monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Baldimo

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 10:30 am
@farmerman,
Over 60% of Americans had no issues with their health insurance or health care prior to the ACA. It was a myth that the majority of Americans were unhappy with the system they had.
Below viewing threshold (view)
old europe

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 10:35 am
@layman,
Isn't it amazing how Trump supporters have to re-litigate the past?

Imagine this kind of whataboutism under Barack Obama - if Obama supporters had, nine months after the election, been routinely saying "but what about this thing Mitt Romney did seven years ago, which is, if you think about it, in some kind of way vaguely similar to the current ****-up by the President?"

And of course, it's not just random Trump supporters on the internet. This whataboutism is being pushed by Fox News (where layman found this article), by Breitbart, by complete crazies like Alex Jones, by conservative talk radio nuts, by people in the Trump administration and campaign, and, most ridiculously, by the President of the United States of America in his official statements and speeches.

No matter how Trump happens to **** up on a particular day of the week, there's always a "but what about Hillary Clinton" talking point to rile up the base. Very presidential.
layman

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 10:38 am
@old europe,
This whole "russia collusion" bullshit really boils down to the cheese-eaters wondering "How could Hillary possibly lose?"

Maybe THEY would be better off looking to the past for the obvious answers to that ridiculous question, as the American voters did, know what I'm sayin?
0 Replies

old europe

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 10:41 am
@Baldimo,
Taking this number at face value, that would still mean that there were more than 120 million people in the country who did have an issue with their health insurance or health care prior to the ACA.

That's hardly what a functioning health care system looks like.
layman

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 10:48 am
Kinda curious that, according to Leaky Jimmy Comey, he was the ONLY other person in the room when Trump was told about the Steele dossier, and yet the fact that Trump had just been briefed on it was reported by CNN the very next day, know what I'm sayin?

And, within hours of that "lead-in" by CNN, Buzzfeed published the entire dossier. According to Steele, only a very few people had a copy of it. One of them was John McCain, who said he gave it to Comey.

Comey told congress that this was his first meeting with Trump, and that, because he believed Trump would lie, he took copious notes about it on a classified government computer, which he later took with him. He never did that with Obama, he said. He had never had any dealings with Trump before. I wonder why he thought Trump would "lie" about such a briefing, eh? Sounds like he had some pretty strong preconceptions about the Donald.
camlok

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 11:06 am
@Baldimo,
But all the commie military folks loved their secure little bunny hugs.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 11:07 am
I haven't heard CNN make this obvious observation, for some damn reason:

Quote:
If ‘dodgy dossier’ accusation true, Trump Jr. would have no reason to meet with Russian lawyer

“If the Trumps actually had a long-standing relationship with the Russian intelligence services and were regularly receiving information on Hillary Clinton — this is one of the claims in the Steele dossier — there would be no reason to accept a meeting with an unknown lawyer who claimed to have compromising information,” Larry Johnson, a former CIA officer and State Department counterintelligence official, told The Washington Times.

“If I’m friends with the owners of the Washington Nationals and getting box seat tickets from them, why would I go out on the street and buy tickets from a scalper? It just does not make sense.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/16/donald-trump-jrs-meeting-with-russians-undermines-/
lmur

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 11:08 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

I wonder why he thought Trump would "lie" about such a briefing, eh?

Yep. A real chin-scratcher, that.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 11:15 am
@layman,
Nor have I seen them express any of these concerns, as expressed by Michael Morell, a "Clinton loyalist," who was Obama's acting CIA director:

Quote:
“I have subsequently learned that he used intermediaries,” Mr. Morell said in March at conference sponsored by Cipher Brief. “And then I asked myself, ‘Why did these guys provide this information? What was their motivation?’ And I subsequently learned that he paid them, that the intermediaries paid the sources and the intermediaries got the money from Chris.

And that kind of worries me a little bit because if you’re paying somebody, particularly former FSB officers, they are going to tell you truth and innuendo and rumor, and they’re going to call you up and say, ‘Hey, let’s have another meeting. I have more information for you.’ I think you’ve got to take all that into consideration when you consider the dossier.”
0 Replies

old europe

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 11:21 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
I wonder why he thought Trump would "lie" about such a briefing, eh?

Yeah, it's a fricking mystery.
layman

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 11:35 am
@old europe,
Good old boy James "Lordy" Comey also testified that Lynch had been fatally compromised by her tarmac meeting with Bill Clinton and that any announcement by her that Hillary would not be prosecuted would be "politically suspect." Of course there was also the email where a Clinton campaign official said he had received assurances from Lynch that the Clinton investigation would go nowhere. For this reason, he took it upon himself to usurp DOJ authority and make the announcement himself, to cover for Lynch.

That way, there can be no concerns about a "political" decision, see!? Jimmy, despite his extensive past ties to Obama and Clinton, could NEVER be politically suspect. My God, he's the head of the incorruptible FBI, just like J. Edgar Hoover, after all!

And of course he proved he's incorruptible when he allowed his Deputy, McCabe, to offer Steele $50,000+ of taxpayer money to continue his "good work" against Trump. Only a true patriot would do that.
0 Replies

old europe

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 11:51 am
Meanwhile, today's news in the "Trump & Co. are meeting dubious Russians" category:

Quote:
Eighth person in Trump Tower meeting is identified

An American-based employee of a Russian real estate company took part in a June 2016 Trump Tower meeting between a Russian lawyer and Donald Trump Jr., bringing to eight the number of known participants at the session that has emerged as a key focus of the investigation of the Trump campaign’s interactions with Russians.

Ike Kaveladze’s presence was confirmed by Scott Balber, an attorney for Emin and Aras Agalarov, the Russian developers who hosted the Trump-owned Miss Universe pageant in 2013. Balber said Kaveladze works for the Agalarovs’ company and attended as their representative.

Balber said Tuesday that he received a phone call from a representative of Special Counsel Robert Mueller over the weekend requesting the identity of the Agalarov representative, which he said he provided. The request is the first public indication that Mueller’s team is investigating the meeting.

Donald Trump Jr. agreed to take the meeting on the promise that he would be provided damaging information about Hillary Clinton as part of a Russian government effort to help his father’s presidential campaign, according to emails released by Trump Jr. last week.

[...]

At current count, this brings the number of Russians participating in the Trump Tower meeting to four: Natalia Veselnitskaya, Anatoli Samochornov, Rinat Akhmetshin, and Irakly "Ike" Kaveladze.

Irakly Kaveladze is the same person implicated in this story from 2000:

Quote:
Laundering Of Money Seen as 'Easy'

A Congressional inquiry has found that it is ''relatively easy'' for foreigners to hide their identities and form shell companies here that can launder money through American banks.

In a a nine-month inquiry that subpoenaed bank records, the investigators found that an unknown number of Russians and other East Europeans moved more than $1.4 billion through accounts at Citibank of New York and the Commercial Bank of San Francisco.

The accounts had been opened by Irakly Kaveladze, who immigrated to the United States from Russia in 1991, according to Citibank and Mr. Kaveladze. He set up more than 2,000 corporations in Delaware for Russian brokers and then opened the bank accounts for them, without knowing who owned the corporations, according to the report by the General Accounting Office, which has not been made public.

[...]

In an interview, Mr. Kaveladze said he had engaged in no wrongdoing. He described the G.A.O. investigation as a ''witch hunt.''

The G.A.O. report said nothing about the sources of the money. In view of past investigations into laundering, this wave was highly likely to have arisen from Russian executives who were seeking to avoid taxes, although some money could be from organized crime.

[...]

Interesting guy. Wonder what he had to say to Trump's son, Trump's son-in-law, and Trump's campaign manager.

Of course, all of this also confirms that the Special Counsel investigation is actively looking into the Trump Tower meeting.
layman

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 11:57 am
@old europe,
Quote:
At current count, this brings the number of Russians participating in the Trump Tower meeting to four: Natalia Veselnitskaya, Anatoli Samochornov, Rinat Akhmetshin, and Irakly "Ike" Kaveladze.

All of whom came for the purpose of trying to extract concessions from Junior regarding the lifting russian sanctions, which Junior flatly refused to give, eh? The fools should have brought $500,000 cash in suitcases with them, like they did with Hillary. That might have accomplished the trick again, who knows?

They probably thought that would be a bad and unnecessary expenditure, since they had probably already given Hillary several more million and figured she would be the one actually elected. Investing a few minutes into a meeting with Junior cost them nothing, as a hedge, though.
ehBeth

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 12:02 pm
@old europe,
some friends in my 'American conservatives with connections' circle suggest this is the one to pay attention to

old europe wrote:
Rinat Akhmetshin
0 Replies

camlok

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 12:07 pm
@layman,
How come you never talk about Trump believing and saying that bombs had to have been used to bring down the twin towers, layman? You're not afeared, are ya?
layman

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 12:16 pm
@camlok,
You mean this, where he said he thought the planes might have also had bombs, and not just fuel, on them?

What about it?
camlok

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 12:20 pm
@layman,
My question was,

How come you are too frightened to discuss it, layman?

How come big, brave Americans are afraid to discuss it?
layman

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 12:24 pm
@camlok,
What's to discuss, fool? About what Trump said, I mean. I don't want to hear your never-ending 9/11 conspiracy theories again.
camlok

Tue 18 Jul, 2017 12:28 pm
@layman,
I knew you were too frightened, layman. Land of the cowards!

Carry on with your regularly scheduled bullshit!
0 Replies