monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 12:00 am
@BillW,
Since some made it a topic here:

Catherine Deneuve apologises to sex attack victims after #MeToo controversy
Quote:
“Yes, I signed that petition, however, it seems absolutely necessary today to underline my disagreement with the way certain signatories have individually assumed the right to expand upon it in the media, distorting the spirit of the text,” she wrote.

Original published in La Libération: Catherine Deneuve : «Rien dans le texte ne prétend que le harcèlement a du bon, sans quoi je ne l’aurais pas signé»
glitterbag

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 12:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Maybe somebody should tell Olivier. Assuming of course that anyone can tell Olivier anything.
Builder

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 12:15 am
@glitterbag,
I thought ol' mate Olly was on open book...

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 12:33 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
“I’m a free woman and I will remain one. I fraternally salute all women victims of odious acts who might have felt assaulted by the letter in Le Monde. It is to them, and them alone, that I apologise.”
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 02:59 am
@glitterbag,
I saw that, wanted to write about it but now will just re-post Walt's text in the #MeToo thread.

Deneuve sticks to her gun, says she would sign the paper again, but apologizes to any victim who may have felt offended. La classe.

I have infinite patience for Walter, a man of excellent manners, thorough education and great wisdom. He was always very good to me. I don't think I ever disagreed with him on any subject, which says a lot. He can tell me anything.

0 Replies

blatham

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 04:39 am
@ehBeth,
I've bumped into the name before but have no solid idea about the fellow past this interview. I gather he tours as a speaker? Unfortunately, it is quite unlikely he'll end up anywhere on Vancouver Island other than Victoria which is a three hour drive.
blatham

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 04:51 am
@BillW,
thanks for that post, Bill
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 04:56 am
@wmwcjr,
I appreciate your posts here, William
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 05:24 am
According to the story attending this photograph in the NYT, the driver "clipped a median" then flew up to the second story. "He was on drugs." Clearly, better drugs than I have access to.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/01/15/us/15xp-crash2/15xp-crash2-blog427.jpg

0 Replies

blatham

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 05:36 am
One of these denials is actually true.
"I'm not a crook"
"I'm not a witch"
"I'm not a racist"
hightor

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 05:37 am
@blatham,
Thanks for this important tip.

It's really well done. Great to see Lenny!
blatham

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 06:26 am
@hightor,
You're very welcome. And now, your pet is safe.

For the purposes of this work, Lenny's edges had to be drastically rounded off but I wasn't under the illusion this was an historical account. It was fun to see this version of him.
izzythepush

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 06:59 am
This could be significant.

Quote:
Key powers involved in Syria's civil war have criticised the US for helping an allied Kurdish-led militia set up a 30,000-strong "border security force".

Turkey's president vowed to "suffocate" efforts to train the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and create what he called a "terror army".

Turkey considers Kurdish fighters, prominent in the SDF, to be terrorists.

Syria's government decried the "blatant assault" on its sovereignty, and Russia warned it could lead to partition.

With US help, the SDF has captured tens of thousands of square kilometres of territory from Islamic State (IS) militants.

In October, the alliance took full control of the northern city of Raqqa, the de facto capital of the "caliphate" declared by the jihadist group in 2014.

Since then, SDF fighters have been advancing southwards along the eastern side of the Euphrates river valley, clearing the last remaining militants from the desert area.

On Saturday, a spokesman for the US-led multinational coalition against IS confirmed that it was working with the SDF to establish and train a new Syrian Border Security Force (BSF).

"Currently, there are approximately 230 individuals training in the BSF's inaugural class, with the goal of a final force size of approximately 30,000," Col Thomas Veale told The Defense Post.

About half of the force would be made up of Kurdish and Arab SDF fighters who were no longer involved in the battle against IS, he added. The recruitment of the other half is under way.

The BSF will deploy along sections of Syria's northern border with Turkey under SDF control, as well as the eastern bank of the Euphrates, which effectively serves as the dividing line between the SDF and Syrian pro-government forces.

On Monday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the US had acknowledged it was "in the process of creating a terror army on our border" and promised to put an end to it.

"It is for us to suffocate this terror army before it is born," he said.

Mr Erdogan added that preparations were complete for a Turkish military operation against the Kurdish enclave of Afrin in north-western Syria, and that it could be launched at any moment.

Turkey has consistently opposed the coalition's support for the SDF because the force is dominated by the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) militia.

Ankara considers the YPG an extension of the banned Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which has fought for Kurdish autonomy in Turkey for three decades. Washington disagrees and insists the YPG has been vital to the battle against IS.

Earlier on Monday, the Syrian government called the creation of the SDF border force "a blatant breach of Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity and a flagrant violation of international law".

"What the American administration has done comes in the context of its destructive policy in the region to fragment countries... and impede any solutions to the crises," an official at the foreign ministry was cited as saying by the Sana news agency.

Russia, which backs the Syrian government, described the US move as a "very serious issue". Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told reporters in Moscow he was concerned that "a course has been set for the partition of Syria".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42687958
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 07:52 am
Draining The Swamp Notes From All Over
Quote:
Trump Administration Waives Punishment For Convicted Banks, Including Deutsche — Which Trump Owes Millions

The Trump administration has waived part of the punishment for five megabanks whose affiliates were convicted and fined for manipulating global interest rates. One of the Trump administration waivers was granted to Deutsche Bank — which is owed at least $130 million by President Donald Trump and his business empire, and has also been fined for its role in a Russian money laundering scheme.

The waivers were issued in a little-noticed announcement published in the Federal Register during the Christmas holiday week. They come less than two years after then-candidate Trump promised “I'm not going to let Wall Street get away with murder.”
Link Here

Trump voters are geniuses too.
ehBeth

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 08:34 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I gather he tours as a speaker?

he's a bit too busy in Washington to do speaking tours but he does occasionally appear on panels connected to political docs

he's on CBC radio reasonably often - I make a real effort to listen to him when I know he'll be on

he's one of the best - a great sign of what younger journalists do
revelette1

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 08:46 am
@blatham,
Well, as to that, you are welcome to my Chihuahua dog, we are having a terrible time getting her house trained. She is supposed to be 100% Chihuahua but she looks a cross between a boxer and Chihuahua to me. I just love her, but I don't love her bathroom habits.
revelette1

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 08:50 am
@blatham,
So they let thieving bankers off (which caused a financial crises) the hook but make low level drug users do the maxium time under the law? Typical.

revelette1

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 08:52 am
@blatham,
Smile

You would think they would know just a straight denial like that only makes them look more of thing they denying in the first place and would always bring to mind Nixon's line of "I'm not a crook."
blatham

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 12:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
he's one of the best - a great sign of what younger journalists do
There are so many brilliant, hard-working young journalists and political writers these days. It is one of the truly encouraging aspects of the present moment.
blatham

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 12:22 pm
@revelette1,
Thanks, rev. Please feed her bon bons and let her run about in the sun each day. I'll be by in three weeks with my mobile butchery.
0 Replies