Fri 2 Nov, 2018 11:17 am
Quote:
A Party Defined by Its Lies
At this point, good people can’t be good Republicans

By Paul Krugman
Opinion Columnist

During my first year as an Op-Ed columnist for The New York Times, I wasn’t
allowed to use the word “lie.”

That first year coincided with the 2000 election, and George W. Bush was, in fact,
being systematically dishonest about his economic proposals — saying false things
about who would benefit from his tax cut and the implications of Social Security
privatization. But the notion that a major party’s presidential candidate would go
beyond spin to outright lies still seemed outrageous, and saying it was considered
beyond the pale.

Obviously that prohibition no longer holds on this opinion page, and major media
organizations have become increasingly willing to point out raw falsehoods. But
they’ve been chasing a moving target, because the lies just keep getting bigger
and more pervasive. In fact, at this point the G.O.P.’s campaign message consists
of nothing but lies; it’s hard to think of a single true thing Republicans are running on.

And yes, it’s a Republican problem (and it’s not just Donald Trump). Democrats
aren’t saints, but they campaign mostly on real issues, and generally do, in fact,
stand for more or less what they claim to stand for. Republicans don’t. And the
total dishonesty of Republican electioneering should itself be a decisive political
issue, because at this point it defines the party’s character.
(keep reading...)
Below viewing threshold (view)
revelette1

Fri 2 Nov, 2018 11:35 am
Quote:
Trump administration decides to stop funding efforts to counter far-right extremism

Just a few days after the nation was rocked by a Trump supporter’s attempted bombing spree and an anti-Semitic shooter killing 11 people in a Pittsburgh synagogue, the Trump administration has reportedly decided to end an Obama-era program dedicated to countering domestic terror.

Think Progress
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 2 Nov, 2018 11:38 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Paul Krugman the lord of wrong predictions

Show me one prediction he makes in the article Region posted.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 2 Nov, 2018 12:58 pm
@hightor,
Trump request to stay emoluments suit denied, potentially allowing plaintiffs to seek details on his D.C. hotel’s foreign customers
Quote:
U.S. District Judge Peter J. Messitte in Greenbelt, Md., denied the Justice Department’s request that he pause the emoluments case alleging that the president is violating the Constitution by continuing to do business with foreign governments.

The decision could pave the way for plaintiffs to seek documents related to President Trump’s D.C. hotel through the discovery process.
hightor

Fri 2 Nov, 2018 05:38 pm
Quote:
When I asked him why he was coming forward now with such uncomfortable claims, Cohen was clear: he knew that the president’s private comments were worse than his public rhetoric, and he wanted to offer potential voters what he believed was evidence of Trump’s character in advance of the midterm elections.

neptuneblue

Fri 2 Nov, 2018 05:56 pm
U.S. trade gap widens; deficit with China rises to record high

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. trade deficit rose to a seven-month high in September as imports surged to a record high amid strong domestic demand, offsetting a rebound in exports.

The Commerce Department said on Friday the trade gap increased 1.3 percent to $54.0 billion, widening for a fourth straight month. Data for August was revised to show the trade deficit rising to $53.3 billion instead of the previously reported $53.2 billion.

The trade deficit continues to deteriorate despite the Trump administration’s protectionist trade policy, which has left the United States locked in a bitter trade war with China as well as tit-for-tat tariffs with other trade partners, including the European Union, Canada and Mexico.

The politically sensitive goods trade deficit with China jumped 4.3 percent to a record high of $40.2 billion in September. Economists polled by Reuters had forecast the overall trade deficit rising to $53.6 billion in September.

When adjusted for inflation, the goods trade gap increased to an all-time high of $87.0 billion in September from $86.3 billion in August.

The government reported last week that the trade deficit subtracted 1.78 percentage points from gross domestic product in the third quarter. That was the most since the second quarter of 1985 and reversed the 1.22 percentage points contribution in the April-June period.

In September, imports of goods and services increased 1.5 percent to $266.6 billion, an all-time high. Imports of capital goods such as telecommunications equipment, civilian aircraft engines and computers were the highest on record.

There were also increases in imports of toys, cell phones, apparel and household goods.

Exports of goods and services rose 1.5 percent to $212.6 billion in September. Exports were lifted by shipments of industrial supplies and materials, which were the highest on record. Soybean exports decreased by $0.7 billion in September.
livinglava

Fri 2 Nov, 2018 06:11 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
The trade deficit continues to deteriorate despite the Trump administration’s protectionist trade policy, which has left the United States locked in a bitter trade war with China as well as tit-for-tat tariffs with other trade partners, including the European Union, Canada and Mexico.

It's almost as if Lincoln had somehow created trade barriers with the southern states and, as a response, the southern plantations started making more cotton and northern factories buying more of it. Really that's a bad comparison, though, because it's not like they could have grown their own cotton in the north.

It is hard to imagine how we're supposed to gain economic independence from global trade, though, if people just keep buying more of the stuff they're supposed to be investing in making locally.
maporsche

Fri 2 Nov, 2018 06:19 pm
@livinglava,
I hate this protectionist bullshit so much that I’ve actively made choices to NOT buy American in the last year.

More than any other policy, I want this anti-trade stuff to fail. I think it’s the 2nd worst thing he’s done after the credit-card-unnecessary-tax-cuts.
neptuneblue

Fri 2 Nov, 2018 06:26 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
It's almost as if Lincoln had somehow created trade barriers with the southern states and, as a response, the southern plantations started making more cotton and northern factories buying more of it. Really that's a bad comparison, though, because it's not like they could have grown their own cotton in the north.

Ok, I don't understand your point.

At all.
livinglava

Fri 2 Nov, 2018 07:17 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

livinglava wrote:

Ok, I don't understand your point.

At all.

The idea of trade barriers is that they are supposed to stimulate greater investment in local productivity by increasing costs for foreign producers.

For that to work, though, local producers have to invest in increasing productivity, creating more jobs, etc.

Mostly, businesses don't want to do this, however, because it costs them a lot more to hire people and produce things in the US than to import them from China, so they just keep importing and paying the tariffs presumably.

So it would be similar to if Lincoln had tried to put tariffs on southern cotton and other products in order to stimulate more local productivity in the north. The problem would have been that northerners couldn't grow cotton in the colder climate, though they could have maybe figured out alternatives, or found ways importing less cotton and using it more efficiently.

Anyway, the point is that people have to decide whether to support greater US independence or whether they want to give into international pressures to keep markets open to global economic exploitation.

I am not entirely averse to global economic cooperation, but I found it very offensive when Trump started talking about pursuing greater independence and the global response was to threaten retaliation. After all, if they were our allies and respected our democracy and independence, wouldn't they respect and support us wanting to become more economically independent?

What I think this whole trade war has really shown is that the world sees the US purely as a lucrative consumer market to sell expensive items like cars/car-parts/oil/etc. and pharmaceuticals; and if we interfere with them having their way with us and milking us for money, we better watch out.

It's sad, but the world is more like a global economic empire than a global democracy. People need to be less economically (inter)dependent so that they can respect others' efforts to increase independence, but they can't because of their dependency. It would be like telling slavery-dependent people in 1850 that they needed to do their own farming, pick their own cotton, etc. and have them just freak out and start working harder to preserve slavery and increase economic growth with it, which is pretty much what was happening at that time anyway, I think.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 3 Nov, 2018 01:49 pm
Quote:
Jobs blowout with 250,000 added in October, soaring past expectations

We can't have this. There must be some way to stop this. They have tried violence, they have tried lying, they have entrapped and framed people, the MSM does whatever they say along with Twitter and Google. Trump's successes are undeniable.

I would say they are pathetic. If Democrats do not take the House will they finally get the message?
Shocked

https://truepundit.com/jobs-blowout-with-250000-added-in-october-soaring-past-expectations/
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 3 Nov, 2018 02:04 pm
@maporsche,
Do you not believe that China is a bandit in terms of virtually all aspects of trade, and with all of its trading “partners?”

And if you do how do you think we should address its banditry ?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 3 Nov, 2018 02:48 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Show me one prediction he makes in the article Region posted.

People have voted the answer to your question below the viewing threshold. Do you realize that makes people read it just out of curiosity? Think about that, and just how tolerant you think these people are. It does not show.