monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
DrewDad

Fri 14 Jul, 2017 02:55 pm
@glitterbag,
...banking regulations, public education, rural electrification, food safety standards, drug safety and efficacy standards....
0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 14 Jul, 2017 03:31 pm
@glitterbag,
Ah, the old "You didn't build that" routine...
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 14 Jul, 2017 03:45 pm
@glitterbag,
I remember my mother wanting the government to pay for catholic schools. Both my mother and father were moderately politically interested in not all the same ways, but all that has something to do with my own interests over my time as a grownup.
Essentially, my dad was the convincing one, and no, that was her view only.

Anyway, that was her opinion, reasonable to her. The was when I was still catholic myself, mid high school time I think, but disagreed. I think I remember not arguing, as arguing was a sin back then (50's). Of course it wasn't a sin, just that group of Sisters' view.
ossobucotemp

Fri 14 Jul, 2017 03:48 pm
@snood,
Made me laugh..
0 Replies

jcboy

Fri 14 Jul, 2017 05:50 pm
Republicans have written a new health care (tax cut for top 2 percent) law that exempts themselves and gives themselves better health care than you, paid for on your dime. Too bad some people just don't vote smarter!

Senate Republicans exempt own health coverage from part of latest proposal

Quote:
This exemption could have the effect of ensuring that members of Congress have coverage for a wider array of benefits than other Americans who purchase their own coverage.

A Senate Republican aide confirmed that the exemption existed but was unable to comment as to the specific effect it would have. The aide said it was included to ensure that the bill hewed to the chamber’s strict reconciliation rules that limit the policies this health bill can include.

The exemption is similar to the one that existed in the House health bill. After Vox reported on its existence, the House voted to close the loophole — and the Senate aide expected their chamber to follow the same path.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/jzN0F9jLc7Egflzd161-_akjgKE=/0x0:3000x1981/920x613/filters:focal(1260x751:1740x1231)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/55698421/813944500.0.jpg
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 14 Jul, 2017 09:57 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I don't remember the Parish hoping to get the State to pay our tuition, but I remember the nuns pitching us to go home and tell our parents to vote for bus transportation. I must have been in 3rd grade but it still chapped my cheeks that a nun would attempt to influence the vote. Holy Trinity was the first Catholic School in the County and the students lived in all four corners of the county. My parents paid for my tuition, books, (raffle tickets) but we didn't use the bus service (it was expensive, not convenient and my Dad was already working 2 jobs to make ends meet). What does stick out, was the parish's rationale.....the company line was, the Diocese could just close the schools and dump the kids into the public school system...and that would cost the govt a great deal more that the cheaper version of just transportation. ...Even as a 9 year old, I thought that was a bullshit story.....The Church was not going to close the schools and I didn't like the idea of a bluff....it didn't seem fair to me that the taxpayers should have to pay to send Catholic kids to Catholic schools and also pay for the public school transportation. I don't recall my parents opinion on the issue, but I doubt they supported the idea of tax funded private buses.

Some Catholic families have raised irreverence to an art form.
That doesn't mean they ignore the church, they just snicker when it becomes 'more pious than thou'. Catholics used to know the best catholic jokes, because we heard them from the priests and the cool priests were really cool...the monsignor, wasn't cool...he had a gigantic stick up his butt all the time.

I will not support any notion of using tax payer money to support a Church, tuition to attend a parochial school, pay for inaccurate history or science text books or distribute bibles or korans or torahs....but I think it's wonderful for the church/temple/mosque to raise money to support their religious and social goals...they are tax exempt.....so let them operate on their own, raise money with their own congregations and lets honor the separation of church and state...in the manner our sainted founding fathers intended and then specified in the sacred CONSTITUTION.

layman

Fri 14 Jul, 2017 10:35 pm
Even WaPo knows better than to try to claim criminal liability for Trump, and instead just wants to rail on, as always, about a "lack of character:"

Quote:
Donald Trump Jr.’s Russia meeting may have been legal.

The revelation that Donald Trump Jr. met with a Russian lawyer to try to obtain incriminating information about Hillary Clinton has sparked another round of analysis on the technicalities of criminal law. On this front, the criminal code shouldn’t be the only yardstick.

Lawyers for Trump administration officials insist that their clients didn’t break any laws at the meeting with Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya in June 2016. But merely following the law is the least we expect of anyone in our society. The question isn’t whether Kushner or others broke the law in meeting with Veselnitskaya.

On this point, we can’t count on the results of the special counsel to provide the answer. Mueller’s inquiry will be limited to actions that crossed the threshold of criminality, which is a very narrow question.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2017/07/11/donald-trump-jr-s-russia-meeting-may-have-been-legal-but-thats-a-low-bar/?utm_term=.de72a34b934f

Despite constant pretenses to the contrary, cheese-eaters aint very good at understanding the law. They are, however, avid practitioners of moral lecturing--they do it 24/7--so Wapo is smart in sticking to that.

0 Replies

layman

Fri 14 Jul, 2017 10:41 pm
@glitterbag,
If ya need someone to raise money for the catlicks, then what ya need is the Blues Brothers, eh?:

0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 12:01 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You guys are desperate... She received a fake NSA document, and she reported that she received a fake NSA document. What seems to be the problem?
izzythepush

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 03:10 am
Drip drip drip.

Quote:
A former Soviet counter-intelligence official attended a meeting last year with senior aides to President Donald Trump and his son, it has emerged.
Rinat Akhmetshin, now a lobbyist, confirmed to US media he was present at the Trump Tower encounter.
Donald Trump Jr was promised damaging material on Hillary Clinton at the meeting, his emails show.
Mr Trump Jr has only previously acknowledged that a Russian lawyer, Natalia Veselnitskaya, was present.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40611619<br />
izzythepush

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 03:19 am
@izzythepush,
Same link as above, more on the bloke who attended fartboy's meeting.
Quote:
Who is Rinat Akhmetshin?
Mr Akhmetshin told the AP news agency he served in a Soviet military unit that was part of counterintelligence, but that he was never formally trained as a spy.
In court papers filed in 2015 with the US District Court in Washington DC, where he lives, a mining company accused him of organising a hack on its private records as part of an alleged smear campaign.
International Mineral Resources hired a private investigator to follow Mr Akhmetshin to London.
The Russian-American was overheard in a coffee shop bragging about arranging the cyber-attack on the firm's computer system, according to court documents.
Mr Akhmetshin denied the allegations, and the case was later dropped.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov says the Russian government knows nothing about Mr Akhmetshin, the AP reported.
Mr Akhmetshin told the Washington Post he became a US citizen in 2009 but retains his Russian nationality.
He is a registered lobbyist who has focused in recent years on overturning the 2012 US Magnitsky Act.
The law, which froze the assets of senior Russian officials, angered President Vladimir Putin.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 03:44 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
You guys are desperate...

"Desperate" hardly begins to describe the behavior of our resident rightists as the details of the Trump administration's incompetence and perfidy steadily leak into the public sphere.

A few months ago they were gloating over their "bigger than Watergate" scandal. Which apparently had something to do with Obama ordering the wiretapping Trump Tower and something about Susan Rice eventually going to prison. Oh yeah, heads were going to roll. For sure!

And while we waited for justice to take its course we were treated to an unrelenting parade of cheap memes with unflattering pictures and scurrilous stories about...Hillary Clinton! Wow. Hard-hitting stuff indeed. Plenty of crap about her husband "Slikkk's" infidelities too, you know, just to kick a dead horse a few more times.

And then we have the obsession with finding every intemperate or stupid remark made by critics of Mr. Trump, publicizing them, and holding them up to the world as examples of typically unhinged leftist criticism. "Look what this asshole said! Gotcha!" Yet, taken in the context of contemporary political discourse and American culture in general these insults and threats are hardly even newsworthy. So some obscure politician in a backwater state posts a drunken diatribe on Facebook — what a stunning indictment of every Democrat! The genuine "party of hate" is revealed for all to see. So uncivil!

And now it seems that Rachel Maddow received a fake NSA document and mentioned it, possibly exaggerating its significance. How earthshaking is that, eh? Gotcha! Again! Mr. Trump's misstatements, the cascade of criticism from both the left and the right on the behavior of his staff, and the general disarray in the GOP-controlled government pale in comparison. "Nothing here folks. Now, what's behind the third door? — Bill Klinton!!!"
snood

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 05:43 am
@hightor,
Bravo
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 06:16 am
From Michael Gerson
Quote:
An administration without a conscience
...The ultimate explanation for this toxic moral atmosphere is President Trump himself. He did not attend the meeting, but he is fully responsible for creating and marketing an ethos in which victory matters more than character and real men write their own rules. Trumpism is an easygoing belief system that indulges and excuses the stiffing of contractors, the conning of students, the bilking of investors, the exploitation of women and the practices of nepotism and self-dealing. A faith that makes losing a sin will make cheating a sacrament.
WP That final line is a very bright observation. But Michael needs to extend his understanding and indictment to include the modern party itself, not just this Trump crowd. The rat-******* of the Nixon crowd, the strategies of the Bush "Brooks Brothers Riot and Newt Gingrich, voter suppression, the propaganda of right wing media along with much more most poignantly the current near-unwavering support for Trump by GOP politicos and leadership all are instances of principle murdered by the over-riding quest to win.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 06:24 am
From Jennifer Rubin
Quote:
...Let me suggest the real problem is not the Trump family, but the GOP.

...It’s a party as unfit to govern as Trump is unfit to occupy the White House. It’s not by accident that Trump chose to inhabit the party that has defined itself in opposition to reality and to any “external moral truth or ethical code.”

WP
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 06:34 am
As one more piece of evidence that the conservative movement has descended into the utterly despicable
Quote:
Dennis Prager‏Verified account
@DennisPrager
The news media in the West pose a far greater danger to Western civilization than Russia does.
10:55 AM - 14 Jul 2017
0 Replies

jcboy

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 06:34 am
Like a slow motion train wreck!

Watching the Downfall of a Presidency in Real Time

Quote:
After Donald Trump Jr.’s constantly shifting explanations for his meeting with a Kremlin-connected Russian lawyer, we now know that he, Jared Kushner, and Paul Manafort were eager to receive incriminating information about Hillary Clinton that was offered as “part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump.” Is this the smoking gun investigators have been waiting for?
There will be no single smoking gun that will bring down this White House. It will be death by firing squad — or perhaps a sequence of firing squads — as the whole story inexorably pours out of the administration’s smoldering ruins. This week’s bombshell has the feel of gallows humor. Trump Jr.’s panicked release of the self-incriminating emails is tantamount to picking up a loaded gun and shooting himself in the head. Why did Little Donald not do what the Trumps always do in these situations — let the press (in this case the Times) go ahead and report its incriminating findings, rail against leakers, and then dismiss the latest incontrovertible evidence of wrongdoing as “fake news”? Was Little Donald trying to protect his father from even worse revelations? To take down his brother-in-law even as his brother-in-law (a possible source of the emails) tried to take down him? To deliver a message from or to the Kremlin?

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/12/12-donald-trump-jr-rnc.w710.h473.jpg
snood

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 07:50 am
@jcboy,
I hope the writer is correct that the GOP/Trump downfall is inevitable. I have serious doubt - doubt that's been nurtured by how much they've already gotten away with. I marvel at the right's capacity for tolerance of the manifest rottenness being displayed. You can still count on just one hand the Republicans who will even acknowledge that even if not illegal, collusion with the Russians is unethical, immoral and unpatriotic.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 07:59 am
@Olivier5,
And you guys have lost your sense of humor and ability to laugh at your own. It's neither a problem of a big deal. It's funny, and worthy of mockery.