The meaning of "attitude" in the following paragraph

layman

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 07:17 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

To answer your question, I take him as misogynist at first glance and I'm not interested in more glances, but I don't know the guy. Maybe he is a provocateur. Re the word misogynist - I some times think it means different things to different people.

OK, that's an interesting take, even if somewhat ambiguous.

If you, as a woman, were asked to advise men about what women generally find "attractive," would you have any advice? Is there any particular thing(s) like, maybe "courtesy" or "non-aggressive" for examples, that you think appeals to women, generally?
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 07:26 pm
@layman,
I only know myself. Brains and eyes. I don't care if you are short or thin or hefty or have a pimple on your forehead. Voice, I was a lump for my husband's voice, but that also involved brains.

Aggressive, no thanks.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 07:37 pm
I'm old now, which is very odd, actually amazing, how did that happen. I've been through serious religion and lots of fun fooling around and episodes of love, some of them quite long.. I don't represent women in general.

The deal with this author with this attitude stuff is that it sounded puerile to me.
contrex

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 04:32 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
The deal with this author with this attitude stuff is that it sounded puerile to me.

The extract given reads as if it is from one of the many 'how to be a pick-up artist' books in the 'science of dating' genre. To some extent, these books are designed to cash-in on the hopes of men who can't attract women (or who feel that they can't).

They resemble those books about (e.g.) alternative medicine, conspiracy theories, etc, in that they peddle specious twaddle as if it were scientific fact. My objections to this type of book are mainly that they put obstacles in the way of men who might be struggling; they demonstrate that you can package waffle as wisdom and make money from it, that anecdotal evidence, vague appeals to authority and ad hominem are perfectly valid ways to win an argument.

Above all they paint a skewed and inaccurate picture of reality in which women want nothing more than a free lunch and an open door, and men must jump through hoops and clap their flippers like performing seals.

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 11:43 am
@contrex,
I agree with your take that these type of books can be harmful (or at least confusing) to boys or men who are struggling about dealing with girls or women.
0 Replies