monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 05:18 am
From The Collected Odes to the Dear and Blessed Leader
Quote:
Eric Kleefeld‏ @EricKleefeld 21h21 hours ago
Reminder: Of course Trump is against transgender people. When he walks up to grab a pussy, he doesn't want *any* surprises.
blatham

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 05:26 am
It's all about unit cohesion. Pinky swear!
Quote:
Parker Molloy‏Verified account @ParkerMolloy 20h20 hours ago
Cost of trans medical care in military: $2.4-8.4 million est.
Cost the military already spends on boner pills: $84.2 million
oristarA

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 05:27 am
@layman,

Not so optimistic (2):

Quote:
Is Donald Trump Mentally Ill? Part 2 - 5 Professors of Psychiatry Say Donald Trump is “unraveling” and Call on Congress “to remove him from office”
Updated Jul 12, 2017

On November 29, 2016, three distinguished Professors of Psychiatry from Harvard and The University of California decided to defy “The Goldwater Rule”, publicly diagnose Donald Trump and to warn President Obama and the country about what they saw as his severe personality disorders and mental incapacities.

They shared their letter with me and I posted it in an article here in The Huffington Post, “Is Donald Trump Mentally Ill? 3 Professors Of Psychiatry Ask President Obama To Conduct ‘A Full Medical And Neuropsychiatric Evaluation’”

Yesterday these three professors and two additional professors from Yale and Columbia University felt the need to inform The United States Congress that “The signs of the president’s unraveling are stark” and that “The power of the presidency has accentuated Mr. Trump’s failings with devastating effects”.

They urge Congress to “invoke the Constitutional provisions to remove him from office.”

They shared this letter with me and I post it here.

July 11, 2017

To Members of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives:

Since the election of 2016, each of us has warned against President Trump’s alarming psychological instability, which has been apparent in his repeated failures to distinguish between reality and fantasy and his erratic responses to stress and crisis. We were also concerned about his tendency to become enraged at the slightest criticism. See: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-greene/is-donald-trump-mentally_b_13693174.html

The signs of the president’s unraveling are stark, and they are contributing to his inability to govern: his failure to guard against hacking of our elections and related threats to national security, his decimation of the State Department and other vital government agencies, his irrational, unilateral withdrawal from the world’s commitment to prevent catastrophic climate change, his intemperate exploitation of the presidency to enrich himself and his family, his unremitting threats against a free press, his vitriolic verbal assaults against anyone (especially any woman) who questions his actions or state of mind, and his imposition of false narratives whenever the truth casts him in a bad light.

The power of the presidency has accentuated Mr. Trump’s failings with devastating effects. His psychological isolation – including his tenuous relationship to reality – has led to the dangerous isolation of the United States from the rest of the world.

Our Constitution has provisions for removing any president who is unable to discharge the duties of office. For the sake of our country and the world, we urge our elected representatives to summon their courage so that lawful steps can be taken to end the Trump presidency.

Judith L. Herman, M.D., Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School

Robert Jay Lifton, M.D., Professor Emeritus, CUNY, and Lecturer in Psychiatry, Columbia University

Nanette Gartrell, M.D., Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco (1988-2011)

Dee Mosbacher, M.D., Ph.D., Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Community Health Systems, University of California, San Francisco (2005-2013)

Bandy X. Lee, M.D., M.Div., Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Yale School of Medicine.

Contributors to forthcoming book, The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/is-donald-trump-mentally-ill-part-2-5-professors_us_59669d39e4b07b5e1d96ed22

izzythepush

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 05:28 am
@blatham,
Not to mention his lickspittle supporters' fear of finding out that someone born a woman has a much larger cock than they have.

Trump is pandering to the bigoted scum that support him. They don't care whether or not Trump has sold out America to Russia, just as long as they can continue discriminating against LGBT and people of other ethnic minorities.
blatham

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 05:37 am
@izzythepush,
Yes. Modern right wing politics is built upon daily appeals to bigotry.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 05:41 am
Concluding sentence to Ross Douthat's column today
Quote:
This president should not be the president, and the sooner he is not, the better.

Duh.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 05:47 am
Finn made the wry observation that some on the left of the aisle have hypocritically come out in support of Jeff Sessions. I can only speak for myself - I think Sessions is a despicable creature who has done detestable things politically, but I see no hypocrisy in feeling and saying that Sessions is right in this scenario - he is justified to stand up to Trump’s bullying.

But Finn is not alone in seeing bitter irony and hypocrisy being displayed by the pols expressing themselves about this Trump/Sessions flap.

The Republicans saw their candidate make seamy comments about women (“blood coming out of her wherever”), and accepted it.

They saw him brag on recorded video about sexually assaulting women, and accepted it. They saw him demean an American Vietnam Era POW who was a respected sitting Senator, and accepted it.

They saw him insult and dishonor American Gold Star parents, and they accepted it.

They’ve seen him lie again and again before and during being President – from lies about seeing thousands of Muslims cheering the fall of the twin towers, to lies about researchers’ findings about Obama’s origins, to lies in the very first days of his presidency about media falsifying crowd size, to lies about phone taps, to so many lies that the truth has had to take on a pseudo name – “alternate truth”. And they have accepted all of that.

They’ve played it off as his “style”, or they say that the people don’t care, or they make ridiculous false equivalencies to try to mitigate the impact of the lack of character evident in this president.

What do they finally get their dander up about? What offense moves them out of their rationalizations and makes them openly question his judgement?
Trump publicly castigates a rightwing Senator/ AG.

Republicans. I tell you they’ve really got their priorities don’t they?
blatham

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 05:52 am
@snood,
Quote:
Is there anything Republicans won't tolerate from Trump?
Waldman
snood

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 06:12 am
@blatham,
Yup
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 06:28 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

It's all about unit cohesion. Pinky swear!
Quote:
Parker Molloy‏Verified account @ParkerMolloy 20h20 hours ago
Cost of trans medical care in military: $2.4-8.4 million est.
Cost the military already spends on boner pills: $84.2 million

This transgender thing doesn't make any sense. What is Trump thinking here? Is this some move to get Conservatives back on his side after the attack he's put on Sessions?

And why would he do this so haphazardly? The pentagon didn't know this was coming. It's a level of incompetence I didn't expect. Trump is beating my expectations regularly I suppose.
maporsche

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 07:10 am
So Trump is out there attacking republicans on Twitter again after the healthcare failures the last 2 days. This can't be good for his party (well, at least the party that he's claiming to be part of the last couple years).

Not that this would happen (chances are about 0.01%), but I'm just curious. What if the 3 most moderate republicans decided to switch parties? Could the democrats take over control of the senate if that were to happen/
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 07:18 am
@maporsche,
It's odd that he also used the cost of medical care as part of his justification. All studies on this 7,000-16,000 transgender population has the cost of medical care around 8.0 million dollars in total.

A single F35 plane costs 94.6 million dollars and the military has plans to purchase a total of 2,700 of them.

Maybe buy 1 less plane and take care of more of our soldiers, including these transgender ones.
snood

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 07:29 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
What is Trump thinking here?...
And why would he do this so haphazardly?

Why do people keep asking this type of question about what Trump does?
It seems as if no matter how many times he proves he's erratic, impulsive and in way over his head, people keep scratching their heads and asking what is his strategy - his plan - the method to his madness? He does whatever feels right in the moment. Just because that was enough for fools to elect him, doesn't mean he has a ******* clue about anything.
izzythepush

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 07:30 am
@maporsche,
It's a load of old bollocks, Trump is pandering to bigots because they're the only ones still supporting him.
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 07:41 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Quote:
What is Trump thinking here?...
And why would he do this so haphazardly?

Why do people keep asking this type of question about what Trump does?
It seems as if no matter how many times he proves he's erratic, impulsive and in way over his head, people keep scratching their heads and asking what is his strategy - his plan - the method to his madness? He does whatever feels right in the moment. Just because that was enough for fools to elect him, doesn't mean he has a ******* clue about anything.

I get that snood. Like I said, sometimes he can still surprise me.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 07:46 am
@layman,
You could be right but if it takes public embarrassment to get your AG to do something that is without question legit, like plugging leaks, then he should be fired and I'd have no problem with it.

It may be that he thinks this will induce Sessions to agree to fire Mueller, but if so, then he is desperate, but that may be exactly where he is, because whether Sessions is fired or resigns he's going to have to get his next AG past the Senate and they will demand the nominee pledge he won't fire Mueller. Just read something that suggested Trump was thinking of using a recess appointment to get a new AG appointed. If he pulls something like that it will be a disaster and will only serve to convince a lot of people (including probably me) that he does have something to hide. I still don't think there was collusion with Russia but this business began when the word came out that Mueller might be investing Trump's business. Now I think that would be overreach by Mueller, but that won't matter if he finds something.

No matter what is going on the Resistance smells blood in the water and it's Trump who is dumping in chum.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 07:51 am
@snood,
Not sure why you would get down votes for an honest admission and question. Glad Roger answered as I wondering the same.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 07:57 am
@layman,
Excellent job of debunking this quackery. The Resistance long ago evidenced that they have jettisoned all objectivity and skepticism when it comes to anything negative being said or written about Trump.

They love these arm chair psychoanalyses...or at least the ones that indicate conservatives are psychotic.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 08:00 am
@blatham,
That's actually clever
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 08:08 am
Quote:
For decades leading up to President Trump’s Wednesday tweets announcing a ban on transgender people in the military, the businessman-turned-politician has approached the LGBT community on nonideological terms.

Trump’s relationships with LGBT people, and his evolving positions on issues, have been transactional, according to people who have interacted with him, focused largely on how the community might affect his interests in the moment.

Only a year ago, candidate Trump presented himself as a social liberal seeking to move the Republican Party left on gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender rights.

He vowed that he would do more than Democrat Hillary Clinton to protect LGBT people. He defended the rights of Caitlyn Jenner, the country’s most well-known transgender advocate, to use whichever bathroom she wanted in Trump Tower. And he added “Q” to his discussion of the “LGBTQ community” in his Republican National Convention speech to show he was in the know.

“People are people to me, and everyone should be protected,” he told The Washington Post in a May 2016 interview.

But circumstances have been changing since Trump entered the White House.

While his staff has met with LGBT advocates and he has hired several New Yorkers who have supported LGBT rights in the past, Trump’s administration has taken positions more in tune with the president’s social conservative base. It has quietly rolled back protections for transgender schoolchildren, removed information about LGBT rights from the White House website and declined to recognize LGBT Pride Month in June.

Trump’s tweets on Wednesday delivered yet another a victory to the political right — including many House Republicans whose support he needs for his policy agenda — while surprising many Republican LGBT activists who had hoped he would end the culture war within the party.

Those familiar with Trump say his stances aren’t contradictory, but rather illustrate the consistency of his instincts to shape his views depending on the moment.

“I don’t believe Donald Trump has an personal animus toward LGBT individuals,” said Gregory T. Angelo, president of the Log Cabin Republicans, which represents gay conservatives and allies. “This smacks of politics, pure and simple.”

Angelo, who once labeled Trump the “most pro-LGBT Republican nominee in history,” said there seems to be a political calculation that reigniting the transgender rights debate will help galvanize conservative voters in the 2018 elections and expand GOP majorities in Congress. A more conservative Congress would allow Trump to achieve more legislative victories, such as his coveted border wall with Mexico or erasing President Barack Obama’s health-care overhaul.

“If you think you’re going to repeal and replace Obamacare by using LGBT soldiers as a political football, you’ve got another thing coming,” Angelo said.

The White House on Wednesday sought to portray Trump’s announcement as a narrow policy matter and not a reflection of the president’s personal views toward the transgender community.

When asked if this means the president will also reconsider allowing transgender individuals to serve in his administration, Trump spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said no, adding that the ban was a “decision based on what was best for the military and military cohesion.” She denied that decision was politically motivated.

More at WP
0 Replies