monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 08:19 am
@ehBeth,
Chemical attacks can never be irrelevant, but I understand what you are saying and I agree, the situation is horrible. If we killed more innocents last weekend in an effort to kill IS, that is inexcusable too. Surely they didn't just fire off indiscriminately in civilian areas regardless if IS is there? I don't understand why more effort is not spent in going after the Assad regime and less on IS as the Assad situation seems the more urgent (long urgent if that makes sense) right now.
izzythepush

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 08:32 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I can't really sort out why something much more massive wasn't done about Assad years ago.

Because Dubya fucked up so comprehensively in Iraq, the West has been reluctant to get bogged down in the ME again.
ehBeth

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 08:37 am
@izzythepush,
Not sure I'm in favour of the West getting involved in any significant degree in the ME. I don't recall a time when that didn't lead to a massive clusterfuck.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 08:42 am
@ehBeth,
Trump attorney Michael Cohen withdraws libel lawsuits over Russia dossier
Quote:
[...]The lawsuits, withdrawn late Wednesday, would have required Cohen to submit to an evidence discovery process, forcing him to produce documentation and sworn testimony about his activities before the closely contested election.

Among other things, the dossier alleged that Cohen had traveled to Prague and met with Russian operatives. Cohen has repeatedly denied the allegation, including in a text message Thursday morning. The assertion came from research conducted by former British spy Christopher Steele, who was working for Fusion GPS.

Cohen filed a pair of lawsuits in January, one in federal court and one in state court in New York, claiming he could prove that the allegation was false and had harmed his reputation. BuzzFeed was the first to publish the dossier.

In a statement, Cohen’s lawyer said he continues to deny the allegations but had to concentrate on other legal matters after FBI raids last week on his office, home and hotel room.
[...]

0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 08:50 am
@ehBeth,
Removing Assad would count as getting involved to a significant degree.
coldjoint

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 08:58 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Because Dubya fucked up so comprehensively in Iraq,

Is that why Joe Biden took credit for the Obama administration saying Iraq's success was due to Obama?
Quote:
Biden sees Iraq success for Obama
Vice President Joe Biden said after a three-day trip to Baghdad that the American people will see President Barack Obama’s Iraq policy as a success when the “combat mission” ends on schedule Aug. 31. Biden said the administration “will be able to point to it and say, ‘We told you what we’re going to do, and we did it.’”

https://www.politico.com/story/2010/07/biden-sees-iraq-success-for-obama-039372
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 09:07 am
@izzythepush,
I don't think that should be done by the West
revelette1

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 09:25 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I don't think that should be done by the West

Who do you imagine will do it? Why haven't they done before now?

I think allies of the west (if any) and the US, France and Britain should do it after making a plan with set goals and limits. I hope that would be the next step. However, I doubt with Trump in charge it will ever happen. (I am aware it didn't happen with Obama either.)
izzythepush

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 09:32 am
@revelette1,
The problem is the Sunni Shia split, any attempt to get rid of Assad will be seen as Saudi led Sunnis trying to dominate the region and will provoke Iran led Shias to respond.

There's a proxy war going on in Yemen right now.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 09:43 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

revelette1 wrote:
I, unpopular though it is, agreed with the latest strike against Syria because of Assad use of chemical weapons on his own people.

on the scale of what's happened/happening in Syria, chemical attacks are almost irrelevant

I can't really sort out why something much more massive wasn't done about Assad years ago.

Perhaps you could influence Canada's government to take some of the actions you believe are needed.
coldjoint

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 09:48 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Perhaps you could influence Canada's government to take some of the actions you believe are needed.

Trudeau is scared shitless of Islam. The worst he will do is try to dress like them, like his India trip.
MontereyJack

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 09:52 am
@coldjoint,
India is Hindu, not Moslem.
ehBeth

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 09:54 am
@georgeob1,
Canada is part of the West. I don't think we have any place being involved in the ME - other than as diplomats and peacekeepers. Not even that keen on the diplomacy piece.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 09:55 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Who do you imagine will do it?

their immediate neighbours
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 09:56 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

There are quite a few Muslims in India - about 172 million

They didn't all move to Pakistan
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 09:56 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:

Who is talking about India?
ehBeth

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 09:59 am
@MontereyJack,
India is a country of many faiths/religions. Trudeau dressed up as a fancy yoga instructor/Hindu/Sikh on that trip. I think he thought he was visiting a local riding where they love his bhangra dancing and his wardrobe.
coldjoint

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 10:01 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
India is a country of many faiths/religions.

Big deal, every country is, some are just persecuted, usually Christians.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 10:02 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Who is talking about India?

you threw it into the discussion

coldjoint wrote:

Trudeau is scared shitless of Islam. The worst he will do is try to dress like them, like his India trip.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 10:05 am
@revelette1,
Unfortunately, geopolitics is a hell of a lot more complex than your provincial view of the world would have it.

Look what happened when your heroes Obama and Clinton went into Libya and took out Ghadaffi because Hillary wanted to notch her belt with a dictator.

Saddam was every bit the monster Assad is, and he gassed his people too and yet I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that you are not a fan of the US taking him down.

Unless we are prepared to own the backward countries we liberate, the most we should do is spank the dictators when they cross our red lines.