Is this normal eating behavior for a dog?

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 08:55 am
I’ve had dogs growing up and I’ve never seen this behavior in a dog in regards to their eating. My previous dogs, you would feed them and they would immediately eat up their food. My current dog is a “social” eater.

What do you mean by a social eater? I will feed him and he will wait until we sit down to eat – this could be an hour later. We will sit down to eat and then he will go to his dish and come under table with some food in his mouth and eat. On occasion (I’m guessing) when he is more hungry, he will go into the kitchen grab a mouthful of food, come into the living room or whichever room we are in and eat. Then go back into the kitchen, grab another mouthful of food and repeat.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 09:04 am
@Linkat,
I've only had a few dogs myself, so no but that's not a big sample.

That's very sweet, though!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 09:14 am
@Linkat,
Is your dog female, Linkat?
Our Lilly eats on her own terms too, unless there is an occasional goodie in
her bowl then she eats right away. She not necessarily waits for us to eat,
but she always waits a while before eating, sometimes several hours....

Our previous male dogs gobbled everything down as soon as the bowl hit
the floor. All of them had the same behaviour. Previous female dogs did as
Lilly does, eat whenever they feel like it.

I also think it's rather cute when your dog waits until you all sit down to eat and then does the same. You should put the food bowl under the table then... Wink
Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 09:37 am
@CalamityJane,
No he is a male.

It isn't a problem other than he could improve on his manners - he is a loud eater and then usually burps afterwards. I kind of enjoy him eating with us. He really is a part of the family.

Yes - on treats, there is no social stuff involved - those are downed as soon as possible.
Irishk

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 09:51 am
@Linkat,
Our Jack likes to be 'talked to' while he eats (long story -- some lingering separation anxiety, I think). I (or Mr.Irish) can't just be near or in the same room...he actually won't eat unless we stand over him and chat. Since we try to keep him on a schedule (twice a day), we indulge him (it only takes a few minutes). If we say his name whilst chatting, his tail wags. It's really kind of funny. Oh, and I once caught Mr.Irish trying to explain the ritual to the people where we board him lol. Can you imagine some of the wacky requests they must get?

When we're eating, he likes to lie under the table with some part of him touching some part of one of us.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 10:06 am
@Linkat,
You've described the way my male dog would prefer to eat. With the female dog being a major thief/gobbler, we've had to put both of them on two controlled (and strictly supervised - dogs at opposite ends of the houses) meals a day.

He much preferred it when he could graze occasionally, but share his main mealtimes with me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 10:25 am
@Irishk,
Oh, my - I didn't even think about that - we haven't boarded him yet - we have been fortunate to find some one to take him in when we can't have him travel with us.
Irishk

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 10:54 am
@Linkat,
I mostly chat to him about the day's weather forecast. Or sometimes the plot of the current book I'm reading.

The other day I heard Mr.Irish telling him all about the final mission of the space shuttle and how Jack had just missed his last chance to get off this planet lol.

Chomp chomp...
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 11:03 am
@Linkat,
I've seen a slight variation on this. A dog that does take a mouthful of food from his bowl and takes it elsewhere to eat. Never seen a dog that waits until other people are eating at the same time he starts to consume his food.

Very much a sociable dog. Very disciplined behavior. Cute behavior indeed! Smile

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 11:06 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
he is a loud eater and then usually burps afterwards...

That's funny! I don't ever remember hearing a dog burp before! Is your dog a Hungarian breed perhaps? Wink
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 11:08 am
@Irishk,
What's his favorite book Irishk?
Irishk

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 11:31 am
@tsarstepan,
He likes Mark Haddon a lot! (I left out the part about Wellington the poodle getting stabbed with a pitchfork).

During breakfast this morning, I asked him if he knew the crack to level 19 of Decryptonite. He ain't tellin'!!!
Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 11:52 am
@tsarstepan,
He is Belgium. His breed is known to be very intelligent (almost too much so for their own good) and like to be with their family. It makes sense knowing how much he likes to be with us.

When we take out his carrier, he gets all excited and will immediately go into in as he knows he going with us.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 11:53 am
@Irishk,
Love the oddball characteristics of each pet - it makes them so endearly and lovingly unique.
0 Replies