Want to know why?

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 05:12 pm
Want to know why my 3yr old female dog always wants to lays her head across my mouth.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 10,533 • Replies: 13
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 09:51 pm
Are you both the same height?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 11:50 pm
@asp402016,
Quote:
Want to know why?
No.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 02:12 pm
@asp402016,
My dog will do that too, often putting her head over both my nose and mouth when I am in bed. We kid around about it and call it "smother love", but it can get really annoying, particularly when it makes it hard to breath. Smile

It's clearly an affectionate thing with my dog, it's as if she wants to get as physically close to your face as possible. Sometimes it also seems protective, like she wants you under her to keep you safe. When she resists having her head moved off my face, it also seems like dominance, because she will get very determined about keeping it there.

Why do dogs do this? I'm not really sure. Puppies in a litter will sleep on top of each other. I also once read somewhere that, when a dog puts their throat across your mouth, it indicates complete trust, because the throat is the most vulnerable part of the dog's body and they are willingly exposing it to your mouth. How true that is, I have no idea. I've asked my dog, but she just shrugs her shoulders.
Pemerson

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 02:26 pm
@firefly,
My miniature Dachound does that! Wants to put his throat across my nose & mouth. We adopted him about 2 years ago from a shelter and find this very odd. The only thing I've even thought is that his former owner was either ill, or ? He can't seem to get close enough to us, and wants to stay there. Yes, it is annoying but we just say "no" kissing and he quits, unwillingly. Bad breath, too. Sweetest dog ever.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:04 pm
@firefly,
Firefly, that's all quite interesting (and charming). What sort of dog do you have?
firefly

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:43 am
@ossobuco,
I have a miniature poodle, osso.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:59 am
@firefly,
I think I knew that but forgot..

0 Replies

msvickylo

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 11:04 am
@Pemerson,
I have a female GSP who just started the same behavior about a week ago with my husband. Previous to a week or so ago she wanted to sleep by him and sometimes she would put her head on his shoulder. Recently she has been sniffing his nose/mouth area and lays her head across his face.
When I pull her toward me she flails and fights to get back to him then she puts her head over his nose/mouth area again and she shakes like she is cold.
I make her come to the other side with me and she still wants to get to him, but eventually settles down and goes to sleep.
I am starting to wonder if she senses he has an illness.
Ragman

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 11:09 am
@msvickylo,
In the future you might want to consider checking date stamps of original posters when you reply. You've replied to a 3-yr-old thread but this member has either left the site or inactive.
msvickylo

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 08:34 pm
@Ragman,
I don't normally do forums. I didn't see anything that told me how to make a new post, so I replied to a post that seemed similar to my situation.

Sorry.

I guess I realize now why I don't do forums.

Thanks for your helpful information.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 08:37 pm
@Pemerson,
Geez, I miss Pemerson.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 09:07 pm
@msvickylo,
Quote:
I didn't see anything that told me how to make a new post, so I replied to a post that seemed similar to my situation.

That wasn't an unreasonable thing to do, msvickylo,.
Quote:
I am starting to wonder if she senses he has an illness.

Does your husband have an illness?

What does he think of the dog's behavior? Does it bother him?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 09:17 pm
@msvickylo,
There is some interesting new research about some dogs being able to scent/sense diseases in humans as well as other animals. Definitely worth considering.

Welcome to Able2know, msvickylo.
0 Replies