monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 05:59 am
@layman,
Like I wrote, French is nowhere near ready to even hint at the possibility that he's gone overboard. Probably never will be.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 06:01 am
@blatham,
Take it up with French...it's his quote
blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 06:02 am
I have to say, I really hope Romney does run for Hatch's seat. The smarter folks here will understand why.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 06:06 am
@blatham,
Isn't that what so many Democrats were saying about Trump?
blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 06:16 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
re "politics ain't beanbag"
Quote:
Take it up with French...it's his quote

Nothing to do with French, really. It is a cliched phrase usually used by people who find utility in rejecting moral and civic standards. We can accurately think of it as the Tonya Harding philosophy.
blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 06:17 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
As I said, the smarter folks here will understand.
oralloy

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 06:28 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
As I said, the smarter folks here will understand.

Says the guy who never thinks for himself and only ever links to presumed intellectuals and yells "Look everyone! Look! Look! I think what that guy over there thinks!"

Spare us your fraudulent pretense. Please.
hightor

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 06:34 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
If it's fair for the Democrats to damage Republicans with fake investigations, then it is fair for Republicans to do the same to Democrats.

That's too neat and tidy to be anything more than a sound bite. What "damage" has been done? Why is the Mueller investigation "fake"?
Quote:
Especially when those Democrats do the very same things that they lynch Republicans for doing.

Again, I think your argument suffers from the attempt to foster a sense of equivalence and balance that doesn't actually exist. How many guilty pleas and indictments did the Republicans get out of their endless Benghazi hearings? While there's no doubt that individual Democrats have been indicted here and there I haven't seen serious claim that members of their campaign committee met with Russian oligarchs and Kremlin operatives, lied about these meetings, or tried to cover them up. In fact I don't see any indication at all that "Democrats do the very same things that they lynch Republicans for doing" — in fact, I haven't seen the "lynching" of any prominent politician. The term has a specific meaning and doesn't automatically apply to any big shot who suffers public humiliation. Using it is a transparent attempt to put a public figure in a sympathetic light, that's all.
hightor

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 06:43 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Any Republican candidate in a statewide contest in Utah is going to be the likely winner. In that Romney hasn't been known to be a great fan of Trump and has at times shown hints of independence and decency, having him replace Hatch might not amount to much more than a wash.
blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 06:48 am
This is just disgusting.
Quote:
Police arrested 63 people at a house party after finding less than 1 ounce of marijuana
Some of the attendees spent several days in jail.

...According to jail records, the 63 individuals who were arrested Saturday night were processed by Monday night. All were charged with a single count of marijuana possession. The individuals arrested were predominantly black males aged 19 to 25. Channel 2 reports some have lost their jobs as a result of spending multiple days in jail.

In Athens, Georgia, a city with a similar racial makeup as Cartersville, black individuals were found to be 4.7 times more likely to be charged with a marijuana violation than white individuals. The same discrepancy exists on the national level as well.
TP
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 06:50 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

Says the guy who never thinks for himself and only ever links to presumed intellectuals and yells "Look everyone! Look! Look! I think what that guy over there thinks!"

oralloy, you use this line repeatedly; I'm telling you it's not that good. There's nothing shady about providing a link to a well-written article and directing people's attention there. I consider that to be one of the better features of online message boards such as this one.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 06:59 am
@blatham,
Considering that French wrote it, it seems to me it has at least a little something to do with him, but then you're the smart ass, er I mean one.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 07:01 am
@blatham,
I look forward to the smarter folks explaining it to us dumb ones.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 07:11 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

Any Republican candidate in a statewide contest in Utah is going to be the likely winner. In that Romney hasn't been known to be a great fan of Trump and has at times shown hints of independence and decency, having him replace Hatch might not amount to much more than a wash.

And yet my comment (which you quoted) was in response to blatham's expressed glee at the notion that Michelle Bachman, not Romney, would run, but as he noted, the smarter folks here get his enigmatic wit. I'm obviously not among them so perhaps you will take pity on a dumb old Texas cowboy (I was going to write 'opioid-eater' but that seemed to rise to a level of aggression towards you that I don't intend. Still, the smarter folks probably would have understood Smile ) and 'splain it to me.

blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 07:16 am
@hightor,
I gather the chap may have been referring to me, though he's not the only one who advances this notion.

Of course, there are easily discernible reasons why some individuals will attempt to escape the rigor and protocols that are demanded even in a first year university course. It is better for their purposes to limit discourse to assertion versus assertion with little or no connection to any wider range of opinions or source material.
blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 07:22 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I look forward to the smarter folks explaining it to us dumb ones.
You asked.

Nothing to do with taking the seat. It's pretty much unimaginable that Romney would lose that election in that state.

But what a Romney candidacy will almost certainly foster will be a more acute bifurcation between the extremist Republicans (and right wing media entities) and the more moderate folks on the right. Breitbart will go to war, for example. Trump will do what he can to stop a Romney candidacy because he is a vengeful and pathological narcissist. I want all that to happen.

Edit: I misapprehended which election you were referring to. You meant Minnesota. Similar rationale. Her candidacy will once again make evident to more Americans how startlingly insane modern movement conservatives tend to be. I want her to be on TV a lot. I want her to open her mouth a lot. I want Trump to campaign for her.
revelette1

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 07:22 am
Today I read a piece about the Iran protest which shed a completely different light on the situation there from the piece I read yesterday. The following is very interesting. I think the article yesterday or my understand of it was getting confused with the 2009 protest.

Iran’s Protests Were Inevitable (NYT)

Quote:
The current unrest looks different. So far, the middle class and the highly educated have been more witnesses than participants. Nonviolence is not a sacred principle. The protests first intensified in small religious towns all over the country, where the government used to take its support for granted. Metropolitan areas have so far lagged behind.

Demands like freedom of speech and the rights of women and religious minorities have, for the most part, been either absent or vaguely implied. In one of the rare videos of protesters talking to the news media, they all mention unemployment, inflation and the looting of national wealth: A woman asks President Hassan Rouhani to live on only her salary of $300 a month; a veteran of the Iran-Iraq war says he considers himself among “the forgotten”; an elderly woman talks about her 75-year-old husband, who works long hours to make ends meet. The chants are also different this time. “Where is my vote?” and “Free political prisoners!” dominated in 2009. Today they have been replaced with “No to inflation!” and “Down with embezzlers!” and “Leave the country alone, mullahs.

Protests over economic grievances are hardly new in Iran: riots over inflation in Islamshahr and Mashad in the 1990s, frequent strikes by the bus drivers union in the 2000s, protests by schoolteachers over unpaid wages. Those voices were barely heard. They came from the bottom of society and were either stifled halfway through by the government or drowned out by civil rights activists with better access to the international media. They have now forced their way to the surface and emerged as a resonant, nationwide cry for justice and equality.

Since the 1979 revolution, Iranian politics has been defined by a split between reformists and principlists, conservatives who say they are devoted to the principles of the revolution. During the 1999 and 2009 uprisings, the protesters enjoyed support from powerful reformists. This time, the dichotomy has been transcended. The demonstrators don’t want support from anyone associated with the status quo, including Mr. Rouhani, the reformist president. No wonder prominent reformist figures, even Ebrahim Nabavi, a dissident journalist living in exile, disparaged the protesters as “the potato-eating mob.”
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 07:26 am
@blatham,
That's what drones do.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)