Kyrgyzstan cannot find its constitution

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 10:21 am
Kyrgyzstan cannot find its constitution
Mystery over missing document is a distraction from concerns over planned changes to the law, which could erode citizens' human rights.

Quote:
Politicians in Kyrgyzstan have lost the country’s constitution.

It emerged during a debate over planned changes to the law that nobody in the central Asian country knew where the original document was.

The most recent version of the constitution was approved by referendum in June 2010, when changes were made to give more authority to parliament and diminish the power of the president.

On 19 October members of the Kyrgyz parliament queried the exact location of the original copy of the document during a debate on whether to allow another referendum to take place in December, which could result in the consistution being amended again.

Some commentators have suggested the mystery of the missing document is a ruse to distract the population from concerns over planned changes to basic law in the country, which has a turbulent recent political past. In spring 2010, parliament was ransacked in a revolution which overthrew president Kurmanbek Bakiyev.

Justice Minister Jyldyz Mambetalieva said her office had a copy of the 2010 constitution, but that the original is held by the presidential administration.

jespah

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 11:24 am
/checks under short coffee table leg/

Nope. I haven't seen it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 11:41 am
I bet that Ben Gates guy is involved somehow.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 12:55 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Kind of reminds me of that time when the by-laws of a local A.A. group went missing...along with the money in the treasury.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 01:34 pm
I just hate it when the legislators get loaded during their long night sessions and the next day they're hung over and can't find anything.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 03:55 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I recall when Uzbekistan lost its keys and had to thumb a ride
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 05:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I bet they recently moved house, right?
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 07:25 pm
@dlowan,
how many kyrgystanis does it take to file an archival document ?
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 08:30 pm
Just a hint: Has anybody checked to see if anyone's selling it on Ebay?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 09:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think somebody took it with them on the Silk Road to China.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=map+of+the+silk+road+in+Kyrgyzstan&fr=yhs-iry-fullyhosted_011&hspart=iry&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_011&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kyrgyzstan.orexca.com%2Fimg%2Fmaps%2Fmap4.jpg#id=0&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kyrgyzstan.orexca.com%2Fimg%2Fmaps%2Fmap4.jpg&action=click
neologist

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 11:18 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It's in my file cabinet under the name Kyzrgygyzstan.
Or Kyrgyzstankywitz.
Wait!
I can find it.
I'm Shure.
Why can't they just rename it Kansas?
Blickers

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 01:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone:

Anybody famous from Kyrgystan?

Interesting map, but outside of an arrow pointing toward Tashkent offscreen, I didn't recognize any famous names. I did see a big 70 mile long lake called Issyk Kul that i had never heard of.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 02:56 pm
@Blickers,
I'm very ignorant about the country, indeed the region.
As in other analyses, I don't know enough. I might even like the people there. I could suppose they are bereft of information, but I might be ignorant on that too.

Chances are, I might spook them as opinionated woman from far away. But I don't know that either.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 07:25 pm
@neologist,
Quote neologist:
Quote:
Why can't they just rename it Kansas?

Why not? They named some other Eurasian country Georgia.
dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 08:39 pm
@Blickers,
Very funny
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 08:43 pm
@Blickers,
I have been to both Tashkent and Issyk Kul. We visited only the eastern side of the lake.
In Tashkent, we visited by the tower.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=pictures+of+tashkent+city&fr=yhs-iry-fullyhosted_011&hspart=iry&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_011&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fd1vmp8zzttzftq.cloudfront.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F08%2Fpanorama-view-of-an-ancient-city-of-khiva-uzbekistan-1600x1070.jpg#id=1&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fd1vmp8zzttzftq.cloudfront.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F08%2Fpanorama-view-of-an-ancient-city-of-khiva-uzbekistan-1600x1070.jpg&action=click
Blickers

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 08:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Very interesting. Tashkent, by the photos, looks like a real jumping place for city that's out in the middle of nowhere.

Is the water in Lake Issyk Kul very clear? Whenever I see a large lake, I always think of the summers we rented a trailer on Lake Champlain. Crystal clear water in Lake Champlain.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 10:03 pm
@Blickers,
My memory isn't any good any more, but I don't remember it being polluted. According to a quick search, the lake is suffering from surface pollution.
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 03:48 am
@cicerone imposter,
I think I know where they left their Constitution. Its in the drawer with all the kys
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2016 08:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Looks like they never found it, because it never existed:

Quote:
[S]ince it was discovered to be missing, neither the Ministry of Justice, the archive or the administration of President Almazbek Atambayev claimed to have ever had it, suggesting the document was not simply misplaced. Atambayev’s office announced Tuesday that a master copy of the constitution, complete with all relevant signatures, did not exist.

But Prime Minister Farid Niyazov said the 2010 version of the constitution had already been published in the state newspaper of record at the time of the document’s drafting, which makes it legally binding without having to be signed.

This has avoided a constitutional crisis in the country but has embarrassed the Kyrgyz government and exposed a “disregard for legal procedure and a disrespect for the voters”, according to national news agency 24.

Here's an unexpected closing paragraph of the article, though:

Quote:
The Kyrgyz leader, who was hospitalized last month, and temporarily relieved of his presidential duties, has said he has no interest in doing this and plans to release a music album when he leaves office.

Yes, it's true:

Kyrgyzstan's President Is Planning to Release a Music Album; Almazbek Atambayev has already released two songs, available on YouTube

"The leader is releasing an album of 10 songs this fall to coincide with his 60th birthday, having already released a video for a song earlier this week," Radio Liberty reported last July - so I imagine the album's out by now:

Quote:
Along with the announcement about his upcoming album, Atambayev also released his second song on Thursday, also in Russian, entitled “I Cannot Live Without You”. The video for it is compiled from a 1967 Soviet film called Once Again For Love and it has gathered 5,000 views within the first few hours of its upload.

So, the Kyrgyz President published a song in Russian with a Soviet video. And it's not bad, really: