monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

MontereyJack

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 01:12 pm
@layman,
Quote:
But to just up and backstab a loyal homey!? I don't think so! Trump, he don't play dat.

You clearly haven't been paying attention for the last year.
layman

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 01:14 pm
@MontereyJack,
To what, for example, eh, Jack? Got anything specific in mind, or just your usual gratuitous slander?
layman

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 01:21 pm
@layman,
Wouldn't surprise me if you're thinking of someone like Flynn. But Trump certainly didn't "backstab" him. Flynn committed hari kari. Trump had no choice but to unload his ass.

Even so he was still lobbying Comey to just leave the poor boy be, eh?
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 01:30 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Of course I don't know for a fact, but I suspect that Trump has, long ago, given the Kurds the assurance that the U.S. would not abandon them after ISIS was defeated.

Very nice sentiments. But it seems that you've become a true believer. You used to be more independent — now you just seem to be an automatic Trump defender. You're ascribing characteristics to him which really haven't been on display. I imagine that his business empire might be one of the things on his mind:
Quote:
Trump knows perfectly well what a conflict of interest is. In an interview with Steve Bannon for Breitbart during the campaign, Trump volunteered the fact that he has a conflict of interest in dealing with Turkey – whose authoritarian, Islamist president, Tayyip Erdogan, Trump congratulated on his recent power grab – because Trump has a "a major, major building in Istanbul." Trump has similar conflicts stemming from properties all over the world.

RS
How many luxury towers does he have in Manbij? Who'd even want to go there?
layman

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 01:34 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Trump has similar conflicts stemming from properties all over the world.

Well, there ya go, then, eh? It's like the irrefutable argument that Francis Bacon made when he was accused of being biased as a judge because he took bribes.

He said: "Money never influenced any of my decisions. I always took bribes from BOTH sides, eh?"
0 Replies

layman

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 01:42 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
How many luxury towers does he have in Manbij? Who'd even want to go there?

Maybe you aint heard, eh, Hi? There some HOT kurdish BABES out there. Trump always goes to where the BABES are.

PS: By the way, Hi, in case ya aint noticed yet, I been dissin your commie ass in the sanctuary city thread, eh?
hightor

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 03:18 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Maybe you aint heard, eh, Hi? There some HOT kurdish BABES out there. Trump always goes to where the BABES are.

I gave you a thumb up for that one.
BillW

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 04:01 pm
@hightor,
....except, tRump doesn't do anything but NE European blondes, and he definitely doesn't do Asians.....
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 04:16 pm
@hightor,
The United Stated has pursued an ambiguous policy with respect to Kurdish independence for several decades . Trump hasn't changed anything here. We have been generally sympathetic to Kurdish efforts at achieving an independent state in a territory that embraces parts of Turkey, Iran and Iraq, but at the same time hindered by political factors involving our relations (and alliances) with (some of) the neighboring states cited above.

Kurdish independence is an issue that goes back to the dissolution of the former Ottoman Empire, mostly at the hands of Britain and France after WWI. The Boundaries of Iraq were set by British colonial authorities in the 1920s, and a "Kurdish Autonomous Area" was soon afterwards established within it. Frictions developed within Iraq between the resident Kurds and the Baathist rulers of Iraq soon after their overthrow of the British installed Hashemite Kings of Iraq in 1958.

Following the U.S. overthrow of the Saddam regime internal frictions broke out between the new Shia-controlled Iraqi government, the formerly dominant Sunni population, and the Kurds. The U.S. "surge" in Iraq had significantly pacified the situation for the Sunni and Kurds, however the rapid and premature withdrawal initiated by Obama led to a resurgence of Sunni extremism, ISIS, and a new alignment for the Kurds, who were sorely pressed by the Sunni extremist ISIS movement.

Independently of all this, frictions between the Turks and Kurds in the Southwestern parts of that country had been going on for several decades. The rise of Turkish President Erdogan, who, among other things, sought to unravel the tradition of secular government installed in Turkey after WWI by Mustafa Kemal (Ataturk), and enhance the restoration of traditional Ottoman Sunni Islam- all significantly complicated the already complex problems attendant to Kurdish nationalism. This, plus (1) the growing disaffection between Turkey and the EU powers which (understandably) rejected Turkey's application for membership; (2) the ongoing Civil War within an Alawite ruled Syria ; and (3) the rise of in insurgent Sunni/ISIS state within Syria and a (now largely defeated) participant in the civil war - all further complicated the problem of finding a stable, lasting remedy for the Kurds.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 04:47 pm
@layman,
You don't understand. He's a minister; and as such, he's supposed to uphold moral standards, regardless of whose toes he might step on. Melania posed in the nude, and Robertson did not object since Melania's husband does what he (Robertson) wants him to do. I never thought I'd ever hear a minister of any denomination condone nude photography, but there you have it. If Melania were married to a liberal/progressive politician, we wouldn't hear the end of Robertson's outrage. You call it hypocrisy. He's just like the Pharisees of Jesus' time -- a spiritual fraud who has made himself filthy rich by deceiving others with false teaching and false promises.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 06:06 pm
@layman,
Quote:
your usual gratuitous slander?

pot kettle
I was referring, of course, to your unlikely comment that Trump would never sell out a friend. If there's one thing we've learned about him in the past year, he'll sell out anybody if he thinks it's in his own self-interest.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 06:15 pm
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/donald-trump-tells-theresa-may-he-wont-visit-uk-unless-she-bans-protests-1656638

Amazing. Neutral
ehBeth

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 06:22 pm
@wmwcjr,
yeah
some people in Switzerland didn't love him so much

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/swiss-protesters-hang-trump-not-welcome-banner-at-davos/article/2647048

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-davos-meeting-protests/swiss-marchers-protest-against-trump-break-through-davos-security-cordon-idUSKBN1FC2OI?il=0

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/23/thousands-take-streets-protest-donald-trumps-presence-davos-7254757/

the Swiss usually seem so bland to me
I wouldn't have expected them to get riled up
Below viewing threshold (view)
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 06:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
the Swiss usually seem so bland to me

Unlike Canadians Smile
0 Replies

layman

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 07:26 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Washington and Ankara dispute what happened during the a call on Wednesday between US President Donald Trump and his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

According to the White House, during the call Mr Trump "relayed concerns that escalating violence in Afrin, Syria, risks undercutting our shared goals in Syria," and "urged Turkey to deescalate, limit its military actions, and avoid civilian casualties and increases to displaced persons and refugees”.

“He urged Turkey to exercise caution and to avoid any actions that might risk conflict between Turkish and American forces,” read the call readout.

But according to Turkish officials, no such rebuke was given. Turkish officials said Thursday that Mr Trump did not voice "concerns [about] escalating violence" over Turkey's cross-border operation against the Kurdish enclave of Afrin in northern Syria.

They also said Mr Trump had assured Turkey that the US would cease supplying the Syrian Kurdish militia with weapons.

This would seem at odds with the recently announced border force plan, and with the situation on the ground.

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim on Thursday slammed the United States for backing the Syrian Kurdish militia force.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/25/us-turkey-relationship-sours-leaders-dispute-phonecall-syria/

Well, which is it, Turk-boy?

Who ya gunna believe, eh, Hi?
layman

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 07:38 pm
Quote:
President Trump leans into Syria’s war

Factoring in Russia and Iran, Syria is a complex geopolitical puzzle of competing local, regional and international interests in the heart of an otherwise turbulent Middle East. Policy choices often entail significant costs that, at best, are only narrowly outweighed by benefits. Outright victories and easy answers are alien to the land.

But given these difficult considerations and what is at stake for U.S. national security, President Trump deserves initial credit for striking a middle path that safeguards U.S. regional interests without overcommitting military resources.

Declaring “mission accomplished” and withdrawing U.S. troops, as his immediate predecessors did, may have been the politically expedient move, but President Trump chose to heed the advice of his generals, who cautioned him that a hasty withdrawal from Syria could mean the return of ISIS on his watch. In doing so he may have avoided the costly mistakes of both the Obama and Bush administrations, which found themselves sucked back into the cauldron of Middle Eastern conflicts when a toxic mix of Islamic extremists and diehard adversaries filled the voids left by U.S. withdrawal.

The announced Syria policy is primarily about countering an expansionist Iran...As one senior White House official privately put it to me and other analysts, “Our Iran strategy is the cornerstone around which we are building our approach to other countries in the region,” including Syria. This post-ISIS Syria strategy, as it is dubbed in Washington, is premised on not conceding hard-won geopolitical space that the United States spent blood and treasure cleansing from Islamic extremists to Iranian-backed militias.

U.S. partners in the region are stepping up in support of a more forward-leaning U.S. posture in Syria. Arab Gulf states such as Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have quietly communicated a willingness to fund reconstruction in areas under the control of local U.S. allies, easing concerns President Trump has about “nation building” abroad. Israel’s air force has stepped up its targeting of Hezbollah and other Iranian assets in that country.

http://thehill.com/opinion/international/370759-president-trump-leans-into-syrias-war
0 Replies

layman

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 07:48 pm
Quote:
Trump broke with Justice Dept, called for release of memo

Trump broke with top officials at the Justice Department and called for the release of a classified memo purported to list Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) abuses by the U.S. government, The Washington Post reported Saturday.

Despite warnings from top officials at the agency, Trump reportedly told Attorney General Jeff Sessions through Chief of Staff John Kelly that he wants to see the memo released, believing that it will shed light on the special counsel investigation.

Earlier this week, the Justice Department warned the committee it would be "extremely reckless" to release the memo without first supplying it to the agency for review.

"Indeed, we do not understand why the committee would possibly seek to disclose this information without first consulting the relevant members of the Intelligence Community," associate Attorney General Stephen Boyd wrote to the lawmakers on Thursday.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/371066-trump-broke-with-justice-dept-called-for-release-of-memo-report

Ya just can't understand, eh? Maybe Trump don't trust the "relevant members of the Intelligence Community," eh?

It aint the job of the deep state decide anyway. It's his.

Sorry, Charlie.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 07:48 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Who ya gunna believe, eh, Hi?

I don't necessarily believe any of it. But I noticed that your story is datelined Wednesday. This one's from Friday:
Quote:
The Trump administration is preparing to stop supplying weapons to ethnic Kurdish fighters in Syria, the White House acknowledged Friday, a move reflecting renewed focus on furthering a political settlement to the civil war there and countering Iranian influence now that the Islamic State caliphate is largely vanquished.

Word of the policy change long sought by neighboring Turkey came Friday, not from Washington but from Ankara. Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told reporters at a news conference that President Trump had pledged to stop arming the fighters, known as the YPG, during a phone call between Trump and his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

WP
This is what's known as a developing story. The narrative can change from day to day. I've got a feeling that in the end run the Kurds are going to end up holding the short end. Again. Trump's team will have to thread this needle pretty carefully. Erdogan's in a bad mood.
layman

Sat 27 Jan, 2018 07:51 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Erdogan's in a bad mood.
I suppose I would be too, if I was about to get a beatdown, eh?
0 Replies