Fox news apology for lies about Kerry

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:03 pm
WASHINGTON -- Fox News apologized today for posting phony quotes from Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry on its Web site. ADVERTISEMENT

Carl Cameron, a Fox reporter who covers the Kerry campaign, wrote an item that looked like a news story with made-up Kerry quotes, said Paul Schur, a Fox spokesman. The item was not intended to be posted on the site.

"Carl made a stupid mistake which he regrets," Schur said Friday night. "And he has been reprimanded for his lapse in judgment. It was a poor attempt at humor."

The phony item posted early Friday read in part:

"Rallying supporters in Tampa Friday Kerry played up his performance in Thursday night's debate in which many observers agreed the Massachusetts senator outperformed the president.

"'Didn't my nails and cuticles look great? What a good debate!' Kerry said Friday.

"With the foreign-policy debate in the history books, Kerry hopes to keep the pressure on and the sense of traction going.

"Aides say he will step up attacks on the president in the next few days, and pivot somewhat to the domestic agenda, with a focus on women and abortion rights.

"'It's about the Supreme Court. Women should like me! I do manicures,' Kerry said."

The item also quoted Kerry as saying of himself and President Bush: "I'm metrosexual -- he's a cowboy."

After withdrawing the item, Fox posted a statement on its Web site, http://www.FOXNews.com apologizing for the error. It said: "The item was based on a reporter's partial script that had been written in jest and should not have been posted or broadcast. We regret the error, which occurred because of fatigue and bad judgment, not malice."

Cameron has been a political reporter for Fox News since 1996, Schur said.

Asked about the incident, Kerry spokesman David Wade said: "America would be stronger if only George Bush could admit his mistakes as easily."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,101 • Replies: 51
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:46 pm
What a surprise...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:56 pm
you mean that people took this as the truth? I think weve all been talking politics too long.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:03 pm
Yeah...
0 Replies

angie

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:18 pm
you wrote : Fox News .....

suggested correction : Fox "News" .....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:21 pm
Ain't it da trut' ?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:50 pm
dlowan wrote:
What a surprise...

Yep,indeed. A sensation.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:08 pm
SURE it's a joke. One meant to imply Kerry is effiminate. By a supposed news organization.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:26 pm
Only die-hard repubs will believe what Fox dishes out. After all, Fox is the pre-CBS.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 04:06 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Only die-hard repubs will believe what Fox dishes out. After all, Fox is the pre-CBS.

liberal! hate america firster! saddam lover! secularist! vegitarian! tree lover! save the whaler! environmentalist! anti-outsourcing freak!

only fox news tells the truth about our great president and his strong, resolved, god fearing leadership !

FAIR and BALANCED ! you pinkos!!!!

everybody else is an effite, snobish elitist!

and to think... some people really do feel this way. Laughing
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 04:20 am
Oh what a relief, for awhile there I thought you had had a cerebral hemorrhage.
Joe
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 04:43 am
naw joe. just feelin' fiesty.

Cool
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 04:44 am
It just sounded so real............. or unreal as the case may be.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 04:51 am
well hell. it's not like we don't hear enough of it to be able to imitate it.

parrots do it all the time...

aawwkk,aawwkk, liberal, liberal... awkkkk

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 04:58 am
I like to watch Fox when they attempt to do an interview with someone like Pelosi. You can see on the face of the reporter his hoping that she will goof up and his disappointment if she actually completes a talking point. So, of course, the tactic has become just to interrupt. Rolling Eyes

They are not reporters. They are cheerleaders for the GOP.

Joe
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 05:07 am
but they will never admit it.

oh wait. they did. i even posted a sound file of it on the site somewhere. i'll try and find it tomorrow and repost.

hey, what part of the city you in?

gotta crash, man. doin' oktoberfest here tomorrow night and promised the wife i'd help with the house work. pick up manana, muchacho.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:30 am
I don't see any of the rabid bush supporters here. Odd that. They must be like bush himself. When faced with the irrefutable truth, they back off.

Well, can't blame them, it's hard work.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:48 am
It must have almost choked poor Rupert.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 07:40 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

(asking Joe)

hey, what part of the city you in?

gotta crash, man. doin' oktoberfest here tomorrow night and promised the wife i'd help with the house work. pick up manana, muchacho.

Hey...could it be we have another guy for our beer get-togethers???
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 07:49 am
yeah..

Smile

Washington Heights..
0 Replies