monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 12:20 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It seems, the Trump administration isn't taking the drug issue seriously:

Meet the 24-year-old Trump campaign worker appointed to help lead the government’s drug policy office
Quote:
In May 2016, Taylor Weyeneth was an undergraduate at St. John’s University in New York, a legal studies student and fraternity member who organized a golf tournament and other events to raise money for veterans and their families.

Less than a year later, at 23, Weyeneth, was a political appointee and rising star at the Office of National Drug Control Policy, the White House office responsible for coordinating the federal government’s multibillion dollar anti-drug initiatives and supporting President Trump’s efforts to curb the opioid epidemic. Weyeneth would soon become deputy chief of staff.

His brief biography offers few clues that he would so quickly assume a leading role in the drug policy office, a job recently occupied by a lawyer and a veteran government official. ... ... ...
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
glitterbag

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 12:57 pm
Layman thinks it's Christmas morning. He hasn't had this much attention in a loooong time. Bet he is black and blue from pinching himself.

layman

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 01:44 pm
This may be the new blood the Democrats have been looking for, eh?:

Quote:
Chelsea Manning confirms Senate bid

Chelsea Manning, the former Army intelligence analyst convicted of leaking classified documents to WikiLeaks, confirmed Sunday that she’s running in Maryland for a Senate seat.

Manning came out as transgender after being sentenced to 35 years in prison. Former President Barack Obama granted Manning clemency before leaving office last year.

Manning recently tweeted out the message “f---k the police” on Law Enforcement Appreciation Day, along with the hashtag #DisarmThePolice.

Manning has also referred to Immigration and Customs Enforcement as “literally the new gestapo.”

It has it all, eh!? Both male and female, a convicted felon who hates the police, a traitor, a homey of Obama, a celebrity, and a true progressive hero. Sounds like the perfect, unbeatable (in the primary) commie candidate, sho nuff.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 01:49 pm
Since I "follow" Trump's tweets only when there's a story about them in the papers, I must have missed his reaction to the false alarm in Hawaii.
I suppose, it was about fake news. Or birth certificates? Or even better ...?
Walter Hinteler

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 02:43 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/OWzDq2V.jpg
blatham

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 02:51 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
I don't believe Trump is all that conscience at what he does
I agree. Didn't mean to imply he'd have anything near the sophistication Rove demonstrated. But he understands at some level that he can influence how some people view reality. He would probably have been a good (if totally immoral) aluminum siding salesman.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 03:09 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
but Plump, the humor -free idiot
I've been thinking about this aspect of the guy. He may be different in a private setting but in public he seems to be almost entirely without a sense of humor. I've written before about humorists and comics noting that something like 95% were or are of a liberal mindset. And I'm pretty convinced that this is because humorists point to our foibles, confusions, failures, powerlessness, etc. and in doing so, include themselves as examples. In other words, precisely the sort of characteristics Trump absolutely cannot acknowledge. There's something in here that is very near the root of conservative pathology.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 03:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Isn't that a wonderful map.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 03:18 pm
Quote:
The Wall Street Journal‏Verified account
@WSJ
We have reviewed the audio from our interview with President Trump, as well as the transcript provided by an external service, and stand by what we reported. Here is audio of the portion the White House disputes. http://on.wsj.com/2r4IW2z
Earlier, I said that when the actual, long-term power centers in the GOP universe decide they have to sideline or get rid of Trump, their main instrument will be Fox. But I ought to have included that the WSJ, particularly its editorial division, will work as Fox's partner.

0 Replies

blatham

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 03:34 pm
Quote:
AUTHORITARIANISM AND POST-TRUTH POLITICS
In response to the bizarre politics of 2016, the Oxford Dictionaries have selected as the word of the year “post-truth,” a term that highlights how far we’ve come in the eleven years since Stephen Colbert coined “truthiness” for his comedic coverage of the George W. Bush administration. “Truthiness” required that a claim felt true or seemed true; it connoted a concern with at least the appearance of validity that “post-truth” lacks. “Post-truth” is a declaration of baffled uncertainty about how contemporary politics and politicians relate to the facts of the world, with Donald Trump, the President-elect of the United States, as exhibit A.

The renowned and curmudgeonly philosopher Harry Frankfurt’s essay, On Bullshit, has been a frequent point of reference during the campaign, and since the election, for people struggling to grasp Trump’s barely comprehensible volume of untruths. This also applies to that old standby term, “gaslighting,” derived from the play and movie adaptations about a husband seeking to manipulate his wife into doubting the evidence of her own senses with constant subtle denials of the truth. I suspect that gaslighting doesn’t capture much of Trump’s mendacity. Bullshitting does somewhat better, but it masks some of the most dangerously authoritarian elements in Trump’s contempt for truthful speech.
More Here
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 03:41 pm
Quote:
Frum’s new book, Trumpocracy: The Corruption of the American Republic (out Tuesday from Harper), is a plea for Americans to remain as troubled as he is. He argues that Trump is doing deep damage to the country’s democracy. He excoriates the “appeasers” and “enablers” he says keep Trump afloat. And he calls for alarmed citizens to turn fear into action.

Frum, a senior editor at the Atlantic magazine, spoke to the Star’s Daniel Dale Thursday in Washington. The transcript has been condensed and lightly edited.
Interview Here
ehBeth

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 03:47 pm
@blatham,
Daniel Dale's fabulous. Go see him if he gets within 50 km of you.
BillW

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 03:52 pm
@blatham,
With every new page turned on the tRump saga, authoritarian, racist, facist actions are being normalized. Frum is a patriot, never thought I would say that. It is utterly amazing how fast so many Republicans will sell out America for the almighty $, even their souls!
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 04:55 pm
http://www.joemygod.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Bragged-660x330.jpg

Erickson is a conservative blogger and radio host.
BillW

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 05:19 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

http://www.joemygod.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Bragged-660x330.jpg

Erickson is a conservative blogger and radio host.

This plus the Norway remark and tRump past all put together spells R-A-C-I-S-T! And, Perdue is a liar....
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 05:21 pm
@layman,
Thanks for your civil response. I commend you for it.