Reasons for optimism

blatham

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 08:59 am
On optimism.

This mental stance will surely be validated when Donald Trump gives a long and coherent speech, composed by himself, on the necessity to democracy of a robust free press which has access to as much of the operations of governance as does not threaten security matters and which not only can, but must, challenge and criticize that government.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 09:00 am
@blatham,
Quote:
I suppose that's so but it gets me wondering whether we might identify some color even darker than black?

Such a color exists. It absorbs all but 0.035% of all light. Its a nanotube (C) infused fabric called VANTABLQCK

So, we shall have a 4 year opportunity at enjoying vantablack humor
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 09:16 am
@blatham,
we can blame much on the ineptitude of the Clinton campaign to maintain some degree of distance between it and Obama. Despite Obama's popularity ( 50% ?) his popularity is easily dispelled by the disaffected , under-employed whites was not even sidewise recognized. And her penchant for projecting truth at such issues as "retraining coal miners for jobs that didnt even exist yet" were big misunderstandings of the resentment about a recovery that had not
yet even reached them.

However, preaching "The Big Lie" by the Trump campaign was taken to a high artform. I think that we will be burping these things up over a four year period and, unless Trump tries to "hammer down" on any disagreements by his opposition, hes going to be covering his ass over and over. The Trump University fraud case is but a thin layer of skin of this onion.

I can see Mr Trump being the proud recipient of an Obama pqrdon as Obama leaves office qn we are staring at the possibility of still other fraud or felony cases that may lie in the wings. Have any incoming presidents , in our history,been granted a pardon by the outgoing president (for the sake of the Union)?

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 09:23 am
Is there significant (or any) media coverage in the US about what's happening internationally with various trade agreements?

The news here (and in the international media I follow overnight) is very focused on China seeing a tremendous opportunity right now. Looking to move in on former US spots in agreements. Pursuing the super-booming Latin American market and developing it much as they did with Africa. They're going after resources and apparently seeing a great chance as the US peers inward. Is any of that being covered?
blatham

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 09:37 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
So, we shall have a 4 year opportunity at enjoying vantablack humor
Great news! I am now re-inspired and will begin writing in a form which will make a black cat seem like a miner's helmet lamp.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 09:39 am
@ehBeth,
nope, except by the guys like Paul Krugman who made a comment about "the world turned upside down"

people against TPP will ultimately see that thinking longer term than two quarters is what Asia is all about. China is wisely looking way beyond its present downturn, while the US still believes that the world turns around us.
We are shooting ourselves in the foot.
blatham

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 09:46 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
50% ?

A day prior to the election, it was at 59 which matched Clinton's at same point and bested Reagan's 58.

And yes, the campaign (and most everyone else) did not get what was afoot.

Quote:
I can see Mr Trump being the proud recipient of an Obama pqrdon as Obama leaves office qn we are staring at the possibility of still other fraud or felony cases that may lie in the wings. Have any incoming presidents , in our history,been granted a pardon by the outgoing president (for the sake of the Union)?
A get-out-of-jail-for-any-crime-up-the-road card. That would be a fine innovation in justice.

I truly don't know what's going to happen re Trump's many legal issues because this really isn't an area of any expertise for me. But I'm pretty certain that at the end of his four year tenure, he will have stacked up more legal problems re conflicts of interest and what I am sure will be widespread corruption.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 09:48 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Is any of that being covered?
Not much that I've seen, beth. Though perhaps there's been coverage at WSJ or the Economist, neither of which I attend to on a regular basis.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 10:10 am
After a busy week of meetings north of Baltimore I've enjoyed a pleasant, restful couple of days In McClean VA with my oldest son & family. Just finished a very pleasant extended breakfast; now to pack for a tedious flight back to CA.

Meanwhile events will continue and we will all learn some more about the good & bad unfolding features of the new Administration. Blatham will probably succeed in finding something 'blacker than black" with which to satisfy his desire and expectation for it. The world will roll on confounding most of our predictions about it. I expect the sky will not fall in.
blatham

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 10:18 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
with which to satisfy his desire and expectation for it.

Absolutely. You've read Shirer. You know how those Jews desired a Hitler regime.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 10:29 am
Here's a short bit from Jay Rosen's piece written a day or two prior to the election. I've noted it here on some thread earlier but I'll quote a short bit now which contains a notion I haven't seen anywhere else but which is, I think, damned bright and revelatory.

Quote:

“On a certain level, the media lacked the vocabulary to describe what was happening,” Stanley writes. And I agree with that. He compares what Trump did to totalitarian propaganda, which does not attempt to depict the world but rather substitutes for it a ruthlessly coherent counter-narrative that is untroubled by any contradiction between itself and people’s experience.

Quote:
The goal of totalitarian propaganda is to sketch out a consistent system that is simple to grasp, one that both constructs and simultaneously provides an explanation for grievances against various out-groups. It is openly intended to distort reality, partly as an expression of the leader’s power. Its open distortion of reality is both its greatest strength and greatest weakness.

Trump’s campaign was “openly intended to distort reality” because that is a show of power. Power over his followers. Over the other candidates he humiliated and drove from the race. Over party officials who tried to bring him to heel. And over the journalists who tried to “check” and question him.
http://pressthink.org/
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 10:51 am
@georgeob1,
next time your N of Balto. Id sure like to drop down and say howdy. (as a recovering consultant). I live south of Quarryville Pa which is in the neighborhood of the various network of gas fired power plants (I just assume you do a lot of work in that realm)
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 01:00 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

people against TPP...

...are a diverse group who don't all think alike. I favor free trade, for example, but opposed the TPP.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 04:59 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I think we shall be afforded some Black Humor opportunities that have not been enjoyed since the days of Nixon.

By remarkable coincidence, I was thinking of Nixon late last night. More in terms of Stonewalling than Black Humor, but his name was close to my lips.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 10:23 pm
@blatham,
Here's a journalist's self-derving definition of "totaslitarian propaganda" pasted here by Blatham
blatham wrote:

Quote:
The goal of totalitarian propaganda is to sketch out a consistent system that is simple to grasp, one that both constructs and simultaneously provides an explanation for grievances against various out-groups. It is openly intended to distort reality, partly as an expression of the leader’s power. Its open distortion of reality is both its greatest strength and greatest weakness.

Trump’s campaign was “openly intended to distort reality” because that is a show of power. Power over his followers. Over the other candidates he humiliated and drove from the race. Over party officials who tried to bring him to heel. And over the journalists who tried to “check” and question him.
http://pressthink.org/
[/quote]

The problem with it is that it would have fir our Declaration of independence quite nicely. A good example of an old and rather stale journalistic trick. Write your own convenient definition that fits something you wish to slander, and give it a bad label of your choice.
blatham

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 07:20 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The problem with it is that it would have fir our Declaration of independence quite nicely.

Well who could argue with that first sentence? Because I think we all know that you could, with ease, identify as thoroughly equal:
- Jeffersons words
- Lincoln at Gettysburg
- Trump's twitter compositions and campaign rhetoric

Clearly, each man set out to accrue power and a voter base through serial untruths, bullying and humiliation of opponents, and the fomenting racial and religious animosities. Obviously, the Declaration itself and Lincoln's description of it were both driven by a need and strategy to accrue personal power and to squash any apparent opposition to that accrual of power. What could be more sensible than your analogy here.

Quote:
A good example of an old and rather stale journalistic trick. Write your own convenient definition that fits something you wish to slander, and give it a bad label of your choice.

That's intellectually cowardly, george. With constructions such as that one, you permit yourself to discount any notion which leads to conclusions that don't match your partisan wishes. Another way that cowardice shows up is your refusal to work out specific definitions of such phenomena. I have asked you to join me in developing a definition of "propaganda" and you have refused, suggesting that I was demanding something untoward, perhaps unfairly setting you up in the manner of a prosecutor.

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 07:37 am
As we all now know, Mike Pense attended a play and was assassinated by the cast of the play and the attending audience. It's in all the papers.
Quote:
Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
The Theater must always be a safe and special place.The cast of Hamilton was very rude last night to a very good man, Mike Pence. Apologize!
5:56 AM - 19 Nov 2016

Newt Gingrich ✔ @newtgingrich
The arrogance and hostility of the Hamilton cast to the Vice President elect ( a guest at the theater) is a reminder the left still fights.
6:36 AM - 19 Nov 2016

Michelle Malkin ✔ @michellemalkin
Hamilton cast & lib Broadway patrons displayed their tolerance for diversity by intolerantly booing Mike Pence out of theater.
Heckuva job! https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/799972624713420804
7:26 AM - 19 Nov 2016

Michele Bachmann ✔ @MicheleBachmann
I wish the Hamilton cast had understood Hamilton more. VP-elect Pence deserves an apology. https://www.yahoo.com/news/mike-pence-booed-at-hamilton-addressing-him-cast-says-it-fears-trump-team-will-not-protect-us-063728742.html
7:10 AM - 19 Nov 2016

Laura Ingraham ✔ @IngrahamAngle
Imagine if a conservative actor (yeah right) addressed HRC by saying "we who are Christians are scared etc." Media would pillory. https://twitter.com/thr/status/799913881195970560
4:32 AM - 19 Nov 2016

BRUCE CHAMBERS @BruceChambers
Could you imagine what would happen if Obama went to a show and was booed and harassed like VP Pence? Would be racist uprising by left.
8:36 AM - 19 Nov 2016

One can understand these responses (and the many others like them). It's a first amendment thing. One has the inalienable right to protest and express disagreement with political leaders so long as they, afterwards, grovel and bow their heads in abject shame for their grotesque violation of the hierarchical order.

Nothing totalitarian going on here.
blatham

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 07:51 am
Quote:
Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
The ONLY bad thing about winning the Presidency is that I did not have the time to go through a long but winning trial on Trump U. Too bad!
5:39 AM - 19 Nov 2016

See above, re
Quote:
It is openly intended to distort reality, partly as an expression of the leader’s power.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 07:54 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

One can understand these responses (and the many others like them). It's a first amendment thing. One has the inalienable right to protest and express disagreement with political leaders so long as they, afterwards, grovel and bow their heads in abject shame for their grotesque violation of the hierarchical order.

Nothing totalitarian going on here.

I often tell my children that there is a time and a place for disagreement. If they acted as these actors did, they would have certainly lost some privileges. Having an opinion is fine. Everyone is certainly entitled to one and they should be free to express that opinion.

But, act like a spoiled little ****, you get treated like a spoiled little ****.
blatham

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 08:09 am
God, I love this one.
Quote:
Donald Trump is planning to embark on a "victory tour" through swing states in the coming weeks, an unorthodox move for an incoming president.

George Gigicos, the campaign's advance team director, said the president-elect would head to some of the key states that voted for him after next week's Thanksgiving holiday.

"We're working on a victory tour now. It will happen in the next couple of weeks," Mr Gigicos said.
http://bit.ly/2eTBMba
It's not merely that there's all sorts of time for this and none for that Trump U thing. Or getting briefings about a job of which he knows damn near nothing - a job which entails holding a position which is probably the most powerful and influential in the world. Or overseeing the creation of a vast new administration.

It's that this is all about his need for adulation.

This dude is a nutcase. It's why I'm so darned optimistic for the future of America.
0 Replies