monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ehBeth

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 10:19 am
@blatham,
WSJ is having some kind of internal battle. Can't seem to decide where it fits - what angle it wants to take. Reporting and editorial often are on opposite sides. Very curious situation.
BillW

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 10:25 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth, I have always found this to be true of the Journal. But it does sem to be much more pronounced in current affairs.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
hightor

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 11:50 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Obama sent taxpayer money to a lot of anti-American causes.

Citations? It might be useful for us to see exactly what you consider to be "anti-American causes".
revelette1

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 11:51 am
@blatham,
Quote:
If one had the time and inclination, it would be very interesting to go back to get a good idea of how many right wing posters here were (and perhaps still are) being manipulated by these Russian operations.

And some so called "progressives."
coldjoint

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 11:55 am
@hightor,
Here you go.

https://freedomoutpost.com/barack-obama-ignores-congress-sends-500-million-of-taxpayer-money-to-hamas-palestinian-authrority/
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/12/obama-admin-sent-taxpayer-money-oust-netanyahu/
http://truthfeed.com/rigged-system-obama-caught-spending-29-million-in-taxpayer-funds-to-help-hillary-in-the-november-election/22050/
http://rightwingnews.com/barack-obama/outrage-obama-spends-770m-dollars-tax-payer-money-renovate-mosques-seas-video/
glitterbag

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 11:58 am
@coldjoint,

Geez, if you keep reading that stuff you're going to go blind.
coldjoint

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 11:59 am
Here is the biggest and down right stupid and dangerous waste of taxpayer money. Definitely an anti-American group.
http://usherald.com/obamas-back-doored-1-7-billion-taxpayer-money-fund-irans-massive-military-expansion/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 12:04 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Geez, if you keep reading that stuff you're going to go blind.

I am pretty sure your responses remain the same one sided usual crap they always have been, meaning your opinion adds up to a big 0 for me. Thanks anyway.
glitterbag

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 12:09 pm
@coldjoint,
you're a big meanie, sniff sniff😩
coldjoint

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 12:16 pm
@glitterbag,
Like I said, 0
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 12:18 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Here you go.

Yeah, pretty much as I expected.
coldjoint

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 12:30 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Yeah, pretty much as I expected.

That response is exactly what I expected too. See how things work both ways? You refuse to see the damage Obama did and he intends to do more, if you wish to enable him go right ahead.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 12:44 pm
@hightor,
Yes, that's so and this comment means...?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 12:47 pm
@hightor,
Ibsen Wrote ‘An Enemy of the People’ in 1882. Trump Has Made It Popular Again.
Quote:
Ibsen’s 1882 play, “An Enemy of the People,” is suddenly as timely as a tweet.

The political drama — about a scientist who tries to save his town from water pollution, only to wind up as a scapegoat — is being revived in several new productions across the United States.

Robert Falls, the artistic director of the Goodman Theater in Chicago, decided to stage the play after the election. “I needed to do something about our sudden/current/soon-to-be ongoing horrific life under Trump and majority Republican rule,” he said in an email.

Little did he know that Trump would stamp the phrase “enemy of the people” in the American consciousness when he used it to pillory the news media in a tweet last February.
... ... ...

And I remember that he had to write an interpretation of it at school, more than 50 years ago. [The text was together with that of "The Wild Duck" in one book - I hadn't read the latter but only (a summary!) of the former ... thus fast forgetting the mark.]
hightor

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 12:58 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
See how things work both ways?

No, I don't.

The sources you provide are laughable examples of opinion and conjecture masquerading as "news".

Quote:
You refuse to see the damage Obama did and he intends to do more...

What "damage" are you speaking of?

Funding mosques overseas?

Sending money to the Palestinians that had already been approved by Congress?

Legally giving money to Israeli groups who supported the peace process?

Spending money on domestic voter registration?

Settling a decades-old arbitration claim with Iran?

Hardly sounds like "damage" to me.

blatham

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 01:23 pm
@ehBeth,
My impression is that the WSJ has maintained a surprising separation between reporting and editorial. Surprising because Murdoch now owns the paper. Murdoch had promised he wouldn't intervene in reporting but anyone who trusts Murdoch to be honest is a fool. Yes, there has been internal discord and intermittent grumbling from the reportorial side (who are far less partisan that Gigot and his people). I think we're seeing the bulk of the reportorial staff holding to a legacy which was not propagandist.
McGentrix

Fri 9 Mar, 2018 01:24 pm
Huh, go figure. If you have a great tax plan combined with some proper deregulations you get great news
NYT
Quote:
Whether you work on Wall Street or in a warehouse, the latest jobs report released by the government on Friday contained good news, with impressive employment gains in low-, middle- and high-wage industries.

313,000 jobs were added last month, the most since July 2016 and the 89th straight month of gains, a record. Economists had anticipated a gain of about 200,000.

The unemployment rate was 4.1 percent, the same as in January and still a 17-year low.

I will now watch the parade of negative tirades about how Trump is Satan.