monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 07:28 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Total ad hom. There's no place for that in legitimate discussion of ideas.

Is that what the politics forum is here?
maporsche

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 07:30 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

maporsche wrote:

You make me want to hate Bernie Sanders

Just keeping you honest.

Which means, I don't hate him.

Your support is toxic to him; makes me gag.
maporsche

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 07:31 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Being a woman was a PLUS for Hillary

That's just bullshit, and needs to be called out for idiocy.
Lash

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 07:31 am
@maporsche,
You're a bit overwrought. Breathing exercises may help you relax.
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 07:49 am
@Lash,
So tell me, why did the media and the Trump team go after Hillary's appearance and voice and her health, when Trump is older, fatter and way more unhealthy looking? It is universal for women to be judged more harshly as they age than men. I am not saying it was completely sexist, but sexism played a factor in Hillary loss along with other factors.
maporsche

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 07:51 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Kamala Harris: black and female. The Dems know what appeals to their base.

If the progressives hadn't splintered off, she'd be a shoo-in.

Assuming this is true....you can see that this is just another case of progressives shooting themselves in the foot right?
Lash

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 07:51 am
@maporsche,
Why are the Dems grooming Kamala Harris?

Plus, your primary mode of argumentation remains ad hom.

Disappointing.

Try this: Give some reasoning for your comments.
Lash

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 07:53 am
@revelette1,
No one has gone after Trump's appearance? His health? How fat he is???

You seem to be advocating preferential paternalistic treatment for women, rather than equal treatment, which is what she got.
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 07:56 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Why are the Dems grooming Kamala Harris?

Plus, your primary mode of argumentation remains ad hom.

Disappointing.

Try this: Give some reasoning for your comments.

I don't think the most democrats (28% of population) view being a woman as a negative (although, some do...there is misogyny in both parties).

But in a general election, where you need to appeal to independents and possibly (but unlikely) Republican voters where I think being a woman is a disadvantage.

If Kamala Harris ends up running, she'll have a harder time than an equivalent male candidate would have. She would have to win despite her being female, not the other way around.
revelette1

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 08:00 am
To emphasis my point, the following from Carl Bialik on 538 (analyst facts and figures/polls) is worth the read.

How Unconscious Sexism Could Help Explain Trump’s Win

(I would reword it to say help explain some of Trump's win)
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 08:03 am
@maporsche,
For the awesome people. 😀
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 08:29 am
@maporsche,
Look. The party machine is behind Harris for a reason. Because they know their base and the Indies they want to appeal to, so they're checking the most important boxes.

Indies are mostly thinking voters who lean progressive.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 08:30 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Several people on this thread thought Obama didn't have a chance in hell to be elected president.

Obama had significant momentum coming off the 2006 elections and people's disgust and exhaustion with Bush II and his wars. Clinton had to succeed a two-term president from her own party. Not easy, and hardly ever happens.

Quote:
Being a woman was a PLUS for Hillary, but she blew that advantage because she was corrupt, and obviously a neocon running as a democrat.

She was only "popular' among activist establishment Dems. No, she wasn't a neoconservative. She was working with the coalition Bill Clinton had made out of centrist Democrats. Her vocal support of the military was a calculated effort to dispel the commonly held notion that a woman wouldn't be "tough enough" to go to war. Since she was never CiC, we have zero evidence of her being an actual warmonger. Her experience in the State Department would have served us well as far as diplomacy goes.
Quote:
If the progressives hadn't splintered off, she'd be a shoo-in.

I doubt very much that this will come to pass.
Lash

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 08:31 am
@maporsche,
No. Rather than watch neocons take over the second major party, we're demanding change.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 08:40 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Plus, the gender factor was present

absolutely

I saw it on my alterna-FB page during the American election and see it to this day.

Some people really have trouble with powerful, smart women - especially women with academic/business/political strengths. I'd hoped that this kind of thinking would have faded away by now but it's there - and the election of Trump has made it more acceptable to express it publicly.

Smart others are disliked/hated/not trusted.

Being a nasty white man is still better than being any kind of other.
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 08:55 am
Off the subject but I just saw the following and thought it was ironical but uplifting all the same.

Trump's childhood home becomes showcase for refugees

Quote:
NEW YORK — President Donald Trump's childhood home in New York had some new occupants over the weekend — refugees who shared their stories as a way to draw attention to the refugee crisis as the United Nations General Assembly convenes this week with Trump in attendance.

The three-story Tudor-style home in Queens that Trump's father, Fred, built in 1940 is now a rental available on Airbnb that anyone can stay in for $725 a night. It was auctioned off to an unidentified buyer in March for $2.14 million, its second time going up for auction.

The international anti-poverty organization Oxfam rented it Saturday and invited four refugees to talk with journalists. The Republican president's administration issued travel bans on people from six Muslim-majority countries and all refugees. After various court challenges, the Supreme Court last week allowed the restrictive policy on refugees to remain temporarily. The justices will hear arguments on the bans Oct. 10.

"We wanted to send a strong message to Trump and world leaders that they must do more to welcome refugees," said Shannon Scribner, acting director for the humanitarian department of Oxfam America.

Trump lived in the house on a tree-lined street of single-family dwellings until he was about 4, when his family moved to another home his father had built nearby.

In an upstairs bedroom, Eiman Ali, 22, looked around at the dark wood floors and a copy of the book "Trump: The Art of the Deal" on a nearby table and wondered about the home's previous resident.

"Knowing Donald Trump was here at the age of four makes me think about where I was at the age of four," said Ali, her smiling face framed by a dark gray hijab. "We're all kids who are raised to be productive citizens, who have all these dreams and hopes."

Ali was three when she arrived in the United States from Yemen, where her parents had fled when war broke out in their native Somalia. Ali said she remembered Trump as an entertaining character on "The Celebrity Apprentice," but has since changed her opinion.

"To have someone so outspoken against my community become the president of the United States was very eye-opening and hurtful because I have invested a lot in this country," she said.

Down the hall, Ghassan al-Chahada, 41, a Syrian refugee who arrived in the United States with his wife and three children in 2012, sat in a room with bunk beds and a sign on the wall that said it likely was Trump's childhood bedroom.

"Before the conflict began in Syria we had dreams of coming to America," al-Chahada said. "For us, it was a dream come true."

Al-Chahada said his life changed when Trump signed the ban that barred people from Syria and five other countries, from entering the United States.

"I had hopes I would get my green card and be able to visit my country," al-Chahada said. "But since Trump was elected I don't dare, I don't dare leave this country and not be able to come back."

He looked out the window into the front yard and thought about what he would say to the president.

"I would advise him to remember, to think about how he felt when he slept in this bedroom," al-Chahada said. "If he can stay in tune with who he was as a child, the compassion children have and the mercy, I would say he's a great person."

AP
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 08:56 am
@hightor,
You don't have to wait until someone is president to know if their foreign policy plans are dovish or neoconservative. I can't even believe you are actually trying to float that.

Her own words are clear.
maporsche

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 08:59 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

You don't have to wait until someone is president to know if their foreign policy plans are dovish or neoconservative. I can't even believe you are actually trying to float that.

Her own words are clear.

So were Obama's.

Being a woman, you must remember for the last 50 years plus hearing comments about how a woman doesn't have "what it takes" or "the balls" to handle war. In 2014 Bill O'Reilly said as much when he suggested that other countries would attack the USA if a woman was in power. That Russia, Iran, NKorea, etc would challenge (i.e. go to war) with the USA if we elected a woman.
Lash

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 09:01 am
@hightor,
Just FYI. The members stated that Americans were not ready for a black president-specifically.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 09:03 am
@maporsche,
I didn't follow his first campaign. Would you say he presented himself to be dovish?