Pectus Excavatum

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 09:22 am
My daughter's doctor explained to me that my two year old has this condition. I looked up some information on this is it is reasonably common occurrence (about 1 in every 300 births). At this time the doctor said her condition was moderate which in her opinion meant it was cosmetic and unlikely to require surgery. She did not seem concerned and just stated we would monitor it to make sure she had no medical problems. Fortunately, she seems pretty knowledgeable about the condition whereas, I heard many doctors typically ignore any symptoms and will usually discount this condition as only cosmetic. Even so where it is my child I would liked to be as informed as possible. Has any one had any first hand knowledge of this situation? I have heard that the situation could get worse in puberty. Any thing you think I should keep an eye just in case?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,024 • Replies: 8
No top replies

PamO

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 03:33 pm
hi linkat, lemme look it up and i'll come back...
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 03:39 pm
hmmm, i'm sorry i can't help you...

maybe someone on here WILL have first hand experience for you. i'm glad her pediatrician is not too concerned...best wishes!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 03:43 pm
Down the road, your daughter should mention her quirky sternum to her OB/GYN particularly if she becomes pregnant.

This does not seem to be an immediate project.

I'd trust your doctor.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 07:20 am
Thank you all. Yes, I do trust my daughter's doctor. She seems to be very knowledgeable and also takes the cautious route. That is one of the reason I choose her. But seeing my doctor only sees her once a year and I see her every day, I am in a better position to monitor her day to day. I have done a little reading on the subject just in case it ever becomes an issue, I do not want to be in the dark. I figure any knowledge I gain could help if on the slight chance it does become a health issue.

Noddy - out of curiosity hoe would her sternum affect anything reading OB/GYN and/or pregnancy?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 01:22 pm
As she grows, there could be heart complications--or not.

http://www.ctds.info/pectus_excavatum_faq.html#heart
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 01:49 pm
Thanks Noddy. Actually when I asked my daughter's doctor what types of problems could arise, she did mention that as problem as well as breathing as the lungs could also be compromised if PE is severe enough. I guess I was wondering since you mentioned OB/GYN if there were related problems to this area as this is the first I heard about such things. But I guess anything that could potentially effect your heart and lungs could become even more of an issue when pregnant. I remember feeling like it was difficult to breathe when the baby put certain pressures on me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:47 pm
Pregnancy complicates everything--then then baby is born!....and you spend a good year having only one hand since the other arm is holding the baby.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 May, 2021 12:24 pm
Not sure if anyone that wrote on this is still around A2k - but I have been reading some of my old posts - I talked about how I would sometimes feel like I had difficulty breathing when pregnant so I thought to ask my doctor about this - if I had it

My doctor confirmed yep you do.

Well now I know where my daughter got it. My doctor was not concerned about it.
0 Replies