monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 01:20 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Have to take your word for it, I haven't been to Europe. .

It's awfully nice, I'm off to Copenhagen again soon. Re food there are about 200+ food additives banned over here that are legal over there.

As for GMO, the feeling is that it's long term effects still haven't been analysed fully, so we'll wait.

Politically there's a v strong green movement with activists who'll trash any known GMO trials. People do feel strongly about this, I wait to be convinced either way.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 02:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Stay away from them.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 04:18 am
@oralloy,
There is no 20 year cycle in American politics. Your continued use of one is so much bullshit. Sinc FDRcontrol of the
White House by one party is neither cyclic nor periodic. Since FDR it has gone 20,8,8,8,4,12,8,8,1 1/2 and questionable how much longer. Not a 20 year cycle in sight. Your basic premise is loopy. Predicting 8 years from Trump atr this stage of his botched presidency is loopy.
Brand X

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 04:21 am
Markets expecting 4.4% GPD growth number today. It also is expected to be a peak number going forward.
oralloy

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 04:40 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
There is no 20 year cycle in American politics.
Tell that to Jefferson, Lincoln, and FDR.

MontereyJack wrote:
Since FDR it has gone 20,8,8,8,4,12,8,8,1 1/2 and questionable how much longer. Not a 20 year cycle in sight.
You might want to take a closer look at that first number in your list.
revelette1

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 06:05 am
Quote:
Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former personal attorney, claims that then-candidate Trump knew in advance about the June 2016 meeting in Trump Tower in which Russians were expected to offer his campaign dirt on Hillary Clinton, sources with knowledge tell CNN. Cohen is willing to make that assertion to special counsel Robert Mueller, the sources said.

Cohen's claim would contradict repeated denials by Trump, Donald Trump Jr., their lawyers and other administration officials who have said that the President knew nothing about the Trump Tower meeting until he was approached about it by The New York Times in July 2017.

Cohen alleges that he was present, along with several others, when Trump was informed of the Russians' offer by Trump Jr. By Cohen's account, Trump approved going ahead with the meeting with the Russians, according to sources.

To be clear, these sources said Cohen does not have evidence, such as audio recordings, to corroborate his claim, but he is willing to attest to his account.

Cohen privately testified last year to two Congressional committees investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election. A source familiar with

Cohen's House testimony said he did not testify that Trump had advance knowledge. Cohen's claims weren't mentioned in separate reports issued by
Republicans and Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee.

Contacted by CNN, one of Cohen's attorneys, Lanny Davis, declined to comment.

"He's been lying all week, he's been lying for years," said Rudy Giuliani, the President's attorney, to Chris Cuomo on CNN's "Cuomo Prime Time" on Thursday night.

He added, "I don't see how he's got any credibility."

Giuliani also said Cohen is "the kind of witness that can really destroy your whole case" and called Cohen, who was a top Trump Organization attorney for a decade, a "pathological liar."

More at CNN

If his claim can be verified by "the others" then Cohen might have something to bargain with. If not, well, I doubt Mueller would use his new claim.
revelette1

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 06:17 am
Scarborough: Even Trump is blinking now
0 Replies

layman

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 07:23 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
If his claim can be verified by "the others" then Cohen might have something to bargain with. If not, well, I doubt Mueller would use his new claim.

It's irrelevant. Mueller can't "use" it for anything. There's no crime here, just move along.
0 Replies

engineer

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 07:30 am
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

Markets expecting 4.4% GPD growth number today. It also is expected to be a peak number going forward.

The Republicans will be able to make good use of that going into fall campaigning. Of course another number will come out in October right before the election so everyone has a lot of drive to end the trade war stuff. It wouldn't look great to have a pre-trade war number over 4% and a much lower trade war number.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 08:21 am
Lanny Davis had a big-ass job trying to defend the reputation of Cohen, the scumbag who was trying to peddle influence to foreign governments, eh?:

Quote:
Davis has positioned himself as a defender of all kinds of reputations — personal, corporate and political.

His client list has included Martha Stewart, who was convicted of insider training, and Dan Snyder, the controversial owner of the Washington Redskins football team.

Most controversially, he worked for Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, dictator of the African nation of Equatorial Guinea.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-cohen-trump-recording-20180725-story.html

Cohen and Davis sound like two peas in pod, eh?
farmerman

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 08:31 am
@layman,
you really have little idea how our legal system works neh? A defense lawyer is by definition an advocate, not a chaste monk.
revelette1

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 08:39 am
@layman,
Cohen, who worked with Trump and Trump organization since 2006. When criminals gets caught, of course they are going to turn on their partner's in crime. Trump was stupid not to have protected himself from his fixer long ago. But he is arrogant without cause and it shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cohen_(lawyer)
coldjoint

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 08:58 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
When criminals gets caught, of course they are going to turn on their partner's in crime.

Handing immunity out like candy helps too.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 09:10 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
you really have little idea how our legal system works neh? A defense lawyer is by definition an advocate, not a chaste monk.

Too bad he aint helpin his sorry client, eh?

Cheese-eating CNN wrote:
Michael Cohen tape leak could complicate his legal troubles

One of Cohen's attorneys, Lanny Davis, had appeared Tuesday night on CNN to claim responsibility for providing the tape..

Cohen's recent remarks about loyalty to his family have sparked speculation that he could seek a deal to cooperate with prosecutors. A friend of Cohen's on Wednesday expressed concern that the release of the recording would backfire on him in that effort. "The feds aren't reaching out to him and (Michael Cohen) needs to make them want him," this person said.

"If you're SDNY and you're watching this play out, you might say to yourself, 'Oh my God, what will we be getting ourselves into if this is our witness? We might need to think long and hard about what sort of offer we might make to him,'" said Michael Zeldin, a former assistant to Robert Mueller and a CNN legal analyst.

"I think it's more confirming the fact that they have a witness who is going to be cross-examined on the question of his credibility."

Nice try, cheese-eater.

Notice, btw, that Mueller sees no use for Cohen. He turned the whole thing over to regular agents.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 09:13 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Trump was stupid not to have protected himself from his fixer long ago.
It's not like Trump is in any sort of danger from Cohen.
layman

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 10:02 am
@revelette1,

Yeah, says there:

Quote:
Cohen volunteered for the 1988 presidential campaign of Michael Dukakis, was an intern for Congressman Joe Moakley, and voted for Barack Obama in 2008. He was a registered Democrat until he officially registered as a Republican on March 9, 2017. His uncle, Dr. Morton W. Levine, is a family practitioner that gave medical aid to members of the Lucchese crime family.

Figures, sho nuff. Only a cheese-eating democrat would drop dimes like that, especially before they've even been charged with anything.

He's damn lucky he's been working for Trump, not the mafia like his uncle. He wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes on the street after squealin like that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 10:17 am
@oralloy,
you seem so confidant. How so? He's turned and this has got Trump's ear. Betcha Trump chucks his SIL under the bus first.
oralloy

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 10:21 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
you seem so confidant. How so?
Trump hasn't done anything wrong to begin with.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 10:23 am
My two CBS, Trump-hating news anchors weren’t happy to report that Trump has had a great week. Juncker is kissing his ear and capitulating to trump’s reckless trade attack; our economy is good.

Stay tuned.

layman

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 10:36 am
@farmerman,
He doesn't have any more recordings of Trump, although there are others involving other people.

The one he had was obviously privileged, and involved a perfectly legal transaction from over 10 years ago. His most recent claim didn't involve any crimes either.

As far as any **** he wants to make up from here on out to try to save his ass, well....

Quote:
“I did NOT know of the meeting with my son, Don jr. Sounds to me like someone is trying to make up stories in order to get himself out of an unrelated jam (Taxi cabs maybe?). He even retained Bill and Crooked Hillary’s lawyer. Gee, I wonder if they helped him make the choice!” Trump tweeted Friday.

Guiliani got it right:

Quote:
“He’s been lying all week, ” Giuliani told CNN’s “Cuomo Prime Time” on Thursday night. “I don’t see how he’s got any credibility. A person who is found to be an incredible liar, he’s got a tremendous motive to lie now because he’s got nothing to give, says it, all of a sudden, at the 11th hour. I don’t think anybody believes that,” Giuliani told CNN.

Nice try by Cohen and his cheese-eating attorney, Davis, the Clinton operative. Even less credible than Steele, eh?
0 Replies