https://goo.gl/maps/2ZZigBUdqoT2

Yeah, I think I can see 4 doors, an outdoor patio for drinks during the summer, and not a bar on a window...but ok sure.
ehBeth

Mon 12 Nov, 2018 12:40 pm
More news coming from/about Cohen? some twitter hints coming out
maporsche

Mon 12 Nov, 2018 12:42 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Yeah, I think I can see 4 doors, an outdoor patio for drinks during the summer, and not a bar on a window.

Why don't you move there?

It's too far from my office where I work.

I have looked into buying property there for rentals though. Its not bad.