Was it worthy to invade Iraq?!

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:59 pm
I've been reading an article at BBC news website.It's said that there was no WMDs in Iraq before the US-led war and that the UK and US used these allegations as a key to invade Iraq.The questions were ; was Saddam a real threat ? and did Bush mislead Americans into this war ?.How can we justify the stealing of innocent souls by this stupid war ?

I don't know about politics that much but these questions kept popping in my head !
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,067 • Replies: 41
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:15 am
Those are the basic questions confronting us right now about this war. I think some people feel strongly that it was not worth it -- the cost of war being what it is. Others feel strongly that it was worth it because Saddam was too big a threat. Each of us has to make up our mind and vote accordingly.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:17 am
Navigator, check out the various political threads here...some excellent postings for both sides.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:30 am
Majority opinion in Britain now, among the legal profession and the diplomatic service, as well as the journalists and the population in general, is that the war was illegal and immoral.

It is a crime, IMHO, morally bankrupt.

McT
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:39 am
Quote:

no
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:55 am
Quote:

yes
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:58 am
there are always going to be a group of people who approve of war and death from the safety of their living rooms......they all probably own big cars too.......

the answer to your question IMO is a resounding NO.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:03 am
Setanta wrote:
Quote:

no

McGentrix wrote:
Quote:

yes

That's representative for different opinions...

Well, yes check out the other (many) threads about the War in Iraq - Pro and Contra by A2k posters...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:05 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
there are always going to be a group of people who approve of war and death from the safety of their living rooms......they all probably own big cars too.......

the answer to your question IMO is a resounding NO.

There is also another group that believes the safety of ones nation cannot be put at unneccessary risk. That their government has the responsibility to ensure that safety no matter the cost. They drive whatever car they want because this is America and we are free.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:07 am
The author here writes of the Mexican War, and the War Between the States . . . however, i consider the observations à propos of our current situation:

For myself, i was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day regard the war which resulted as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation. . . . Nations, like individuals, are punished for their transgressions. We got our punishment in the most sanguinary and expensive war of modern times.

-- Ulysses Grant, Personal Memoirs, Vol. I, 1885
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:08 am
We are less safe and we will probably never be any safer again......but people are free in this country to believe as they like.........at least for now....
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:08 am
Since our elected representatives, near unanimously, deemed it to be in our national interest to authorize the President to do just that if he considered it necessary to to preserving our national interests, YES.

I think it was the right thing to do.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:09 am
Less safe than when?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:31 am
What is 'safety' and why is it more important than anything else? And why didn't our forefathers enumerate it in the Bill of Rights?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:42 am
less safe than before bush decided to have his big iraqi adventure.......

If safety had been the prime concern freeduck, of our founding fathers....then they would have stayed east and the west would never have been won.....funny that, now that the bad ass cowboy image is centered around safety huh?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:43 am
squinney's father is a real cowboy and I'm told that real cowboys resent gwb presenting as one.....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:25 am
So you consider 9/11 and the time leading up to it to be a safer time than now with the safety provisions the government has intalled?

Incredible.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:31 am
Larry434 wrote:
Since our elected representatives, near unanimously, deemed it to be in our national interest to authorize the President to do just that if he considered it necessary to to preserving our national interests, YES.

I think it was the right thing to do.

Keep in mind that many of those politicians...and common sense...have told us that the authorization was for the sake of unity...to portray a picture to Saddam that we meant business.

I compliment them for doing that.

If I had been a congressman or a senator...I would have done that myself.

But I would have expected the president of the United States to go about things in a reasonable way...rather than in the disjointed, stupid way this one proceeded.

Hey...he can be excused. He's a moron.

But you people who show intelligence should not be excused for your short-sightedness...nor your conservative knee-jerk reaction to this mess.

Getting Saddam out was not...and never will be..."necessary to preserving our national interests."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:43 am
Quote:
There is also another group that believes the safety of ones nation cannot be put at unneccessary risk. That their government has the responsibility to ensure that safety no matter the cost. They drive whatever car they want because this is America and we are free.

There's another group who doesn't think it makes their nation any safer to go around attacking people.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:00 am
Cyc., you seem like a rational person with a good head on your shoulders.

You understand that there are people in the world like Osama, Saddam, Zarqawi that want to kill you, right? That's what they want. They want you, me, every American dead. We are infidels who do not deserve to even breathe their air.

You understand that they will stop at nothing to achieve their goals, right? They will strap bombs on teenage girls so they may blow themselves up and hopefully take some infidels with them.

In my opinion, every one of them deserve to die (terrorist, not muslim). I feel safer because we are actively seeking them out and killing them instead of waiting for them to attack us.
0 Replies