Thu 25 Jan, 2018 10:31 am
@hightor,
That's big news? Where have you been?
hightor

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 10:33 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn wrote:
That's big news? Where have you been?

I've been thinking about it for some time. I haven't seen anyone mention it on A2K. And this is the first time I've seen someone in a position like Lagarde's appear to care about it, that's all.
hightor

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 10:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I don't think the Logan Act has ever been invoked but if there ever was a case for it this is it.

I don't believe that Kerry was negotiating anything. He made some remarks as a private citizen.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 10:45 am
@BillW,
Man! This is perfect for you! Very Happy

Are you ever upbeat?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 10:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Who are the major Trumpians Walter, and how do you classify yourself?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 10:51 am
@hightor,
Finn's interested in bitcoin science?
hightor

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 10:55 am
@ehBeth,
No, he just wants to be dismissive.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 10:56 am
@ehBeth,
Well, that's far too sophisticated a jibe for me to register.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 10:57 am
@hightor,
Hardly.

You obviously don't read all the posts that run counter to your position

What the Dems want on DACA was offered to them from the start.
hightor

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 11:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Damn, I didn't see that your first response wasn't to my bitcoin post. Embarrassed

(I think you're one of the few people who tries to keep up and actually reads the pages you missed.)

Okay, backing up. I saw that headline and it appeared that Trump was further revising his ever-evolving position. He's been doing on-again/off-again for a while and this was apparently an "on". The Times obviously saw fit to print it as a breaking story so I posted it.

Quote:
What the Dems want on DACA was offered to them from the start.

Past negotiations led them to be a bit skeptical of the Majority Leader's promises so I think they wanted to get a little more assurance. Whether it was a good maneuver or not seems sort of inconsequential now as the story fades into the past.
layman

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 12:48 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
The comments, allegedly made one day after Trump abruptly fired Comey, could fuel allegations Trump got rid of him because of the investigation into possible collusion between his 2016 presidential campaign and Russia.

What has Trump EVER said that doesn't "fuel allegations" about him by the MSM? They can "allege" all the **** they want, but they can't makin nuthin stick because Trump fired Comey's incompetent, disloyal, lyin ass. Who wouldn't have?

He was a grandstanding nut job. He deserved to be fired. Until Trump fired him, all the cheese-eaters agreed with that.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 12:51 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Oh how quickly they forget when it is convenient to do so.

Quote:
CNN)President Donald Trump has said he was thinking of "this Russia thing" when he decided to fire FBI Director James Comey, who had been leading the bureau's investigation into alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 election

CNN

Heh, yeah, what did I forget? What exactly is the "russian thing?" What was Trump "thinking" about it? Again, firing Comey didn't slow down the russian investigation one iota. It did, however, get rid of the incompetent who was in charge of it.
0 Replies

BillW

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 12:52 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I have even moved on from depressing to just finding it tiresome it is so predictable.
.....and, UnAmerican!
0 Replies

BillW

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 12:55 pm
@thack45,
....and, the beat goes on.... <sigh>
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 01:39 pm
Quote:
Doomsday Clock moved to just 2min to 'apocalypse'

Growing concerns about a possible nuclear war and other global threats have pushed forward the symbolic Doomsday Clock by 30 seconds - to just two minutes before midnight.

The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (BAS) said it had acted because the world was becoming "more dangerous".

The clock, created by the journal in 1947, is a metaphor for how close the mankind is to destroying the Earth.

It is now the closest to the apocalypse it has been since 1953.

That was the year when the US and the Soviet Union tested hydrogen bombs.

Last year, the clock was also moved forward by 30 seconds.

Announcing the move in Washington DC on Thursday, the BAS said the decision "wasn't easy" and said it was not based on a single factor.

However BAS President and CEO Rachel Bronson said that "in this year's discussions, nuclear issues took centre stage once again".

The team of scientists singled out a series of nuclear tests by North Korea. They dramatically escalated tensions on the Korean peninsula and led to a war of words between North Korea and the US.

The BAS also referred to a new US nuclear strategy that was expected to call for more funding to expand the role of the country's nuclear arsenal.

Rising tension between Russia and the West was also a contributing factor.

The "weakening of institutions" around the world in dealing with major global threats - including climate change - was another major concern, the scientists said.

They also mentioned US President Donald Trump's "unpredictability", pointing to his often controversial tweets and statements.

The minute hand on the Doomsday Clock is a metaphor for how vulnerable to catastrophe the world is deemed to be.

The symbolic device was created by the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists in 1947. It was founded at the University of Chicago in 1945 by a group of scientists who helped develop the first atomic weapons.

Today, the group includes physicists and environmental scientists from around the world, who decide whether to adjust the clock in consultation with the group's Board of Sponsors - which includes Nobel laureates.

When it was created in 1947, the clock's hand stood at seven minutes to midnight. Since then it has changed more than 20 times, ranging from two minutes to midnight to 17 minutes before midnight in 1991.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-42823734<br />
camlok

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 02:01 pm
@izzythepush,
And whose fault is this?
MontereyJack

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 02:41 pm
@camlok,
Trump
BillW

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 02:53 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Trump

Plus the enabling, do nothing Republican Senate and House of Representatives!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 05:36 pm
https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26907166_10160116085435093_4903754418702564338_n.jpg?oh=8a6901e49e913e256dbf5ec1597fcc98&oe=5B1FFDC1

So how many photos have you seen in which Trump is smiling away with the leaders of the KKK, American Nazi Party or any other hat group, because that's what this is?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 25 Jan, 2018 05:42 pm
@hightor,
The bottom line is that what the Dems wanted on DACA was offered to them.

Obviously, there were quid pro quo conditions...that's politics.

I think the two major wants of Trump and the GOP were funding of the Wall and an end to chain migration,

One would think that if someone earnestly cared for the plight of the Dreamers, these two concessions would have been worth it.

The former is pure partisan politics. The Wall is a symbol and for Dems to raise issues about its cost is absurd.

The latter is strategic politics. The Dems are counting on immigrants coming here through chain migration to become Dem voters.
0 Replies