monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

snood

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 11:42 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Scoff if you like; Kilmeade, dumb as he is, is correct.

Correct? He asked a question.

Why are people so concerned with what might happen to monuments a hundred years from now???

They are twisted; somehow emotionally and or psychologically invested in obfuscating and remaining in denial about the simple, clear impetus to remove tributes to confederate traitors.
Sturgis

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 11:43 am
@Lash,
Quote:
...(brought up by a goddam Australian...

So you see Lash, the expatriate has decided this board should be either segregated or out and out ban Australians- whichever feeds its ugly ego at the moment.

...and to the expatriate, I was not engaging in a 'lovefest' as you worded it. I was merely thanking Builder for having brought up a very real and important subject. Then again Setanta, I know that you don't like truth or facts to labor your putrid peabrain.

...now back to ignoring Setanta (who I will only respond to when it drags my name into a post).
Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 11:44 am
@hightor,
Members' seeming disapproval of Kilmeade's question reminds me of a recent headline about how some Americans think bringing up climate change in the midst of Hurricane Irma is insensitive...
Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 11:51 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

hightor wrote:

Quote:
Scoff if you like; Kilmeade, dumb as he is, is correct.

Correct? He asked a question.

Why are people so concerned with what might happen to monuments a hundred years from now???

They are twisted; somehow emotionally and or psychologically invested in obfuscating and remaining in denial about the simple, clear impetus to remove tributes to confederate traitors.

"Confederate traitors" are not the only people the public wants removed from public tribute. People who are unable or unwilling to acknowledge that will never understand the larger conversation.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 11:52 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Members' seeming disapproval of Kilmeade's question reminds me of a recent headline about how some Americans think bringing up climate change in the midst of Hurricane Irma is insensitive...

Do we really need to explain the difference between a memorial for victims of a terrorist attack, and memorials for leaders of a rebel army expressly designed to protect the odious practice of slavery?

Why would anyone, ever, call for the removal of memorials for victims of aggression??

The question Kilmeade asked is idiotic on its' face, and a transparent attempt to build a false equivalency.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 11:54 am
@Lash,
Quote:

"Confederate traitors" are not the only people the public wants removed from public tribute. People who are unable or unwilling to acknowledge that will never understand the larger conversation.

Well, it's the only group that significantly large elements of our society want removed. You can find some nutjob who wants George Washington removed from the dollar bill, or some such claptrap, but it's hardly the same.

Cycloptichorn
old europe

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 12:00 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
That's not too far afield from removal of Civil War statues.

Are the 9/11 memorials statues that celebrate and glorify the 9/11 attackers?

If not, then it's pretty far afield.
Blickers

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 12:32 pm
@snood,
Quote snood:
Quote:

They absolutely are. Online, the Russians are into it too, since enhancing racial animosities destablizes America, a goal which is dear to the Russian troll effort. YouTube is instructive. Go to a thread about the Confederate flag or removal of Confederate statues and the Confederate side consists almost exclusively of two types: Erudite, well phrased posters pushing the Confederate side who make obvious mistakes about constitutional law, (the Russians), and the American Confederates who make posts like, "I dont want the Confedrit flag taken down becuz blacs have to low IQ to tel us wat to doo."

The Russians accurately figured the American Confederates needed a great deal of help to push their cause, so they are lending them a hand.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 12:38 pm
@old europe,
I talked to Americans and others who said every American living in the luxury our war footing provides us is guilty of war crimes, and deserving to die.

The point is: you and your buddies here do not get to choose how people feel about this issue.

There are myriad feelings and opinions. There are many ideas about America's so-called original sin and who and what should be erased from records and / or rotundas and/or public grounds.

Not far afield for many people.

Maybe you chuckleheads should stop trying to make these decisions for everybody.
Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 12:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Thanks for finally saying it.

Mob rule.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 12:41 pm
@Lash,
Maybe you should get some more people together before declaring yourself a meaningful movement.

Quote:
I talked to Americans and others who said every American living in the luxury our war footing provides us is guilty of war crimes, and deserving to die.

You've talked with some ******* dumb shits, then.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 12:47 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

That settles it in my mind. Lash talked to someone and it's now confirmed; a nationwide organized effort that we need to take seriously and conflate it with the effort to take down traitors statues.

In other news, I talked to a guy today on the bus who told me that chipmunks were hiding and storing all the food they need for 100 years because they know the end of the surface world is coming (this is a true story). So guys, I think this dude is on to something. We should really take it seriously. He was an American too, so we know it's legit.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 12:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I felt the same way. Some America-haters on this site.

But, the sentiment exists--and is rather strong in the Middle East. Last night, several messages on Twitter were crowing with glee about Hurricane Irma, telling Americans that they were thrilled we were being paid back for our crimes against the world, Syria and Yemen in particular.

If everyone who feels strongly about removal of what they want removed, everything will be gone. People should at least acknowledge that.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 12:57 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/www.theblaze.com/news/2017/08/17/watch-cnn-commentator-calls-for-the-removal-of-washington-and-jefferson-statues/amp/

Why do you people belittle this woman's opinion? Is she lying?
0 Replies

old europe

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 12:57 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I'm sure you have.

I just don't think that this forces you to adopt those opinions as your own.

I'm pretty confident that you're able to point out the difference between statues that glorify generals fighting a war of secession against the United States of America in order to preserve slavery, and a memorial to the victims of a terrorist attack.
Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 01:03 pm
No, listen to this. Does this mean anything to you?

https://youtu.be/gg4XKIX1bs4

Why draw a line? Where do you draw the line? Should mob rule make these decisions, or should they be decided by the people democratically?

I disapprove of the current methods of deciding.
old europe

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 01:06 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Should mob rule make these decisions, or should they be decided by the people democratically?

I disapprove of the current methods of deciding.

Which current methods of deciding do you disapprove of? How would you like the decision to be made?
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 01:27 pm
Goddammit. My awesome response murdered by the 27th power outage in as many minutes. I'm pecking this out one more time.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 01:31 pm
Local referendum. I think moderated Town Halls set up by interested parties, where varying opinions are disseminated is a decent idea. I think mob rule and violence and removal during the middle of the night is not ok.

FYI, I believe many confederate objects would have been removed through the more democratic method, and the violence and seeming capriciousness of the method could have been avoided.
Lash

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 01:32 pm
@Lash,
Plus. People could hear others' thoughtful reasons- and they'd have to confront their own.
0 Replies