monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

old europe

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 02:50 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
As my list proves, some mayors and City Councils made those decisions, bowing to threats of violence or at least unilaterally- without input from the people.

Threats from white supremacists and nationalists against the removal of those statues. You're aware of that, right?

Lash wrote:
You think that's ok.

I think that's how a representative democracy works. It's literally the opposite of mob rule: a constitutional, democratic process that follows the rule of law in order to arrive at a decision that is in the best interest of the electorate and the general population.

Yes, I think that's okay.

Lash wrote:
I do not.

Which is puzzling. Particularly if you advocate a democratic decision making process and oppose mob rule.
Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 02:51 pm
@Setanta,
Sturgis is a self-disciplined, lovely person.

I paraphrased you.
Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 02:53 pm
@maporsche,
Town Halls can be accomplished effectively--if that is indeed the desire of the people in charge.
maporsche

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 02:57 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

That's WHAT THEY DID.

Once again, you're confusing the hell out of me.

Almost all of the cases of a statue coming down were due to city votes and most of those had a period of public comment. Some, like the two cases you bolded were done on private property.

So, what examples are there where people did something you don't think is ok? And I'm not going to read a list that scroll 15 screens on my iphone.
hightor

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 02:58 pm
Quote:
(...) On Sunday, Cuba was also reckoning with the damage from Hurricane Irma, which roared along the island nation’s northern coast on Saturday.

Although there have been no reported fatalities or casualties, Havana awoke Sunday morning to substantial damage. The capital’s inhabitants, who spent the night in darkness after authorities cut power as a precaution, found fallen trees, mangled lampposts, and smashed water tanks. Floodwaters reached more than 600 yards into the city.

But damage in the capital was light compared with elsewhere on the island. In the coastal city of Matanzas, 60 miles east, one-story houses were completely underwater, and damage to Cayo Romano and Cayo Coco, popular tourist islands, was severe. A video posted on Facebook showed hotel roofs caved in, and mounds of concrete and coils of steel in lobbies. The northern keys are home to more than 50 all-inclusive hotels, which provide essential hard currency for Cuba.

The Cuban government immediately began relief efforts, deploying security forces in large numbers to the hardest-hit areas, along with convoys of trucks carrying food and heavy equipment to help remove debris.

“Cuba is very organized,” said Orlando Eorlsando, 53, as he replaced his front door with bloated plywood in Havana. “The priority of the government is to keep people safe and preserve life.”

While the Cuban response seemed to be a well-oiled machine, elsewhere in the Caribbean the government reaction has been halting, critics say.

NYT
Pretty much speaks for itself.
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 02:58 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Town Halls can be accomplished effectively--if that is indeed the desire of the people in charge.

Many of them held town halls or public comment periods. The ones that didn't, didn't have to before taking a vote. But the public can hold those people accountable on election day.
Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 03:00 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

I'm an old lying buffoon.

Lash wrote:

Don't be so hard on yourself, but you really must stop all this intentionally deceptive parsing of quotes.

old europe wrote:

Ok, I'm sorry. Of course, you were correct all along. I'm just trying to impress Cyclops.

Cycloptichorn

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 03:01 pm
@Lash,
Oh, get over yourself, sheesh

Cycloptichorn
Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 03:02 pm
@maporsche,
I do hear you, but the damage is done and it's not equitable.

This is my opinion.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 03:05 pm
@maporsche,
I think we're all clear about where we stand. I've stated it a few times. You guys just don't agree.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 03:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I thumbed you up. Old Euro really parsed me unfairly. I'm over it. 🤷‍♀️
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 03:06 pm
@Lash,
No you didn't, you lying sack . . . I said nothing remotely like "goddamned Australian." Conservatives like you and your buddies here couldn't tell the truth if your sorry lives were at stake.
0 Replies

old europe

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 03:08 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
all this intentionally deceptive parsing of quotes

While I appreciate the ironic use of false quotes, feel free to make an actual, coherent argument any time you like!

I'm sure you can do it.
Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 03:20 pm
@old europe,
Ignoring my comments just drags this out needlessly.

We just disagree. I think people should learn how to talk to each other about important issues, and make these decisions locally.

Some did. Most didn't.

Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 03:29 pm
@Setanta,
...Furthermore, there is a disgusting irony and hypocrisy to see this sort of drivel from an Australian...murdering aboriginals....acknowledging that doesn't fit the agenda of trolls from down under...

Or, paraphrasing : goddamn Australian.

I think I nailed it.
ehBeth

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 06:37 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
As such some of them might be "good people" but they believe in racist and hateful ideals.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21462441_10212511875583613_4687058614723066253_n.jpg?oh=db71b08733790a8aef3d4b5f024108cb&oe=5A4C2AF4

Midlothian Virginia
today

credit D. P.
0 Replies

old europe

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 07:07 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I think people should learn how to talk to each other about important issues, and make these decisions locally.

These decisions are being made locally. It's not like the federal government has ordered all statues of Confederate generals to be removed. Quite the contrary.

Let me ask you - someone who appreciates Ta-Nehisi Coates writing - this: are you personally in favor of the removal of statues celebrating Confederate heroes from public spaces in American cities?
Builder

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 07:08 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
...murdering aboriginals...

A thorough search of our geneology revealed that grandfather on father's side was a ward of the state, and also a "stolen generation" indigenous man, who fought in Egypt with the Light Horse regiment, and was repatriated with honours, having charged his horse at a gun emplacement, severing the head of the gunner with the cutlass he swung. He was shot through the lower jaw, and required surgery, and a lengthy recovery period.

We'd long suspected our heritage, and it's good to know the truth after all this time.

Quote:
goddamn Australian.

Often used as cannon fodder in US invasions.

I'd not expect anything other than drivel and denial from members of this board.

Sycophants and suckholes prefer to band together.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 07:29 pm
Terrific, now the sundae has a cherry on top.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 07:51 pm
@old europe,
I personally think they should come down. Largely because of when and why they went up.

I do not think people should be allowed to deface them and vandalize them.

I think the process is important.

Weird that you threw Ta'nehisi in there.

I would have preferred more statues went up, celebrating freedom and freedom fighters and abolitionists and game-changers ...