monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

emmett grogan

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 08:12 am
There will always be an England.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fox-news-uk-pulled_us_59a67451e4b063ae34d9ebf3?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

TV viewers in the United Kingdom will likely not miss watching Fox News, as the network’s parent company 21st Century Fox announced on Tuesday that the company would pull the channel amid low ratings.

“Fox News is focused on the U.S. market and designed for a U.S. audience and, accordingly, it averages only a few thousand viewers across the day in the U.K.,” 21st Century Fox said in a statement provided to CNN. “We have concluded that it is not in our commercial interest to continue providing Fox News in the U.K.”

While 21st Century Fox said its decision was based on the channel’s inability to attract a considerable audience, critics say it’s actually an attempt to smooth over the media giant’s bid to take over European satellite company Sky. (21st Century Fox owns a controlling stake in Sky PLC, the parent company of the London-headquartered network.)

HuffPost UK reports that if the takeover is successful, it would give Fox mogul Rupert Murdoch access to Sky’s 22 million customers in Europe. This audience would be in addition to those of the three U.K. newspapers ― The Sun, The Times, and The Sunday Times ― that the media mogul already owns.

In June, officials delayed Murdoch’s attempted takeover of the 61 percent of Sky that his family does not currently own. British authorities asked regulators to review the deal to see if the takeover would give the family too much control over the country’s media landscape.

Sky ceased broadcasting Fox News on Tuesday at 4 p.m.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 08:18 am
Axelrod: Trump goes to Texas, doesn't mention victims (CNN)

Quote:
Seated at a table between Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas and first lady Melania Trump, the President launched into a monologue about the epic nature of Harvey -- "Nobody's ever seen anything like this!" -- with hosannas to his team - -and by extension, himself -- for the job they're doing in meeting it.

Turning to FEMA Director Brock Long, Trump gushed, "a man who's really become very famous on television over the last couple of days." And in wrapping up his remarks, he started to congratulate the group for their proficient handling of the storm, even as Houston and the surrounding region continued to be pounded by rain and floods.

Glimpsing the awkward reaction on the faces around him, the President quickly caught himself, adding, "We'll congratulate each other when it's all finished," but leaving little doubt that mutual congratulations eventually would be due.

The President then got a short, pro forma briefing for the benefit of the cameras and the group adjourned.

It appears at this juncture that the administration is working well with state authorities to deal with the crisis, at least as much as Harvey's magnitude allows. Yet, there is another demand the President completely missed.

Startlingly, he did not utter one syllable about those who have lost their lives, their homes or businesses in the floods that are still swelling over southeast Texas, overwhelming the heroic first responders and volunteers who are straining to meet its demands. He had no solace for the tens of thousands of evacuees, some of whom were separated from their families in the storm and are now warehoused in arenas, left to wonder what comes next.
blatham

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 08:20 am
From Vox writer, German Lopez
Quote:
The case against antifa
The anti-fascist movement often deploys violence in its protests — and that could seriously backfire.

emmett grogan

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 08:37 am
@revelette1,
But he did mention the big turnout. Mainly because he didn't get much of a turnout in Phoenix earlier that week.

Don'tcha get it? Its all about little Donnie Trump.
0 Replies

emmett grogan

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 08:45 am
@blatham,
If we keep allowing these hate groups to get away with their outrages like running down people or shooting at them in C'ville, an opposing force will become a last, necessary and only resort.

I am not going to be complicit or compliant if these fascists get to line me or my neighbors up in front of a trench. I am not going to wait till that point to resist it.

I am not going to allow a history to repeat itself by believing that coddling these people with an agenda to wipe out whole classes of our society will somehow keep their plans from fruition.
blatham

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 08:52 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIaLPnwVwAADN8v.jpg

why I love these guys
blatham

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 09:02 am
@emmett grogan,
Quote:
I am not going to be complicit or compliant if these fascists get to line me or my neighbors up in front of a trench.
Of course. But that's not happening. America is nowhere near that point.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 09:03 am
@blatham,
Bravo
0 Replies

emmett grogan

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 09:06 am
@blatham,
Why I am a member. The election really knocked me for a loop. I stayed off line and I was very angry and feeling unrepresented by party. Then I talked with a friend and he told me what he did: he joined the ACLU, the JDL, the NAACP.

I joined the ACLU and Anti-Defamation League And I joined a local antifas group in Austin that also works with prisoners after Charlottesville.
0 Replies

emmett grogan

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 09:12 am
@blatham,
Quote:
America is nowhere near that point.

Neither was Germany during the Beer Hall Putsch. I just watched a good about this last night, "Ship of Fools". I watch it whenever it comes on.

You need to look at how pernicious fascist groups have been in this country. The KKK elected mayors in Akron, Ohio and Milwaukee, Wisconsin among other cities up North.

Trump got elected. David Duke the most recognizable figure of the American radical right, a neo-Nazi, longtime Klan leader and now international spokesman for Holocaust denial won election to Louisiana's House of Representatives and once was nearly elected governor.

Well worth the read:

Anonymous Ku Klux Klan Update: Senators, Mayors Deny Membership, But KKK Members Have Long History Of Holding Elected Office

http://www.ibtimes.com/anonymous-ku-klux-klan-update-senators-mayors-deny-membership-kkk-members-have-long-2166829

We can't allow these guys to be "mainstreamed".

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcoloredfolkstimesdispatch.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F10%2FKlanmen-Marching-in-DC.png&f=1

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.CVZSg_tvOTlcv74ksgnxiADfEY%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fusers.humboldt.edu%2Fogayle%2FKKK%2520March%25201925.jpg&f=1

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.authentichistory.com%2F1921-1929%2F4-resistance%2F2-KKK%2F19250809_Klan_March_on_Washington_version3-Capitol_Steps.jpg&f=1

One of the largest Ku Klux Klan groups in the country has announced a parade to celebrate President-elect Donald Trump's win.

The Loyal White Knights of Pelham, N.C., says on its website that its parade will take place on Dec. 3.

"TRUMP = TRUMP'S RACE UNITED MY PEOPLE," says the website's front page.

No time or location for the event is listed, and a phone call to the number on its website was not returned.

The group has between 150 and 200 members and is "perhaps the most active Klan group in the United States today," according to the Anti-Defamation League. Last year, it was part of a South Carolina protest against the Confederate flag's removal from the state Capitol.

Several Klan groups endorsed Trump. Well-known former Klan leader David Duke, who on Tuesday lost a Senate bid in Louisiana, was also a vocal supporter.

Here's how it went:

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.floridamemory.com%2Ffpc%2Fprints%2FPR77617.jpg&f=1

And this how it begins.
blatham

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 09:16 am
From ProPublica - one and a half years ago
Quote:
Hell and High Water (Full Text)
Houston is the fourth-largest city in the country. It’s home to the nation’s largest refining and petrochemical complex, where billions of gallons of oil and dangerous chemicals are stored. And it’s a sitting duck for the next big hurricane. Why isn’t Texas ready?
Link Here
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 09:20 am
@emmett grogan,
Quote:
Sure. But all the important questions center around how to minimize or curtail growth and influence. As I and the many others I have noted above argue, demonstrations of violence by "antifa" or anarchist extremists in the present moment do not work to help in the effort, they do damage.
ehBeth

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 09:23 am
@emmett grogan,
emmett grogan wrote:

agreed. I think we all have a responsibility to speak up when they are spoken about as if they are normal, as if what they are doing is normal, as if what they are trying to do is normal.

I really have no patience for that way of thinking.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 09:24 am
@hightor,

Quote:
Don’t Be a Heel

Melania Trump stepped into a flood of controversy (I’m sorry):

Melania Trump’s sky-high stilettos are the hardest-working footwear in the White House. The first lady has been known to reach for a minimum four-inch heel rain or shine, and apparently, not even one of the most brutal storms in U.S. history can lead her to change up her footwear. Tuesday morning, FLOTUS was spotted boarding a plane en route to Corpus Christi, Texas, alongside President Donald Trump for a briefing on Hurricane Harvey, and despite light showers in Washington, D.C., and a disastrous storm near her destination, Melania paired her on-trend silky olive bomber jacket and black trousers with five-inch stilettos. . . . Given the catastrophic nature of Harvey, Twitter is alight with critics calling into question Melania’s glamorous departure look. “Not an expert, but are stiletto heels the best footwear for a disaster zone?” wrote one Twitter user. Another referred to FLOTUS as “disaster Barbie.”

She probably didn’t expect to get attacked by the same publications that celebrate heels as signs of empowerment. As Vanity Fair said: “And then there’s Melania. Her aviator sunglasses and army green jacket say, ‘Business,’ and, ‘Let’s get down to business,’ and, ‘Hello, my name is Tom Cruise and I’m here to give you the business.’ The heels scream, ‘Who’s in for brunch?’”

One thing the heels didn’t scream are “feminism,” despite a report just two months ago from the same magazine where they did. VF celebrated Helen Mirren’s brave choice to wear heels in the 1960s; now, the actress says, heels are a staple of the modern feminist.

“What-about”-ism aside, the publications’ criticism come from a frustration with the indignant attitude the heels convey on the First Lady, considering her trip was to visit an area where millions are suffering from major flooding. But, as basic fact checking would reveal, the Trumps didn’t visit a flood area at all:

But Trump’s early trip to the state came with some risk. His predecessors largely avoided landing in places where law enforcement resources — required for any presidential visit — are still being used for search-and-rescue missions. The White House insists it has taken steps to mitigate any drain on local assets as Trump makes stops in Corpus Christi, along the Gulf Coast, and in Austin, the Texas capital. Those stops were designed to keep Trump at a distance from the most devastating damage in and around Houston, which has experienced historic flooding after Hurricane Harvey’s landfall on Friday. “The President wants to be very cautious about making sure that any activity doesn’t disrupt the recovery efforts that are still ongoing,” Sanders told reporters Tuesday morning aboard Air Force One. After Corpus Christi, Trump will head to Austin, Texas to visit an emergency operations center.

In fact, Melania was wearing the heels while boarding the plane. When she arrived in Corpus Christie, she had changed into a button-down, a trendy FLOTUS hat, and, yes, sneakers.

More importantly, though, judging the president by minor quirks in his and his wife’s behavior are irresponsible criticisms. Instead of focusing on his policies — how he’s approaching disaster funding, what impact it will have on the government shutdown — some decided to deride Melania’s fashion choices. And do we really need a media focused on shoes? Heelgate is an example of how detail-focused many in the media have become when covering the president, equating the superficial and the real and ignoring in-depth analysis on merits, choosing instead to judge by emotion.

In fact, Vogue raises a good question by including “The White House’s Continual Failure to Understand Optics” in the headline for their Heelgate report. Why do we care so much about optics? Maybe we should be demanding media organizations that value quality of content over quality of image.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/morning-jolt/450973/hurricane-harvey-slows-government-shutdown?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=170830_Jolt&utm_term=Jolt
snood

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 09:27 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Sure. But all the important questions center around how to minimize or curtail growth and influence. As I and the many others I have noted above argue, demonstrations of violence by "antifa" or anarchist extremists in the present moment do not work to help in the effort, they do damage.

I can agree with you that any instigation of violence in their part is wrong. I just can't totally dismiss reports for instance that antifa provided the only protection for clergy who were being surrounded by nazis in Charlottesville.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 09:35 am
AL LETSON -
INSPIRATIONAL HERO

blatham

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 09:46 am
@snood,
Quote:
I just can't totally dismiss reports for instance that antifa provided the only protection for clergy who were being surrounded by nazis in Charlottesville.

I don't think we should dismiss the value of that activity. In a situation like Charlottesville where the police remained too divorced from active engagement to protect citizens/protesters from violence, then a citizen replacement of the function becomes necessary. But Charlottesville was something of an anomoly in police behavior.

More importantly, I am not indicting anti-fascist activism. I am indicting the minority who, as in Berkeley, initiated violence and those who set out with a goal of provoking violence so they can get in a fight.

I hope that's clear.
izzythepush

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 09:47 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
As I and the many others I have noted above argue, demonstrations of violence by "antifa" or anarchist extremists in the present moment do not work to help in the effort, they do damage.

Do they? They stopped the Nazis murdering people in Boston and San Francisco. I'm reminded of the bit in The Untouchables where Sean Connery says that as the criminals have come out of the sewer the gutter is where they should be.

If the Nazis are scared and constantly looking over their shoulders they're not attacking anyone.
blatham

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 09:54 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
They stopped the Nazis murdering people in Boston and San Francisco.
I'm sorry but I don't know that this is true. In any case, as I said above, a defensive stance may well be necessary in some rare instances. Such behavior isn't the point in question.