monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

lmur

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 06:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
Why do you flaunt the rules here about including family in your posts?
and what rule would that be?
Families have to be separated at the border.

What is 'rule flaunting' anyway? Someone naked with just the rules to cover their modesty? What? (not addressed to you Walter!).
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 06:46 am
Quote:
The Daily Edge
‏@TheDailyEdge
BREAKING: Pentagon says military parade proposed for Veterans Day has been cancelled until at least 1938.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dkw1KKrUwAAP1Uy.jpg
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 07:01 am
@Real Music,
CNN ran a good segment on Retired Admiral McRaven "scathing rebuke" of the president.

Here
0 Replies

McGentrix

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 07:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
So, public shaming? Is that all that is left in the Democratic play book?

McRaven can revoke his own clearance any day he wants to. It's hard to imagine a day when a retired Admiral would act in such a childish manner. Used to be a day when people like McRaven would keep their public opinions to themselves when it came to politics.

I'm sure he's a great guy, but his opinion is one of a jackass.
revelette1

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 07:30 am
Former intelligence leaders: Trump attempting to 'stifle free speech' with revoking Brennan's clearance

Where is this going to end? Why aren't the democrats demanding the republicans hold the President accountable for his actions? I know he has a right to revoke security clearance, but, surely more republicans are alarmed by this president's autocratic behavior at silencing dissenting opinions and a president who is using his status as a President to go after former officals because he disagrees with their intelligence results? He is abusing his office and our congress is just letting him get away with it.

0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 07:32 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I'm sure he's a great guy, but his opinion is one of a jackass

Your opinion is and has been since Trump started campaigning.

0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 07:38 am
Quote:
The Special Counsel's Office has almost three times the number of exhibits it wants to show a jury in Paul Manafort's next criminal trial compared with what it used in his Virginia case.

The evidence for the two trials largely doesn't overlap, according to a court filing Thursday from Manafort's legal team.

The two criminal cases that President Donald Trump's former campaign manager faces do overlap in how they hinge on his alleged political consulting work in Ukraine. But the filing on Thursday shows just how expansive an investigation Robert Mueller's team has conducted on Manafort, and how the next trial could be just as revelatory as the first.

In Manafort's Virginia trial, which began on July 31, prosecutors presented nearly 400 financial records, emails and other documents to the jury. Manafort's team says the prosecutors have "well over" 1,000 pieces of evidence lined up for the DC federal case, set to go to trial in September. The judge in DC told the prosecutors on Thursday to "review" their evidence collection "with an eye towards streamlining the presentation of its case."

The reveal of the amount of evidence prosecutors are preparing came in a court filing Thursday

CNN
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 07:54 am
https://i.imgur.com/gB9JDPR.jpg

Actually, the French president invited more than presidents and heads of government from more than 80 countries to participate in the Paris Peace Forum on that day.
engineer

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 07:57 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Used to be a day when people like McRaven would keep their public opinions to themselves when it came to politics.

Yeah, we value your service and all but if you disagree with us, shut up. If people really valued the service of people like McRaven, they would at least pause and consider what they are saying before calling them jackasses.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 08:17 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
So, public shaming?

What are you on about? "Public shaming???" The founders of this country clearly felt that citizens have the right to criticize their political leaders. And everyone knows that Mr. Trump has no shame anyway.

Quote:
Is that all that is left in the Democratic play book?

Well no. If you haven't noticed, the Democratic Party has been busy fielding candidates for office. The opinions of McRaven really have nothing to do with any "Democratic playbook".

Quote:
I'm sure he's a great guy, but his opinion is one of a jackass.

Well, no — he is publicly addressing his opinion to a jackass:
Quote:
"Your leadership, however, has shown little of these qualities," McRaven wrote. "Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation. If you think for a moment that your McCarthy-era tactics will suppress the voices of criticism, you are sadly mistaken. The criticism will continue until you become the leader we prayed you would be."

0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 09:07 am
Quote:
Paul Manafort is being prosecuted because of who he knows. I hope he walks.

Quote:
Manafort hasn’t sung. Maybe he doesn’t have anything to sing about when it comes to Trump. Or maybe he figures he’ll be pardoned.

I hope he walks. I hope he walks and then dances on the courthouse steps.

And if, as is likely, he gets convicted of something, I hope Trump pardons him.

The prosecution of Manafort is everything that is wrong with the Mueller investigation and team. They found a man, and then they set out to find the crime, in order to get to another man they found and as to whom they are seeking a crime.

That’s not how it’s supposed to happen in a civil society.

The jury has the power to stop this abuse. And so does Donald Trump.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/08/paul-manafort-is-being-prosecuted-because-of-who-he-knows-i-hope-he-walks/
coldjoint

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 09:12 am
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 09:17 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Paul Manafort is being prosecuted because of who he knows.

So you think people should be immune from prosecution because they might know someone of importance? Money laundering and tax evasion is okay because the guy knows Trump?
coldjoint

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 09:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Actually, the French president

Who is quite irrelevant, will spout the usual crap about diversity and how it is our future while Islam uses Europe for a doormat. Same old, and same effect. 0.
coldjoint

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 09:22 am
@hightor,
Quote:
So you think people should be immune from prosecution because they might know someone of importance?

Why don't you ask Killary or Comey that? It seems to work that way for them. Kind of a dumb question, given the circumstances.
Blickers

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 09:35 am
@hightor,
Quote hightor:
Quote:
So you think people should be immune from prosecution because they might know someone of importance? Money laundering and tax evasion is okay because the guy knows Trump?
Really. Paul Manafort had a high toned lifestyle and got paid tens of millions by Russkie oligarchs for over a decade. He went through the money like a pro athlete on cocaine, found himself broke and owing millions to at least one oligarch, (Oleg Deripaska), and undertook a campaign of getting loans from banks giving fraudulent information. Plus promising one bank manager he would make him Secretary of the Army if he gave him the loan of millions.

But the righties figure poor Paul is being picked on.
coldjoint

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 09:41 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
But the righties figure poor Paul is being picked on.

When Killary is bought up on charges you can say that, until then it is a fact Manafort was railroaded. And you didn't answer the question. Do people like Killary and Comey avoid prosecution because of who they know? They sure as Hell do. The double standard violates the rule of law you blowholes say you value so much. Next.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 09:47 am
Poland throws another monkey wrench in the EU globalist machine.
Quote:
Polish president vetoes change to European parliament election rules

Quote:
“I refuse to sign it and am sending the legislation back to parliament for reassessment,” Duda said on public television.

“The amendment would have caused a large part of the population to not have representation in the European Parliament.”

The president said the reform would have fundamentally limited access to the EU parliament, discouraged Poles from turning out to vote, and forced small parties into entering into coalitions.

In 1683 the Poles saved Europe from Islamic conquest. Old habits die hard. Shocked
https://www.euractiv.com/section/future-eu/news/polish-president-vetoes-change-to-european-parliament-election-rules/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1534490812
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 09:50 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
Who is quite irrelevant,
Who else should do that invitation? Actually it was Macron, who announced in early July the forum, The Paris Peace Forum (Forum sur la Paix à Paris) is commemorating the centenary of the armistice of 1918.

Of course, the French PM or the French Foreign Minister could have done it, but that would be ... unorthodox.
ehBeth

Fri 17 Aug, 2018 09:52 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Used to be a day when people like McRaven would keep their public opinions to themselves when it came to politics.

what provoked Admiral McRaven to make his opinion public? what is the reaction from other military folks (active and retired)? I'd look at a variety of sources to try and answer those questions

___

Something is different in the US these days. The coverage. More on the right, more on the left, more in the middle.

Military and political people have always made their opinions known. There have always been editorials and political cartoons (I've been collecting them for about 50 years and have some going back 150+ years). The big difference is that the internet lets more people read/see them.

___

I find a good rule of thumb is to discount the outliers (thus - look at what others are saying - single sourcing rarely works out well)