monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 01:03 pm
@snood,
They are all biased in one way or the other; so I take them all with a grain of salt.

snood

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 01:13 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You dismiss WaPo, CNN and NYT as proven to be not credible (NYT you only suggested). Do you not rank any outlet as at least more credible? Surely you wouldn't dismiss them all in the same way.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 01:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Citing WaPo as a source is ridiculous.
Well, I cite the sources of my quotes, whatever others think about the credibility of those sources.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 01:26 pm
@snood,
Don't call me Shirley.

I dismiss them all, and some more than others.

Is that really so hard to understand?
Below viewing threshold (view)
maporsche

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 02:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

This is not about you or other A2K members, this is about the Washington Elite.....they had a choice to make, either try to govern through Trump which in part means to try to help him out because do the best they count for America given the situation was the most important thing, or they could "RESIST!" and get Trump out of town ASAP. They had made their choice by the first of Feb. But they have been unable to get the job done.

1) If by Washington elite you mean the MSM, then I'm sure their primary goal is selling papers, advertisements, and getting internet clicks. That's about all that matters and that's why literally everything that can be a scandal or implied scandal is blown up, no matter who is president.

2) Who do you think isn't trying to govern through Trump where they can? Do you expect the democrats to vote to repeal Obamacare? They've been completely locked out of all the healthcare deliberations by both the house and the senate. This is in STARK contrast to when Obamacare was written and debated for over a year. I will agree with you (if I can assume your position) that the filibuster of Neil Gorsuch was a pretty bold and largely un-defendable position....had it not been preceded by the Merrick Garland largely un-defendable position taken by the Republicans.

3) I see a few politicians calling for a Trump impeachment. I don't think they'd actually go through with this if they had the power. It's kinda what the minority party does all the time though isn't it? When you don't have the power to do anything in congress, you ramp up your rhetoric and then when you get power, and your votes and talk actually matter...you usually act more restrained. See the Obamacare repeal vote for a recent example. The house voted to straight-repeal the bill something like 50 times when the knew that their vote would go absolutely nowhere. Once they had power and their votes and words meant something...well, we have the flawed bills we see now.
snood

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 02:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Don't call me Shirley.

I dismiss them all, and some more than others.

Is that really so hard to understand?

Who do you rely on for your information?
revelette1

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 02:24 pm
Quote:
Nicholas Kristof: The Trumps Embraced a Russian Plot

The astonishing email just released by Donald Trump Jr., setting up the meeting last year with a Russian lawyer, is devastating for the White House. Above all, it underscores that the Trump family knew of a secret Russian campaign to interfere in the American election — and embraced it.

Read the whole email exchange, but here’s the key paragraph: “The Crown prosecutor of Russia … offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father. This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump.”

This passage undermines the Trump and White House position in three crucial ways — not attributed to vague “sources” but in black and white documentary form. Here’s what the email does:

1. It shows that the Russian government was behind the effort. This is the Kremlin, not random Russians.

2. The Russian government is offering “sensitive” information and “official documents” that would incriminate Hillary Clinton. The clear implication is that this material is stolen by spies, probably hacked, for how else would the Russian government have it?

3. The offer is part of a pattern of the Russian “government’s support for Mr. Trump.

Put these three points together, and it’s clear from the email that the Russian government has picked sides and is trying to secretly affect the outcome of the American presidential race by providing stolen information about a former secretary of state. For months, the Trumps have been publicly doubting that the Russian government interfered in the U.S. election, when Donald Trump Jr. had email evidence of this effort in June 2016.

The moment he got this email, Donald Trump Jr. should have called the F.B.I. That’s what the Al Gore campaign did in 2000 when it received a Bush campaign briefing booklet. It’s one thing to do opposition research; everybody does that. It’s another thing to use stolen information secretly provided by a rival nation where journalists and dissidents end up dead.

Instead of calling the F.B.I., Donald Trump Jr. responded “I love it.”

He then summoned Jared Kushner and Paul Manafort to join the meeting. In other words, informed of a covert Russian effort to use espionage to interfere with the U.S. election, he embraced it.

I don’t know whether this is criminal. I do know that it’s disgraceful.

This is also arguably “soft collusion,” acceptance of a foreign power’s interference in an election for one’s own benefit. Whether there was a quid pro quo and “hard collusion,” we’ll have to see. We do have the outlines of a quid pro quo, in which each side was signalling what it wanted: The Trump campaign wanted dirt on the Clintons, and Russia wanted an easing of sanctions if Trump was elected.

After this meeting, the Trumps or the White House denied at least eight times that such a meeting had taken place. That is duplicity on top of collusion.

Nobody should be heartened by this. It’s a sad day for the country.

NYT
0 Replies

old europe

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 02:46 pm
Quote:
The ‘Did Trump’s Campaign Collude’ Debate Is Over. The Only Question Now Is How Much.

Not long ago, it was fashionable for pundits to assert there was no evidence that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia. That line was shaky at the time, and has been quickly blown to smithereens. We have gone from evidence of collusion to proof, with emails establishing the campaign’s clear interest in accepting Moscow’s help to win the election.

This is a very simple test of the common English understanding of the term “collusion.” Your campaign is told that Russia wants to help you win the election. (“This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump.”) If you refuse to take the meeting, or perhaps take it only to angrily tell your interlocutor you want no part of the project, then it isn’t collusion. If you take the meeting on the proposed terms, you are colluding. If somehow the information on offer turned out to have no value, and the contacts went no farther, then the meeting was ineffectual collusion. But Donald Trump Jr.’s response clearly indicates that he accepted the meeting in order to collude. (“If it’s what you say I love it.”)

This is the scope of the unresolved question now. How much collusion happened?

[...]
blatham

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 03:17 pm
@old europe,
Yup.
Quote:
Philip Bump at the Post just flagged this Trump speech from June 7th, four days after Rob Goldstone’s first contact with Don Jr and two days before the meeting at Trump Tower on June 9th.

Trump promises big news about Hillary Clinton’s crimes in a speech on “probably” June 13th.”
See video at TPM here
0 Replies

Real Music

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 03:43 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
Not long ago, it was fashionable for pundits to assert there was no evidence that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia. That line was shaky at the time, and has been quickly blown to smithereens. We have gone from evidence of collusion to proof, with emails establishing the campaign’s clear interest in accepting Moscow’s help to win the election.
I suspect there will be more damaging evidence coming out. Only time will tell. The bigger the fish, the longer it takes to finish an investigation. When you go after really big fish with a lot of players and moving parts, an investigation can take many months and sometimes years.
snood

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 03:49 pm
@Real Music,
Watergate took two years to take full effect from June '72 when the burglars were arrested to August '74 when Nixon resigned.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 04:56 pm
@snood,
I cross reference

You should try it
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 05:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

Hardly a rational response. Enjoy your pouting.

Tut, tut, tut, harrumph, (clears throat loudly). tut tut sputter (adjusts monocle), tut tut tut checks pocket watch, puffs on prized Calabash, chortles dryly, heaves amused sigh, takes a deep draw from the Calabash, leans back and attempts to blow smoke rings into the rarified air.

Tres amusant, merci mon bon ami

And a titter ran thru the crowd

I warned you george! Smile

Well it does provide an interesting insight into her preconceptions. Moreover it was better written than her usual stuff. I'm more amused than anything else.
nimh

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 05:54 pm
@layman,
In the quotes posted in that link, neither Buffet nor Gates said anything whatsoever that involved "prais[ing] the job" Trump "has done as President so far", as the post claimed. Let alone giving him "full support of his job as President". Like, literally nothing.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 06:47 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
It turns out there is a crime to go to a meeting with a foreign national accepting a thing of value.

I think that is unlikely.

revelette1 wrote:
The fact that he failed to get that thing of value because the foreign national might play a factor in it, I don't know. But Trump Jr (and Kushner and Monafort) attempted to break federal election law.

Doubtful.

revelette1 wrote:
Quote:
11 CFR 110.20 - Prohibition on contributions, donations, expenditures, independent expenditures, and disbursements by foreign nationals (52 U.S.C. 30121, 36 U.S.C. 510).

(b)Contributions and donations by foreign nationals in connection with elections. A foreign national shall not, directly or indirectly, make a contribution or a donation of money or other thing of value, or expressly or impliedly promise to make a contribution or a donation, in connection with any Federal, State, or local election.

Cornel Law School

That might be trouble for any Russians had they offered something of value to the Trump Campaign. Fortunately for them though they didn't offer anything of value.

It does not however prohibit anyone in the Trump campaign from accepting something of value (not that anything of value was actually exchanged).
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 06:49 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
From what I read of it, the act Trump Jr attempted is against federal election law written up as statutes. (I think, in any case, pretty sure it illegal)

Unlikely that there is any law (or federal regulation) against anything that Trump Jr. did.

revelette1 wrote:
I have the suspicion you are attempting to throw another red herring into the debate in a dishonest attempt to discredit me. It works.

What he was doing was pointing out facts that contradict your claims. That is a legitimate messageboard tactic.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 06:53 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Well, I think I have been giving you more of my time than you deserve, your only purpose is to try and find some small meaningless mistake I may have made and get me tangled in knots (without disproving the main point), which is not hard to do. I am finished with you, please do not respond to any of my post because I will not be responding to you.

You've reacted the same way in the past when I was the one who pointed out facts that proved you wrong. I suggest that "acceptance of reality" would be a more effective response.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 06:54 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Michael Gerhardt, a law professor who testified in President Bill Clinton’s impeachment hearings, said Trump’s most likely offense could have been violating a federal election law against soliciting something “of value” from foreign nationals.

I'd be interested in seeing a cite of this alleged law.

revelette1 wrote:
So, if Veselnitskaya actually had what she said she had and Trump took it and used it by revealing it to the press, then he would have broke federal election law. As it is, not sure.

I doubt that such a law exists.
0 Replies