Why Has My Dog Suddenly Become a Hunter?

faye845

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 08:45 am
So, I have two chihuahua mixes. We're not quite sure what their mixed with and we're pretty sure it's multiple things. One may be a Corgi. I've had these dogs for about 10+ years and just recently one of them is started hunting small animals in the backyard. She has never done this before, her sister doesn't do it, and we've been living in the same house for about 8 years. So far, she has brought in a dead mouse, I've caught here eating a bird on our patio, and she may have recently ate part of a bunny. I'm wondering why she has suddenly started doing this. Food is always available to her and she's is overweight. I can't find a reason as to why, after 10 years, she has suddenly starting hunting the animals in our backyard. If she had done this early in life, I wouldn't be so surprised. I don't understand the sudden change in behavior. At the moment, I am just trying to understand why rather than how to stop her. If any one knows why, has an idea, or has experienced this themselves, please leave me some insight.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 981 • Replies: 6
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 08:06 am
Ask your vet. Either this dog has been doing this for a long time, (and you just didn't see it) or it is stressed out (vision, hearing) and is reacting to other small animals.

How is the dog to the other one?
faye845

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 12:11 pm
@PUNKEY,
They're from the same litter. And the other dog's behavior hasn't changed at all. Not even towards her sister.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 09:40 pm
@faye845,
I had dogs that didn't behave well under my sister's care. One started killing all the cats it grew up with . When these dogs, dobermans, came under my care, they behaved very well. I fed them well and they loved being inside a house and a green yard over my sister's base yard for trucks. Maybe it is neglect that causes them to do bad things.
faye845

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 02:13 pm
@seac,
They aren't being neglected. We've been trying to give her lots of attention, but her sister gets jealous when we give her attention and scares her away from us. This has led my dog to no longer come by us when she's called or when we try to give her attention. When we do manage to give her attention, she starts shaking and having a panic attack.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 02:36 pm
@faye845,
When was her last check-up with a vet?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 02:38 pm
@faye845,
faye845 wrote:
We've been trying to give her lots of attention, but her sister gets jealous when we give her attention and scares her away from us.

one thing I have always done when I've had more than one dog is to make sure each dog gets private time with me (I am the alpha human here).

If her companion dog is problematic, that dog also needs some serious training time.
0 Replies