monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 05:43 am
@Lash,
You make me want to hate Bernie Sanders every time you mention him. I have to actively remind myself that it's his policies that I would be supporting, not his sycophants.

Just a strange thing I've noticed.
snood

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 05:58 am
@maporsche,
The other night on Bill Mayer's show, author Fran Leibowitz expressed exactly how I feel about Bernie Sanders. She called him an unbelievably narcissistic, annoying old man.
Blickers

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 06:59 am
@cameronleon,
Quote cameronleon:
Quote:

The only expertise required in this voter fraud investigation is to verify the names of the ones committing fraud.

After this step, the counting of those fraudulent voters.

The following step, is the arrest of those who committed this fraud.

Stop dodging the question. The voter fraud commission is packed with Tea Party members who will carry out their investigation ONLY with the Tea Party interests in mind. Von Spakovsky's memo lamenting the addition of Democrats and even "mainstream" Republicans proves it.

Incidentally, the first thing the "voter fraud" commission did was ask all 50 state governments for the names, addresses, phone numbers, and a bunch of other personal information on each voter. This treasure trove of information is to be kept in the office of the Vice President. It goes against virtually all the privacy laws of the last three decades, and gives anyone with access to it the ability to target anyone opposed to the government. It is 1984 all over again.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 07:07 am
@maporsche,
Someone once pointed out Sander's similarity with Jesus in that respect. I like Jesus/Sanders, his supporters not so much.
0 Replies

Ragman

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 08:35 am
@snood,
That, IMHO, describes all politicians in recent memory.
snood

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 08:41 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

That, IMHO, describes all politicians in recent memory.

Maybe, but Sanders has received a level of adulation and hype that others haven't. And I think he's believed every bit of it.
0 Replies

BillW

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 09:30 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

The other night on Bill Mayer's show, author Fran Leibowitz expressed exactly how I feel about Bernie Sanders. She called him an unbelievably narcissistic, annoying old man.

Hadn't thought about it that way! I like the guy, think his ideas are overblown but, yeap, that's what it is! Of course, all pols are annoying.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:13 am
izzythepush

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:16 am
Quote:
The US has insisted it will leave the Paris climate accord, despite reports that it may be softening its stance.
Following a meeting of environment ministers on Saturday, the EU climate commissioner, Miguel Arias Canete, said Trump officials had indicated the US would either stay in the 2015 accord or review its terms.
But the White House insisted there had been "no change" in the US position.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41296988
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:51 am
@edgarblythe,
Here's an interview with the New Yorker's David Remnick from Friday:

https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/the-new-yorker-radio-hour/hillary-clinton-explains-what-happened

You know, for people who are interested.

Contrary to what many of the reviews say, she accepts responsibility for her defeat. She does blame a lot of people and other factors — Comey, Sanders, Wikileaks — but I don't hear her laying the fault on them exclusively, just that they all combined to derail her campaign.
snood

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 12:30 pm
@hightor,
The thing that gets me is the air of resentment that people have for Hillary. It's like, "How dare she stay in the public eye, and comment about that election!" EVERY defeated presidential candidate writes a book, for one thing. For another, Hillary was a historic figure running against a media creation being aided and abetted by a hostile foreign government. There will be all kinds of speculation and theorizing to come about "what happened" during that campaign, from many different perspectives. I think that HER perspective is, at the very least, worth consideration.
0 Replies

snood

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 12:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
That video is spreading right wing memes. You really believe Hillary Clinton is a Neocon? Based on what?
hightor

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 12:34 pm
Our Constitution Wasn’t Built for This

Quote:
Exactly 230 years ago, on Sept. 17, 1787, a group of men in Philadelphia concluded a summer of sophisticated, impassioned debates about the fate of their fledgling nation. The document that emerged, our Constitution, is often thought of as part of an aristocratic counterrevolution that stands in contrast to the democratic revolution of 1776. But our Constitution has at least one radical feature: It isn’t designed for a society with economic inequality.

NYT
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 01:52 pm
@snood,
Hillary has been described as a neocon for years, by lots of people, long before the 2016 election.
Lash

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 01:55 pm
@maporsche,
Sounds like a personal problem. You like his policies, but because I like him, you want to HATE him. Wow.

Just sounds like you're a small person, given to rash, emotional decisions.

Good luck with that. <3
Lash

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 01:56 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Sounds like a personal problem. You like his policies, but because I like him, you want to HATE him. Wow.

Just sounds like you're a small person, given to rash, emotional decisions.

Good luck with that. <3

One more time--for the peanut gallery!!
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 01:58 pm
I wonder what the odds are that a narcissist would fly coach in the middle seat...

Anybody?
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 02:02 pm
@snood,
Based on his impassioned hatred of the one who cheated Bernie Sanders of the Democratic nomination. I don't have much use for either of them: Clinton's an establishment politician, and Sanders is a carpet bagger who only became a Democrat in order to run for president. I held my nose and voted for Clinton, because the alternative appalled me. Clinton screwed the pooch, though, ran a lazy and stupid campaign, and threw away what could have been a sure victory.

They all disgust me, and especially that clown Sanders. That was all show--anyone who's been in Congress as long as he has would know that that agenda could not be passed, especially with Republican obstruction. He was selling pie in the sky in the cynical manner of all politicians.
ossobucotemp

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 02:08 pm
@Setanta,
nods
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 17 Sep, 2017 02:10 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
. . .just that they all combined to derail her campaign.

What campaign? She acted like the convention was a coronation, and sat around on her dead ass for weeks. When she finally got going, she made a series of incredibly stupid moves. Campaigning in Florida was really stupid, she was never going to take that state. But more than that, she neglected states Mr. Obama had carried, as though they were in the bag. Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania would have easily put her in the White House. She didn't bother with them, and she squandered the considerable political capital of Mr. Obama, in Florida, for Christ's sake.

That was her election to lose, and she did. She owns that loss, but she won't own up to it. Democrats, in the establishment and in the street need to face up to this, and learn from the past. I have no confidence that they will.