Dating Advice...please help

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:15 pm
Hi Im new to the board.

i have a problem understanding what went wrong with this guy i was dating. We dated for 3 1/2 months..but at first..in the beginning we couldn't go out for 3 weeks b/c of my hectic schedule. We spent a lot of time together for that course of time. He showed me a lot of interest by introducing me to his brother, going to his brothers girlfriends birthday, introduced me to a lot of his friends, went out with them aswell, spent time as his place..which we couldn't fool around much b/c i felt wierd with his brother being there (Sleeping on the same floor of course) but i didn't make it go further than touching....also took me on a fishing trip for a full 13hour day. That's where i think it went wrong. The next day after that day...he called me twice..which is normal..then the wednesday came along and we both didn't pick up the phone. I had friends tell me that i shouldn't p/u the phone when i knew it would be ok..normal for me to do that. which i ended up not doing. the following night -thursday..he called and asked me where have i been and i acted "cool" as if nothing was different (don't ask) and said ive been here didn't you have soccer games? his response - umm ya...we talked for 2min and thats it. friday we spoke in the morning...like usual..mentioned he had another soccer game that night..and i didn't say what i've always said 'want me to watch?' ...don't ask again. then that same evening i decided to leave him a message asking if he wanted to do something on the sat. he never called me back. i knew he would go fishing that weekend on the sunday. so on the tues morning i called his phone..without a voice message. he ended up returning my call a few hours later and left a long message saying he was away fishing and would call me when he returned. he didnt. i sent a text msg on the wed..no response.he called back the thursday acting normal but didn't ask to see me. we've been playing this game for 2 weeks after that. then i had it..i went to go see him at work and he was happy to see me and asked what i was doing later..thought to myself GOOD finally. He was with a client and said he'd call me after work. I was in the area with friends having lunch..he called me 45 min after seeing me saying taht he wished he had more than 2 min of a break or he'd come see me. to me =positive? I asked him if he wanted me to keep my schedule open for him for later..he said 'oh babe don't do that for me..don't plan your night around me'. confused again. he went fishing again on that sunday-monday. monday i sent him a text asking if caught any fish. he called me tues on his way to work which again i was away from the phone...he left a long message and ended it with for me to call back when i get a chance..which he never does. so i did later after work. he never returned my call. the wed -the next day..i went to his work to visit again...he seemed happy -said i looked great and asked me where have i been and that he hasn't seen me in sooooo long. i responded 'it wasn't my fault' his response as he looks away..i've been busy sorry -stay for a smoke break with me. fine again. then we tlaked with a buddy of his (which i couldn't talk to him about what's going on) so then he had to go back in...asked me if i would be around the area..i said i think so..he said ok good come back and see me. positive? so i was shopping he called asked me join him and his friend for coffee. i did. the attraction vibe i could feel which was good. as we parted..he hugged me and said that we'd tlak soon..but he mentioned that he was going to be in my area to watch a soccer game..so when he said goodbye..i came out and invited myself. caught him off guard but i need to be alone with him to talk...desperate to ask him stuff. he siad for me to call him later around the time that he would have to meet his friend there...so i did...he wasn't there...he was still downtown with the earlier friend (coffee) and was drinking ...i felt like crap..stiff...he said he'd make it up to me over n over and that he'd clal me the next day..i told him not to bother..DONT BOTHER..he siad he'd call me..I said DONT..we got off the phone. saw him two days later as i was walking with a friend friday night downtown..eh didn't see me and i acted as though i didn't see him...he did see me as i pretended not to..he turned his shoulder (sitting at a patio with freinds) he HID himself. i sent him a text while he was fishing this weekend telling him that i was sorry for saying not to bother and that i was frustrated b/c i wanted to tlak to him about alone time without anyone hearing us and hte last time we had alone time i couldn't be myself with people hearing me....and then I wished a good fishing trip.

I know part of it was me holding back with intimacy..but i felt that we didn't have enough alone time and i fear that his 'blueball' issues has gotten to resent me especially from that week we went fishing..we made plans to go back for overnight..wink wink..but then stupid me acts like a buddy to him after the trip. DId i do something wrong? can this issue be fixed btwn me and him?
sorry for it being me first post and a mighty damn long one. Smile

help me
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,229 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:48 pm
First, how old are you? If you are still a teenager, not having sex could definitly turn a teenage boy off, what with their raging hormones and all. HOWEVER, I think you did the right thing by not going any farther than you did. Boys like that don't deserve girls like you.

Second, what is going on here? You are both playing games, and games are annoying and immature. You are acting like you don't want more when you really do. It sounds like he just wants to be friends, if that. I suspect that your flip-flopping around has him confused and he doesn't want to deal with it. Be straight forward and tell him exactly what you are expecting out of this relationship. And for gods sake, don't have sex with him because he claims "blue balls". It doesn't exist. And if you sleep with him after he pressures you I can almost guarantee he will not be there for long as he will have already gotten what he wanted. (Which it sounds like perhaps that is all he wanted to begin with)

I say either forget it or tell him what you want. He can't read your mind any more than you can read his.
0 Replies

LostGirl

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:55 pm
Hi...thanks Kristie Smile

I'm 30 and he's 33. he didn't mention the "blueballs" thing..my friends have said this to me over the course of the 3 month courtship. Stating that i'm giving him 'blueballs' b/c i haven't gotten further than him touching me.
i wasn't myself during this b/c of too many influences and me holding back and playing games is foolish and i feel that its too late to rekindle....on his part that is. He has never pressured me into anything...he's said 'we won't do what you don't want to'...which i found really nice. Part of me wanted to take my time and i didn't at the same time b/c of the infulence of friends confusing my own thoughts..
im wondering if it was me b/c of the holding back on intimacy and that week after we went fishing i pulled back again and acted like a buddy to him on the phone. im soo confused.
Would a guy date someone for that long just to get sex? Go that far and bring me around the friends,brother, a bday party for his brothers gf, make me dinner, take me fishing -a passion of his?
Can i repair this? i didn't open up my feelings to him during this at all..he's told me in that he likes me a lot and has a special part in his heart for me, says he misses me when he returns from his fishing trips...affectionate with hugging..and what did i do..i stnad there and say dido..could he have gotten the wrong vibe b/c of my lack of communication-intimacy?
I can't get him out of my head..there was nothing wrong with him -if anything he was perfect for me and as he told me a while back..that i too am perfect for him ...soulmates was what he said.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:03 pm
I hope your friends were joking...

Honestly, if he says anything remotly close to "it isn't you it's me...." like with the statment you are too perfect for him, the truth of the matter is that he doesn't want a relationship.

Yeah, I think a guy will put in some time if he thinks sex is on the line.
Perhaps I am wrong on this. I do not know him or you so this is all speculation.

Seriously though, call him and say "Tell me when you have time to talk, and by talk I mean longer than 5 minutes and alone." Then tell him how you feel. Tough as it is, tell him that you value yourself and submitting to sex when you are not emotionally there is not in the cards. Tell him that you'd like to build a relationship minus the games. That you have trouble getting close but if he is willing so are you. You've got to be honest or nothing will come of this.

I hope this helps.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:05 pm
You guys are in your 30's??

Wow.

I very much agree with Kristie to just be honest, see what happens.
0 Replies

LostGirl

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:16 pm
I think i fear rejection.

i sent him a text message on sunday saying what was on my mind..and he hasn't responded to me. I knew that he wouldn't on the sun,mon,tues...being away fly fishing he wouldn't have seen the message. Well here we are today..and he hasn't called..is it too premature to accept the rejection? should i wait a couple of days.

the thing is i did want to sleep with him, but no..he's never come out and said it...but i could feel it inside of me that he wanted to. My friends stopped me b/c they want me to find someone to marry. Funny..i just want to date and see what happeneds..too much pressure i put myself under and followed others advice and it blew up in my face. I was playing a part that wasn't me.
i'm 30 -he's 33 after 3months dating you'd think that we'd sleep together ??? i hate knowing the gut feeling inside -knowing that he's already made his decision of saying good bye b/c we've only seen each other once in 3 weeks which was last week with me going to see him at work.
i do want to confront him but i feel the distance has and might have made him cold towards me. i know it was me that started it by holding back with everything.
here's the text message :
Hey,the other night I shouldn't have gotten upset and said not to bother. I wanted to b alone with u. since the last alone time we were in your room I stoped it from getting heated because I thought your bro and liz could hear me. I was frustrated last time we talked because I couldn't talk and ask if we could be alone with nobody hearing us. Since that week we went fishing I think I sent u the wrong vibe. Hope u can understand why. I should have 'opened daa mouth" and told u instead of being shy about it. You are probably fishing right now - don't forget to toss back da baby fishes in da wata.
the "opened daa mouth" part was from a movie that he loves and got me into it. the other part at the end....it was something he said to me on that day we went fishing.
how would you interpret this text message..was i unclear yet again? did i make it look like that i want to sleep with him and sent him the wrong vibes?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:19 pm
But you do want to sleep with him...? ("the thing is i did want to sleep with him")

I think the first thing you should do is figure out what you want. Once you know that, tell him. Then go from there.

He may just be frustrated by your own confusion.
0 Replies

LostGirl

sozobe wrote:
You guys are in your 30's??

Wow.

I very much agree with Kristie to just be honest, see what happens.

yup in our 30's. sad isn't it?
would it help to explain that he's short ? lol 5'4 and im 5'2..not bad but really i think he might suffer from short man syndrome and thus causing him to 'shell up' and not speak when he's hurt. and for myself...the fear of rejection and opening up and getting burned each time that i have in the past could have affected this all together.

is it too late to talk to him when he seems to hide from me..i sent the text -should i do more? go there if i can't reach him? wouldn't that make me look like a stalker? what if i call tomorrow night and he doesnt' pick up the phone? leave a message?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Ok, plain words: NO TEXT Call him and TALK.
0 Replies

LostGirl

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:21 pm
sozobe wrote:
But you do want to sleep with him...? ("the thing is i did want to sleep with him")

I think the first thing you should do is figure out what you want. Once you know that, tell him. Then go from there.

He may just be frustrated by your own confusion.

is it too late with 3 weeks passing without us seeing each other? distance.

i do want to sleep with him...i felt it the first time we kissed.

do i just come out and tell him " hey wanna screw?" lol

wondering if my text message to him was unclear
0 Replies

LostGirl

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:23 pm
Kristie wrote:
Ok, plain words: NO TEXT Call him and TALK.

LMAO! first time laughing today for me. thanks

im nervous to call and get rejected by him not picking up. leave a message or wait until he picks up?

i know im acting like a brat about it...i can't believe at 30 im acting like this ..when previous dating companions i've never had a problem like this.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:28 pm
Can you get together? That'd be even better than talking on the phone.

But yeah, having some sort of real-time communication is called for.

And meanwhile, decide what you want. If you want to sleep with him, I kind of doubt he'd mind too much as a general concept, and there are plenty of ways to get that across. He might have decided that you play too many games/ are too confused to deal with at all, but if so, sounds like you want to know that.

Good luck!
0 Replies

LostGirl

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:34 pm
it seems with him its been hard to get together with him these past 3 weeks. the most recent time i saw him was last week when i visited him at work. should i do that again?

part of me wants to know if my mind games (which was unintended -i was confused to let him 'have' me ) has caused him to get frustrated and has decided that im too much work. -if its that..isn't it too late to rekindle?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:38 pm
Ask!

A phone call at least seems manageable...
0 Replies

LostGirl

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:42 pm
sozobe wrote:
Ask!

i will ask. hopefully he doesn't say no. i did ask that first weekend back from fishing with him leaving him a vm asking to see him. he didn't return my call. i asked him last saturday...didn't want me to plan my night around him...but i'll still do it. crossing my fingers hoping he at least answers the phone...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:02 pm
LostGirl wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Ask!

i will ask. hopefully he doesn't say no. i did ask that first weekend back from fishing with him leaving him a vm asking to see him. he didn't return my call. i asked him last saturday...didn't want me to plan my night around him...but i'll still do it. crossing my fingers hoping he at least answers the phone...

If he doesn't answer, leave one message or your call back, whatever. If he calls, then talk. If he doesn't call, then call it over.
0 Replies

LostGirl

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:40 am
i decided to call tomorrow morning when i know he would be "around" his phone before he starts work at 11am.

thought a lot about him last night..i can't believe in 3 years since my ex that a guy really got to me. i've dated many men and not one has gotten to me like this one. freaky

all i could think about was...why did he ask me to come back to see him on wed last week while he was at work if he's not interested..is this normal? i know i wouldn't do that to someone who i wasn't interested in... why did i tell him to NOT BOTHER on the phone when he said he'd make it up to me and then 2 days later..he pretends to not see me -was that b/c he felt dumb for what happened on the phone just 2 days b4 - i pretty much told him to not bother making it up to me and to not bother calling me...would you hide from someone who said this to you? you know..someone rejects you and you hide when you see them..do men do this aswell?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:15 am
I don't believe this has anything to do with "short man syndrome" which is about as scientific a syndrome as "blue balls." I think the problem is that he isn't interested in you as much as he is his other projects and passtimes... Otherwise, he would be making as much time for you as the things he makes time for.

Let me ask you, why do you want a relationship with this guy?- Or do you want a relationship with this particular guy- or just a relationship? What do you guys have in common? Where are those sparking moments? When were those sparking moments? Why aren't they continuing if they ever were? Without those, what's the point in dating anyone? Confused
0 Replies

LostGirl

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:47 am
princesspupule wrote:
I don't believe this has anything to do with "short man syndrome" which is about as scientific a syndrome as "blue balls." I think the problem is that he isn't interested in you as much as he is his other projects and passtimes... Otherwise, he would be making as much time for you as the things he makes time for.

Let me ask you, why do you want a relationship with this guy?- Or do you want a relationship with this particular guy- or just a relationship? What do you guys have in common? Where are those sparking moments? When were those sparking moments? Why aren't they continuing if they ever were? Without those, what's the point in dating anyone? Confused

it was going really good up until that week we went fishing...i acted cold towards him treating him like a buddy instead of showing him that i was interested more so than i was previous to the day trip fishing. i could tell that he backed off b/c of my buddy comments. i pulled back b/c i was afraid to show him that i was interested in getting physical with him and never said a word and i know that during our courtship he was really really into me and im afraid that my actions with -at times not picking up the phone...not calling..acting like a buddy has made him think that i don't want anything more than a friendship...i never told him as he told me about liking me alot and can't get enough of me...wouldn't anyone in that situation pull back and say - ok this girl is not into me...im taking steps back. Sad
i like him a lot..we get along. we have the same sense of humor that most people don't get...have the same views towards life and the future...enjoy the same types of movies..the list can go on...the sparking moments stopped cold when i acted cold that week we got back fishing. dead cold.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:23 am
LostGirl wrote:
princesspupule wrote:

it was going really good up until that week we went fishing...i acted cold towards him treating him like a buddy instead of showing him that i was interested more so than i was previous to the day trip fishing. i could tell that he backed off b/c of my buddy comments. i pulled back b/c i was afraid to show him that i was interested in getting physical with him and never said a word and i know that during our courtship he was really really into me and im afraid that my actions with -at times not picking up the phone...not calling..acting like a buddy has made him think that i don't want anything more than a friendship...i never told him as he told me about liking me alot and can't get enough of me...wouldn't anyone in that situation pull back and say - ok this girl is not into me...im taking steps back. Sad
i like him a lot..we get along. we have the same sense of humor that most people don't get...have the same views towards life and the future...enjoy the same types of movies..the list can go on...the sparking moments stopped cold when i acted cold that week we got back fishing. dead cold.

Then, if you are interested, it's time to make a big move. By any chance do you own a trench coat or a rain coat that isn't see through? It's time to show up naked underneath a coat, and if he likes fish, I would be bearing a fish, claiming I caught it myself, being silly, tongue in cheek, "Good buddy, you missed a fine fishing trip! Look what I caught! Razz, " dropping innuendos, not removing my coat unless he seems truly interested in me... This situation absolutely has nothing to do with his height. WHy did you ever think that it had to do with him being short? Curious princesses want to know... Surprised
0 Replies