monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 11:25 am
@thack45,
Quote:
Hopefully the tide will turn where the entire lot agree to distance themselves from him. The guy's knack for saying some of the most indefensible things has got to wear thin at some point.. right?

I no longer believe that is what will happen. The GOP is now so corrupted ideologically and financially that all (or close to that) of the incentives push towards further and greater degradation of the institutions of governance and the moral/ethical codes which real democracy depends upon.
BillW

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 12:00 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Hopefully the tide will turn where the entire lot agree to distance themselves from him. The guy's knack for saying some of the most indefensible things has got to wear thin at some point.. right?

I no longer believe that is what will happen. The GOP is now so corrupted ideologically and financially that all (or close to that) of the incentives push towards further and greater degradation of the institutions of governance and the moral/ethical codes which real democracy depends upon.

At most, 15-20% of Republicans could be brave and ideogical enough to speak out. But wouldn't dare as they would be primaried.....
Below viewing threshold (view)
maporsche

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 01:54 pm
@georgeob1,
What, no mention of right wing hypocrisies? Like the drug czar who pushed opioids on people or the congressman who is all pro life for the cameras but pushed his mistress to have an abortion?
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 01:59 pm
@georgeob1,
Gee, I wonder why? Could it be the title of the thread, "monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events"? Get on topic or start your own thread!
BillW

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 02:41 pm
@BillW,
On point - in regards to monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events of today, tRumps' base and current approving support level of about 32% is still approximately 2/3's of the entire Republican party. It is really sad that according to Bill's definition, a large majority of Republicans are fascist, White Supremacists. The remaining 68% has got to come together as one to save Democracy, the rights of all people and America! We are currently as close to the brink as I care to ever be. The abyss is possibly forever.........
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 04:07 pm
@georgeob1,
Now that was refreshing!

Oh, and btw, BillW used an exclamation point when he admonished you to either get on point or start your own thread so he must really mean business.

Be careful, he might use two the next time or label you a white supremacist (If he hasn't already... I've lost count of all of the neo-Nazis in this forum)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 04:08 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:
At most, 15-20% of Republicans could be brave and ideogical enough to speak out. But wouldn't dare as they would be primaried.....

yup

the Koch boys and their redwood party boys aren't going to let that happen

they've got Pence right where they want him
BillW

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 05:54 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

BillW wrote:

yup

the Koch boys and their redwood party boys aren't going to let that happen

they've got Pence right where they want him

yup

and Pence is more likely to get really bad legislation passed. Damned and double damned......
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 06:03 pm
@georgeob1,
Hi george
Nice to see you but you have not improved as regards care for facts. Nor honest and rational argument. Let's take this...
Quote:
quotes from supportive left wing commentators.

Indeed, there's lots of that. And unless you deem all these voices to be completely valueless, that doesn't pose a problem. But where your carelessness really shows is in omitting mention of how many right wing voices have been quoted as well. You could take any two week period of this thread and do a count of the right wing voices quoted here and then do a tally of any voices you have quoted, either from right or left, ever, and my tally of right wing voices in any two week period will exceed what you've contributed here.

Then this one...
Quote:
Meanwhile examples of left wing hypocrisy are multiplying from Hollywood to Washington,

You gotta be kidding. There's nothing smart here and a whole lot that is very dumb indeed. You've got a party leader who you laud who brags about how he can just grab women's pussies. Because he's a celebrity. Harvey Weinstein is not the leader of the Dems nor is he the ******* President, voted in with 80+ percent of religious right voters standing by this man of grace and principle.

And just tossing out the "Hollywood" trope is about as lazy and stupid as anyone might get. First, let's recall Arnold bragging about engaging in group sex. Let's remember what Piper Laurie revealed about Ronald Reagan doing just what Weinstein did (though surely not so egregious in quantity). The Hollywood trope served extremist right wing ideologues for a long time and you throwing it out now just reveals what information sources you rely on and it reveals how little thinking work you are prepared to do.

And it is not just the standard "Hollywood proves how degraded and degenerate liberalism is", it's the failure to extend that concept or metric in this case of one profession or industry when thinking about other groups. Did Jimmy Swaggart's behavior reflect equally on all evangelists? Or Ted Haggard? Did Newt's multiple dalliances reflect equally upon every Republican and Democrat in the House? Did Larry Craig's? Or Henry Hyde's adultery even while pursuing Clinton for the same? Did Mark Sanford's adultery make all other Republicans from Carolina bible-hating perverts? And there's Mark Foley. John Ensign. And my very favorite, David Vetter.

Weinstein is being defended by nobody. Trump is being defended by you. And you go with hypocrisy as the indictment? Give me a ******* break.
thack45

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 06:17 pm
@blatham,
Deny, deflect, repeat. Nothing new to see here
BillW

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 06:24 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

Deny, deflect, repeat. Nothing new to see here

Truly the most asinine post I've seen lately, I'll equal it .

GO TWACK IT!!!!!
thack45

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 06:28 pm
@BillW,
I suppose that wasn't clear at all I wasn't referring to blatham, but rather the post he was quoting.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 06:33 pm
Quote:
Russian Trolls Used ‘Up To 100’ Activists To Organize Events In US, Report Finds
As many as 100 unwitting activists were recruited to help organize events in the United States both before and after the election by the same St. Petersburg-based Russian troll farm behind scores of fake social media accounts that purchased ads to sow discord during the 2016 campaign.

The revelation comes from a report in the Russian business magazine RBC published on Tuesday morning.

The events included an October 2016 rally in Charlotte, North Carolina to protest police violence mere weeks after a protester was fatally shot at a Black Lives Matter protest there. The organizers of the October protest were not with BLM, though, according to RBC’s report. They were with BlackMattersUS, the organization outed as a Russian front last week by Casey Michel at ThinkProgress.
TPM
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 06:44 pm
Quote:
Roy Moore's Senate campaign said Monday it does not know why more than 1,000 fake Twitter accounts originating from Russia started following the former judge's account over the weekend, causing a spike in Moore's social media following.
link here
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 07:23 pm
@blatham,
With regard to your response to ob George: He is peddling a tu quoque fallacy (clickity-click). Not only is the distinction between some Hollywood puke and the President of the United States a valid point, but the tu quoque fallacy applies here, too. Moral turpitude on the part of one individual does not justify or excuse moral turpitude on the part of another, and the citizens of the United States have a right to expect the chief magistrate to set a high standard.
Setanta

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 07:51 pm
I just made the following post in Sofia Lash Goth's phony baloney "Rising Fascism in the U. S." thread, which basically uses the violent protesters in Berkeley as a springboard to claim that the threat comes from "antifa" leftists. I consider the following to be germane here:

Quote:
Several people in this thread have made the point that fascist policies and tactics have been discernible in left-wing regimes, as well as in right-wing. In fact, when I made a post to outline the key attributes of fascist take-overs, I specifically mentioned Stalin's (so-called) Marxist-Leninist regime in the Soviet Union, saying I saw no difference between that and the classic fascist regimes in Europe in the 1920s and -30s. People keep coming up with these tu quoque fallacies, here and in other threads. Moral turpitude on the part of one individual or group does justify or excuse moral turpitude on the part of another.

People on the right have been calling for the Democratic Party to be banned, including one member here. People on the right have been calling for a purge of the Republican Party, including one member here. President Plump has called the constitution outdated and effectively said it needs to be scrapped--on Fox television, making him undeniably forsworn--he took an oath to preserve, protect and defend the constitution. (The last paragraph of Article Two, Section One reads, in its entirety: Before he enter on the execution of his office, he shall take the following oath or affirmation:--"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." Finally, President Plump has publicly said that NBC should be shut down because they have criticized him.

These represent classic fascist technique. All political opposition is outlawed. The party is purged of those who are considered not to be ideologically "pure." Constitutional protections and legislative statutes are ignored or set aside. Communications, both public and private, are subjected to censorship or banned outright. Fascism is not a political ideology nor an economic system--it is a blueprint for the take-over of government and the maintenance of the regime thereafter.

There may well be many people on what is called the left in the United States who would do the same if given the opportunity. But they are not in power right now, and President Plump and the Republican Party are. Any threat of "rising fascism" in the Untied States right now comes from the far right of the American political spectrum.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 18 Oct, 2017 12:54 am
Quote:
US President Donald Trump's latest bid to impose travel restrictions on citizens from eight countries entering the US has suffered a court defeat.
A federal judge slapped a temporary restraining order on the open-ended ban before it could take effect this week.
The policy targets Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Chad and North Korea, as well as some Venezuelan officials.
Previous iterations of the ban targeted six Muslim-majority countries, but were checked by the Supreme Court.
The state of Hawaii sued in Honolulu to block Mr Trump's third travel ban, which was set to go into effect early on Wednesday.
It argued the president did not have the powers under federal immigration law to impose such restrictions.
US District Judge Derrick Watson, who blocked Mr Trump's last travel ban in March, issued the new restraining order.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41659724
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 18 Oct, 2017 02:58 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Today's bit was factual reporting on the top donors to Super PACs - it turns out they are mostly liberal donors, foundations and labor unions, and not the evil corporations they were chasing with Citizens United.

"Super Pacs"??? These campaign financing sources almost seem quaint in today's world of unlimited dark money. Wow, you can actually see who made a political contribution, fancy that.
Quote:
Despite all of this, our economy is thriving in a way we haven't seen in a long while.

Can you pronounce the word "b-u-b-b-l-e-"? No fair counting the reconstruction activity following the serious tropical storms, unless you believe that Republican climate policy was designed to manufacture more extreme weather incidents as a way to put people to work.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 18 Oct, 2017 07:41 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
tu quoque fallacy
...and the citizens of the United States have a right to expect the chief magistrate to set a high standard.

Yes. Perhaps the most common ad hominem form we get from the modern right. And as I'm sure you know, right wing media has jumped all over this Weinstein story for reasons that are rather obvious. One can immediately recognize what information sources george attends to from this one example alone.
0 Replies