monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 08:12 am
For me as a reader, Kathleen Parker has been a mixed bag of stuff. Smart, certainly but a bit too much of a "villager" (Digby's term for those who spend rather too much time in the DC/NY world of media privilege and isolation). But periods of extremity and danger can push people into being more honest and on point (which is precisely what is driving so many news media entities to focus on Trump's words, deeds, appointments etc and to speak critically of them in a manner and with a level of seriousness that I've never seen before in the many decades I've been studying US politics and media).
Quote:
To put a fine point on it, Donald Trump’s election has released a malevolent spirit upon the land. He invoked the magic message — essentially them vs. us — and the demons disembarked from their dark hiding places. He raided the lost ark and lifted the lid, and the whirlwind of humankind’s worst impulses escaped.

...Trump’s complete original quote, as usual offered via Twitter, was: “The United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes.”

Really? By “greatly” expanding our already huge nuclear arsenal, other leaders will come to their senses regarding nukes? Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed earlier on the same day that he wishes to boost his country’s nuclear strength, too. Just great.

And, really, again. What’s with making such war-mongering threats when you’re not in the White House yet? Tweeting on matters of such import is unpresidential, not to mention unmanly. Also, it’s insane !
LINK

Yes it is. Completely ******* insane.
Debra Law

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 08:16 am
Blessed Are The Persecuted

BY MARK DAVIES

Quote:

Many self identified Christians in the United States feel persecuted. They are outraged that they have to bake cakes for same gender weddings, allow persons who are transgender to use public restrooms of their choice, provide coverage for the whole range of women’s health care for their employees, not fire workers based on sexual or gender orientation, and allow Muslims freedom of religious expression. Many self-identified Christians see these things as an affront to their morality and an attack on their religious freedom rather than a just implementation of the United States Constitution’s guarantee of equal protection of law for all persons.

In the generations right before my own, many self-identified Christians also expressed feelings of being persecuted. They were outraged that they could not continue the practices of Jim Crow in the South, that people of different races would date or marry one another, that women would aspire to equal rights with men, and that persons who were LGBTQ would do anything but totally repress their sexual and gender orientation. Earlier generations of self-identified Christians in the United States felt persecuted when their “right” to own other people was challenged. Christian denominations even split over these issues, including my own Methodist church.

Many self-identified Christians who feel persecuted may find solace in the passage from the Beatitudes where Jesus says “blessed are the persecuted.” Perhaps they see their reward as the “Kingdom of Heaven” as the passage promises. The passage, however, reads “blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake” – not blessed are those who are persecuted for denying persons equal protection under the law. Feeling persecuted because you can’t treat people unequally is not persecution for the sake of righteousness. It is persecution for the sake of wanting to treat people unequally – in other words, persecution for the sake of bigotry.

Christians in the United States who follow the way of Jesus may well experience persecution for righteousness’ sake in the years ahead. They may be persecuted for protecting our Latin@ sisters and brothers from deportation, for resisting a proposed Muslim registry and attacks on freedom of religious expression, for resisting systemic racism, for resisting voter suppression across the country, for resisting the exploitation of the natural world and protecting a livable climate, for standing with indigenous persons to protect water and land, for resisting growing white nationalism, and for protecting the equal rights of persons who are LGBTQ.

If Christians in the United States follow the way of Jesus, then we may very well see millions of Christians being persecuted for righteousness’ sake in the years ahead. If Christians in the United States follow the way of Jesus, then we should see millions of Christians being arrested over the next four years. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake for they will inherit the Beloved Community.

https://okobserver.net/blessed-are-the-persecuted/

I agree with the above commentary. Despite the hateful and fascist rhetoric espoused by Trump and his supporters, progressives must continue to pursue righteousness.
Frugal1

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 08:18 am
Trump must stop the funding of ALL so-called 'sanctuary cities'.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0tK7TLUQAAY_6e.jpg
blatham

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 08:25 am
@Debra Law,
That is a good piece, deb. I've always had to give my head a shake when I read/hear some person of a faith group suggest that community constraints on their prejudices ("no blacks allowed", "we won't serve gays", "Muslims keep out") is tantamount to being ripped to shreds by Roman lions.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 08:32 am
A really good piece here on North Carolina Republicans claims of voter fraud and what the subsequent investigations actually turned up. LINK

But what is most important here is that this is consistently what investigations by courts, independent bodies, bi-partisan bodies, academics turn up and report.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 08:34 am
Quote:
Miklos Haraszti is a Hungarian author and director of research on human rights at the Center for European Neighborhood Studies of Central European University.

Hungary, my country, has in the past half-decade morphed from an exemplary post-Cold War democracy into a populist autocracy. Here are a few eerie parallels that have made it easy for Hungarians to put Donald Trump on their political map: Prime Minister Viktor Orban has depicted migrants as rapists, job-stealers, terrorists and “poison” for the nation, and built a vast fence along Hungary’s southern border. The popularity of his nativist agitation has allowed him to easily debunk as unpatriotic or partisan any resistance to his self-styled “illiberal democracy,” which he said he modeled after “successful states” such as Russia and Turkey.

No wonder Orban feted Trump’s victory as ending the era of “liberal non-democracy,” “the dictatorship of political correctness” and “democracy export.” The two consummated their political kinship in a recent phone conversation; Orban is invited to Washington, where, they agreed, both had been treated as “black sheep.”
LINK
0 Replies

Frugal1

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 08:38 am
blatham, please keep posting liberal progressive democrat propaganda right here, because we can't find that sh!t anyplace else.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 08:42 am
@Debra Law,
Oddly enough I just kind of an opposing view but not in the way you might think. I don't necessarily agree with his pull himself up by the bootstraps kind of talk but I did agree with his talk of dividing the US in us vs. them.

Op-Ed: Apparently, I live in Dumb----istan. Let me tell you what it's like here
0 Replies

Debra Law

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 08:46 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

For me as a reader, Kathleen Parker has been a mixed bag of stuff. Smart, certainly but a bit too much of a "villager" (Digby's term for those who spend rather too much time in the DC/NY world of media privilege and isolation). But periods of extremity and danger can push people into being more honest and on point (which is precisely what is driving so many news media entities to focus on Trump's words, deeds, appointments etc and to speak critically of them in a manner and with a level of seriousness that I've never seen before in the many decades I've been studying US politics and media).
Quote:
To put a fine point on it, Donald Trump’s election has released a malevolent spirit upon the land. He invoked the magic message — essentially them vs. us — and the demons disembarked from their dark hiding places. He raided the lost ark and lifted the lid, and the whirlwind of humankind’s worst impulses escaped.

...Trump’s complete original quote, as usual offered via Twitter, was: “The United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes.”

Really? By “greatly” expanding our already huge nuclear arsenal, other leaders will come to their senses regarding nukes? Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed earlier on the same day that he wishes to boost his country’s nuclear strength, too. Just great.

And, really, again. What’s with making such war-mongering threats when you’re not in the White House yet? Tweeting on matters of such import is unpresidential, not to mention unmanly. Also, it’s insane !
LINK

Yes it is. Completely ******* insane.

The author also made this important point:

Quote:
The notion that people who still express concerns — including three professors of psychiatry who’ve signed a letter suggesting the man isn’t well — are just sore losers is nonsense.

When the president-elect of the United States so cavalierly threatens to unravel the fragile threads that hold civilization together, there are no winners. He or she who is not worried is not paying attention.
. . .

These are also not simple partisan fears. Many Republicans I know are “slightly terrified,” as one Trump voter recently put it to me. That most, if not all, Democrats are, too, doesn’t have to mean they’re all excessively disappointed, though many surely are. Nor, as the incensed have written, does my non-support of Trump translate to support for Hillary Clinton. We call that a non sequitur.

And when it comes to abusing logic, Trump wins hands down.

I didn't vote for either Hillary or Trump. I didn't like either candidate and viewed both as dangerous. I agree the issues with Trump are not partisan issues that can be dismissed with "sore loser" retorts. All persons regardless of political affiliation must hold Trump's feet (and dangerous twitter finger) to the fire. He doesn't think before he hits send and what we've seen thus far paints a portrait of a person who shouldn't be granted access to nuclear codes.
blatham

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:06 am
@Debra Law,
Understood. I never shared such concerns or opinions re Clinton but she's no longer relevant except, in my mind, as very important lessons in how sexism still permeates our culture (women still rarely end up in positions of political power which has no rational basis at all) and in how 30 years of sustained propaganda was done and how effective it was. Both of those are phenomena we have to come to grips with or suffer a lot of really ugly consequences up the road.
0 Replies

Blickers

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:14 am
@blatham,
Quote Kathleen Parker, as quoted by blatham:
Quote:
By “greatly” expanding our already huge nuclear arsenal, other leaders will come to their senses regarding nukes? Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed earlier on the same day that he wishes to boost his country’s nuclear strength, too. Just great.

Not "insane", I'm afraid. Judging by all his previous actions and statements, it's manly posturing and swagger to assuage his base while Trump proceeds to give away the national security store to Putin. Such actions would be considered weak and vacillating in any other president, and he would be soundly trounced in the press and media. But Trump doesn't care what the media says, he runs against the media and his base loves him for it. So Trump lets Putin take Eastern Europe first, while he swaggers on Twitter and wows his crowd.
Frugal1

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:16 am
Yes Virginia, 0bama was taught to despise America & the west.

Obama Despises Israel Because He Despises the West

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0xVyNmUcAExULF.jpg:large
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:18 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Integrity has nothing to do with it. This is common knowledge and you can check it out easily for yourself. There were no sources indicated in your post finding fault with Trump's fund, and you routinely make reference to such (not always) well-known facts without citation.

That's pretty much nuts, george. First, there were explicit links to Fahrenholdt's reporting on Trump's fund in my post. Second, I've been posting his reporting here (and the reporting of others on this) for two months or more. Third, I've been posting all the many instances of Trump lying about this (quoting him). And finally, given that you continually indite me for bringing so much outside commentary and reporting (all linked so you or others can verify) into this thread, what you've just charged above is more than a tad ridiculous.

Your supposed citations were merely more expressions of opinion from the tribe of commentators you frequent so avidly. They contained opinions, not facts or new information. That you paste so much of that stuff here does not constitute proof of anything except perhaps the places where you get your own opinions.
blatham

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:27 am
@Blickers,
Politically insane or civicly insane is the point, B. I do understand his tricks for satisfying his bases' worst instincts.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:29 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Your supposed citations were merely more expressions of opinion from the tribe of commentators you frequent so avidly

That's false. If you continue to take such little care in attending to content then I can't see any reason in you and I continuing a dialogue at all.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:35 am
TRUMP: Stay strong Israel, I’m coming…

http://therightscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/trump_netanyahu.jpg
catbeasy

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:38 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Your supposed citations were merely more expressions of opinion from the tribe of commentators you frequent so avidly. They contained opinions, not facts or new information. That you paste so much of that stuff here does not constitute proof of anything except perhaps the places where you get your own opinions.

One of his citations was that Trump complained about jobs going overseas and how he was going to change that coupled with examples of a few of Trump's brands being made overseas.

Are these not facts as you see them? And if you see them as facts, what are you taking issue with? The conclusion that Trump is a hypocrite? Is that in contest?

The bottom line is, as Blatham has pointed out, is that how can you have a proper discussion if citations are summarily dismissed out of hand because they come from 'the other side'? This is as bad as: its bad simply because its from Obama..

There is no evaluation from you of the 'opinion' piece as to why its 'facts' and/or opinions are wrong.

And I don't say this to say that those pieces are defacto correct. Perhaps they are wrong, that's up to those who oppose to make their case. Otherwise Blatham is correct, why bother arguing, you are then Devolving to Frugal's level: Yes it is, not it isn't, yes it is, not it isn't ad nauseum..
reasoning logic

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:40 am
@Frugal1,
Quote:
TRUMP: Stay strong Israel, I’m coming…

Trump knows the words that tickles many peoples ears.

0 Replies

blatham

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:42 am
Credit where due. Trump gets something right.
Quote:
In late April 2015, a month before Trump officially announced his candidacy, he spoke at an event called “Celebrating the American Dream” that was hosted in Houston by the Texas Patriots PAC, a local tea party outfit. The mogul sat in an oversized leather chair and fielded questions from Jim “Mattress Mack” McIngvale, a prominent local businessman. About an hour into the program, McIngvale posed Trump this query: “Define American exceptionalism. Does American exceptionalism still exist? And what do we do to grow American exceptionalism?”

Trump didn’t hesitate to shoot down the premise of the question, saying he didn’t “like the term.” He questioned whether the United States was “more exceptional” and “more outstanding” than other nations. He also said that those who refer to American exceptionalism were “insulting the world” and offending people in other countries, such as Russia, China, Germany, and Japan. It is “not a nice term,” he said, maintaining it was wrong to equate patriotism with a belief in American exceptionalism. He derided politicians who use the phrase.
LINK
Now two things. First, let's acknowledge that Trump will, if he deems it profitable, turn on a dime here and begin lauding the undeniable truth of America's unique exceptionalism (greatest nation ever seen in this or any other solar system).

The other thing is his odd use of "nice" above. Anyone seen evidence that Trump cares about being "nice"?

But aside from those quibbles, he's right. As citizens in many nations tend to think, "Damn, it's nice here. I ain't moving anywhere else!" It is an expression of affinity for and even a pride in where they live. Where a more aggressive or insistent nationalist fervor is in place then it's likely to certain that the voices saying such stuff are justifying an asymmetry of power, that is, where that nation is acting as hegemon. Such sentiments/opinions expressed by Americans now were, almost word for word, duplicated in sentiments from Brits earlier, or Dutch, etc. Once again, a really good historical work on this is Anatol Lieven's "America Right or Wrong - An Anatomy of American Exceptionalism"
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:46 am
@catbeasy,
georgeob was referring, I think, to my post(s) on Trump's charity. That is, his repeated dishonesty re 100% of the money collected going to charity versus the actual facts that David Fahrenholdt and others have reported on. There's more to that whole "charity" story that's likely fraudulent and misrepresented, but that particular falsehood was the point.

But otherwise, yeah, george finds it convenient to put anything I quote into a category he can dismiss. This makes, for him, any analysis or evidence contrary to what he wants to read invalid or unworthy. It's just lazy and thought-terminating.
0 Replies