monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 07:36 am
@maporsche,
Perhaps, but there is still a long ways to go for equal pay for women in the work force.

At this rate, American women won’t see equal pay until 2058 (WP)
revelette1

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 07:57 am
Quote:
The final week of April was designed to be a triumphant one for President Trump.

He hosted his closest foreign counterpart, French President Emmanuel Macron, for a state visit, complete with a 21-gun salute. He may be on the cusp of a diplomatic breakthrough with North Korea for the rogue state to abandon its nuclear weapons program. And he is set to put an exclamation point on it all where he feels most at home: onstage Saturday night in Michigan, riffing and ripping the elites at a rally of his fervent supporters.

But instead, it became yet another week in which the Trump administration was convulsed by chaos and contradiction.

A darkening cloud hung over Trump’s Cabinet on Thursday, as he had to abruptly withdraw his nominee to lead the Department of Veterans Affairs, Ronny L. Jackson, amid explosive allegations of poor conduct and negligence as the president’s personal physician. Jackson said the allegations were false, but still took his name out of consideration for the VA job.

Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt also struggled Thursday before a Senate committee to answer for his ethical lapses and profligate spending. Two days earlier, Mick Mulvaney, who heads the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as well as directing the Office of Management and Budget, told banking executives that as a South Carolina congressman he prioritized meetings with lobbyists who gave him campaign contributions.

The Cabinet struggles do not end there.

Gina Haspel’s nomination to become CIA director is imperiled because senators are protesting her work overseeing enhanced interrogation on CIA prisoners, including techniques critics liken to torture. To get confirmed, a senior administration official said, she will have to have “a near perfect performance.”

Haspel is in line to succeed Mike Pompeo, whose nomination to become secretary of state was so uncertain that on Monday Trump had to personally lobby Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) to table his objections and vote to approve Pompeo.

“There are enough nominees to deal with, just with the president’s executive calendar on the courts, and then on Cabinet and ambassadorships, without churning through Cabinet members like this,” said Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.). “It’s not helpful.”

Said one Trump adviser, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to offer a candid assessment: “It’s a joke. The whole thing is a joke.”

There is some concern among Republican strategists that the converging controversies could weigh down GOP candidates in November’s midterm elections.

“We’re living in a season of corruption the likes of which we haven’t seen but in a banana republic,” said Steve Schmidt, a veteran Republican Party operative and Trump critic. “. . . Everywhere you look you see incompetence, malfeasance, self-dealing and corruption.”

But others said the sagas gripping Washington are unlikely to affect voters in the rest of the country. In North Dakota, home to one of the biggest Senate battles, Gov. Doug Burgum (R) said the farmers and energy workers he meets with hear about controversy and are inclined to believe the media and political establishments are out to get Trump.

“There’s a sense that if ‘the swamp’ is not busy trying to block the Trump agenda and block Trump appointees, they’re trying to drive down those people on the Cabinet pushing the agenda,” Burgum said.

As former Virginia congressman Tom Davis (R) put it, “Voters don’t care about the emoluments clause and all the background noise. . . . People just push the mute button.”

Inside the White House, the responses to this week’s convulsions were being personally directed by Trump, who has been acting as his own strategist and making decisions unilaterally — sometimes to the surprise of his senior staffers.

“It’s starting to feel like the early days again, with everyone running around red-faced, trying to keep up with this president,” said a Republican strategist close to the White House, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to offer a candid assessment.

Personnel matters are ordinarily the purview of the chief of staff, but John F. Kelly is a diminished figure these days. His influence a mere shell of what it was in his heyday of near-complete control — a downfall one West Wing staffer characterized as moving from the enforcer to an afterthought.

So it was that Trump’s, and thus the administration’s, support for Jackson zigzagged over a chaotic 36-hour period this week.

White House officials said they were unaware Monday that accusations about Jackson would be coming, but allegations first surfaced later in the day that Jackson had improperly dispensed drugs and became intoxicated on duty. Trump on Tuesday initially guided his nominee toward the exit.
“I said to Dr. Jackson, ‘What do you need it for?’ ” the president told reporters, bemoaning the Senate confirmation process as “too ugly”
and “too disgusting.” “If I was him,” he added, “I wouldn’t do it.”

But a couple hours later, after huddling with Jackson, Trump decided to stand by the man he affectionately calls “the Doc” or “Doc Ronny.” He told advisers that although he was fine with Jackson dropping out, one of them said, “the doctor really wants to fight.” In addition, another adviser said, the president was reluctant to dump Jackson because he was afraid it would be interpreted as him giving in to criticism that he had hired a physician with no significant management experience to run one of the government’s most sprawling bureaucracies.

“The president is clearly of two minds about it,” said a third Trump adviser, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak candidly. “His typical instinct is deny, deny, deny, defend, defend, defend, fight, fight, fight. But what he said out loud at length [on Tuesday] was giving Ronny the opportunity to bow out and in some ways encouraging him to.”

Trump ordered the White House staff to rally to Jackson’s defense, and a full-throated, proactive campaign was launched. Communications aides scrambled late into the evening to craft talking points for the media.

Surrogates were deployed on cable news to praise Jackson and knock down the allegations. Military aides, Secret Service agents and others who had worked with Jackson were asked to help push back on damaging stories. And legislative affairs director Marc Short worked senators as what one outside adviser described as “a one-man band trying to keep Ronny L. Jackson afloat.”

Staffers said they readily rushed to Jackson’s defense in part because they were told to by the president and in part because they found the allegations inconsistent with the doctor they had come to know through many days traveling together.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters Wednesday that Jackson’s record as presidential physician was “impeccable.” She said that he underwent four separate background investigations, including one by the FBI, that found no indication of wrongdoing.

“In a normal administration, you might be told you have to cut bait, you’re out,” said Sean Spicer, Trump’s first White House press secretary. “You get latitude you might not in normal worlds. Trump shares that feeling of people fighting back when they get personally attacked. When you’re right, you fight.”

The fight did not last long, however. On Wednesday afternoon, a two-page summary of allegations, written by Democrats on the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee, included accusations from unnamed colleagues that Jackson had crashed a government vehicle while intoxicated following a Secret Service party, among numerous other offenses. Support for Jackson’s nomination evaporated almost immediately, with White House officials saying Wednesday night he was considering abandoning his bid to be VA secretary.

And just before 8 a.m. Thursday, the White House made it official: Jackson was out.

Whereas the Jackson scandal came and went in the span of three days, the Pruitt saga has been unfolding steadily for more than a month, in a cascade of damaging headlines about the administrator’s ethical blunders, security regimen and reliance on taxpayer money and government perks to support his lifestyle.

Another president might have fired Pruitt by now, but not Trump, who has become convinced that the EPA chief is a singular warrior for his deregulation agenda. While other Cabinet officials caught in ethical peccadilloes have apologized and promised to do better, Pruitt has been defiant and has told the president he did nothing wrong, officials said.

Though Pruitt has maintained the president’s affection, officials said, he has become estranged from most of the senior White House staff. Stories about tension between Pruitt and the West Wing were described by one White House official as “brutal,” and senior aides have grown exasperated by Pruitt and fearful that even more damaging information may come out about his profligate behavior.

Trump and many of his aides said beforehand that they planned to closely monitor Pruitt’s Senate testimony on Thursday, with some White House staffers hopeful the administrator might embarrass himself. “If he screws up the testimony,” one senior White House aide said, “we have a chance at getting him out of here.”

WP

The above didn't mention it, but, the week's chaos climaxed with Trump's call in to Fox News.

‘Fox & Friends,’ stuck with Donald Trump for all eternity
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 08:12 am
@revelette1,
No doubt.

My only point is that I don't feel many people would be better served we were suddenly dropped back into 1988, well except straight white men. They'd probably be better served compared to others (but still worse off than 2018).
ehBeth

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 08:19 am
@maporsche,
It's an interesting question. Some millenials on my FB page are absolutely convinced that their lives would have been better almost anytime in the past. I can't convince them that there are many things better about the current days. My big argument is always around medical developments - and even the woman who is a medical researcher won't give up on her distress about how awful life is now.
maporsche

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 08:21 am
@ehBeth,
I'd say just give them 10 years to put some perspective on things. Once the struggles and challenges become distant memories and they'll be occupied by the challenges that 2028 and beyond will give them, they'll remember these years quite differently.

I don't think there is a generation alive that doesn't think their youth was better than now. Or how younger generations look at older generations and believe they had it easier than they did...conversely older generations look at younger generations and comment on how easy their lives are now.

I think that dichotomy just goes to show that every generation has it's challenges and that those challenges often are just different than other generations.

I mean sure the settlers didn't have to deal with "crushing student loan debt" but they had to toil in the fields for 12 hours a day just to feed their families and prey they don't step on a rusty nail and die from tetanus. Yeah, I'll take a cushy chair in front at a desk in front of a computer working on power point presentations and giving 10% of my paycheck to Sallie Mae and having beers with coworkers after work.
maporsche

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 08:43 am
@maporsche,
Additionally, there are plenty of statistics that show that material things like owning nice cars, nice clothes, even owning a home have almost zero impact on someone self-reporting if they are happy or not.

I've always found that interesting and it mirrors my own life growing up in poverty where tarps were used to cover holes in my single wide trailer home with 8 people living in 3 bedrooms, then going off to college in Phoenix, then dropping out of college and working my tail off for little money, then finally getting better and better jobs over my 19 year career with the same company. I don't recall ever being especially unhappy or miserable.

Somehow when I made $7.25 an hour and lived with 4 dudes in a 2 bedroom apartment after dropping out of college, I still managed to be mostly happy (and often had much less stress).

Now that I own homes and have savings accounts and make 7x as much money, I'm no where near 7x happier.
revelette1

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 08:46 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
My only point is that I don't feel many people would be better served we were suddenly dropped back into 1988, well except straight white men. They'd probably be better served compared to others (but still worse off than 2018).

I didn't follow the whole line of the conversation. I agree completely.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 09:25 am
Quote:
House Intelligence Committee ranking Democrat Adam Schiff (Calif.) on Friday condemned the panel's Republicans after they released their final report declaring no evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

In a statement, Schiff accuses his GOP colleagues of ignoring evidence of collusion that he says was "in plain sight" in their probe into Moscow's 2016 election meddling.

“Throughout the investigation, Committee Republicans chose not to seriously investigate — or even see, when in plain sight — evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, instead adopting the role of defense counsel for key investigation witnesses," Schiff says.

"The Trump campaign and Administration’s efforts to deny, conceal and, when discovered, misrepresent what took place in these interactions with the Russians is powerful evidence of a consciousness of wrongdoing," he added.

Schiff, who has been sharply critical of panel Chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) and his handing of the probe, pointed to meetings between Kremlin-linked officials and former Trump associates including Paul Manafort, Rick Gates, and George Papadopoulos as evidence of a broader scheme to collude with Russia's government.

In the now-infamous 2016 Trump Tower meeting, Manafort — as well as White House adviser Jared Kushner and Donald Trump Jr. — met with a Russian lawyer they had been told could provide dirt on Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

“If it’s what you say I love it especially later in the summer,” Trump Jr. said in one email ahead of the meeting.

"[T]here is no denying the abundant evidence that the Trump campaign sought, and was eager to accept, the assistance of a hostile foreign power bent on interfering in our election," Schiff says.

"It is also uncontroverted that the Russians assisted the Trump campaign through a surreptitious social media campaign, an overt paid media effort, an elaborate hacking and dumping operation targeting the [Democratic National Committee] and Clinton Campaign Chair John Podesta, and potentially through additional means still under investigation."

The Hill
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 09:30 am
@maporsche,
They don't seem to care about happy - they care about stuff. lots and lots of stuff. and huuuuuuge splashy weddings.
revelette1

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 09:34 am
@ehBeth,
It is embarrassing watching reality TV series of weddings. It is like they go out of their way to get the worst behaving people to represent a typical American getting married. I am thinking of Bridezellas's or something like that. I don't watch it, but my daughter has it on sometimes...
farmerman

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 09:37 am
@revelette1,
I like somma those shows where the waddling brides look like virginia hams in mesh bags hanging on the front posts of a hiway market stand
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 09:49 am
@ehBeth,
Well, that's just depressing.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 10:01 am
https://hotair.com/archives/2018/04/27/lets-face-media-raptures-obama-korea-summit-happening-watch/?utm_source=hadaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl

And A2K would be teeming with praise for him. It's really funny in a pathetic sort of way.
Lash

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 11:19 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
It’s a really bad time for their team, Finn. As unpalatable as Trump is, he’s swashbuckling his way through walls of **** our bureaucracy has piled up between rationality and the way we do things.

They can’t tolerate seeing the news.

Trump’s risky plots are making good things happen - at least today.

Joy Reid claimed that Russians time traveled to the past, hacked her ten year old blog to add more homophobic comments that were very similar to her other homophobic comments that she’d already apologized for. The connection to Clinton pulling the same **** is raucously hilarious. Not a good time to be an apologist for the DNC.

The DNC is suing Russia and the Trump campaign because too many voters hated the candidate they crammed down our throats. The Dems would be riding high right now, buoyed by the outrageous popularity of President Bernie Sanders as he brought all his skills to the job of fixing this disaster we call the US. His popularity numbers would rival those of FDR.

But, the Dems fight Bernie because his rise signals a wrench in corrupt machine that makes them multimillionaires.

And as a result, they are broke and a laughingstock. They can’t survive as they are.
revelette1

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 01:06 pm
Quote:
Judge tosses Manafort civil suit challenging special counsel

WASHINGTON — A federal judge in Washington has thrown out a civil lawsuit brought by President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman that sought to challenge the authority of the special counsel in the Russia investigation.

The decision was a blow to Paul Manafort's defense against special counsel Robert Mueller. U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson issued the ruling.

Manafort's attorneys had initially asked Jackson to throw out all charges against Manafort, arguing that Mueller had exceeded his authority by bringing charges unrelated to Russian election interference.

They dropped the bulk of their challenge in recent weeks, asking Jackson to nullify a paragraph in Mueller's appointment order. They also asked Jackson to issue an order protecting Manafort from future prosecutions by Mueller. The Justice Department had moved for dismissal of the lawsuit.

AP
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 01:07 pm
@Lash,
They will deny it of course, but they would have much preferred if NK remained at the boiling point.
revelette1

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 01:19 pm
Quote:
Trump is claiming wins on North Korea before the game really starts

President Trump assured us earlier this week that he would play hardball with Kim Jong Un in their upcoming meeting. “It would be very easy for me to make a simple deal and claim victory,” Trump said. “I don't want to do that. I want them to get rid of their nukes.”

His tweets on Friday tell a different tale.

With news breaking that the North and South Korean leaders agreed to work toward the “common goal” of denuclearization and a formal end of the 65-year-old war on the Korean Peninsula this year, Trump was more ebullient than most.

“KOREAN WAR TO END!” he exclaimed in ALL CAPS.

KOREAN WAR TO END! The United States, and all of its GREAT people, should be very proud of what is now taking place in Korea!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 27, 2018

He later commended Chinese President Xi Jinping and talked about the peace “process” as if had just concluded. “Without him it would have been a much longer, tougher, process!” Trump exclaimed again.

Please do not forget the great help that my good friend, President Xi of China, has given to the United States, particularly at the Border of North Korea. Without him it would have been a much longer, tougher, process!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 27, 2018

This is premature, to say the least. If there's one thing everyone agrees upon, it's that the “process” is really just beginning. The news was big, if not unprecedented, but we've had agreements between North and South Korea before, and they haven't panned out.

Trump's tweets weren't just spiking the football but “spiking the ball while still in the locker room before the coin is tossed to start the game,” said Thomas Weiss, a scholar at the City University of New York who has studied North Korea.

WP

I am glad NK and Trump aren't throwing out little boy insults and all the main players are involved and talking about a plan for NK to end it's nuclear program. It is just premature to celebrate but it is good news.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 01:34 pm
Ah yes, Sofia Lash Goth once again shows her uncritical love for HER president.
maporsche

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 02:17 pm
So best case scenario:

The leaders of North and South Korea both believe that the American president is crazy and unhinged enough to launch a preemptive attack on a country regardless of the consequences so they start down the path to a peace.

I’m not sure if that makes me feel better or not.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 27 Apr, 2018 02:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think you’re right. It’s the most recent moral collapse of the US to a lower level of hell.

Post-truth, post-journalism. I think we’re on the verge of an openly anti-democratic authoritarianism. The Democrats have admitted they select candidates. I imagine the RNC does the same, but it hasn’t been alleged or proven.

I’m concerned that now that they freely admit it, voting is a ******* joke. They control elections.

0 Replies