monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:01 am
I wouldn't take much comfort in this if I were Trump
<br /> http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/23/poll-enlisted-troops-love-trump/?utm_medium=email
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:08 am
This is great
http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/23/new-survey-shows-mlb-beats-nfl-in-popularity-amid-anthem-protests/?utm_medium=email

Of course the fact that MLB has entered it's post-season play as something to do with it, but we're also right in the middle of the NFL season.

What's great is that Democrats prefer football over baseball, while Republicans prefer the restored National Pastime. That title has a lot to do with it for Republicans. No one wants politics with their favorite pastime...unless of course, they are Democrats.

Anyone remembering George Carlin's brilliant bit comparing the two sports would be hard pressed to predict that Dems would prefer football.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:29 am
http://nypost.com/2017/10/21/the-other-half-of-america-that-the-liberal-media-doesnt-cover/

What a breath of Fresh Aire

I just ordered this fellow's book on Amazon, you libs should too.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:31 am
George Orwell wrote:
“The point is that we are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. Intellectually, it is possible to carry on this process for an indefinite time: the only check on it is that sooner or later a false belief bumps up against solid reality, usually on a battlefield . . . To see what is in front of one’s nose needs a constant struggle.”

Words of wisdom for everyone, regardless of where they stand on the political spectrum.

Setanta

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 12:14 pm
New York Post . . . ha-hahahahahahahaha . . . now there's fair and balanced. Rolling Eyes

What's a "lib," Finny? Does it never occur to you that people can comment on President Plump without falling within your snarky categories?
cameronleon

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 12:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I wouldn't take much comfort in this if I were Trump

Well, president Trump banned male soldiers dressing with skirts, and the whole gay troops were interviewed in that poll.
0 Replies

snood

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 01:04 pm
This is a recent (this past Friday) photo tweeted from the former governor of Puerto Rico, Alejandro Garcia Padilla. It shows doctors performing surgery BY CELLPHONE FLASHLIGHT. He captioned it "This is what POTUS calls a 10!". It shows just a small sliver of the public health crisis that Puerto Rico is currently facing.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMnz8F1UQAErnbk.jpg

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/10/sometimes-all-it-takes-is-one-horrible-photo-to-summarize-a-catastrophe-this-is-puerto-ricos/
maporsche

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 01:06 pm
@snood,
I heard someone justify on TV that it's ok that something like 85% of PR doesn't have power BECAUSE most of them didn't have power to begin with.

It's disgusting really.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 01:13 pm
Senator Flake of Arizona speaks the truth, WOW! It can happen. I am sure tRump will not even understand half of what he says, he will need a translator for sure. Never mine, he would not even have an attention span or care about most of what he says anyways.
wmwcjr

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 01:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I no longer stand on the political spectrum. I've had enough. As a 67-year-old man who now has to deal with serious nonpolitical problems of his own making, I feel entitled to resign from the politic culture of this country -- not that I urge anyone else to do so. I'm simply too tired and disillusioned to go along with the charade. My vote has never made a difference, anyway.

Aside from voting and making financial contributions to candidates, my involvement has been mostly that of a spectator. Well, I think the game is fixed, which is just as well since I'd have to violate my conscience to support either party or ideology. The Democratic Party is on the verge of permanent minority status. They're being gerrymandered out of existence, and they'll eventually run out of Big Money as well. Remember The People's Almanac from the mid-1970's? Among its many features were articles about every country. As I recall, one of the sections in each article was entitled "Who rules?" The section I really appreciated was entitled "Who REALLY rules?" I suspect that if such an article about the U.S. is written, say, 20 years from now, the "Who REALLY rules?" section will indicate that the U.S. is an oligarchy and that a committee of billionaires select the ultraconservative Republican candidates whom they will financially support for public office. This committee will be composed of individuals such as Robert Mercer, who believes that the value of human life depends on the amount of money produced by the individual in question, and the Koch brothers, whose father happened to have been one of the founders of the authoritarian John Birch Society. Nice guys! Money talks and purchases political power.

Here's another statement that is bound to upset some people: Liberals/progressives and conservatives actually share some characteristics in common.

There are extremely decent, even heroic individuals on both sides of the political divide. People on both sides have perfectly understandable reasons for their respective political orientations. Anyone who believes that all the decent people can eventually be persuaded to join the same political party and subscribe to the same political ideology is a fool.

Neither the political right nor the political left is willing to admit that his side has ever been wrong about anything -- especially about a moral issue. People on both sides demonize the other with no recognition that no one can be right all the time. In fact, many progressives and many conservatives resemble those who participate in cults. "The party is always right," "Anyone who isn't a member of the party is inferior," "Liberals/conservatives are always right," "The conservative/liberal movement has never been wrong about anything," blah blah blah. For many liberals liberalism is their religion, and for many conservatives conservatism is their religion. No thanks! As a Christian I've already got a religion. That's enough for me.

Again, I'm not telling anyone what to do. If you're a hardcore conservative/liberal, have at it! But as for me, I'm just an oddball nobody who's no longer interested in participating.

End of rant.
hightor

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 02:27 pm
@wmwcjr,
I hear you.

And I commend you for pointing out the money issue. Rightists seem to feel that their current success reflects some sort of truth in the positions they hold. It doesn't. It instead reflects a cynical but determined effort over the last few decades to allow the moneyed class to control the entire political process. There's no way the opposition can match the power of sheer wealth, especially when funding campaigns with virtually unlimited and unregulated dark money is just assumed to be a manifestation of "free speech".
hightor

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 02:30 pm
Why ‘Medicare for All’ Will Sink the Democrats
Steven Rattner, 24 October, New York Times
Quote:
Repeal-and-replace may be done for now, but for Senator Bernie Sanders, the war is just beginning — and it has already become a fracas that is dividing the Democratic Party, to its detriment.

Mr. Sanders — who, of course, isn’t even a registered Democrat — is banging on about what he calls “Medicare for All,” a government-run plan that would provide health care coverage for every American.

But now the crusty Vermont independent wants to be a senatorial pied piper for Democrats. He has made his proposal into a kind of litmus test for who is a “good Democrat,” inveigling 16 of his colleagues — more than a third of Senate Democrats — into endorsing it.

A goodly number of those senators are presidential hopefuls, leaving their prospective campaigns open to attack from Republicans salivating to capitalize on an idea that has historically been a political graveyard. Remember Hillarycare?

As a centrist Democrat, I’m scared to see my party pulled into positions that are both bad politics and dubious policy. And I’m disappointed that few of our party’s moderates are willing to resist the freight train coming at us from the left.

I understand why Mr. Sanders and his acolytes believe that sweeping progressive ideas — however unrealistic they may be — might capture the public imagination better than the more carefully constructed proposals of centrists, policies that are harder to articulate and can come across as mushy.

But the Sanders approach didn’t work for George McGovern in 1972 or Michael Dukakis in 1988, and I don’t believe it will work for Democrats in 2018 or 2020.

Yes, recent polls seem to indicate rising support for single payer. But when factors like whether taxes would be raised or the Affordable Care Act would be repealed are introduced, the consensus swings to opposition.

Spellbound Democrats should also consider the fate of past single payer proposals. In Sanders’s home state of Vermont, a single payer plan was abandoned after an analysis found that it would require a near doubling of the state budget (and increasing taxes similarly).

In Colorado last November, a whopping 80 percent of voters rejected a universal plan, again over taxes and costs. And for similar reasons, California recently shelved a single-payer proposal.

Amid the many complications of Medicare for All, the question of what would happen to the 157 million Americans who get their insurance from their employers and the 19 million who are enrolled in Medicare Advantage loom large.

To be sure, some Democratic senators seem to be supporting Medicare for All as a lever to achieve more modest goals, like a public option within the existing health care exchanges.

For example, Al Franken of Minnesota called the Sanders proposal “aspirational” and “a starting point for where we need to go as a country.”

More like the starting point of a political nightmare for Democrats. For one thing, Mr. Sanders has been unabashed in his attacks on “the establishment wing of the Democratic Party” and has intimated that primary challenges may be in the offing.

For another, when the Republicans unleash their inevitable blitzkrieg, I doubt voters will recognize the subtleties in positions like Mr. Franken’s.

Privately, many moderate Democratic senators are harshly critical of Sanders’s tactics. “It’s radioactive for me,” one Democrat facing re-election in 2018 told me.

But publicly, even Democratic senators who have declined to endorse Medicare for All have done so in measured terms to avoid antagonizing the progressives.

“The first thing has to be to protect the health care people have now and stabilize markets,” said Debbie Stabenow of Michigan.

Instead of Medicare for All, we Democrats should be focused on “Better Jobs for All” — big ideas for addressing our most pressing economic challenge. That is: the wage stagnation that has left too many Americans behind, particularly white working-class men.

That’s not an easy problem to solve, but we know the solutions revolve around people-centric initiatives like improving education, providing more training and retraining and increasing worker mobility.

To buttress those programs, it’s time to move ahead with rebuilding our infrastructure and restoring government investment spending on research and development.

In doing so, let’s not forget that only about a quarter of voters consider themselves liberals; the balance self-identify as moderates or conservatives.

Our model of democratic capitalism has stood us well for more than two centuries; now is not the time to embrace the kinds of ideas, often involving deep government economic intervention, that have often fallen short elsewhere, notably in much of Europe.

On present course and speed, we can take back the House of Representatives in 2018 and defeat President Trump in 2020 — unless we Democrats do something stupid, like nominating candidates from the fringe of our party.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 02:35 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

New York Post . . . ha-hahahahahahahaha . . . now there's fair and balanced. Rolling Eyes

What's a "lib," Finny? Does it never occur to you that people can comment on President Plump without falling within your snarky categories?

Did you even read it lib?

Most of the content is from an NPR Exec's book.

BTW - What happened to your old favorite "teehee?"
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 02:37 pm
@BillW,
Unfortunately for you guys, your favorite Republican has just announced he won't run for re-election...soon to be followed by his announcement that he has switched parties.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 02:39 pm
@hightor,
Oh, but when Dems win the leftists can feel comfortable that virtue has won out?

Poor, poor Dems. They only outspent the GOP in the last three presidential elections. Rolling Eyes
hightor

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 02:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Most of the content is from an NPR Exec's book.

Are you implying that if a guy worked at NPR he must be one of them "libruls"? Hey, the guy made well over a million bucks in his last year there — with that kind of money he can afford to hang out with rednecks. Some of us don't have a choice!
hightor

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 02:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Oh, but when Dems win the leftists can feel comfortable that virtue has won out?

I don't know. Ask a leftist in good standing.

Quote:
They only outspent the GOP in the last three presidential elections.

The moneyed class has better, more efficient ways of exerting their influence.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 02:46 pm
@hightor,
I'm not implying anything.

He's a self-professed liberal.

And what's with the asinine "librul?"

Have you ever seen me use a derogatory and juvenile term like that? No you haven't.

If you're living near rednecks, count yourself lucky or move. (Try reading what they guy wrote)
maporsche

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 02:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Unfortunately for you guys, your favorite Republican has just announced he won't run for re-election...soon to be followed by his announcement that he has switched parties.

Here's what he said: "Here's the bottom line: The path that I would have to travel to get the Republican nomination is a path I'm not willing to take, and that I can't in good conscience take," Flake told The Republic in a telephone interview. "It would require me to believe in positions I don't hold on such issues as trade and immigration and it would require me to condone behavior that I cannot condone."

That seems pretty principled to me.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 Oct, 2017 02:51 pm
@maporsche,
It also sounds like someone who knows they would lose painting the best picture possible.

You fools keep making the mistake that there are principled politicians. This guy bet against Trump and he lost.