monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 07:26 am
Mike Pompeo
Quote:
In 1998, along with other West Point alumni, Pompeo founded Thayer Aerospace and Private Security, which received a 2% investment from Koch Industries.[16][17] In 2006, he sold his interest in Thayer, which was renamed Nex-Tech Aerospace, and became president of Sentry International, an oilfield equipment company, which was also a partner with Koch Industries.[16]

...Speaking about climate change in 2013, Pompeo said: "There are scientists who think lots of different things about climate change. There's some who think we're warming, there's some who think we're cooling, there's some who think that the last 16 years have shown a pretty stable climate environment."[51]

Pompeo has stated that "Federal policy should be about the American family, not worshipping a radical environmental agenda." He has referred to the Obama Administration's environment and climate change plans as "damaging" and "radical". He opposes the regulation of Greenhouse gas emissions by the United States, and supports eliminating the United States federal register of greenhouse gas emissions.[52]

Pompeo signed the No Climate Tax pledge of [the Koch brothers']Americans for Prosperity.[53]
wikipedia
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 07:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
They should put a revolving door at the White House entrance.
izzythepush

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 07:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Boris was just on the radio effusing about Tillerson. Clearly Trump's relationship with Russia is more important than NATO.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 08:01 am
@Olivier5,
http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-na-pol-trump-firings-resignations/static/img/revolvingdoor.gif
hightor

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 08:05 am
Pompeo has been pretty hawkish about Russian interference though — I wonder if he'll tone that down now.
Olivier5

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 08:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Nice gif. Trump's White House has all the drama of a 'reality-TV' show. Who's gona be eliminated next, wonders the average customer. Errr sorry I meant to say: 'citizen'...
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 08:09 am
The Republicans on the House Intel Committee release their finding - There was no collusion and no evidence that Putin favored any candidate. Democrats on the panel have had no part in the release of that finding.

The US intel services had and still have a different assessment
Quote:
In the assessment released in January 2017, the Intelligence Community concluded that “the Russian Government developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump” over the course of the 2016 campaign.

The viewers of Fox and consumers of other right wing media will be encouraged to hold the following belief:

1) the US intelligence community has been compromised by partisan liberals running their deep state operations and now effectively in control of US intel agencies.

2) and that the only objective, un-biased truth-tellers you can trust here are Nunes and his team of duty-driven and honest patriots.

3) who have suffered constant malicious and unfair attacks from the liberal mainstream media

0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 08:12 am
@hightor,
I'm more than a little cynical about what Pompeo will do and why. But my main purpose in posting that biographical data on him was to demonstrate again how deeply the Koch boys have infiltrated the modern GOP.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 08:20 am
@hightor,
It gets more unbelievable each week.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 08:30 am
@blatham,
“The Secretary had every intention of staying:” State’s shocking Tillerson statement
Quote:
Let’s count the eye-opening things here.

1. Trump, whose television catchphrase was “you’re fired,” couldn’t bring himself to fire America’s top diplomat in person. This is similar to how he fired former FBI Director James Comey, sending his former bodyguard Keith Schiller to deliver the news. The two incidents together confirm frequent press accounts that, for all his bravado, Trump actually is loath to fire people himself.

2. Tillerson reportedly only found about his firing when Trump tweeted about it on Tuesday morning. This statement likely represents shock on the State Department’s part as well.

3. The lead State Department spokesman is openly insulting the president by leaking details about Tillerson’s dismissal that paint him in a negative light.

4. Tillerson, whose tenure at Foggy Bottom was widely seen among foreign policy experts as one of the worst (if not the worst) in modern history, still believed that he was doing a good job at the time of his firing.
5. It’s still unclear why, exactly, the secretary of state was just fired at this particular moment in his spectacularly unimpressive tenure as America’s top diplomat.

In the Trump administration, chaos is something of a norm. But is is shocking even when grading on that curve.
hightor

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 08:31 am
@blatham,
ACJ wrote:
If there is an iron rule of management,this kind of turn over — both at the top, the middle and the bottom of your organization — signifies an organization in big trouble. The key to successful organizations is focus and execution, both are missing in organizations where goals change every two or three months and where those charged with implementation are either not in place or fear for their place.

(reader's comment in today's NYT )

Nothing chaotic or anything like that, nothing that any stable genius can't control.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 09:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Pretty amazing what consequences can follow when a nation ends up with a sociopath in power.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 09:04 am
Quote:
Nothing chaotic or anything like that, nothing that any stable genius can't control.
Yes. This is just one reason why I consider the present moment a golden age in American democracy and civic life.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 09:11 am
Quote:
The San Francisco spokesman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has resigned over what he described as “false” and “misleading” statements made by top-ranking officials, including Attorney General Jeff Sessions and ICE Acting Director Thomas D. Homan.

The now-former spokesman, James Schwab, told news outlets late Monday that his resignation stemmed from statements by Homan and Sessions that potentially hundreds of “criminal aliens” evaded ICE during a Northern California raid in February because Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf warned the immigrant community in advance.

Schwab said he pushed back on that characterization — but said ICE instructed him to “deflect” questions from the news media.
WP Wonderful people up top.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 09:25 am
My first reading stop each morning is TPM. This morning, I was greeted by a number of reported stories and commentaries but two caught my eyes. First, that Tillerson had been fired. Second, and from earlier in time, that Tillerson had called out Russia for their near certain involvement in the Brit poisoning story. tillerson has been, so far as I know, the only senior Trump official who has spoken out about this Russian murder attempt. This of course doesn't prove the two are related even if coincidental but it's possible.
blatham

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 09:31 am
As we know, there's an important special election in Pennsylvania today. Here's how the Republican candidate ended his lovely campaign describing his Dem opponent's followers:
Quote:
“Many of them have a hatred for our country,” the Republican claimed. “I’ll tell you some more. My wife and I saw it again today. They have a hatred for God.”
WP

He seems like a very nice man.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 09:55 am
@blatham,
Scorecard on Rex - the world is far, far more dangerous place to live and our friends and allies in the world think the USA is a laughing stock and if not dislike us, hate us. To add to this, he has coddled our most difficult enemy. Granted, he gets 40% of the blame because he was hamstrung by tRump. BTW, I see it getting worse under the fish, Pompano!

Once again, I think tRump did this too change the top news stories that were going to pop hughly against him today. Would he bomb someone just to change the headlines, oh damn, he already did that. Basically ineffective; but, he did it.

Truly, the Manchurian Candidate!
blatham

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 10:02 am
Quote:
From December 1 through March 11, during a period in which ICE’s inhumane tactics and clashes with state and local officials have led to increasing calls for accountability, [acting director] Homan has made 10 appearances on Fox (he “has been on Fox a lot,” Fox & Friends host Ainsley Earhardt acknowledged last month). Over the same period, Homan has not appeared on CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, or NBC, according to a Media Matters review.
MM

There is, of course, absolutely no reason why Americans ought to consider Fox News as a propaganda organ of the GOP.
blatham

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 10:05 am
@BillW,
Quote:
Manchurian Candidate!
I suppose we ought to update this to St Petersburg Candidate
BillW

Tue 13 Mar, 2018 10:14 am
@blatham,
Or, simply - Putin's Puppet (I know it's not original, but oh so factually and to the point!)
0 Replies